• Published 13th Jul 2018
  • 9,543 Views, 719 Comments

Magical Curiosity - Comma Typer



Sunset Shimmer's close friends know about the magical world called "Equestria", but, soon, Twilight becomes unsatisfied with just having their questions answered. So, Sunset brings her camera in her next trip across the portal.

  • ...
20
 719
 9,543

Up to Her Old Hat-Tricks

Across the street, Wallflower Blush was watering the plants and the lawn with her hose, humming a song to herself. With only the sound of water splashing upon the leaves, she smiled under the glow of moonlight.

Then, bang! from the other side.

She turned to Pinkie’s house and saw Sunset, her friends, and someone new running down the sidewalk. Wallflower then waved at them, turning the hose off. “Hi, Sunset! Where are you—“

“Magical emergency!” Sunset yelled, still running. “No time to explain!”

And they sprinted down the sidewalk.

Wallflower dropped her waving hand, returned to her hose which she turned back on. “Hope they come back.”


One final street. After crossing while looking left and right, all eight of them were at the school. Running to the statue, they saw Luna in uniform, texting on her phone while sporting pursed lips.

The vice principal raised her head, hearing the footsteps.

“Luna!” Sunset shouted, stopping right before her, panting. “What’s happening? Is she back? Did anyone ask you anything?”

Luna shook her head, seeing the others caught up to Sunset. “However, that matters little. We have a potential catastrophe in our hands, and while I am willing to help a student in dire need, I do not know all the dangers of going to your world.”

Starlight raised her hand, catching her attention. “Trixie’s going to be fine! Princess Twilight’s over there, and she wouldn’t let her leave the castle, right?”

If she realizes she’s there!” Sunset added, moving her way to the portal side of the statue. Then, yanking Starlight by the arm and pointing at the rest of her friends: “Everyone, stay here!”

“B-But, I-I could help!” Twilight said, nervously eyeing both Sunset and the portal.

No!” Sunset shouted. “It’d take some time to get used to walking on four hooves, how to use unicorn magic—agh! We don’t have time to waste!” She glanced at the portal, then at Starlight who was looking at her with anxious eyes, and then back at Twilight. “What if Trixie’s already reading those spells? She’s gonna hurt herself if she miscasts!”

It was Starlight’s turn to gasp. “Oh, no!”

Sunset looked at her again. “Why, ‘Oh, no’?”

Starlight scratched her beanie. “Just remembered, Trixie’s staying in the castle for the night.”

“I don’t know if that’s good or bad!” Sunset yelled, pulling Starlight. “But, we gotta go! You first!” and pushed Starlight into the statue’s base.

“Woah!”

A bright light flashed and she was gone.

Sunset looked at Luna. “Don’t call the police! We need to keep this down low!”

“As I’ve always done,” the vice principal replied with a nod, “but I must call my sister. She must know about this development.”

“Alright; she’ll understand.” Then, Sunset turning back to her friends: “I repeat, no going through the portal!” Staring at Twilight. “Yes, even you!”

Twilight looked at her, a frown forming as she gazed longingly at the portal.

Sunset opened her bag, took out her journal, and threw it at Applejack. “Keep it! Don’t let anyone steal it!”

Applejack, having caught the book, lifted her hat and placed the journal on her head and under her hat.

Sunset faced the portal, that marble wall.

She ran into it.

A white flash. She was gone, too.


She appeared in the library, flying through and narrowly avoided hitting another table thanks to Starlight floating the table away again. Then, she floated Sunset and put her back on her four hooves.

The both of them looked around, flipping their manes here and there as they found themselves back in the library.

“She’s not here,” Sunset noted, walking to the double doors leading outside.

“Wait!” Starlight yelled, trotting to the bookshelves. She looked up at one in particular.

It looked full and it would have been full if it weren’t for a single book missing.

“That’s from the magic section!” Starlight said, trotting back to Sunset. “Did you teach her magic?”

Sunset shook her head. “No?”

“It’s way up there!” Starlight pointed at the rather high bookshelf. “The ladder’s not here; only a pegasus or a unicorn could’ve gotten it!”

Sunset rubbed her chin in panicked thought. “If your Trixie’s a unicorn, then this Trixie would also be a unicorn—“

“But, how could she know how to levitate stuff?!” Starlight screamed, raising her hoof to the air in frustration. “She hasn’t been a unicorn for more than a quarter of a day!”

“Unless...” Sunset gasped, “unless her talent at stage magic gave her a head start on actual magic!”

Starlight shuddered. “I don’t know why would that make sense, but you’re somehow making sense!”

