• Published 13th Jul 2018
  • 9,539 Views, 719 Comments

Magical Curiosity - Comma Typer



Sunset Shimmer's close friends know about the magical world called "Equestria", but, soon, Twilight becomes unsatisfied with just having their questions answered. So, Sunset brings her camera in her next trip across the portal.

  • ...
20
 719
 9,539

The Experts...

“’….I do not care if thou hast to forego royal protocol. If we do not receive any help on how to handle these celestial objects, the both of us may send this planet into unprecendented chaos! Hasten now before we and Cadance become ponies!’”

And Sparkle left the journal open on the table.

In the library now, it was just her, Sunset, Starlight, Sci-Twi, and the two Spikes watching from another table, with Dragon wearing a yellow helmet and Spike holding a hammer.

“That’s it,” Sparkle said, levitating the next page to reveal nothing more. Facing up to her friends: “All we know is that Principal Celestia is now a pony, but that’s trouble enough!

Starlight bit her lip. “Doesn’t their world revolve around the sun?”

“Yes,” Sci-Twi replied, eyes still a little red, “but if she’s literally going to move the sun—“ and, after a moment’s thought, smacked her head on the table, though with an “Ow!” since she also smacked her horn there, cracking the surface.

This prompted both Spikes to run over there, fix the crack on the surface, and run back to their table, watching the ponies closely again with open ears.

“She could either burn or freeze all of us without even knowing it,” Sunset remarked. Then, raising a hoof about to strike the table: “I don’t want her to hear of any this, but Principal Celestia is just an ordinary woman! She’s not an astronomer and she’s never majored in astrophysics or some other space subject!”

Sci-Twi’s teeth clattered, hooves on her bunned mane as she hid a bit of her face from view.

“That is truly dangerous,” said Sparkle, balking at the thought of the principal accidentally throwing the sun right down to the dirt. “There must be a huge amount of Equestrian magic running loose in your world, but how did it get there?”

“What about starting with what connects the two worlds?” Starlight asked, gesturing towards the portal and leading everyone’s eyes there. “Since Bulk Biceps broke the statue, things have gotten worse.”

“Except people were manifesting pony habits before that,” Sunset replied. Then, scratching her mane as she looked hard on the table, “Come to think of it, everything started going downhill after Rainbow toppled the statue.”

Starlight glanced at her. “So it’s Dash’s fault?”

Sci-Twi’s eye twitched. “Are you saying that the world could burn before the day’s over because Rainbow Dash had to kick that soccer ball?!”

“Wait,” Sparkle said, holding up a hoof at her. “Let’s not jump to conclusions.” Then, turning to Sunset: “When was the first time the statue was damaged in any way?”

Sunset’s eyes briefly darted towards Sci-Twi, but then bounced back to the princess. “Uh, why?”

Sparkle sighed. “I’m afraid that this isn’t new. Rather, this is the culmination of a magic build-up over days, weeks, months, years….”

“Why not when the portal was first used?” Starlight asked. “Surely there had to be some kind of interaction between the worlds before we came along.”

Sunset gave her a glare. “I don’t think I’m responsible for this.” Pointing at the world beyond the mirror, “I’ve stayed there for years before Twilight arrived and magic never appeared a single instant.”

“Then what about the memory stone that must’ve stayed there for over a thousand years?” Starlight asked with a raised hoof and a cocked head. “Or the sirens, for that matter? Weren’t they pre-Equestria?”

Sunset rubbed her chin. “That’s interesti—“

Sparkle gasped.

Sunset and Starlight looked at her. “What is it?” they asked together.

The princess rubbed her aching head, looking over the journal and re-reading Luna’s plea. “While we may not know whether the sirens stayed there for that long or were just transported forward in time, the memory stone did remain buried for quite a while.”

“So you’re saying—“ and Dragon raised his hand, trying to clarify as everyone else looked at him. “You’re saying that magic’s been in that world for ages?”

Sparkle first said and did nothing. Then, she nodded. “Yes, Spike—“

And Spike perked up. “What?”

Sparkle moaned. Then, restarting while floating the book with an overloaded mind: “Yes, magic has been in their world for a long time. In the case of the memory stone, it was dormant and did nothing at all in its time underground. We don’t know how many more magical artifacts made it there...” and shook her head, “but that’s not the point.”

Starlight nodded, only to recoil at what she just noddded to. “Wait, it’s not?”

“It’s not,” the princess repeated. “It all began when...” and looked at Sunset.

Sunset looked back at her.

Then knew what it meant, her ears drooping. “...when we both used magic back at the Formal, didn’t it?”

Sparkle nodded again. “What I’ve noticed was that even though your friends never had magical geodes or couldn’t pony up before, they were able to do just that...but, as far as I know, they never came in contact with Equestrian artifacts, relics, stones….”

Sunset blinked. “So, when they ponied up, they took in the...magical radiation?”

“That’s one theory,” Sparkle said., holding up a hoof as she collected her thoughts. “Of course, I still believe that it was the magic I brought along with me and I just unconsciously spread it to them so they’d pony up that time—but, as you know, that magic still lingered after I left.”

