• Published 11th Dec 2011
  • 1,076 Views, 6 Comments

Fall of The First Lunar Republic - Bpendragon



Celestia and Luna tell how Luna once had peaceful control of Equestria.

  • ...
 6
 1,076

A Momentous Occasion

Another long day had finished in the royal court of Canterlot. Celestia had just dismissed the last guest and was preparing to leave for her quarters when her sister, walking in from one of the hallways, stopped her.

“Sister, c-can I raise the moon tonight? I feel powerful enough, a-and I think that tonight would be as good a time as any. I mean, I’ve been back for a year, haven’t I?” Seeing Celestia hesitate, Luna clasped her hoves in front of her and added, “Please Celestia?” She pressed again at Celestia’s resistance, “If I remember correctly you were in my position some eleven hundred years ago, and I let you then.”

Celestia mulled this over for a second, quickly levitating a calendar to her face and putting it back down. “Luna I know how much you’ve wanted to give back to this land after the suffering you caused all those years ago, but can you wait just one more night? Tomorrow is a full moon, and I believe that it would make a perfect backdrop as I... er... We, tell Twilight and her friends about the creation of the Elements of Harmony. I was planning on doing so eventually, but this seems to be as good a time as any. If my mind serves me correctly you were most of the force behind them, weren’t you? Rather appropriate, I think. Then we’ll talk of the splendor that was the First Lunar Republic.”

Luna’s face drooped slightly, but her eyes sparkled as she realized that she was finally going to be able to get back to her duties. Then,as Luna hugged the other alicorn with excitement, speaking in joy, “Oh thank you Celestia. Sister, oh thank you!”

“Luna, since this is your party, so to speak, why don’t you send Twilight the invitation? I recommend not actually using the word ‘party’ in there though; Pinkie Pie would kill us all with sugar.” Luna nodded an emphatic yes. Celestia hovered a quill and some parchment to her. “You know how to get this to Spike?” Again Luna nodded. “Good, have them arrive an hour before sundown, and make sure that you have Silver Scroll polish your best tiara, the one with that wonderful sapphire set in the starry sky.”

Luna galloped to her room, giddy with joy.


---

Twilight Sparkle was just settling down for the evening, she was trying to catch up on her history reading, but was aggravated that she could not find anything prior to Nightmare Moon’s short-lived tyranny, and all of those were written hundreds of years after the fact. She wanted a first-hoof account, but after months of searching through her whole library, and scouring the ancient halls of the Royal Library in Canterlot she seemed no closer to finding anything that would be able to help her.

Spike came in from his errands carrying groceries parchment, as well as two scrolls. Twilight saw him come in and spoke to him. “Hey Spike, thanks for picking this all up, after all, you are my number one assistant” she spoke giving him a hug and ruffling his spines. “Who are the letters from? I wasn’t expecting any deliveries today. My stipend does not come till tomorrow, and Ditzy has already come by with the Pegasus Post. Though I will hazard a guess and say that those came after you picked up the parchment, some of it looks Dragonfired.”

Spike nodded, “Yeah, the one with the blue seal came first, it’s not from Celestia; the magic was clumsier, and that’s not her seal on it. The second one is from Celestia, and I think it’s something to the effect of ‘Spike, please don’t send me a pile of blank parchment.’

“You see, I had accidentally launched half the stack right after the first letter came. When I say the magic was clumsy, I mean that whoever sent it hasn’t used that spell in a long time, if at all. I was on the ground hiccuping for quite some time. Thankfully, Celestia also sent back the blank parchment, that was nice.”

Twilight popped open Celestia’s letter first. “Yes Spike, you are correct, in fact all it says is ‘Spike, please don’t send me a pile of blank parchment.’ Signed Princess Celestia.”

She then turned her attention to the second letter, studying the seal closely. Her eyes shot open in realization. “Spike, this seal, it’s Luna’s! I remember reading about it, but only speculation has been made about its design. This must be one of the first times she’s used it since she came back from the moon! I wonder what it says?”

She carefully peeled the seal off, levitating it to her desk to study closer later. Clearing her throat she read from the letter:

Dear Twilight Sparkle and Friends,
I Princess Luna would like to invite the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony, and Spike, to Canterlot Castle tomorrow night. I will be raising the moon for the first time in over a thousand years, I’m so excited! My sister and I would like to tell you all about how the Elements of Harmony were created, and about a topic I know you wish to learn more about Twilight, The First Lunar Empire. I have actually hidden those books away so that I might be the one to tell you. Celestia and I would like you to arrive an hour before sunset, and will be sending transportation to accommodate as such. We will also provide dinner for you all. Oh, Please do come! I feel like a filly again, I can’t wait!
-Princess Luna

“Spike, can you get a response to Luna? Or, do you have to send it through Celestia?” Twilight asked, lowering the page from her face. “Either way, please send a response saying that I will be attending, and that I am heading out to tell the others now.”

Spike nodded as Twilight trotted out into the darkening dusk. Humming to herself and thinking, Luna never specifically said party, Celestia probably has told her that Pinkie will kill everypony with sugar, I’ll try to convey that to he- Just then the Pink Party Pony popped out from behind one of the buildings.

“Hey Twilight how are you? I’m doing great what about you? What are you doing out so late usually you’re reading right-HHMPH”

Keeping her hoof planted firmly in Pinkie’s mouth she spoke, “I’m fine Pinkie, I was actually just heading out to find all you girls, we’ve been invited to the Castle to witness Princess Luna raise the moon for the first time in a thousand years. She said that we would also learn about the First Lunar Republic and how the Elements of Harmony were created. I’m so excited, for this.. um... EVENT, not a party, but an event, ok?” She then removed her hoof to let Pinkie respond.

Pinkie Pie simply nodded, “Oki Doki Loki! I was just taking some pastries to Fluttershy’s place, want me to tell her?”

“Yes please, and could you stop by Rarity’s on the way back? Do tell her that a full dress is not required, and that she need not freak out. This sounds like a fairly private event.”

“Sure thing Twilight! I hear that Dashie is over helping the Carrot and Apple Families get their crops ready with some extra rain, so you should see her when you talk to Applejack.”

“Thanks Pinkie, see you tomorrow!” Twilight shouted back as she cantered towards Sweet Apple Acres.

---

“A touch more on the south fields Dash, those gosh-darned hills block all the rain” Applejack called towards a cyan streak darting across the sky, dancing over the farms of the area, making sure everypony was ready for the fall harvest.

“On it!” was Rainbow Dash’s only reply.

Twilight had just realized that she was standing in the road between the two southern fields when Dash bucked the cloud of its rain. She was soaked instantly, not even having time to attempt to conjure an umbrella or rain coat, then, just as suddenly as it had started the rain ceased its flow.

“Oh hey Twilight, didn’t see you there, hehe... oops.” Dash chuckled, “What brings you out at this time of day? Usually you’re studying, but first, let me help you with that.”

“No need Rainbow Dash, I’ve been practicing a spell that I think will work just fine.” Twilight called to the sky. Quickly a light burst forth from her horn and a warm breeze blew through the region, everypony was comforted and dried of any wetness at all, be it sweat, tears or rain, but the crops and ground stayed damp from the recent rain.

“Wow Twilight, ya sure outdone yourself this time. “ Applejack spoke, coming down the road, “But, I reckon ya’ll ain’t here for chit-chat. What’s up, sugarcube?”

“You’re right, I’m not. We’ve all been invited to Canterlot Castle tomorrow night to witness Luna raise the moon for the first time since her return. Apparently she and Celestia will also be telling us about how the Elements of Harmony were created, as well as what the First Lunar Republic was like.” then her voice speeding up as she spoke, “I’m so excited, I’ve been trying to research this subject ever since she came back, and I haven’t been able to, because she apparently hid all the books. Just so she could tell me about it.”

Rainbow Dash spoke up, cutting her off, “Whoah Twilight, ever heard of decaffeinated coffee? I know you bookish types like to stay up late with that nasty stuff. But seriously, how much have you had tonight?”

“None. I’m just excited, that’s all.”

Applejack spoke up, “I tried some of that there coffee stuff once, felt like I could buck apples to the stars, with gold horseshoes mind you, and those things ah just for show, they don’t do no good for anything, except to flash as a business card, and we shore do like the extra income that comes from the smithy. Hey, how about I wear them tomorrow to this fancy story time?”

Suddenly the heavens erupted in excited squeals, “Hey Twilight, do you know if the, squeak Wonderbolts are gonna be there? ‘Cause if they are, OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH!”

“Rainbow Dash, I don’t think the Wonderbolts will be there, it sounds like it’ll just be a few of Luna’s closest friends, and apparently we count, I’m fairly certain that saving her from being Nightmare Moon had something to do with it...” After a short bout of contemplation she continued, “Same goes for the horseshoes AJ. So will you guys be able to make it?”

“Sure as sugar, sugarcube.”

“Of course I will silly, I’ve got nothing better to do, and this has potential to be one of the coolest stories EVER. Why would I want to miss it?”

Twilight called back over her shoulder, already heading back to town, “Great girls, so I’ll see you over at my place right after lunch, don’t wear anything fancy, and don’t worry about dinner, Princess Luna said it would be provided.”

Twilight was thinking as she was walking, horn idly sending off sparks while she thought. Coalescing and dancing amongst each other before fading out. Why did she invite us? We took away her complete control of the kingdom for the second, and possibly third, time. Why?

Just as she believed she was on the verge of a breakthrough for her train of thought Pinkie Pie passed her on the way to her apartment atop Sugarcube Corner. “Hey Pinkie, you see Fluttershy and Rarity?”

“Sure did Twilight, and both are really excited, at least they seemed that way. Fluttershy has been looking for some time off, and apparently a couple ponies owe her some favors, so her animals will be fine. Rarity, even though I did exactly what you said and told her ‘a full dress is not required, you don’t need to freak out’ she still started freaking out. That is, until I got her to try my new amaretto cupcakes. Ooh, I how I do love amaretto! Almonds are amazing little things.”

“Thanks Pinkie, see you tomorrow!”

Twilight quickly crossed the town square to the library and trotted in the door, noting that all the lights were off. She levitated a candle over and lit it with a zap of magic. On the desk there was a note, written in Spike’s quick scrawl, and one beside it in Luna’s well appointed printing. She scanned both of them.

Twilight,
It’s getting late and I’m really tired, so I’m going to bed, I bottled a bit of Dragonfire (and put it in the cupboard so the glow wouldn’t keep me up). There’s enough there to get you a note to Luna. See you in the morning.

-Spike

She then turned to Luna’s note.

Twilight Sparkle,
I thank you for your quick response, I cannot wait to see you again. I’m assuming you’re out telling your friends about tomorrow, so if you could when you get home would you be so kind as to send me an update as to where everything stands?Honestly, you seven, as well as a couple of my assistants, are the only ones that will be there, at least for the want of a better term “story time,” but I still want this to be perfect, especially because Celestia has already sent the messengers throughout the realm announcing what will happen so everypony will be watching me do at least that. I’m getting butterflies just thinking about it.
Sincerely,
Princess Luna

Twilight pulled out a quill and parchment and wrote a letter detailing what had gone on, or had been relayed to her through Pinkie Pie, as well as adding a P.S. to not respond as Spike was asleep. Walking over to the cupboard she saw the faint hue of Dragonfire along the edges, she saw that it was slightly bluer than the Fire spike usually produced as he sent missives to Princess Celestia. She levitated the canning jar to her reading desk, mentally lining everything up.

Ok, Spike got this sealed quite well, which is good because it made it less likely to touch the air causing a teleportation. However, I still must be careful, otherwise I might accidentally send the jar itself, which would likely shatter from the pressure differential on the other end. I don’t think Princess Luna would appreciate that.

She floated the letter up into the air and it hovered ready to be dropped, her horn sparked with energy as a glowing sphere of plasma formed on the end, but any heat was trapped inside. She plunged the letter into the sphere, shielding from actually burning, bringing it so the bottom of the letter was just inside the bottom of the energy ball. This whole unit flew down upon the jar, letter popping into the Dragonfire as it was released into the air through the now melted lid. She noted that it flew and curled away, out the window and towards Canterlot. then allowing herself to relax slightly she fed air into the jar and plasma, cooling both and dissipating any extra energy.

That went well, and now, to sleep.

---

“Twilight WAKE UP!”

“Huh? Mom, five more minutes. Celestia said I could be a bit late today.” Twilight grumbled.

“That’s a new one.” Spike said, violently shaking the pony. “C’mon Twilight, I already let you sleep in some this morning, get some food and get ready! You don’t want to be late this evening.”

“Fine, but you better have coffee!” Twilight snapped, more violently then she wanted to.

“Already done, you know how well I treat you. I even made it just how you like it, a triple tall vanilla hazelnut latte, extra foam. Just like you used to get at Pony Joe’s all the time.”

“Oh Spike, not only are you one of the most awesome assistants in the world, you also know how to draw a good shot. Only person better is probably that Silver Scroll gal, but that’s what you get for working for Princess Celestia, you only get the best. Did you hear that she’s now Princess Luna’s personal assistant? Actually, didn’t she teach you and Pony Joe?”

“Yes, yes she di-”

The conversation was broken by a sharp rapping at the door. Twilight walked over and opened it. Standing before her was a mare, about as tall as herself, silvery coat offsetting a dark mane, which framed her simple glasses. Twilight didn’t even need to look at this unicorn’s flank to know that a scroll of parchment with a quill laying across it resting against a cup of coffee would be there.

“Silver Scroll, how nice to see you. Do come in.” The lavender pony said, “In fact, we were just talking about you and where you’ve gotten. Coffee? SPIKE! we do still have espresso right?”

“Yes Twilight, I picked some up last night, remember? And I did just make your latte, did I not?” The dragon responded.

