• Published 13th Jul 2018
  • 9,551 Views, 719 Comments

Magical Curiosity - Comma Typer



Sunset Shimmer's close friends know about the magical world called "Equestria", but, soon, Twilight becomes unsatisfied with just having their questions answered. So, Sunset brings her camera in her next trip across the portal.

  • ...
20
 719
 9,551

Not Just Desserts

Meanwhile, in Equestria….


“We’re watching it right here! I can’t believe we’re watching it right here!”

“But, how is it different from the sunrises back home again?”

“Shh! Shh! It’s starting!”

And everypony (and dragon) sat down silent on a field of grass right beside Ponyville proper. Feeling the cool air breeze by and smelling the crisp fragrance of green, they raised their heads high, looking at the pink sky above about to break into morning.

Then, the sun. In all its blazing radiance.

It steadily rose from behind the mountains, its rays piercing the town in their ethereal streams of gold, showering the entire village and much more under its soft warmth. They saw the celestial body inch upwards, the sky’s color shifting from its sweet pink to a bright blue that screamed, “Wake up! It’s morning!”

And if that did not do it, the roosters in Sweet Apple Acres would surely remind the rest of town that it was morning with their cock-a-doodle-do!’s.

The new ponies opened their mouths at the sight, some gasping at what they were witnessing. The new dragon did so, too.

“W-Wow!” blathered Sci-Twi, adjusting her glasses as she looked straight at the sun without having her eyes burned. “That’s...supposed to be impossible!”

“When you have a thousand-year-old Celestia who can control the sun,” Sparkle said, sitting beside her, “it’s normal.” Then, turning to Sci-Twi: “I was taken aback when I first realized your sunrises and sunsets were—“

“Ahem,” as Sunset cleared her throat, smirking at her name.

Sparkle chuckled, keeping her focus on Sci-Twi. “Well, your days are...gradual, to say the least.”

AJ frowned, worried. “What happens if Celestia wakes up late or somethin’?”

The princess laughed and threw her hoof about, causing almost everyone else to look at her odd. “Princess Celestia never wakes up late! Otherwise, we’d have a crisis in our hooves!”

Cotton Candy bounced up and down on the grass. “Ooh! Can we do it again?!”

“We’re not having Celestia raise the sun twice,” Starlight answered.

Then, Fluttershy and Dash looked up again and saw several pegasi flying around. They saw one in particular leaving behind a rainbow-colored trail as she kicked the clouds into oblivion, making way for open clear skies.

Dash pointed at her. “I-Is that...me?!”

“Sure is!” Sparkle said, nodding her head as she stood up under the morning sky.

Everyone else followed her lead and stood up with her.

“What about we show you around town now?” Sparkle suggested.

Rarity’s ears perked up. “Then I would be able to meet with the other Rarity as soon as possible! We could share ideas, make our own clotheslines based on the other’s world, and—”

“And I get to see Pinkie Pie work for the Cakes?!” Cotton Candy yelled, eyes swirling around. “I like them a lot, but I have no idea how I’d land a job at Sweet Shoppe!”

Everyone looked at her with strange looks.

Cotton raised her forehooves in a shrug. “What? Was it something I said?”

“You’re a bona fide baker, Pinkie,” Sunset said, smiling and patting her on the shoulder. “If you applied for a job with the Cakes, they’d have you promoted in no time!”

Cotton grinned. “Why didn’t you say so, silly?”

Sunset made a double take. “What?”

And all laughed as they trotted their way towards Ponyville, AJ visibly struggling to keep a consistent pace with her four hooves, having almost tripped thrice in a row before getting used to the walking cycle.

“And I get to meet my horse self,” AJ murmured under her breath. “A horse...running a farm. With livestock.” She shuddered. “Maybe it’s best I don’t think about it too much.”

As they entered the town and were well past the comedy club, there was a zap! from inside. A pony stumbled out the door, his mane burned and his face scorched in black. However, everyone else was too far away to hear or notice.

He was also unconscious before another pony took him back inside, mumbling something about batteries exploding.


Their first stop was Sugarcube Corner, the town’s local gingerbread bakery and not because it made gingerbread. It truly looked like a gingerbread house, complete with frosting-tipped roofs, cupcake-shaped bedroom on top, and a sign hanging it with a depiction of another cupcake. On the side, there was a water tank with a faucet over there, beautified by pink flowers.

Rarity stood there, examining the half-full tank. “I still can’t believe the number of things we have to stoop down to….”

Cotton Candy stood at the pink steps to the pink front door, beholding the delicious building which was not meant for personal consumption. “This Pinkie lives here? She takes pie-baking more seriously than me...and she’s me and I’m her!”

Sci-Twi chuckled. “Let’s get in?”

Starlight nodded. “Why not?”