Sunset was silent as she gave Starlight a glance. She then looked at Sci-Twi who was becoming more reserved and withdrawn from the conversation, looking more at the floor then at her buddies.

Then, Sparkle eyed Sci-Twi and covered her mouth.

Sci-Twi noticed the look then gritted her teeth, swallowing a big lump. “I remember the question...and I remember blowing the statue up.” With more tears welling up: “D-Does that mean I caused this?”

“Not on purpose,” Starlight said, placing a hoof on her head.

Sci-Twi glowered at her. In a round of sarcasm: “Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.”

Sparkle browsed the journal, looking over the pages and—“Hold on! Luna wrote something about colorful lights coming from the school’s front yard, saying that it’s most likely from the statue.”

Sci-Twi frowned more, drawing her head away from the table.

Sparkle looked at her other self. “Look, Twi. We’re not blaming you—even if it was technically your fault, you weren’t in control.” She paused, giving Sci-Twi time to think it through. “You were consumed and corrupted by magic; if it was anyone’s fault, it was either Cinch or Midnight Sparkle which isn’t you!”

Sci-Twi then place a hoof on the table, sweating. “What if she’s coming back?”

Sunset trotted to her side and placed a hoof on her shoulder. “Twilight, we’ve been through this. You are not Midnight—“

“But what if she’s becoming someone more?!” Sci-Twi yelled. She trembled, looking at her hooves. “She wanted to study magic, and now that our world’s about to become devoured by—“

And gasped.

“No...” and looked at her hooves again. Then, pointing at herself: “Am I growing dark wings? Is my horn long and broken? Are my glasses glowing? Are my eyes glowing?!”

Starlight scrutinized her features. Smiling confidently: “Nope!”

Sci-Twi looked around her, taking in the crystal walls and the bookshelves—of course, she did not forget the conspicious portal. “I’m inside a world full of magic; this was my chance to study magic free from trouble.” Then, after a cough: “What if Midnight Sparkle’s about to pop up and take over me?!”

And Spike ran to her side, tugging her stray forehoof. “Don’t worry, Twi! We’re always behind you!”

Sparkle gulped. “You think so?”

Dragon nodded as he went to his side. “We both think so!” Then, facing Spike, “Right, bud?”

“Right, ‘o!”

The Spikes high-fived each other.

Sunset smiled at two dragons slapping their claws like that. Then, becoming more sympathetic towards Sci-Twi: “And what if Midnight Sparkle does come back? That’s nothing the magic of friendship can’t stop.”

Sparkle then shed a tear, her eyes glinting. “W-Wow! That’s so beautiful coming from you!”

Starlight then pointed at the journal. “Uh, girls? Let’s not forget some random principal could turn off the sun any moment now!”

And everyone gulped, dropping their smiles and going back to stress-out mode complete with sweat and jitters.

Sparkle levitated a quill, dipped it in ink. She turned her head towards the journal, seeing the empty space below Luna’s writing. In a rising voice: “Alright, Luna! You’ll get your help—“

“Uh, Miss Twilight?”

Everyone there looked at the now open doors.

They saw Gallus and Ocellus standing there—or flying there as was the case with Gallus. The griffon was holding an electric guitar and the changeling, a pair of drum sticks.

Ocellus looked at Sci-Twi, intrigued by her appearance. “Is that the Twilight from Sunset’s dimension?”

Gallus chuckled. “You somehow look nerdier than she already is!”

Sci-Twi scowled at him. “Really?”

Sunset groaned. “I exist!”

“Oh, sorry!” Ocellus said, blushing and putting the drumsticks’ tips to her cheeks. “You didn’t stand out much.”

Sunset chuckled, looking nervously at the floating quill not doing any writing. “Sure am, despite me being the only one in the room that does not have the color purple anywhere—“ sweeping the Twilights, the Starlight, and the Spikes with one giant glower. Then, she smiled for the students though nudged the princess with a hoof.

Having caught Sunset’s intention, Sparkle cleared her throat. Facing Gallus and Ocellus: “As much as we’d like to let you in and have some nice chit-chat over a cup of tea, we’re busy with a really important meeting.”

Gallus raised a brow. “Must be important if the guidance counselor’s here.”

Starlight smiled, then smirked at Sunset. “Hah! I exist more than you.”

Sunset grumbled. “How can you exist more than anyone else?” she muttered.

Ocellus then noticed the two Spikes. “Ooh! You have dragons there, too?”

Spike chuckled, scratching the back of his head. “You don’t wanna know.”

Sunset then shoved Sparkle on the shoulder, whispering, “Can you get them out of here?”

Sparkle cleared her throat again, facing her students another time. “I don’t want to sound rude, but we’re busy with a really, really, really important—“

Then, Sunset plugged her mouth with a hoof, staring at the guitar. “Wait a minute!” Looking at a surprised Gallus: “Wh-Where did you get that guitar?”

