• Published 14th Aug 2019
  • 1,487 Views, 565 Comments

8 Magic Nights - The Blue EM2



It's a World of Joy, it's a World of Fears, it's a World of Spontaneous TFs...

  • ...
14
 565
 1,487

Night 4: Soarin' through the Heavens

Tom was in Epcot. This much was clear. But he was oh so close to where he wanted to be, and alas, it was not quite close enough. The reason why it was not quite close enough was because the monorail had come to an abrupt halt on the track, just outside the station. Because somebody had dropped an object of some description onto the track, and people were taking bets on what it would be.

"I think it'll be a pair of mouse ears," said one, glancing over at the time display.

"It wouldn't be up here, right?" said another passenger, who looked equally bored. "My bet is on the object being a pair of glasses."

"Hopefully not Katrina's," Tom sighed. "Well, they can't be as she was wearing them this morning. I would imagine it could be a tool of some sort. Maybe they were doing maintenance on the track and somebody misplaced a screwdriver or something like that?"

"If they did, it would be a real 'spanner in the works!', said the first, laughing at how very funny he was. It was just such a shame that nobody else in the compartment was sharing that opinion, and either groaned or just shook their heads, looking at the floor for entertainment.

"What if somebody's protesting on the track?" asked yet another person, keen to throw their hat into the ring. "I heard of a protest at Disneyland where somebody threw a orange bag designed to look like a Guantanamo Bay jump suit onto Big Thunder Mountain Railroad."

"Hopefully not," Tom replied. "If so, maybe they should look to their cars before attacking people who go to theme parks."

Just then, the train jolted forward, and the pilot spoke to the passengers. "Ladies and gentlemen, we do apologise for the delay. The hold up was caused by an object left on the track by a member of the engineering team that has now been retrieved. We shall be unboarding at Epcot station very shortly. Thank you for travelling on the Walt Disney World Resort monorail, and have a Magical day at the Walt Disney World Resort." The intercom cut out, and the train came to a stop in the platform. The doors slid open, and Tom hopped out and walked into the park.

"Good prediction," said the passenger who had laughed. "Do you have an eye for this sort of thing?"

"Let's just say that weird stuff tends to happen when I'm on holiday," Tom said. "Such as dodging a runaway tire that had come off a flatbed somewhere in Colorado. That was quite the adventure."


Tom walked into Mission: SPACE's queue line, and scanned his magic band against the reading unit. There was a momentary buzz, and then the reader turned green, followed by playing a short extract of 'When you Wish Upon a Star'. Tom proceeded onwards into the queue, and stopped at the end of the Fastpass line, where it merged into the main queue for Orange Team.

"Katrina said she didn't think it was too bad, but then again she was running the Green Team mission which is much less intense," Tom admitted. "Though, I did go on a shuttle simulator at Kennedy Space Center a few years back, so that ought to have been good preparation."

Tom was processed into the Orange Team holding bay. The briefing video then started up, showing the same people Katrina had seen the previous day.

"Welcome," she said, "to the International Space Training Center. You’re here today to train for the the greatest adventure in the history of mankind: space travel. I know you’re probably feeling a little nervous right now, but don’t worry — every astronaut has felt that way at one time or another. Even the heroes who went to the moon. But there is one thing they had that you don’t have yet: training. You’re here today for flight training — the most thrilling experience that any astronaut candidate will ever have." She walked over to a digital display. "Before you decide if it’s right for you, let me introduce you to your spacecraft: the X-2 Space Shuttle. It’s powered by solid hydrogen and can accelerate from zero to 6,000 in 60 seconds. So when you hear the words, “Go for launch,” you’ll definitely want to hang on." There was another pause, and some lights came up to indicate crew positions. "Now, you’ve already been organized into teams, and soon each of you will be assigned a position — Navigator, Pilot, Commander, or Engineer. The success of your mission will depend on all of you working together as a team. I’ll be your Capcom, and in a few minutes, I’ll give you your specific assignments. But first, our flight director has some safety instructions for you. Lieutenant?"

A young man glanced up at them. "Remember the team number you’re standing on. When the doors in front of you open, you will be directed to a flight station with that number on it. When you get there, please stand on the circles. During your Orange Team – More Intense Training mission, you will be enclosed inside X-2 flight simulators that produce deep-space flying conditions, such as turbulence and g-forces. Those who are prone to motion sickness or made uncomfortable by enclosed dark spaces, simulators, or spinning should bypass this experience."

CAPCOM smiled back at them. "As you can see, astronaut fight training isn’t like anything you’ve ever experienced before. It is intense, and if you would like to opt out, just ask any member of the ISTC crew for directions. As for the rest of you — report for your pre-flight briefing. It’s go time."