Sunset lowered a brow, shrinking away. “I don’t know about letting two Pinkies meet in the same room.”

Starlight then took a step away from the bakery. “Yeah...you’re right.” She turned to the princess. “May I have permission to stay outside?”

Sparkle rolled her eyes, trying to hold in some laughter. “Alright! But, if you come across somepony while you’re here, tell them that our other selves are stopping by. They might think changelings are on the loose again.”

“They know they’re not evil anymore, right?” Starlight said, cringing a little.

“That doesn’t stop conspiracy theorists from theorizing,” replied Sparkle with a sigh.

With that, Starlight waved them a short farewell as the rest entered the bakery.

Inside, they were assaulted by an array of bright and cheery colors. Green floors, yellow walls, pink decor, and whatever color the display’s pastries were made of. Wafting through the confectionery were the sugary smells of sweets, making the ponies’ mouths water. A few other ponies were seated at one table and—

What?!”

They all looked their way at those familiar few ponies sitting near the window.

Sparkle gasped and smiled, seeing Rainbow, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity—or Rare—gathered there, their cakes and pies and cakepies already on the table. The looks on their faces were of shock and surprise, mouths and eyes wide open.

Pinkie Pie then bounced off her chair and landed right in front of Cotton Candy. “Hi! You must be the Pinkie Pie from CHS, am I right?!”

Cotton Candy nodded, shaking her hoof. “Yeah! You can call me ‘Cotton Candy’ so we won’t have any issues with names and all!” Then, she furrowed her brows at Pinkie. “Wait...so, you’re the Pinkie Pie who grew up in a town in Western Equestria called Rockville, raised in a family of rock farmers, got your cutie mark and had your whole life change when Rainbow Dash did her sonic rainboom while you were all fillies, moved out of Rockville to Ponyville and got a job here, and definitely knows how to make cakepies even though I’ve never told anyone else the secret recipe before?!”

Pinkie grinned. “Yeah! You’re certainly more...let’s say, explosive with your being-able-to-turn-sweets-into-magical-bombs power—which also makes sense ‘cause you’re the drummer of the Rainbooms—ooh! You also work at Sweet Snacks Café as a rollerskating waiter...and I thought I only knew the secret recipe to cakepies since I never told anyone else, too!”

Cotton Candy raised both forehooves. “You know me so well, Pinkie Pie!”

Pinkie Pie raised her forehooves, too. “You also know me so well, Pinkie Pie!”

Both Pinkie Pies then hugged each other, giggling.

Everyone else stared at the two pink ponies in awe. And then at each other.

Rare chuckled, pushing her plate of cheesecake aside. “Uh, Twilight?”

Both Twilights looked at her, saying “Yes?” together.

Rare twitched her eye, clenched her jaw. “N-No...the one without the glasses, darling.”

Sparkle chuckled and took a step forward from the group. “What is it, Rarity?”

Rare gestured a hoof at the new ponies. “These are the guests you told us to expect?”

The princess nodded. “You’ve all heard of them for quite some time, and they’ve heard of you, too. It’s about time they came over.”

Rainbow smiled, flying from her seat and landing in front of Dash. “So, you’re me from across the mirror?”

Dash flared her wings up. “Yup! The one and only!”

Rainbow laughed, giving her an I’m-too-good-for-you kind of smile. “Nice try, buddy, but I bet you don’t even know how to fly!”

Dash stretched her head, touching Rainbow’s snout with hers as she arched her brows in arrogance. “Yeah? You think so? Watch this!”

With a great windy flap, she hovered over the floor, looking down on her other self. “See? I’m a fast learner!”

Sparkle smacked herself on the head. “First, two crazy creatures are here, and then we have two big-heads as well. What’s next?”

Dash then walked to AJ, and touched her hat, trying to hold in a bout of laughter as she watched Applejack sipping on a mug of apple cider. “Hey! You’ve handled horses before, right? Get ready to talk to a horse handling a farm!”

AJ rolled her eyes. “We’re not doin’ this again, Dash. I’ve come to accept that things are gonna be a bit backwards an’ forwards in Equestria.”

“It sure is backwards an’ forwards here,” Applejack said as she got out of her chair and walked over to AJ, looking at her up and down. “Wowie! Ya’ look jus’ like me!” She pointed at her cheeks: “Only the freckles are a bit off, but that’s better than bein’ completely iden’ical!”

The two Rarities then walked to each other, inspecting their faces, their manes, and their eye shadow.

“And how do you live without wearing clothes most of the time?” was Rarity’s first question.

Rare glanced a bit to the side, then back at Rarity. “And how do you live wearing clothes all the time? You must have at least half a dozen dresses for every possible occasion!”

Sunset chuckled. Turning to Sparkle: “The first thing they talk about isn’t even a ‘How are you?’ It’s gotta be fashion, huh?”