Gallus flew to her and showed it to the mare. “That’s why we came here. This guitar and the drumsticks over there appeared out of some random portal in the library. We tried to return it to their owners, but I’ve got no idea who they were or where the portal even led to—also, it flashed away, so there’s that.”

“We tried asking Vinyl Scratch,” Ocellus added, raising a drumstick; “she’s a very musical pony, that’s why, but she said she’s never seen the likes of it before.”

Sunset bit her lip, glowing the guitar out of Gallus’s grip—“Hey!”—and levitating it in front of her eyes, rotating it around without letting it slip.

Sci-Twi bit her hoofnails as Sunset examined the out-of-place guitar. “It can’t possibly be what I think it is, is it?”

Sunset sighed and floated it to the table. “It is, Sci-Twi.” Putting a hoof on the instrument, “This is not a guitar made for ponies. It must’ve come from our world.”

Ocellus cocked her head. “You were born a pony, right?”

Sunset sighed, tugging her mane. “Yes, I am, but I live there—“

Sparkle then plugged her mouth with a hoof, levitating the guitar. “Sunset, do you know what this means?!”

Starlight raised her hoof. In a monotone voice mimicking that of a bored student asked to recite a paragraph: “Portals are appearing in the other world and they’re sucking random items into our world.”

Sparkle gulped. “Not just that, but—

“—also transfering the magic of our world to their world,” Starlight said, still in that dull voice. Then, in a more normal tone: “Can we just write to Luna already?”

Sparkle scratched her head. Then, facing the two students one last time: “I really enjoyed your company, but this is extremely important stuff.”

“How extreme?” Gallus asked.

“Um...”

Starlight pounded a hoof to the table, deflecting attention away from the nervous princess. “Apocalypse-level extreme!”

Gallus raised a brow again. “So, normal stuff.”

Starlight grinned, crossing her forehooves on the table. “Yeah, normal stuff!”

Sci-Twi grinned with her. “Totally normal! Nothing to w-worry about!”

Gallus and Ocellus exchanged glances, then turned back towards the ponies.

“OK, then,” said the griffon as they slowly moved out of the library. “Bye!”

Slam!

Standing outside in the hallway, Gallus looked down at Ocellus, still flying above her. “How come we don’t get in on the action?”

Ocellus scratched her head with both drumsticks. “They certainly know what they’re doing, though.”

Gallus then pointed at the instruments-turned-backscratchers. “Ocellus, I bet they need that, too.”

“Oh.”

And Ocellus threw them under the door.

Gallus was in awe at what the changeling just did, beak open. “You’re a very practical bug.”

Back inside the library, while Dragon picked up the drumsticks, Sparkle was busy writing on the journal, saying her words out loud as the quill rode through the pages:

“’...and be sure that Celestia stays under constant sunlight. We have no idea how bad the magic’s there or how a magicless sun’s reacting to magic. Whatever you do, don’t let her—‘”

Then, she shot up from the journal, facing Dragon. “Spike—uh, I mean, Mister the Dragon—ugh! My Spike!”

“I’m here,” Dragon spoke, sitting on the chair beside hers.

Sparkle levitated an empty scroll to him and gave him her quill.

“What’re you doing?!” Sci-Twi asked.

Not minding Sci-Twi’s question, Sparkle sat straight on the chair on all four hooves and began:

“’Dear Princess Celestia, there is an inter-dimensional emergency in our hooves. Equestrian magic has been leaking through the crystal mirror into Sunset’s world at critical rates, and it’s threatening to turn everything magical. None of us know how catastrophic such an event would turn out, if it’s even undoable! Please come over and, if you can, bring Princess Luna, too!’”

And Spike was done writing the scroll. He breathed fire to it, and the fire became a smoke that flew through the library’s doors.

Sci-Twi gazed upon where the smoke had been. “Oh, so that’s how you use Spike as a postal service!”

Spike glared at her. “Don’t get any ideas.”

Then, the doors swung open, revealing Rare and Cotton Candy.

Starlight groaned. “What now?!”

Rare gulped. “Rarity has a problem.”

As Rarity limped by with glowing blue eyes, levitating carpets and banners with her, moaning, “Must. Make. Dress.”

Sci-Twi screamed at spooky Rarity. “What happened?!”

Cotton took in a deep breath and, in fast pace: “She tried to cast the Facere Habitu spell to dressmake her sorrows away, but it backfired on her and now she’s a mindless dress-making zombie!”

As Rarity kept limping by at a slow crawl, magically dragging the fabrics around her. “Dresses….”

Sparkle eyed Starlight, still levitating her quill. She half-closed her eyes and ordered, “Bring Twi and Sunset along! I still have to write Luna and the principals!”

Starlight nodded then levitated Sci-Twi and Sunset—and Spike—out of their chairs as she and they went out of the library without a word and then Starlight slammed the doors shut behind her.

Now, it was just Sparkle and her Spike.

As she resumed writing, grunting at every time she encountered a snag in thought. Sweat dropped to the pages of her journal, splotching it. All she hoped was that it would not dilute the message.