“We’ve never had any of them come over here, so anything’s possible!” Sunset then galloped to the library doors. “Come on, we gotta find her before she blasts herself on the face!”

And the two unicorns ran out of the library.


Trixie, in her blue-white mane and her blue coat, spread out her cards on the table as she sat inside Starlight’s room. Along with some kites by the side and a couple of bookshelves, there were some interesting items to be found here: a picture of a butterfly tacked to the wall, a little tree by the window through which one could see the night sky with its moon and stars, and several magical artifacts in the form of a purple pyramid and a blue glass sphere. Hanging on the wall by nails were pictures of Starlight and her friends—of course, Trixie appeared among them. Over here, a photo of Starlight and Trixie with a couple of honeysuckle peanut butter sandwiches. In the background, one could find a big green creature with orange antlers making more of those sandwiches.

“And, now,“ Trixie said, putting the cards together in one magical sweep, then picked up one card and showed it to herself, “is this your card?”

It was an ace of diamonds.

Yes!” She punched the air with a hoof. “Two hundred in a row without a mistake! The Great and Powerful Trixie has enough to impress the whole world with her perfection!”

Then, knocks on the door.

Trixie looked back, seeing the door which had a shape of a branching tree painted around it. “Who dares disturb the activities of the Great and Powerful Trixie?” Then, she whispered, “I hope you got home early, Starlight!”

“Ah-ha!” the unseen visitor yelled from outside. “Trixie has indeed found a challenger!”

Trixie’s ears perked up. “What’s this? Are you such a dedicated fan that you could mimic the sonorous voice of the Great and Powerful Trixie?”

“Trixie is more than just a fan!” the voice insisted.

Trixie rolled her eyes as she walked up to the door. “There are many who say they are number one fans of Trixie. But, as it must be so, there can only be one number one fan!”

Then, glowing the doorknob the color of pink, she turned it and opened the door.

Standing in the crystal hallway was a pony in her blue-white mane and her blue coat, only with a slightly bigger mane and a star-shaped hair clip on it.

They reacted to each other with screaming.

Trixie looked upon her other self. “You weren’t kidding about being the number one fan of the Great and Powerful Trixie! Though, you are far from perfect.” She pointed at her mane and her hair clip. “Trixie does not wear mane clips, and your mane is far too long.”

The other Trixie stuck out her tongue. “The Great and Powerful Trixie thinks that your hair is too short and that you lack her signature hair clip!”

Trixie smiled. “Well, Trixie must commend you for following her Great and Powerful speech pattern!”

“Following?!” the other Trixie repeated, slightly wavering. “The Great and Powerful Trixie made it up first!”

“How dare you speak lies!” Trixie shouted, pointing at her. “You profess to be a Great and Powerful fan, but you seek to replace the true Trixie!”

“No, I am the true Trixie!” the other Trixie shouted, pointing at herself—then wobbled out of balance and put her hoof back on the floor.

Trixie raised her brows, looking at her suspiciously. “Do you travel throughout the whole of Equestria inside a wagon, performing tricks for the masses?”

Then, the other Trixie gulped, her confident facade breaking. “Um...Trixie wishes she could, but cars have outdated that.”

“Cars?” Trixie asked, cocking her head. Then, she gasped. “You’re not my number one fan! You’re...you’re Sunset’s Trixie, the Trixie from the other world!”

This other Trixie nodded, confirming the suspicion. “Yes, the Great and Powerful Trixie humbly admits.” She looked at her hooves. “It has been a struggle for Trixie to get used to your ways. Trixie has no fingers, has a horn, and is basically a unicorn. As Great and Powerful Trixie is, she requires your assistance in the ways of true magic”

Trixie looked at her. Then, she noticed the book on her back. “And what is that book you hold?”

The other Trixie pushed the book out of her back and tried to pick it up with her hoof.

Rubbed it with one hoof. No good.

Tried to pick it up with two hooves. No good.

Lowered her horn and pointed it at the book, concentrating and concentrating. No good.

Trixie yawned. “Trixie does not have much time, for she must return to practicing for her next Great and Powerful show in Manehattan.”

“Trixie’s trying!” yelled the other Trixie.

She tried to pick it up with one hoof. She opened the book but it did not stick to her hoof. No good.

Then, with a groan, she bit the book and held it up with her mouth.

Pony Trixie then glowed her horn pink and levitated the book out of her other self’s mouth.

That other Trixie gulped, weakly pointing at the floating book. “I-I-Is that...h-how you use m-magic?”

Trixie nodded, smirking at her magically-incompetent version. Then, with her magic, Trixie rotated it so she could see the front cover. “Ah! Modern Spellcasting! A classic that must be read by the likes of you—yeah, you, who cannot even levitate something as simple as an apple!”