The doors swung open, and more Cast Members came forward. "Come people, let's move it!" called on, perfectly in character. "Remember the numbers you are on. Please stand on the same number when you reach the end of the corridor."

"Move it, move it, go, go, go!" called his compatriot. "To the boarding ramps."

Tom was standing on a 6, so went and stood on the corresponding number.

A video suddenly flickered up on screen. "Attention, astronaut candidates. You have selected Orange Team – More Intense Training. If you are prone to motion sickness or made uncomfortable by enclosed dark spaces, simulators, or spinning, you may exit the flight training area now. Ask a uniformed crew member for directions to the Green Team – Less Intense Training area."

"No way," Tom muttered, smiling. "I want the full experience."

"Congratulations, team!" CAPCOM cheerily greeted. "You have been selected to train for a mission to Mars. Teams are awaiting your arrival at the landing site here, at Valles Marineris. Your mission is to get to that landing site. Your flight path to Mars will take you around the Moon for a lunar gravity assist. But even with that “slingshot,” your trip will take three months, so we’ll have to put you into Hypersleep."

"Hypersleep activated."

"Don’t worry, it’ll only seem like a second or two to you. I’ll give you a wake-up call when you get to Mars."

"T-minus three minutes and counting," said another voice over the radio.

"Okay, now listen up — here are your assignments." Lights flickered on and off for each position in the crew. "Navigator, you’ll fire the thrusters for lunar orbit insertion and for decent to the surface of Mars." The lights suddenly lit up on Tom's position. "Pilot, on my signal, I’ll need you to trigger the second stage rocket. You’ll also deploy the shields. Commander, you will be responsible for first stage separation and activating manual control for landing. Engineer, when it’s bedtime, you will activate Hypersleep. You will also extend the wings for landing. Don’t worry, when it’s time to push the buttons, they will light up, then I’ll give you the go. One last thing. In the event of an emergency landing, there are control sticks at every crew position. Okay, Lieutenant, any final instructions for our new kids?"

"When the flight bay doors open, follow the markings on the floor to your capsule. Then move all the way across, taking your crew position in the cockpit, and stow all personal items in the compartment in front of you. Then reach up, and pull down your restraint. Now listen carefully. Leaning forward, closing your eyes, or looking left or right during your flight could disorient you, so keep your head back against the headrest, keep your eyes open at all times, and focus straight ahead even if you start to feel disoriented. They’re all yours, Capcom."

"Well, I guess that’s everything. Good luck, Mars team. You are on the clock." The display turned off.

"Attention, trainees: Follow the markings on the floor to your X-2 Trainer, and begin boarding now."

Tom shrugged. "What could possibly go wrong?"

"That's the wrong ride, mate," said a fellow British rider. "And besides, the quote is 'what can go wrong'?"

They stepped through the doors to get onboard the training capsules. The screens in front of them switched on.

"Store personal items in the compartment in front of you. Then reach up and pull down on the restraints."

Warning: Instrument panel closing. If needed, space sickness bags are located on the instrument panel.

CAPCOM's face then appeared on the screen. "Capcom to Mars X-2. Welcome aboard, team. After you get settled, check out your buttons. Navigator, welcome aboard. Now remember, during the mission you will be initiating lunar orbit and decent. Pilot, the X-2 is an excellent ship. All you have to do is fire the second stage and deploy the shields. Surgeon, how we doing?"

"All good for launch!" called another voice.

"Commander, just remember your assignments: First stage separation and manual control."

"Loading flight plan."

"Engineer, just a reminder: You will activate Hypersleep and extend the wings. Good luck, team. All of us here at Mission Control are proud to be a part of this historic liftoff."

Tom leaned back in his seat as the launch capsule began to move upright. "Walk in the park," he said confidently. Above them, beckoned outer space.

"Mission Control, this is the firing room. Give us the “go, go, go” for launch!"

"Network, you are go for launch."

Tom sighed. "Look straight ahead, hold onto the restraints, and carry out the instructions as needed. We should be fine if we work together."

"You take this really seriously, don't you?" asked another rider.

"He's just getting into character!"

"We have main engines start. 5… 4… 3… 2… 1… Liftoff!" The engines beneath them began to roar, and the rocket flew upwards into the sky at truly incredible speed. Tom could feel his cheeks being pulled back by the G force. "Mission Control, the tower is clear! They’re all yours."

"Mission Control to Mars X-2: You are go and throttle up. Commander, initiate first stage separation, now!"

"Yes ma'am, initiating first stage separation now!" the Commander exclaimed, punching the button in front of her. The first stage detached and the X2 continued to climb ever higher into the heavens.

"Computer override: initiated. Zero G confirmed."

Little did Tom realise, but the G Force did more than put strain on his body. He hadn't noticed, but his shirt and pants had merged into a single garment, which turned a light blue with a yellow lightning bolt pattern on it. The pressure pipes suddenly filled, stabilising the effects of the G Force on his body. His shoes changed into a pair of flight boots, and his flight suit became criss crossed with pockets and other additions.

