• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 444 Views, 2 Comments

Dearest Applejack - ShadowSprint



After vampire fruit bats create problems on the farm, Applejack moves away to make extra money for Sweet Apple Acres. Featured is a collection of letters Granny Smith wrote to Applejack, keeping her updated on all the happenings back home.

  • ...
 2
 444

Celestial Year 1090

Ponyville, Equestria
Celestial Year 1090


My Dear Big Sister Applejack;

I’m sorry for not writing to ya sooner Applejack, and I don’t rightly know how best to say this in a letter. But, Granny Smith has passed away. Don’t worry. She wasn’t alone when it happened. She’d actually been spending a week with me and my family. You should’ve been here Applejack. Whenever she had the chance, Granny was a playing with her great grandchildren. Seated down on the floor with them, and just a coloring and telling her stories like she always did. The smile on her face, it was the happiest I’d seen her in quite a long time. I think she liked having the kids there. They helped her feel young, ya know?

She passed in her sleep, about as peacefully as anyone could ever hope to go. We buried her out next to grandpa, just where she wanted. I wish you would’ve been there Applejack. She talked so much about you these past few months. Every time she got herself a letter from you, she’d be a showing it off to the whole family. Treasured every one of those she did. And ya know what, Granny really couldn’t have stayed as happy as she did without you supporting her. I think we all appreciate that the most. It meant so much to her to stay with her kin and out of some nursing home. Heck, every picture you sent went on a wall or fridge. Just like all of us, she really loved you.

She really missed the farm though. You could see it in her eyes when she’d be looking out the window in her rocker. Too used to staring out the window at home and seeing our fields, or the barn. I think it agitated her, even after all this time. That’s why ya moved. To help pay for things and keep the farm with us. I just wished it woulda turned out differently. Maybe then you woulda stayed, and who knows what might’ve happened.

I gotta tell you though; when Granny did stay with us, she took complete control of my kitchen. Funny thing, my husband Dusty Star, tried making her a sweet ole apple pie. Why I’d never seen a pony kicked so fast outta a kitchen then I did that day. Granny went on about this and that on how he was doing it completely wrong. Ended up making the thing herself. Of course it wasn’t with Sweet Apple Acre apples, so to her it was no better than some store-bought pie. Sometimes I don’t know how Grandpa ever put up with a mare like her.

Applejack, it certainly has been a while since we spoke to one another. Maybe you ought to think of coming back down to Ponyville for a spell. It’d give you a chance to say a proper goodbye to Granny, and well, we’d all love to see you again. Please consider it.


Your little sister,
Apple Bloom

Author's Note:

Well here it is. This is the final chapter. I do hope that everyone has enjoyed this little drabble. It's something a bit on the different side for me, and while quite short, was meant to give a glimpse into the Apple's lives through hardships and happiness.

This little collection of letters is actually based off of a song structured in much the same format. The name of the song is: "Killkelly" and it is sung by Robbie O'Connell. It's a very beautiful, yet sad song regarding the potato famine in Ireland. Click here for a link to the song for those that want to listen.

Thank you all for reading, and you leave comments or favorite this story, thank you so much for that. It is very much appreciated.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment