• Published 13th Jul 2018
  • 9,566 Views, 719 Comments

Magical Curiosity - Comma Typer



Sunset Shimmer's close friends know about the magical world called "Equestria", but, soon, Twilight becomes unsatisfied with just having their questions answered. So, Sunset brings her camera in her next trip across the portal.

  • ...
20
 719
 9,566

Take a Picture

“What’s the criteria for judging, anyway?” Sunset asked as they trotted past more crystal walls; they shone under the colorful lights hanging above. “It’s not too complicated, right?”

Starlight shook her head. “It would if it were up to me, but sport kiting isn’t exactly a thing here in Ponyville, so I had to tone things down a notch.”

They turned a right, seeing the big double doors leading outside. There, they saw Spike eating some candy, his purple-and-green kite resting beside him. The baby dragon stood up. “Oh, hi, Sunset!”

She waved a hoof at him, inspecting the kite from a little distance. “Wow! I didn’t know you were up for this.”

Spike raised the kite for them to see. It looked simple, just like an ordinary kite; it was even shaped like a diamond. “What do ya’ think?”

Sunset smiled. “That’s nice!”

Starlight tried to smile, her grin wavering under the thought of seeing such a simple kite enter the competition—or her life. “That’s...decent!”

Spike tilted his head to the side. “I know. I’ve seen the others’, and I don’t think I’ll win in the ‘Most Aesthetically Pleasing’ Category.”

“You don’t have to win one category,” Sunset said in a positive tone. “All you gotta do is have fun!”

Spike breathed a sigh of relief. “Thanks.”

Then, she looked at the doors. “Uh, where’s Twilight?”

The dragon lowered his kite and returned to his candy. “You know, doing her thing: organizing the competition herself outside.”

Starlight twirled a hoof around, then trotted towards the doors. She beckoned Sunset with the hoof. “Come on! I’ll explain everything on the way!”

The yellow unicorn glanced at her bag, glanced at Starlight already opening the door, and then trotted there, saying goodbye to the dragon before leaving the castle.


Outside, Ponyville itself looked rather normal with its dim and dull lights coming from its cottages and the occasional streetlight. However, if one ventured a little past the town, one would find that a great number of ponies had turned out for the kite flying competition about to take place beside Twilight’s very crystally castle which glittered under the cold moonlight. By the sound of fresh waterfalls crashing softly over by the School of Friendship—which was itself a huge and sprawling complex of learning, too, with various facilities and towers—by the sound of those waterfalls, ponies were not the only ones waiting for the event to start. Along with the town’s residents, the school’s varied students watched in awe as the participants held their spools and lines this way and that, making their kites fly and spin around in fancy styles and flourishes. Since it was nighttime, a couple of ponies on the ground operated spotlights pointed towards the sky, clearing the darkness up for the kites to be seen by all.

Also, where was the wind coming from? The pegasi, of course, who proved useful as they flapped their wings and created wind in an otherwise windless night.

“Wow!” yelled Silverstream, that pink hippogriff student awed by the numerous kites vying for her attention as she stood by the castle’s path. “I’ve never seen kites before!”

“You’ve seen them in the counselor’s office,” remarked Gallus, the gruff griffon sitting beside her, also following the kites with his eyes.

“Yeah, but I’ve never seen them...um, fly before!”

Gallus groaned, turning back to the kite spectacle above.

With the students distracted, they were unable to notice their guidance counselor walk out of the castle with Sunset, a camera hanging around the yellow unicorn’s neck.

As the unicorn duo passed by the audience, most of them too enamored by the kite show even though the competition had not started yet, Starlight pulled her eyes away from those lovely—albeit simply diamond-shaped—kites and turned her attention to Sunset’s strange camera. “Hey, it’s one of those other-world cameras!” She hovered it closer to her eyes, covering the camera in her blue glow. “Huh. It has a black screen over here.”

Sunset laughed. With her magic, she pressed one of the buttons and the screen turned on, revealing a set of pictures with her friends.

Starlight’s eyes went wide open. “So, it’s just like those phone thingies except it’s bulkier?”

“And could only take pictures and videos,” Sunset added.

Starlight squinted her eyes, trying to see what those pictures exactly were. Here, at the corner, she saw a group picture of Sunset and all her somewhat-the-same-but-not-exactly-the-same friends surrounding her. “It’s a dedicated picture-and-video-taking machine, isn’t it?”

“You could say that,” said Sunset, a little apprehended at the awkward description.

“But,” Starlight went on, approaching the judges’ table in the open grass field, “why are you bringing it over?”

Sunset chuckled. “You’ve noticed that both Twilights love knowledge, right?”

Starlight chuckled back. “No doubt about that! Ooh! Wait!” She stopped, peering at her. “She asked you to record some bits here, didn’t she?”

Sunset smiled. “Yeah, that’s pretty much it.”

Finally, they reached the table. Over there were four chairs, a gray mare in a simple gray blue shirt sitting on one of them while the rest were unoccupied.

“Hi, Maud!” Starlight greeted, waving at her.

Maud just sat there, blinking with that stoic expression on her face. “Hi.” Then, she looked at the new pony beside her.

“Oh, this is Sunset Shimmer!” Starlight said, gesturing to her as this visitor waved at Maud, too. “She’s from, uh, a very faraway place. I went there once and it was...”

Sunset looked at her, confused.

“...nice.”

Maud stared at the two of them. “Mm-hmm.”

Starlight took notice of the farthest chair which was still empty. “Uh, where’s Trixie?”

Maud turned her head towards town. “In Ponyville.”

Sunset and Starlight looked at each other. Then, Starlight looked at Maud. “Where in Ponyville? Shouldn’t she be here to watch with us?”

Maud blinked. “She’s in Sugarcube Corner.”

Starlight moaned. “Ordering a Trixie cake, isn’t she?”

“Mm-hmm.”

Sunset eyed Starlight with a subtle look. “And both our Trixies like to go that far, huh?”

Starlight giggled as they sat on the chairs. They then observed the participants running around with their kites, though some of them stood their ground and, instead of displaying rampant energy, were attempting to display cold precision with their techniques. All in all, the kites wove around each other without somehow entangling themselves into knots. The kite enthusiast herself winced at the sheer simplicity of the kites on board, but she put her smile back on.

Sunset arranged the papers on the table, complete with quills and inkwells on the side. She noticed the microphones hooked up to the speakers beside it. Then, she hovered the camera in front of her eye, surrounding it in her red glow and making sure the strap was still around her neck. That done, she snapped pictures with click!’s each time, capturing stills of the kites in flight and their pony kite fliers.

Starlight, meanwhile, grew bored, approaching despair as she endured the sight of ordinary kites fly about in clunky, uncreative fashion, sprinkled with beginner signs evident as could be seen by ponies tripping or letting their kites go from their grip on accident. Whenever a participant tried to pull a kite in a straight line, the craft would flit about to the left and the right. Whenever someone else tried to be flashy by dragging his line in all possible directions, Starlight was left with a kite wallowing in the air—and, of course, she grumbled whenever a pony somehow got a kite to tie itself into knots again.

“This is a disaster!” Starlight said, slumping her head on the table, closing her eyes in frustration. “When I stayed inside the castle, I wanted to surprise myself with what Ponyville could throw at me, and this is what they got? Is this the best they could think of here?!” She looked at Sunset who was busy with her camera, eye on the viewfinder. “I mean, look at them! None of those things could even come close to qualifying as an official sport kite! Even if they tried, I don’t see them capable of something as simple as a rectangle, let alone registers, LSI’s, wedges, split figure eights...and don’t get me started on team efforts like pick-up sticks, cascades, spin drops—“ and promptly gave up as she smacked her head on the table though careful to not crack it with her horn. “The closest thing we got to an actual competition is in kite design, so maybe we could still give out a trophy, but—“ sighed “—I guess this travesty will have to do.”

All the while, Sunset took more pictures of what was happening before her, ponies still running around on the field with their kites. Then, she turned to that forlorn, disappointed Starlight with her head on the table. “Don’t be too harsh on them. It’s the first real kite competition they have, so of course they’re not gonna take it that seriously.”

“Not gonna take it that seriously?!” Starlight yelled.

Sunset responded with a nervous look on her face. “Uh, yeah?”

Starlight slowly breathed in, breathed out. Then: “Yeah.”

Wanting to steer the topic somewhere else, Sunset flipped a switch on her camera. “OK, what about I take a video of you greeting the girls back home?”

A smile returned on Starlight’s face. “Why not?”

Sunset smiled back. “When the camera flashes red, that means the video’s started.” She readied her hoof on the switch. “Three, two, one, go!”

