• Published 19th Jul 2019
  • 284 Views, 5 Comments

The Split Mask He Donned - IAmBugHorse



A changeling doesn't realize how much he changes the life of ponies, for better or for worse... and since he's a changeling... things aren't going to be as easy as he wants them to be.

  • ...
 5
 284

Chapter 1 - Hiding in plain sight

Present Day

Sunday - 10:05 am


Split had been thinking to himself of all the possibilities where living with ponies would have been an awful idea, but of course he'd have to do it. If he didn't then what was the point in being alive. He'd survived this long, might as well settle down in a nice calm homely town, or at least that's what he had hoped. Of course living with ponies as a disguised changeling might not leave much room for peacefulness.

He, however didn't have anymore time to think, as the train stopped, and he arrived at his new home, Ponyville. With just his glasses, his wits, and his courier bag full of page after page of disguises, he stepped off the train. He was himself, but as a pony. His fur was grey, matching his eyes, while also being grey, they were a lighter shade. His mane and tail were charcoal black fading into light grey at the tips. And his cutie mark was a simple diagonal white mask, split at the middle. It was like a masquerade mask, though not as fancy as one. His bag was light brown and had a patch on the front of it that was a darker brown. The sewing done to fix it was mediocre at best. The only thing he didn't have was any clothing on his back, but he was fine with that. As long as no one knew who he was under his disguise, then it would all be perfect. He trotted down the path hoping not to run into anypony and just head straight to his home without any interference... however the universe had other plans. Just as he turned the corner down a different path, he bumped into somepony and they both ended up falling to the floor with a hard thud.

"Yah!" both Split and the pony he walked into shouted, before they fell to the floor.

"Sorry, I... uh, didn't mean to walk into you," Split said, getting up, using a hoof to help up the very pink mare he had just crashed into.

"It's alright... I wasn't really looking eith-" she was about to finish her sentence as she got up, but when she saw him, she gasped, jumped up into the air, and sped off to who knows where.

"..." he stayed silent for a good couple of seconds, probably rethinking his life choices. 'What kind of weird ass town is this...? More over... I don't think ponies... EARTH ponies... are supposed to do that...' he thought to himself. He shook his head, sighed, and continued back to heading towards his house. Looking in the distance, his home was right there. The surrounding area was about as bland as one could make: more houses were next to it, there was a singular tallish tree to the left of it, ponies were passing by him smiling, going on about their day. Though... he did catch a few mares looking at him... okay maybe a lot more than a few... okay- ALL the mares were looking at him. Every mare he passed by gave him the look of interest. 'I haven't even talked to them yet and they are already looking at me...' he thought to himself. He wondered what that was all about, he wasn't that good looking was he? He shook his head from the thought of it, and walked up to his front door. Pulling out the key from his bag, he unlocked the lock with a clink, and opened the door into his new home. The inside of his home was normal; he had a couch, an empty bookshelf, a coffee table, and a recliner. The kitchen was empty, save for a table to eat at, counters, a stove, fridge, sink, and cabinets. 'Is everything here going to be bland and normal... I'm pretty sure that normal has been said more than five times...' he thought to himself. On the table was a cupcake, a simple decorated cupcake with a note in front of it. The note read, 'Welcome to Ponyville! Hope you enjoy living here like the rest of us!

He picked up the cupcake in his magic, and held it up in front of him, tilting his head as he smelt and licked it. Finding nothing wrong with it, he took a bite out of it. It tasted amazing! Whoever baked this must have been really talented. The texture, the flavor, everything combining together to make an amazing treat. Voicing his opinion, he said, "Sweet Celestia... this a damn good cupcake..mn... well this is an interesting way to introduce somepony.. mnh ah.. new to town..." he finished swallowing the sweet treat, as he set his stuff down, and walked over to the couch, "maybe... I'll just take a quick nap... this was an interesting day I've had..." with that, he laid down on the couch, falling asleep from the tiring day he had, even though it was still morning and he was just being lazy.


Sunday - 6:52 pm


Split slowly woke to the orange sunlight piercing through the window, from the color alone he knew it was already sunset. As he sat up though, a pop was heard from his back, letting him know he needed to rest in an actual bed. This wasn't old news since he was so used to sleeping on the ground, and not a soft bed or couch. In all honesty, couches were way, WAY comfier than the solid ground.

"Sunset already, it might be a good time to walk around to get some fresh air," he said, stretching his arms, "and when I get back I'll actually sleep on the actual bed and not this, my back 'll thank me." He realized his lights were completely off, and only one curtain had been opened to let in the sunlight to wake him up. He was sure that he'd left all the curtains open before he went to sleep, and he knew he at least left the kitchen light on.

"What the... I thought I left at least some lights stay on..." he muttered, stretching a bit more, and standing up, "I'll think about it more when I get back from walking around, need to take in my surroundings." He headed to the door opening it, and breathing the fresh air, stepping out into the new town he had just moved into, closing the door behind him. The town quickly turned from a nice yellow-orange of the sunset, to a dark-ish blue and white from the moon and small house lights that hung from different houses. He walked around, not many being out at this time since... it was night time, who would be around here at this time.

"I hope I can find somepony soon, maybe there's somepony around here..." he muttered to himself. Looking around, mostly everypony he saw was walking around in a group. Though he did notice several others walking alone... especially one drunk mare...