Tom looked down in surprise. "What?" he asked, as a grey piloting glove formed on his left hand. This was soon followed by his right.

Not long after, his skin turned an icy blue, and then his hair went dark blue. His eyes went a very light green, and his body shifted to the rough size and shape of a man in his mid 20s.

"Who is this?" he asked. Suddenly, the voice of CAPCOM caught his attention, and he glanced back to the instrument panel.

"You’re looking good, team. Pilot, engage second stage rocket, now!"

"Got it, boss!" Soarin' replied, and punched the SECOND STAGE KEY. "Second Stage online!"

"Engaged. Leaving Earth orbit. Velocity: 15,000… 16,000."

"You should have visual of the Space Station now, and you are on course for your slingshot around the Moon." Just then, the ISS flew by, and the moon loomed ever closer. "Navigator, fire rockets for lunar orbit insertion, now!"

"Which one's that?"

"Left hand panel, by the switches, marked ORBIT ROCKETS!" Soarin' called.

"Roger that! Firing ORBIT ROCKETS now!"

"L.O.I. confirmed."

Below them, a beautiful vista of Earth opened up, and Soarin' felt his jaw fall open.

"Beautiful sight, isn’t it? Something to dream about on the way to Mars. Engineer, activate Hypersleep, now."

"Yes, ma'am," the Engineer replied. "Sweet dreams, guys."

"Activated. Hypersleep duration: three months. Monitoring…"


Soarin' was suddenly awoken by sirens blaring in the cockpit. The cockpit canopy slid open and revealed Mars below, with hundreds of asteroids orbiting.

"Rise and shine!" CAPCOM shouted. "Let’s go, team! We’ve got a problem."

"Beginning evasive maneuvers."

As the rocket darted back and forth, Soarin' looked confused. "What the heck? Those asteroids aren't supposed to be there!"

"This meteor storm is directly over your Mars landing site."

"Proximity alert."

"Pilot, deploy the shields, now!" CAPCOM ordered.

"Yes boss! Shields active... now!" Soarin' hit the button, and lights switched on upon his display to tell him the shields had turned on.

"Shields deployed."

"We’re ready for deorbit burn," Mission Control radioed.

"Navigator, fire rockets for descent, now!"

"Yes ma'am! Rockets fired!" the Navigator called, punching the controls.

"Rockets fired." The X2 suddenly began to glide toward the surface of Mars. "Two hundred miles to planet surface."

"Engineer, extend wings for gliding, now!"

"Popping wings!" the Engineer called. The display lit up with new buttons, and the rocket lurched backwards.

"Wings extended."

Suddenly, the alarms began blaring on board the craft. "Oh, what now?" the Commander called.

"We’ve lost autopilot!"

"Commander, activate manual control, now!"

"Activating manual control now!" the Commander called. "Pilot, I want you to call us in!"

"Yes sir!" Soarin' replied. "Hands on the stick!"

"Activated."

The shuttle began to violently lurch between canyon walls, and toward a landing strip ahead of them. Everywhere rocks were falling toward them.

"Pilot! What do we do?"

"We need all hands on the control sticks. Pull back. Pull back! Left! Pull left. Watch the canyon walls. Now, right. Ease it left."

The X2 suddenly smashed onto the runway. "They’re coming in too hot!"

"Back to center. Just hold it steady."

"It's gonna be close!" Soarin' shouted. "Hold that stick!"

"We're running out of runway!" the Engineer reported.

"Runway ends in one thousand feet. Two hundred feet."

"Watch the barriers!"

"Fifty feet."

"Pull back!" Soarin' tugged back on the stick with all his might.

"Hang on!" Mission Control called.

"Down and clear."

"Phew!" Soarin' laughed. "That has to be the roughest flight I've ever done."

The computer suddenly began beeping. "Alert! Location: canyon edge." The ground suddenly gave way beneath the rocket, and it tilted forwards on the edge of the abyss.

"Don’t move a muscle. Good work, team!" The personnel of Mission Control broke out in applause as CAPCOM smiled. "You made it to the landing sight. Welcome to Mars, and welcome to the Astronaut Corps."

The panels retracted, and the Flight Director spoke one last time. "Okay, heads back. Releasing restraints. Now push the restraints up, be sure to gather all your belongings, and follow the arrows out."

As they climbed out, the man next to Soarin' looked at him in confusion. "I swear you weren't dressed like that before we got on. Maybe the G Forces are just getting to me."

Soarin' laughed. "Maybe. Great run, though."

Author's Note:

Soarin's physical appearance is based on this image, but I chose to have him wear a flight suit instead of what is shown here.

The bit about the tire in Colorado? 100% true story.