It flashed red.

And Starlight gulped, putting on a cheeky smile and waving a hoof at the camera. “Uh...h-hi!” Another gulp, more visible this time. “If you’re wondering why I-I look familiar, that’s because I’m Starlight Glimmer! You know...the one who watched that Daring Do movie in those high-tech cinemas!”

Sunset laughed at Starlight’s next graceless description.

The video’s subject pointed at the display of kites flying about. “Over there—“ Sunset turned the camera towards the field “—these are the kites we’ll be judging for the competition.”

Sunset kept the camera steady, recording a good ten seconds of ponies sprinting with lines and spools on their hooves, their mouths, their wings, or just floating and glowing by horns. Then, she turned the camera back to Starlight.

“Yeah, they’re pretty, right? Oh, and, Pinkie, your sister Maud also has a pony self! Here!”

She leaned far enough to give way to Maud sitting on her chair, silently watching the kites with pursed lips and half-open eyes.

“Maud,” Sunset began behind the camera, “say, ‘Hi!’”

The gray pony slowly turned her head towards the camera, maintaining that stoic expression. “Hi.”

And silence as Maud stared at the camera.

Starlight leaned back in, covering Maud who turned back towards the kites. “So, there you have it! It’s the three of us—uh, actually four, but she’s—“

“I’m here!” a haughty voice called out.

Starlight rubbed her head in misery.

Sunset looked behind her and turned the camera round. “Trixie, what do you have to say?”

The blue unicorn pumped her chest as she wore her trademark wizard’s hat and wizard’s robe, both decorated with colored stars.

“Ah, are you the Sunset Shimmer from the other world?” Trixie asked, pointing at her. “Starlight’s told me plenty of stories from her time there.” She stuck her tongue out. “No offense, but, I, the Great and Powerful Trixie, can’t stand a world where magic isn’t real and the only thing you could there is fake stage magic!”

Starlight laughed, causing her magician friend to turn her head. “Trixie, fake stage magic is your talent.”

Trixie then raised her head snooty-like. “Well, at least I could do real magic...like this!”

And she floated her hat into the air, her horn glowing pink.

Sunset grinned as she recorded that, seeing Trixie’s sly smirk as she floated the hat and turned it around.

“I bet you can’t do that over there, other me!” Trixie crowed, pointing at the camera.

Sunset and Starlight both chuckled at a claim that was actually true. Maud, on the other hoof, glanced at what was going on with those unicorns, then turned her head back towards the kites.

“And, also,” Trixie went on, “just to let you know—“

She pulled out a very tall box and set it on the ground. She gave it a light kick and the sides fell down, revealing a cake with Trixie’s colors of blue and lighter blue. On top of it was the magician’s face in frosting.

Sunset did not laugh. She roared in guffaws, still keeping her camera steady to record the cake and the face of its buyer frosted there. “Starlight wasn’t joking, huh?!”

Starlight punched her shoulder. In a playful voice: “Are you saying you don’t believe me?”

Sunset bit her lip, calming down after her laughing fit—no, her guffawing fit. “Maybe?”

Back to Maud, she possessed no desire to see what they were doing or what they were talking about, still looking at the kites.

Starlight looked at Sunset who then turned off her camera. Her gaze moved to the camera. “That’s it?”

Sunset nodded. “Yeah, that’s it. I don’t want to give them a full tour of Ponyville. That wouldn’t be healthy, considering how nosy Twilight could be.”

“You mean our Twilight or their Twilight?” Starlight asked.

Sunset rolled her eyes. “Both.”

Coming off the good times just passed, Starlight slammed the table with a hoof. “Alright, alright, enough making jokes! Let’s start the—“

And she beheld the kites flying in the sky.

Starlight groaned and slammed her head back on the table, this time cracking it with her horn. In a voice of sorrow: “—competition.”


The competition came and went. After multiple rounds of grueling shows, the overall winner of Ponyville’s first official kite flying competition was none other than Derpy who then accepted the golden trophy on the podium as the reward was hoofed to her by Starlight Glimmer. The trophy-giver put up a grin for the cameras she was familiar with, the traditional instant ones that printed out pictures on the spot. The crowd around her and Derpy thundered as the champion raised her kite which was simply gray with ribbons attached to its string.