"H-Hey theeere y-yo- hic -y-young man... hozzzabout y-youuu and mee gooo have soomme... fuuunnn at mmmmmy p-pla- hic -place..." she slurred as she stumbled up to Split, obviously drunk and still drinking. He took a step back as the mare smelled of alcohol, the smell radiating off her and her body. He quickly took the bottle away from her, just to make sure she did not hurt herself, and/or anypony else she would encounter.

"Ma'am... you're drunk... go home, do you want me to take you home? Where do you live?" He questioned her, as he picked up her weak, drunk body. The mare had mumbled something, and gave a loud, rather impressive, belch into the air before responding with, "HEEEY! Th-Thhhhhaatssss... thaaats mmmyy-myy... driiiink... Y-Y'heeearrr?! Buut siiinnnce.. youuuu are preeeeetyyy cuuuuteee i-i'll leeet iiit.. sl-slide.. nooow ta-mn... taaake mmmee hoooomee annnnd... mnh..." her voice lowered and she mumbled more things, he did manage to hear, "21ssssst... streeeeet... thee.. whiiite home wiiith the cuuute purple.. purple... pur...purple som...somethings..."

The disguised ling sighed internally, and hung his head as he idly took some love from her slowly, as he carried the drunk passed out mare to her home. The fact she called him cute filled his head, unsure what to think of it... perhaps it had something to do with the stares he got that morning. He wasn't that good looking was he? He was just like his ling form, except, in the form of a unicorn. Shaking his head, he saved the thought for later, and walked on, heading to the house of the drunk mare... wherever it was.


Sunday - 8:19 pm


It took him well over an hour to find the house, since 21st street, was at the edge of town, but the ling finally discovered the house after remembering the mare had said something purple colored. And low and behold, a simple white home with purple flowers in front of the house in a flower bed. Walking up to the front door of the house, seeing the lights on, he rang the door bell, hoping somepony would take so he wouldn't have to leave her there on the front door step. Split had thrown away the bottle into a near by trash bin, just to be safe. A filly's voice called from inside, saying she was on her way to the door. The lights above him turned on as the filly opened the door.

"Hello-? Oh! Hello mister. What can I do for you today?" The filly sounded oddly calm about seeing a stallion at her doorstep. Even then, he also remained calm, and asked her, "Well you see, I found her walking around lost and she said lived here.. Does she live here," before as he lifted the mare off her and set her down on the ground softly.

"Oh its my mom..." She let out a soft sigh before dragging her inside and saying, "Thank you mister, for bringing my mom back home from one of her crazy nights she likes to have, this is normal..." she finished in a somber tone, as she walked back to the door to close it.

"Wow... I'm sorry this happens to you... But at least she's safe, right?" he replied with a question. The fact this filly knew her mother was a drunkard is saddening, but she seems to manage on her own.

"No it's fine mister, I know it's not good for her, but she can't help it... she says she needs it. So... Thank you, once again for bringing back my mom, mister...?" she said in a questioning tone, looking up and down at him, not recognizing him.

"Oh right, I'm new to town, my name is Split, Split Mask, nice to meet you," He replied as nodded at her. This town might not be so bad after all with nice ponies like this one.

"Well good night Mr. Mask! I'll maybe see you on another day," She said as she began to close the door, with him replying with, "You too, take care, your mother too." With that, the little filly closed the door behind her as the lights turned off, leaving Split in the dark with the moon shining down upon him. Looking up, it was nearing midnight in a few hours, he should return home now, since his business here was finished. Turning around he made his way back to his home, while still ending up lost along the way.


Sunday - 10:52 pm


Sighing to himself, wiping the sweat off his brow, he finally made it home, and it still wasn't quite midnight just yet. Pulling out the keys to his home, he unlocked the door, and opened it, having it swing open with relative ease. Walking into his dark home he set down his keys, and sighed, looking at the clock on his wall... or would if he could find it. He looked around to find the clock, the time being 10:52, slowly moving closer to 10:53, "Damn, is it that late already... sweet Celestia I should get some rest..." he mumbled to himself, as he flicked the lights on to get a better look at the room, before heading up to his room, but... boy did he not expect what he saw after the lights flashed on...

"SURPRISE!!!!!

He quickly jumped up in the air and fell down, clearly terrified out of his life from the sudden surprise he got from the loud sound of the many ponies that screamed into the room. He laid on the ground breathing in and out, the room getting hazier, and hazier... Pure terror filled his eyes as he struggled to breath. The sheer panic in his body sent his mind on overload, unable to think at the moment. The his fading field of vision was filled with fuzzy colorful figures, all of them surrounding him... hazy... lot's and lot's of colors... their.. their voices were drowned out... the movement was hazier... his breathing becoming sluggish... the foggy sounds filled his mind... getting louder and louder... his breath... getting shallow... eyes... closing... light... fading...

And then, everything, went dark and silent for the disguised changeling. No sound. No Light. Nothing.

Author's Note:

Surprise surprise, 'nother story idea, and boy is it interesting. This was an interesting story to make and honestly has been sitting around my mind for quite a while.

If you have concerns for about all the oc's used for disguises, they are all mine and not stolen from anyone. If you have an oc that is strikingly similar to a disguise then I apologize for any and all coincidences. They were all made out of pure thinking and were named but not designed in one day, some took longer than others, many were scrapped due to their redundancy and absolute stupidity for them to exist.

But, I'm keeping you here longer than you should be so, this is Honist, signing off.

Comments ( 2 )

-Begin Comment-

This chapter was much cleaner and I personally couldn't find a mistake.

I'm loving this story so far, and hope to see more, don't overwork yourself and stay creative.

-End Comment-

Really good chapter, I hope you continue this story

Login or register to comment