• Published 29th Dec 2018
  • 628 Views, 7 Comments

In The Know - Double Barrel



Maud learns of an unorthodox truth concerning Pinkie.

  • ...
 7
 628

Before The Know

One would assume that the trains running through the rural fields south-west of Ponyville were barely occupied. However, the main railway from Canterlot to Las Pegasus runs through these parts, so it came as no surprise to Maud that the carriage she occupied was soon filled with other ponies once the train left the vast fields of her rock farm.

Not that she particularly minded either way. Around her, ponies chatted tirelessly about all kinds of meaningless topics, mostly their experiences with the lottery, slot machines, and other gambling devices judging by the random words which made it over to her. Maud was sitting close to the door, the seat next to her empty.

Or so it seemed as a small little companion resided on the soft, red pillow. The grey little rock Maud carried with her wherever she went was more than enough company. His smooth surface indicated that he had been a river rock for a long time. For some reason, he had ended up on the rock farm and subsequently in Maud’s pocket.

There was nothing extraordinary about Boulder. He wasn’t a shiny gem, he wasn’t overly large or small. He wasn’t even made out of an uncommon type of rock. No, Boulder was an ordinary, unobtrusive, igneous rock. The average pony would probably walk by him with no second thought, ignored and shunned for his ordinary and unexpressive nature. And this nature is precisely what Maud liked about him.

“Do you think Pinkie will be home? It’s a surprise visit after all.”

Boulder remained silent – of course he did. And Maud expected nothing else. No judgment about going against her nature, no hollow compliments on doing this for Pinkie. Boulder just accepted her no matter what and she could enjoy his company with no need for pointless conversation.

“Next stop! Ponyville!”

While a few ponies stood up and hurried to the doors, Maud carefully scooped up Boulder and tucked him away in her pocket. There was no haste as the train had yet to come to a complete stop.

However, once she departed she wasted no time on the platform and headed directly for Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie should have been about to finish her work and if Maud planned it perfectly, she could arrive just before her impulsive sister went off to spend some time elsehow.


Right in the middle of town stood a large building one could easily mistake for a witch's gingerbread house. Sugarcube Corner, despite its appetising appearance, was not edible though, as Pinkie had once found out the hard way. Since it was difficult to miss, especially with the newly added cupcake and candles on top which served as Pinkie's personal room, Maud had no troubles navigating to it without asking for directions. And she'd rather avoid to. Ponyville folk can be... excitable at times. It's the perfect place for her sister.

Without knocking, since the bakery was technically still open, Maud entered the vending room. A strong odour of muffins, cakes, and frostings wafted over her. The fact that it was so late in the day proved to Maud that the Cakes made everything fresh, every day. Not that she ever doubted it – Maud had often taste-tested for Pinkie and the results were always amazing – unless it was yet another one of Pinkie's weird experiments. Cupcakes and hot sauce are not the most appetising of combinations.

Walking past the counter, Maud directly went up the stairs. It wouldn't have been a proper surprise if she called for her or let the Cakes get Pinkie. Due to the small space the cupcake on Sugarcube Corner provided, the stairs ended in a trap door in the ceiling, leading to Pinkie's room. Maud quickly pushed it open and stepped right in.

Pinkie was not there.

Of course. She must have already went out, the Cakes sending her off early. Maud turned around to leave and try her luck in town when...

"One moment please, Mrs Cake!" rang Pinkie's voice from a level above.

So Pinkie was still here. Maud slowly stepped back into the room. Some party decorations still hung from the ceiling, balloons lazily floating about, tethered by string to railings. The furniture however was returned back from wherever Pinkie stashed her chairs and couches to make room for a dance floor and party tables.

Maud sat down on one of Pinkie's couches and took in the room. Her gaze landed on a bunch of framed pictures going up the stairway to an interior balcony. They featured several parties Pinkie threw in town. Not only was everypony on those pictures having their time of their life, Pinkie was always at the centre of it, enjoying herself just as much.

The last picture caught Maud's attention. It was the first party Pinkie threw, as far as she knew. It happened one day in the storage silo on the Pie's rock farm. Nothing was odd about the picture per-se, yet something seemed odd anyway. Pinkie was once again the centre of the party, dancing away on the table. Her parents and sisters, including Maud herself were there as well, having quite some fun with her, despite...

Wait. Who took the picture? All of the family was present on the photo and nopony else was there, so who...?

A crash came from above. Apparently Pinkie was rushing to get to her, not knowing that she wasn't Mrs Cake. Suppressing the sudden urge to roll her eyes, Maud let her gaze wander once more. The room had enough to take in so she wouldn't get bored.

Right in front of her on a small desk lay a few loose pages. Maud didn't want to pry but although she forced herself to look at something else in the room, soon enough she found herself leaning forward and reading the topmost one.


Dear Mr Polsky,

I hope you have not been too busy lately. Your line of work sounds exhausting and I wouldn't want someone to overwork himself. Our world is so big so I am sure you and your friends have been working hard on it. With all that is happening constantly, you must be really stressed to keep up and make things happen. If I could, I would throw you a huge party to take your mind off of things but that isn't exactly possible, now is it?

Sincerely,

Pinkie Pie


As Maud finished reading, she turned her head over to the balcony. Right in front of the door stood Pinkie, frozen in place. Her eyes shrunk to pinpricks and were locked right on the parchment in Maud's hooves, her mouth shut tight. For a moment, the deafening silence extended itself for what felt like an eternity before Maud broke it with the only response she could come up with.

"Explain, Pinkie."

Comments ( 4 )

Color me intrigued. Wonder what the world shattering secret is that Pinkie's hiding?

NEEDS MORE SHOTGUNS! REEEEEE

9379815 How could this possibly be complete?

9380762
Ah, sorry. A while back, I left this story, but must have accidentally left it on complete. I've changed that now, and may well be working on this again...

Login or register to comment