As for Starlight herself, she braced the reporters’ equally grueling questions, grueling not because they were hard to answer but because she did it all while feigning a smile for the camera, sweat rolling down her face. Her voice was as controlled as could be; coupled with the smile and her composed demeanor, she managed to get through the media without a scratch.

As for the rest of the judges, Sunset and Maud shook hooves and exchanged pleasantries with the crowd and the rest of the participants before they said their farewells. Those ponies were all headed for their homes as they dispersed.

As for Trixie she did not lament over the competitive loss of her great and powerful kite which, for all intents and purposes, had the same diamond shape as all the other kites; as for being powerful, it now lay in shambles. Instead, she pointed a hoof at the other competitors for sabotaging an otherwise fair game, she pointed a hoof at the pegasi for changing up wind conditions when it was her turn, and, finally, she pointed a hoof at “the organizer herself, Princess Twilight Sparkle! Why, the Great and Powerful Trixie is still seen as her inferior and maybe it is true—but it definitely is not! This is a disaster in the history of Equestria since Twilight Sparkle has meddled in the affair of my Great and Powerful Kite!”

“Ahem.”

Trixie looked to her right and screamed at the sight of Twilight Sparkle herself. “Oh, uh, those words you have heard are mere rumors! Otherwise, perhaps your ears have been clogged by some unknown entity and it is only through I, the Great and Powerful—“

“I get it,” Twilight cut off, sounding worried with her purple ears drooped. “But, if your kite broke within the first minute of flight, then there’s nothing else we can do.” She mellowed the blow by smiling, though. “Anyway, at least you tried, and that’s what matters, right?”

Trixie smiled and raised her head up. “The Great and Powerful Trixie could never pass up such an opportunity to display her unmatched skill in wowing her audience!”

Twilight could not help but laugh at such a boast, though Trixie reacted with a laugh of her own. Then, passing by the final pony in the crowd leaving, she encountered Maud and Sunset trotting their way to the judges’ booth.

Sunset caught sight of the Princess. “Hi, Twilight!”

Twilight gasped. “Sunset!”

And the two of them hugged.

Maud stood there, watching the two hug. She looked back, seeing Starlight talk with Derpy who was still holding her trophy and that ever optimistic smile made unique by her cross eyes.

The two stopped hugging, Twilight beaming and flapping her wings in cheer. “I heard Derpy Hooves won! I’m so proud of her!” Then, embarrassed that she ignored the unicorn she just embraced, she cleared her throat. “How’s everything going?”

Sunset smiled. “Everything’s fine. Our geodes didn’t go haywire, the worst argument we had was over Rainbow Dash cheating on Don’t Stop Saying Words and Everyone Lives, and—“

“That’s a mouthful of a title!” Twilight said, surprised. “Is that a game?”

“It’s a bomb game.”

“A bomb game?!” repeated Twilight in horror.

“It’s not that bad,” Sunset clarified. “It’s just...lots of shouting is involved, and that’s before Rainbow’s parents arrived to cheer on her.”

“I’d like to know what that feels like in a casual setting.”

Sunset looked over her shoulder. “You don’t wanna know.”


After sending Derpy off with the golden trophy and with the honor of being Ponyville’s first ever kite champion, everything was packed up. The weather pegasi brought the weather back to a motionless evening; the chairs and lights and booth were dragged out of the fields. When it was all done, the front of Twilight’s castle was as clean as before.

Inside said castle, the halls looked as polished as ever. The two unicorns and one alicorn walked in the hallway, talking to each other as their words slightly echoed.

“...but, really, I could not believe what I was watching!” Starlight said in shock. “I don’t wanna say that Ponyville ponies are terrible at kites, but….”

Twilight glowed the library doors purple and opened them with her magic.

Inside, everything looked as it had been. The portal was still off, Starlight’s book was still closed alongside the clock on the table, and the rest of the books were still in their respective spots in their shelves.

“But, did you have fun?” Twilight asked the disappointed kite enthusiast.

Starlight looked up, pondering about it. “Y-Yeah, I guess. Having to teach ponies the basics of kite flying was hard work, but it felt good sharing your passions with so many!”

“Mm-hmm!” Twilight closed her eyes in that smile. “I was thinking along the lines of ‘Don’t stress out; just have fun!’, but that works, too!”

Then, the Princess looked at Sunset. “Really, Sunset, nothing out of the ordinary?”

Sunset shook her head. “No.”