Then, the other Trixie stomped her hoof. “Trixie had to kick the walls just to see any magic book drop! It landed on my back, which was fortunate, but then, I had to learn how to walk with four legs!” She pointed at her. “Do you know how difficult it is to walk with four legs?!”

And wobbled again, almost getting out of balance before putting the hoof back on the squeaky clean floor.

Trixie laughed, pushing the pointed hoof away. “It is easy, other Trixie.”

That other Trixie smacked herself on the hoof. “What do you mean, it’s easy?! Trixie tripped over a dozen times just to get here! If it weren’t so much like a maze, then she would have gotten here in half the trips!”

Pony Trixie chuckled. “That’s because you’re standing right inside Twilight’s castle. Of course, it’s big; I’ve stayed here several times before and I still get lost!”

The other Trixie bit her lip, terrified. “You m-mean...I’m standing right inside Twilight’s—“ gulped “—castle?”

“Duh. She’s a Princess. Doesn’t automatically mean she’s better than me.”

The other Trixie shivered, and ran her way inside, budging her pony self into the room. She then looked back at Trixie. “Hide Trixie from the guards! She doesn’t want to be taken as a prisoner in another world!”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Relax, Trixie. There are no guards. Twilight herself is out on some errands, getting a spa treatment with Rarity.”

The other Trixie’s eye twitched. “How do ponies have spas?!”

Trixie sighed, teasing her with some giggles. “It’s like you don’t even know what a spa is. You go there to get massaged, get your hooficures, and have cucumbers on your eyes. Trixie is sure you know that.”

The other Trixie gulped, looked past everything else and saw a window. She trotted out without stumbling, opened the window panes, and poked her head out.

She looked up and saw the sky. The moon and the stars were there as she expected. However, there were no high-rises in the distance. Instead, she saw a little village a minute’s trot away; most of the lights were still on.

Then, she saw, flapping their wings in the air, several pegasi moving clouds. On the ground, she saw Earth ponies mingling over their picnic mats by the pond over at the school. She even saw non-ponies; there was an orange dragon and a big yak talking with a hippogriff and a blue-green changeling. Finally, to the right, she saw a white unicorn wearing purple shades, levitating her headphones from her ears, trying to see if somepony was calling her name.

Trixie then closed the window shut and turned her back to the wall, facing Trixie with a horrified look. “All Trixie wanted was to prove herself more magical than Sunset! Trixie does not want this...this insanity!”

Pony Trixie snickered, shaking her head. “Looks like we are more alike than I imagined. You want to prove Sunset that you’re magical?” She pointed to herself. “The Great and Powerful Trixie once wanted to prove herself more magical than Twilight!”

The other Trixie shuddered, cowering behind a hoof. “Then, help me!”

Trixie chuckled, then walked up to her, helped her up on her four hooves. “Alright. Trixie will help another Trixie in need, but...it’s going to be hard.”

“Wh-What?”

“Uh, I-I mean...the Great and Powerful Trixie has the obstacle of teaching a unicorn who has never been one for her whole life.” She pointed at her horn which she glowed pink. “So, Trixie shall rehash the lessons from my most helpful assistant, Starlight Glimmer—among others—just for you.”

“Y-You mean the other used-to-be-unicorn?” the other Trixie asked in a scared voice.

“Um...she will be a unicorn again when she returns tomorrow.”

Sweat poured down on the other Trixie’s face. “So...when w-will the lessons end? Trixie does need her sleep, and she cannot stand sleeping in such an unfamiliar world!”

“Trixie shall teach you the basics, first and foremost,” Pony Trixie replied, “beginning with what magic is.” Taking in a deep breath: “Do you know what magic is?”

The other unicorn tapped her head. “Uh...it’s a force?”

Trixie shrugged. “Eh, close enough.” Then, floating up her winning ace of diamonds and moving it around in her pink glow, “It’s basically some kind of energy you can manipulate to do whatever you want except it has lots of rules.”

“That...doesn’t sound very helpful,” the other Trixie answered as her eyes followed the flying card.

“That’s what Starlight taught Trixie, so get used to it!”

The other Trixie gulped again, backing herself to the wall once more. “Wh-What about levitation? Just levitation?”

Trixie rubbed her forehooves together. “Here.” She put down her card on the table and lifted an apple into view. She dropped it onto the ground. “Imagine a cloth or a rag surrounding the apple, and you can move the cloth by just thinking.”

The other Trixie then planted her four hooves to the floor and pointed her horn at the apple. She grunted, groaned, then slouched her shoulders, lolling her tongue out in exhaustion.