Then, Spike tugged on Sci-Twi’s tail. “Uh, this is where breakfast is, right?”

“Yeah!” was Sparkle’s answer for him, trotting to the dragon.

Spike scratched his chin. “Wait...where’s your Spike?”

The princess glanced out the window. “He’s staying with Big Mac and Discord at Sweet Apple Acres. They had their guys’ night yesterday playing Ogres & Oubliettes, and they even had King Thorax himself as a guest player.”

Sci-Twi’s ears perked up. “Ogres & Oubliettes? You mean th-the role-playing game Shining Armor used to play in his high school years?”

Sparkle’s eyes twinkled, ears perking up also. “Yeah! Although it was called Oubliettes & Ogres ‘till they swapped the words around for legal reasons or something along those lines.”

Sci-Twi’s eye twitched. “Me...too?”

“Huh?”

Some eyes were on her; others were busy talking with their other selves and passing the time that way, ignoring the food on the table. “The name used to be Oubliettes & Ogres, too, until they changed it because they thought it’d be cooler if the first word was Ogres to sound trendy.”

Spike almost jumped in place, though. “Hold on a minute! Are you saying that your Spike isn’t just a dragon but he also has guys’ nights?”

Sparkle nodded. “Uh-huh! On a regular basis, no less!”

Spike let out a half-groan, half-burp. “Why do I have to be a dog back there? They don’t allow pets in the club.” He paused for a bit. “Big Mac’s a nice guy, but...isn’t Discord one of those plushie villains you find in an amusement park?”

Flutters nodded, walking to his side with a bit of surprise in her face. “Then you have no idea who Discord is in our world!”

Fluttershy smiled. “Actually, we do. Sunset told us all about him way back when.”

Flutters raised a brow.

I don’t!” Spike said, raising his hand and wiggling his fingers.

Flutters trotted over to him and bent down a little. “You see, in this world, Discord is a really powerful draconequus—that is, a dragon and a horse and some other animals mashed together. He once wrecked havoc on Equestria, and we did turn him back into stone, but when Princess Celestia told us to teach him the magic of friendship...it took us a while, but we got there.” She made a nervous smile.

Sci-Twi stepped in. “If someone told me those exact words before all this magic stuff happened, I’d tell them they were crazy!”

“But look at where you are now!” Sparkle said, winking at her. “You’re a unicorn talking to a pegasus who answered a dragon’s question about a millenia-old spirit of chaos who played a game with the king of the changelings last night under a moon magically controlled by the alicorn Princess of the Night!”

Sci-Twi looked up, thinking about what her princess self just said. Then, she laughed at herself.

Pinkie Pie zipped her way out of the talking group and into the kitchen. From inside, they could hear: “Look who we got here! Come quick! You might miss ‘em!”

Sparkle’s ears drooped. “Uh, Pinkie? I think you should explain—“

Lanky Mr. Cake and plump Mrs. Cake walked out of the kitchen, wearing their aprons.

“Aww, Pinkie!” Mrs. Cake said, looking up at the dining area. “I didn’t know you brought—“ and saw those ponies there “—guests from...some...where?”

Mr. Cake leaned close to Pinkie’s ear. “Um, are you giving changelings a tour?”

Pinkie snorted. “No, silly! They’re my friends but not really the friends I know but I still know stuff about them because they’re like us!”

In unison, the Cakes said, “Huh?”

“You’ll get the hang of it!” Pinkie said, hopping out of the counter. “Ooh! I’ll give each of them a pair of cakepies! They’re on me!”


It was an unusual breakfast. The dinky table was exchanged for a bigger one that could fit fourteen sweet-toothed customers. The food was served fast, so much of the talking was done after the desserts were hoofed out.

Even then, it was mostly quiet, the strangeness of the situation having finally settled in on everyone present. The “twins” gave each other glances as they ate. Of course, the new ponies did not have that easy of a time getting used to the pony way of eating.

“Uh…no forks, no knives, no spoons?” Fluttershy asked, seeing only a plate of chocolate cake before her.

Flutters nodded her head, sliding her chair closer to her. “You hold up the slice and eat it.” She took her own chocolate cake slice up and nibbled on it.

Fluttershy looked at her hoof. “But, I touched a lot of dirt. I walked on dirt with these hooves.”

“We eat with dirty hooves all the time,” Flutters said, nudging her on the shoulder. “It doesn’t really make us sick. It’s how we eat.” Then, gasping as an idea came to her: “But, if you’re not OK with that, you can always eat like this—“ and placed her slice on the plate, leaned her head towards it, and bent down to take a bite.

Fluttershy watched her eat in that sloppy yet familiar way. She turned her head to face her slice of cake. The cake sat still but, in her eyes, it was tempting her to just eat already.