Twilight looked longingly at the mirror. “I’d like to go there myself someday when I have the time, but...that’s the problem. I have a meeting with Thorax and Pharynx in the Changeling Hive tomorrow, and then I have to follow that up by talking with Princess Celestia about the results of that meeting.” She floated a filled up calendar into view, the current month flooded with symbols of all kinds done by pencils, ballpens, markers, and even paint. “I still have ample time for my friends here, of course, but what if an emergency happens in Equestria and I’m over there?”

Sunset raised her brows, still smiling. “You’re Twilight. I’m sure you can think up something. Besides, you don’t have to go; the girls already got me...and the other you.”

Twilight sighed, reflecting. “Yeah. It’s still really weird I have another self out there and she’s also a studious learner.”

Sunset dropped her smile and looked at the clock on the table. “It’s almost one.”

Twilight’s eyes opened wide. “Wait!”

“Huh?”

And Starlight turned to the Princess. “What’s wrong?”

Twilight looked at Sunset, taking on a serious tone. “About what Twilight—I mean, what my other self is saying about going here...”

“What about it?” asked Sunset.

Twilight shook her head. “No. Not now, at least.” She sighed. “I was about to say because of the need of balancing the dimensions this way and that, but you were there, I went there while you were there back when the sirens were there, and then there’s the whole magic-going-there thing...so, I guess keeping up the balance wouldn’t be a good enough reason.”

“So, why no?” Sunset asked further.

Starlight took a step closer.

Twilight lowered her head. “Because I don’t want to see my friends hurt.” A pause. “I mean, I’m sure they’ll get used to being ponies here and, since they already have their magic under control, I don’t think the magic here will corrupt them, but...I don’t know.” A longer pause. “The Everfree Forest is Ponyville’s backyard. That should tell you.”

Sunset nodded. “I understand. They’re probably not ready to face a world that’s so dangerous and new to them.”

“I think they are,” Twilight reassured. “But...I still feel like it’s too risky. Sure, they can handle the monsters here, but their families, their other friends—they’ll start to notice.”

Sunset furrowed her brows. “Not that I want to go against you, Twilight, but you know magic is a thing in our world now. Not on Equestria’s levels, but everyone in Canterlot knows about it—we even sped around in our ponied up forms catching a criminal and nobody called us out!”

As they talked, Starlight opened the container and levitated the book out, then placed the book at the top of the contraption, re-enabling the portal with its electricity, its flashes, and its whirs. Finally, the swirl on the mirror reappeared.

Sunset and Twilight stopped. They looked at the portal.

A pause between the three of them, Starlight standing by the swirling mirror with a mild yet uptight face.

Twilight looked at Starlight. “Sorry for leaving you out. What do you have to say about this?”

Starlight crossed her forelegs in thought. “Well, I’d say...probably?”

“What do you mean, ‘probably’?” Twilight asked, more uneasy than curious.

Starlight scratched her head. “What about taking them out for, say, a really short time? Like ten minutes?”

“Wouldn’t work,” replied Sunset. “That’d just make them crave Equestria more.”

“You’re right,” Starlight was quick to say. “What about you just tell them Twilight’s concerned for their safety and that they should be OK with your camera work?”

Sunset’s ears perked up. “I see nothing wrong with that…but what if they still want to go here?”

Twilight sighed and looked at the clock. “I don’t want to burst your bubble, Sunset, but it’s already one. Shouldn’t you be going to school on time?”

Sunset looked at the clock.

It was indeed past one by a few minutes.

She glowed her horn and levitated a few sachets from her bag. “I have my ways, Twilight.”

The Princess’s ears drooped again, her face of concern giving way to a simple frown. “So, we’ll talk about it another time?”

Sunset put the sachets back inside her bag. “Yeah.” Then, putting on a smile again, she trotted to the portal’s steps. “See you...whenever I see you?”

Twilight and Starlight waved at her, the latter saying, “Whenever!”

“Bye, Sunset!” Twilight cried out to her. “Stay safe and have a good night!”

Sunset waved back. “You, too!”

And she trotted through the swirling portal, disappearing in a white flash.

Twilight and Starlight stood there for a few seconds, looking at where Sunset had been.

“So,” Starlight said and broke the silence, “you’ve played some of their video games?”

Twilight nodded. “Yeah.”

Starlight shifted her eyes left to right. “Uh….”

“We’ll see, Starlight,” Twilight said in a chipper voice. “Me? I’d want to play them, too.”