The apple stood there as if taunting her for such a pathetic effort.

“Ah, Trixie sees that you are trying too hard for such a primitive thing,” Trixie said. “Don’t force the cloth to take the apple. Just treat it like you’re reading a book. Relax, other me, relax.”

“If y-you say so,” the other Trixie said, now quieter and muted.

Then, she breathed in, breathed out. Instead of planting her hooves on the floor again, she stood casually, almost slouching her shoulders again. She aimed her horn towards the apple, putting on as calm a face as she ever could.

She focused on it.

Then, a sparkling sound could be heard as the apple glowed pink and was slowly, if clumsily, lifted from the ground.

Trixie screamed, her eyes glittering under the lights.

The other Trixie gasped, seeing the apple wobble in mid-air. Then, she looked up, saw her horn glowing pink.

“That’s it!” Trixie encouraged. “Trixie may have failed in her mission to oust Twilight years ago, but she could still help another Trixie in the much less malevolent goal of beating Sunset!”

Then, the door swung open.

And Starlight and Sunset gasped at the other Trixie floating the apple, who was muttering, “S-Sunset? S-Starlight? I-Is that you?”

Pony Trixie turned around and bowed down to the both of them. “No need, no need! Starlight, I have taught the basics of magic to a magicless being!”

Starlight also faced the problem of finding no words to say. “Uh, eh, a-ah—“

“Trixie!” Sunset growled.

And both Trixies looked at her, the other one dropping her apple.

“No, the one with the hair clip!” Sunset yelled, pointing at her. “You’re coming with me!”

The other Trixie moaned. “But, Trixie was just getting started!”

Sunset sighed. “Face it, Trixie. You’re already more magical than me back there since I could only read people’s minds.”

Only?!” she retorted. “That sounds advanced, more advanced than levitating an apple!”

“Trixie, can we just go home?” Sunset asked, sounding tired. “Everyone’s worried about you.”

Pony Trixie then stepped out of the way. “The Great and Powerful Trixie shall oversee the departure of herself.”

Sunset then walked over to the other Trixie. “Are you OK? Can you walk?”

“Of course, Trixie can!” she boasted, pumping herself on the chest. “Trixie faced no hardship whatsoever in the task of walking with hooves!”

Sunset rolled her eyes. “Good thing we only have one Trixie per world.”

Then, hoofsteps from the hallway.

“Sunset?” Twilight’s voice cropped up as the alicorn appeared beside an accompanying Rarity. “Oh, there you are! And Starlight, too! I thought you were—“ and her smile dropped.

Rarity gasped, putting her two forehooves on her cheeks. “Two Trixies?!”

Twilight looked at both Trixies as Starlight gave her a nervous wave, then noticed the one with the hair clip. She glared at her, but quickly assumed a neutral expression. “Well, I hope you enjoyed your time here in the land of Equestria, but as much as I want to accommodate you, you have your own friends back home.”

The other Trixie shivered. “Y-You’re...the Princess?”

“Uh, yes, but you don’t have to—“

But that Trixie fell upon her knees before royalty. “Trixie begs for your Highness’s mercy!”

Pony Trixie glanced away from her other self. “I can’t believe I’m such a pushover.”

Starlight glared at her Trixie.

Trixie then smiled nervously. “Not that it’s a bad thing to beg for mercy from a probably angry Princess, but…!”

Sunset then walked up to Rarity who was confronted with the dilemma of two Trixies in the same room. “Don’t worry. It’s just an accident. We’re bringing her back.”

“Good riddance,” Rarity replied, floating a comb to brush her curled mane with. “One Trixie is enough for me, thank you very much!”


They walked their way through the crystal corridors, passing by many identical doors of green glass and wooden frames. At times, the other Trixie stumbled on her hooves, and one of the ponies there would help her up, even Trixie herself.

Finally, they reached the library where they saw the portal was still swirling in purple.

The other Trixie balked upon seeing it then turned to Sunset. “Trixie is...Trixie i-is sorry for the trouble she’s caused. She promises you that Trixie will never do it again.”

Sunset cast a glare upon her, then mustered up a smile. She patted her on the shoulder with a hoof. “It’s OK. Just...don’t do things like this. You’re only gonna get hurt in the long run.”

“Yes,” she said, nodding her head. “Trixie would rather be alive than dead.”

Pony Trixie nodded with her. “The Great and Powerful Trixie agrees with her own statement.”

Twilight clucked her tongue, levitating the book back to its rightful place. “I gotta admit, it’s surprisingly nice meeting you, but I’m more concerned about your safety than you trying to beat Sunset in a magic contest.” She sighed in relief. “I’m glad you weren’t injured by any manticores, cockatrices, and what not.”

