• Published 1st Nov 2018
  • 13,879 Views, 3,699 Comments

The Haunting - Admiral Biscuit



My new house in Equestria came with more than I'd bargained for.

  • ...
30
 3,699
 13,879

Chapter 7

The Haunting
Admiral Biscuit

Even though I tried to sleep in the afternoon, it wasn’t always possible. My body wasn’t entirely happy with the new sleep schedule, and while Haywards Heath was much quieter than a human town would have been, it still had busy days. Market days brought out lots of ponies, both shoppers and merchants. I usually couldn’t hear the market itself from my house, but there was a lot of foot traffic—hoof traffic, I suppose—by my house those days.

I had to go to market, too, and while I’d been the kind of shopper that preferred getting in and out of the store as quickly as possible, with as little interaction with others as was an option, that really didn’t work in a pony town. I had dozens of individual merchants I had to haggle with, and most of them wanted to make a little bit of small-talk as well.

And now that I had a ghost in my attic, I actually wanted to talk, too. I wanted my next door neighbor to come up and ask me if I’d seen the ghost. I wanted a pony who lived down the street to tell me who she was. I was starving for information, and not getting any.

I was buying a bunch of carrots from a mare named Chantenay. She didn’t sell carrot-shaped carrots, which had put me off at first: they were instead short and fat with blunt ends, resembling a larger version of the mini carrots that could be found in Earth grocery stores. They were also delicious, much richer than it seemed a carrot should be.

She gave me a bit of a discount when I offered to leave the greens behind. Maybe they were a fine snack for a pony or a pet rabbit, but carrot greens weren’t for me.

I’d looked through my flower garden a couple of times already, just to see if there was anything out of the ordinary, but I hadn’t found anything. I don’t know what I was expecting to find, anyway. It was plants and dirt and that was about all that I knew about gardening.

I had read a mystery story once where the murderer had buried a gun in a garden and the iron from the gun had caused the flowers to grow a different color. Since there weren’t any flowers in my flower garden, not this late in the year, that probably wasn’t a useful bit of knowledge. And I wouldn’t have known if flowers were growing the wrong color anyway.

But there were plenty of flower ponies who would know, and several of them were at the market, so I asked one over.

Of course, when I was on my way back home I was kicking myself. It nagged at my mind that a garden would be a decent place to hide a body, and her interest in the garden could be because that’s where her body was. Maybe once I dug it up and interred her properly, she’d go away. Was that what I wanted, though?

And what if there was a body there? I knew that if there was, I hadn’t done it. I’d just bought the house, but I was the outsider. Would the judge say guilty on a make-believe trial? I was committed now; I couldn’t say no. If I did, it would be even more suspicious.

I paced around the house like a caged animal and almost jumped out of my skin when she knocked on my door. I had to remind myself to breathe, to act normal, and why was I trying to pretend when I literally knew nothing? I was not a murderer, and a ghost was not an accusation.

Was it?

Magic threw everything into question. Half of pony names at least were too convenient, and the number might be higher and I just didn’t get the reference. Their names tied into their cutie marks and that was just the way it worked. Surely they were named by an oracle . . . if their cutie marks had been there the moment they were born, that would be one thing, but they weren’t. A filly named Strawberry Shortcake would get a themed cutie mark and be good at making strawberry shortcake and I could feel that I was skating on the edge of madness.

Everything felt off. It should have been a dark and stormy night, but it wasn’t. It was a bit chilly but not too bad, not bad enough to justify my shivering.

Of course, she took it in stride and made a joke about my lack of fur, and then we went back out to the garden.

I was actually contemplating if I could clear the fence in a single leap. Probably; it wasn’t very tall.

I was expecting her to point with an accusing hoof.

She did not.

And in a way, that was a let-down. There was nothing mystical about my garden. There were flowers there, flowers that were mostly dormant because of the season. There were also weeds, because the garden hadn’t been properly tended in some time.

That elicited a small frown of disapproval from her.

There was a rusty trowel that she found, half-buried. It was old; it must have been old. The blade was pitted with rust and caked with dirt. The handle was split, and there was algae or moss growing on it.

That was all she found. It was a perfectly normal garden, and she gave me some advice on tending it and told me what plants were in it, and I probably gave vague signs of understanding, but I could not remember a single word she’d said.

•••••

I sat in the kitchen and looked at the garden. It didn’t do anything.

I turned the trowel over in my hands. I’d thrown that away while she had been exploring my garden—I don’t know what I would have done if she’d asked if she could have it—and I’d recovered it once she was gone.

There wasn’t much to it. It was old, and it had clearly been abandoned outside for a while. It was right on the edge of being repairable . . . back on Earth, I’d have chucked the thing in the wastebasket without a moment’s thought, maybe been thankful that I hadn’t hit it with the lawnmower, and perhaps spent a moment musing about who’d left it behind and then considered it no more.

That might have been what I should have done here, but I didn’t. I sat in the kitchen and I turned it over in my hands and sometimes I brushed a little bit of dirt or rust off my pants and I wondered if it was antique.

In Equestria, it was really hard to judge the age of houses. If there was a progression of architectural styles, I didn’t know what it was. Houses tended to look a lot alike whether they’d been just constructed or were dozens or maybe hundreds of years old, and as far as I’d been able to find, nowhere on the paperwork for my house did it say how old it was.

It was reasonable to assume that the toys in the attic were hers, but how old were they?

What had she been doing in the garden? Was this her trowel? Would she notice that it was gone?

•••••

Haywards Heath had a cemetery.

I couldn’t say if that was surprising or not. I didn’t know enough about pony customs to be sure. But in appearance, it wasn't that far removed from a human cemetery to be terribly confounding. There were some traditional-looking graves, patches of grass that were just marked with headstones. And there were also some more ornate stone structures, cairns or crypts scattered about.

There was also a memorial wall on the east side.

How the graves were marked was remarkably inconsistent. Sometimes there was only a cutie mark; other times there were more details.

I wasn’t an expert on pony ages, but I figured that they’d roughly align with human ages, and even with the frustrating inconsistencies, I sort of figured it out.

I reasoned that as a ghost, there wouldn’t be any disturbed sod above her grave. Had she been a zombie or some other kind of walking dead, there might have been, but it stood to reason that a ghost could just pass through the ground like it was nothing.

Three complete circuits of the cemetery and nothing felt right.

I could have missed it; that was always a possibility. But I didn’t think I had. Nowhere had I gotten the sense of restless spirit, and I was learning that I should trust my gut. She hadn’t been buried here, I was sure of that.

What that meant, I didn’t know. There had been old markers, ones that were surely older than the trowel, but none of them were hers so as the sun dipped over the horizon, I went back to my box-fort and waited.