She bent her head and took a bite, munching on the mushy, silky smooth chocolate running down her throat.

AJ smiled at Fluttershy’s attempt at Equestrian dining. “Why, if that’s how we’re gonna do it, I might as well dig in!” and gorged herself on the food without even touching it with her hooves, dirtying her mouth in chocolate, strawberries, vanilla, and crust.

Rarity stuck her tongue out. “How uncouth!”

Rare snickered. “Your kind must be even fancier than we are! Then again,” glowing her horn and taking up her slice of cherry pie, “you can bypass all of that.”

Rarity gulped, looking at her own horn. “A-Alright...what was it that Starlight said?” Then, focusing on the slice but trying to relax at the same time, her horn flickered and then glowed blue. Her own cherry pie then floated in the air, albeit a little wobbly.

AJ and Fluttershy stared at her in awe as Rarity ate with magically floating and glowing pie.

As for Dash, she was busy playfully poking her other self, threatening to escalate it into a food fight.

Rainbow crossed her forehooves and spread her wings. “Just because I’m cooler than you doesn’t mean you gotta be sour over it!”

“I’m not sour!” Dash said, sounding annoyed but not seriously so.

Rainbow ruffled her other self’s mane. “You’ve saved the world a couple times? Pfft! So what? I saved the world a couple times, too, not to mention being a part of the most elite flying squad in all of Equestria, going past the speed of sound some more times, overseeing the local weather, and—“

Placed a hoof on Dash’s snout.

“—I live in my home in the clouds. Independently.”

Dash’s cheeks fumed red, but then she swallowed down a gulp and her pride. “Alright, alright...probably because magic’s done all the dirty work for you.”

Rainbow flapped her wings and flew over her, staring at her with icy eyes. “Hey! I was born with magic! You wouldn’t be able to save your world without it!”

“Uh, girls?” Flutters spoke up with a wince.

Then, Sparkle levitated a slice of cakepie between the two Rainbow Dashes. “Enough bickering!”

Rainbow looked at her royal friend, surprised at this betrayal. “I haven’t even started!”

“I’m stopping this before it starts,” Sparkle said in a stern voice.

Then, both rainbow-haired pegasi sat back down.

Sparkle took a bite of her cakepie as it floated before her face. “So, what’s the itinerary for the morning? Split up and get to know each other on a more personal level?”

“Splittin’ up to know myself on a personal level?” Applejack asked with a raised hoof.

AJ stomped a hoof on the table with a thud, giving her other self a glare. “You know I’m not really you.”

Applejack sighed, pointing at Cotton Candy. “...and you?”

Cotton Candy was slurping on some ice cream. “What? Was it something I didn’t say?”

“It’s a good idea, actually” Rarity said, ignoring Cotton for the moment. “They’ll teach us more on blending in with Equestrian society, and we’ll become close friends with our pony selves over time.”

“Kinda’ short if you ask me,” Dash commented.

Sunset finally leaned her head over the table, chiming in, “It took you three days to become friends with Princess Twilight and a single night to become friends with me. Surely a day and a half wouldn’t be too hard—“ smirking “—considering you’re essentially talking to yourselves.”

Spike, meanwhile, did not have a hand in the conversation since he was busy licking sundaes as tall as half the room.

“She’s right,” Sci-Twi said, levitating a slice of cake though almost dropping it with a weak magical grip. “They shouldn’t be too hard to hang out with, right?”

And everyone nodded at that, agreeing on how to spend their morning time until lunch would bring them back together.

Except Spike because he was not paying attention to any of it. His sundae occupied his mind and his mouth. Soon, it would occupy his stomach, too.


After the breakfast of desserts, the Cakes waved them goodbye as those thirteen ponies and one dragon regrouped with Starlight who was busy talking to Bon Bon outside.

Mr. Cake then turned to Mrs. Cake as they stood behind the counter. “How’s the new spotlight for Zipporwhill’s party?”

Mrs. Cake scratched her head. “I got the order, but it just doesn’t seem to work!”

“What happened?” he said as they headed to the kitchen,

“Well, when I tried turning it on before you woke up, it just...fizzled out.” She stopped right before the kitchen doors. “I saw the electricity sucked out of it, like it was following somepony!”

Mr. Cake trotted back out the kitchen, wearing a worried face. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“’Cause then we’d have to pay for pest control to look for twittermites that aren’t actually there!”

He fixed his bow tie and headed for the front door. “I’ll give Meal Fabric a visit. If the taco pegasi arrive and I’m not here, tell them I got some errands.”

Before he was out, Mrs. Cake shouted, “Make sure ya’ don’t go to the Everfree!”

She was not sure if he heard her since, by the time she was finished with that, he was out of her sight.