“Yes coffee would be fine, thank you. I know I’m a bit early, but I thought that the trip would be longer, and actually it was going to be, just normal cloud chariot with Luna’s carriage to arrive later. But right as I was about to hop onto the chariot the princess herself came busting through the crowd and insisted I take her chariot and just head straight over. The original plan was that I wasn’t even going to come at all, except maybe with her, but this morning after I polished her tiara she insisted that I take the day off to see Ponyville, and that she’d be down later to take us all up. I think she just didn’t want me hovering and trying to help. After a thousand years of self sustenance it kind of makes sense. So now, instead of her picking us up, I’m supposed to just take you and your friends over a couple hours after lunch. Take you to see a couple of the sites you missed on your trip to the Gala and then bring you to the castle.”

“Seems like a plan, and here’s your coffee.” Spike intoned from across the room. “If I remember correctly your favorite is a quad grande non-fat peppermint mochachino, that correct?”

“Yes Spike.” silver Scroll said taking a sip, “And you seemed to have remembered your training.”

“Spike, Ive always wondered, how did you start learning anyways?” Twilight inquired, “I’ve just always accepted it as a fact, but I was just wondering.”

“Actually you can blame me for that.” Silver Scroll said blushing slightly. “Remember how I used to work at the espresso stand to help pay my tuition at the the school?”

Twilight nodded, “Yeah, you were the one that introduced me to coffee. I told Princess Celestia about you, and pretty soon you had a full ride, made the coffee for the princess, and were still working the stand.”

“Yeah, I never figured out how she found out. Thank you Twilight, I believe that you made my life so much easier with that… Well one day when you were in one of your private lessons, Spike snuck out and followed his nose, must have been pretty early on, he still couldn’t speak. Well, at this point I was for all intents and purposes manager of the stand because of my talent for working with the bean.” She glanced at her cutie mark and continued.

“So I have this cute little purple dragon looking at me with curiosity, so breaking policy I invited him behind, and out of nowhere he draws a shot, very poorly, but still he did it, all on his own, and with no training. It was at that moment that I started teaching him a little bit each time he came by, and pretty soon you had your own coffee making dragon.”

---

The hours passed jovially, talking about stories from Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, what Twilight had done in Ponyville, and about Silver’s life in the Royal Court. Twilight’s friends trickled in as they finished with their work, soon everypony was there, save for one.

Applejack was the first to breach the subject, “Where the hay is Rarity?”

Fluttershy offered, “I heard a little bit of muffled frustration when passing her boutique, I thought it was just her trying to fill an order.”

“Oh this can’t be good.” Rainbow Dash stated simply, “Let’s get her before she accidentally strangles herself on a ribbon or something.”

---

Across town Rarity was in fact working on a hat. It’s not a dress, but it will still look stunning. she thought, placing the last touches on the wonderful hat she had been working on. seven more sat on various mannequins throughout the room, along with a single bowtie. She levitated them all into boxes and started out the door just as Applejack knocked.

“Hello Applejack, hello everypony.” Then upon seeing Silver Scroll standing awkwardly to the side, “Hello there, I’m Rarity, nice to meet you, what’s your name?”

“I’m Silver Scroll, personal assistant to Princess Luna,” She stated assertively, “I’m here to take you to Canterlot this afternoon. Would you like some assistance with your boxes?”

“No thank you, and if you’ll wait just one moment I’ll have one more.” levitating the hat boxes into a neat stack she bolted back into her boutique, moment’s later she returned with one more box nearly identical to the others. “Well, you can take this one. Mainly because its for you. All these others here are for the rest of us and the princesses, I think you’ll enjoy.”

“Rarity, what did you make us this time?” Fluttershy inquired, “You’re always so nice, we must cost you a fortune.”

“Fluttershy, darling, these are hats that I already had planned on giving you all sometime next week for that party. Part of the reason I freaked last night is that I wanted to get them done in time for tonight. I thought I would also make one each for each of the princesses, and then I realized that the one I had made for myself needed a slightly darker pony, preferably one with a coat that seemed to ripple like water, and Siver Scroll here fit perfectly.”

Silver Scroll nodded, “Thank you Rarity, I didn’t used to be like this, I think the shimmer and ripple comes from proximity exposure to Luna. She’s been positively beaming since Nightmare Night, which is when I first noticed it. Well lets get going then.”

With that the entourage set off to the chariot.

Comments ( 6 )

Not bad at all! Strong start:moustache:

I would like to see more :twilightsmile:

79352
Working on chapter 2 now.

lulz cant believe I forgot to track this
(good luck with chap2)

182931
Still working on it. I only allow myself to release the best work that I can, and juggling this in with a Physics degree throws this to the back burner, you know how it is.
>>mfw real life happens: :derpyderp1::derpyderp2::derpyderp1::derpyderp2:
>>mfw things are going how I want then to: :yay::twilightsmile::raritystarry::pinkiehappy:

Tending towards the former, always hoping for the latter.

183354 You make a cute couple. :) Lovely preamble. Hope to read the event when you are ready for chapter 2's release.

Login or register to comment