Starlight wiped the sweat on her forehead, seeing the other Trixie pale at the mention of those bizarre words. “So, what do we do? Just walk our way back with Trixie first?”

“Yeah,” was Sunset’s reply.

The other Trixie jumped her way to the front of the group, now standing right before the swirling mirror. She shuddered, her hooves shaky.

“Twilight and the others will be waiting for you,” Sunset told. “Vice Principal Luna’s also there.”

What?!” yelped the other Trixie. “Trixie thought she was forgiven!”

“They’re standing guard,” reassured Sunset. “It’s no big deal.”

Then, the other Trixie sighed. “If that’s the case….” She waved at her pony self. “Farewell, other Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Trixie waved back at her. “You, too, Trixie.”

Twilight smiled at that. Rarity, however, did not, but was close to plugging her ears in irritation.

“Bye, Princess Twilight!” the other Trixie said, waving at her now. “Trixie hopes you do not hurt me!”

“I won’t!” said Twilight in a lively tone.

That other Trixie inhaled a lot of air, then turned her face back to the portal.

And was attacked by a bright flash and was slammed all the way to the far end of the room, both of them hurling towards that same old table before same old Starlight levitated it out of the same old way.

The other Trixie groaned as she struggled to get up, though another figure was there. Another pony, specifically.

More specifically, a purple unicorn wearing glasses. “Ugh….”

Twilight gasped at the sight of her. “Wait, what?! Twilight?”

“Wait, it’s the other Twilight?!” Rarity shrieked, then proceeded to trot a dozen steps behind a table.

Then, the glasses-wearing Twilight stood up, trying to get a grasp of the floor with her hoof, but slipped.

Starlight galloped to her, floated her up, and plopped her down on her four hooves.

Princess Twilight ran to her as well, went to her side. Placing a hoof around her neck, she noticed the different manestyle on her other self, that her mane was done in a ponytail.

Twi’s eyes fluttered. “Uh...wh-what happened...” then, she looked around, seeing the books, the crystal walls, the portal contraption, and then the ponies around her. “Am I h-here? Am I actually here?”

“Yes, Twilight, you are,” the Princess said, looking straight at her.

Twi smiled. Then, shivered when she realized who it was. “Princess Twilight?!”

She nodded. “Yeah, it’s me. Heh-heh.” She grinned nervously. “I mean, since I visited your world a few times already, it’s only fitting you’d come over someday.”

Sunset looked at the portal, then looked back at Twi. A scowl, but then that disappeared. Instead, she ran over to her friend and went to her side. “Are you OK?” She picked up one of her hooves. “No scars, no wounds? No aches, no pain?”

Twi shook her head, then looked down at her own hooves. “Woah! Uh...this...this is gonna take some time getting used to.”

“There won’t be much time,” Sunset said, pointing at the portal with her hoof. “We still have to get both Trixie and you back.”

Then, Twi bit her lip, looked around and saw the ponies there. Then, she lowered her head.

Rarity, having gotten over her momentary fear, trotted up to the newcomer, and looked at her. “Amazing! You’re almost a dead ringer for the Princess herself!”

Sunset chuckled at that, then turned to Twi. “I know you want to go here and I know you must be so happy you finally made it, but...” Sunset faked a cough. “Some...some other time.”

The Princess had her mouth open in surprise, in thought, as she saw Sunset help Twi walk to the portal’s steps, the latter struggling with which hoof to move first and then second and so on. She wobbled, almost tripped, but Sunset would catch her with a hoof there and then.

The other Trixie watched Twi being helped. “It’s even more sad seeing others do that!”

Pony Trixie opened her mouth to say something snarky, but refrained at the sight of Starlight’s menacing glower.

Sunset brought her to the front of the portal, seeing and feeling the heavy air as the purple swirl spun around.

Rarity went closer to the portal, watching the silent interactions between Sunset and Twi.

Starlight trotted up to the portal’s side, and she, Sunset, and Rarity all looked at the Princess.

She waved at her other self who was looking back. “Sorry for cutting your time here short, but...it’s been nice having you here.”

Twi stood there for a while. Then, she gave her a smile made poignant with those glasses.

Sunset looked at the swirling portal. “You go first, Twi. Rest of us and Trixie will follow.”

Twi shuddered. “M-Me?”

Then, with everyone silent, she did not wait for an answer and took a deep breath.

One hoof forward.

Another hoof forward.

No trip. No stumbling.

And then a slow trot into the portal, disappearing in a bright white flash.