• Published 20th Jun 2018
  • 492 Views, 1 Comments

The Elements of Tyranny - Wings of Black Glass



Centuries after Luna was banished, there were villains who sought to rule Equestria. Centuries before Twilight Sparkle, there were heroes who fought to save it. Harmony is not the only source of power in these lands.

  • ...
 1
 492

The 6th Session: Noble Families

“Well, that was fun, now what?” They all stand in the palace courtyard, having rejoined Ormr and Rampart Rock. Tiny was able to shift back into his chosen pony form before leaving the library, his secret remains secure. “I mean, that was ominous and all, but what are we supposed to do about it?”

“Yak doesn’t know what Tiny pony means.”

“Princess Celestia is worried about the return of an old enemy.” Red Haze explains. “I don’t know what to do either.”

“For the time being there isn’t much we can do. Until we have more information or another assignment, our time is our own.” Eclipse nods and then gestures towards the city. “We should leave the palace grounds before the guards start to get nervous.”

“They’ll get used to you eventually.” Rampart salutes to the other royal guardsponies. “I expect you will be a common sight at the palace in the weeks and months ahead.” In one large group, they all leave the palace behind.

“Months?” Red blinks. “I don’t think I’ve stayed that long in one place since I was a filly. Where will I stay?”

“With all those bits we took from the Naga, I expect you could live quite comfortably for a few years or longer.”

“There is no need to search for lodging.” Eclipse leads them towards the city’s edge, heading up the mountain. “You can all stay with my family. I’m sure we can find space in the auxiliary building on the estate.”

“Estate? You have an estate?”

“Noble family of the Astrals, remember? We may have lost most of our lands, but not all. We still have our mansion, as well as ownership over some glass-works and a clockmaker’s workshop.”

“You really like to exposit, don’t you?” Tiny rolls his eyes.

“I’m sorry about that. It comes with the position, I’m always having to explain something to somepony.”

“And you’re still doing it.” Tiny jabs him in the side with a taunting hoof. Then they follow him uphill, out past the edge of the city proper. Red glances at Rampart, who continues to keep pace with them.

“Do you really have to stick around?”

“My mission is to keep you three safe. At least until I am reassigned, anyway.”

“Yak not counted?”

“No, Ormr, you are not part of my mandate. That and I think you are quite able to take care of yourself, you need no additional protection from me.”

“I agree with Rampart,” says Eclipse. “I am sure my father will find the extra security a relief once he hears about all this.”

“Assuming he doesn’t already.”

“I guarantee he doesn’t know it all, I don’t care how good his agents are.”

“Well then, how much are you going to tell him?” Red’s question brings Eclipse to a halt. “It can’t be everything. Celestia didn’t even tell this to the captain of her guard.”

“I… don’t know.”

“That’s a first.”

“Just tell him the truth.” Suggests Red.

“There’s a lot to unpack there, given the nature of our mission I don’t think that’s wise.” He shakes his head and resumes walking.

“I said the truth, not the whole story. We are working with Celestia, she is worried about an old enemy.”

“The rest is on a need to know basis, and your father doesn’t. I’m your bodyguard and I don’t know the whole story either.”

“You are not my father.” The noble Unicorn shakes his head. “That will never satisfy him.”

“Well, if he doesn’t like it you can tell him to take it up with Celestia herself, that will shut him up.” Eclipse doesn’t respond to Tiny this time, contemplating what he is going to tell his father.

He is quiet all the way up to the point where they approach a wrought iron gate and fence, over a dozen feet high and topped with nearly spear-like points. On the other side of the fence, some distance away and right up against the cliff-face is a thin and tall five-storied house; the first two floors made from blocks of finely polished stone, and the remaining three constructed of pine timber. The roof is sharply angled over the uppermost level, and the front face has a large circular window dominating the fourth and fifth floors. Shut curtains hide the interior through the large window, all the other windows are shuttered. A few other windows on the stone cliff itself indicate that the structure is built partially inside the mountain.

A similar, if significantly smaller structure, is opposite it in the yard. The second building is only two floors high, and the roof is not as sharply inclined. Both buildings are nestled in an alcove in the cliff-face which nearly hides both of them from the city itself, now somewhat further down the mountain from them. Although, it appears if one were to stand on the fourth or fifth floors you could see the city over the roof of the smaller building.

Rampart casts his eyes around the small compound, taking note of the vulnerabilities and strengths of the position. Having just seen the royal palace, neither Red nor Tiny are particularly awed by the building.

“Welcome to the Astral family estate.” Eclipse approaches the gate and pushes it open using magic, the hinges squeal in protest but open regardless. “I should introduce you to my parents and siblings, if they are home at the moment, before we settle you into the auxiliary.”

“Yak doesn’t need soft pony bed.” Ormr snorts, unimpressed.

“I… it can be arranged for you to sleep outside if you wish it.” Eclipse blinks in confusion but decides against arguing with the Yak. He leads them up the gravel path to the larger of the two buildings. Along the way, they pass a single statue of a rearing Alicorn with its wings spread wide. Red pauses to look at it.

“That doesn’t look like Princess Celestia. Its legs are too short, and the mane is wrong.”

“Correct, that is what we believe Princess Luna looked like before she was corrupted into Nightmare Moon.”

“And she lets you display it like this? Out in the open?”

“Celestia takes no stance on the beliefs of those who live in Equestria, despite the fact that many worship her as a goddess,” Rampart explains.

“How can you say that? She controls the sun and the moon in the sky! Of course, she is a goddess!”

“I have seen her make mistakes.” Rampart retorts. “She had to be told about the problems in the north and knew nothing about the Naga. Not only that, but she had to send us to handle it. She is neither omniscient nor omnipotent. Celestia is not a goddess.”

“I foresee this conversation happening again in our future.” Tiny interrupts as embers flare at the ends of Red’s mane and tail. “Douse it, hot stuff. I don’t think Eclipse would appreciate torching his dad’s house before we even get inside.”

“Please don’t burn my home down.” Red glances at him and takes a few deep breaths to calm herself, and the little glowing embers fade down. “Thank you.” With that Eclipse opens the heavy looking front door and leads them all inside. The moment the door opens the sound of a ringing bell emits out of nowhere.

The interior of the foyer certainly wants to be imposing, as it is constructed entirely of flat polished stone with marble pillars lining the walls. However, the columns are not actually load bearing, as they are clearly part of the wall. The nearly floor to ceiling paintings of the Twin Princesses victory over King Sombra and Discord are both too large and too grandiose for the scale of the room. The gold glistening on the staircase banisters should be an obvious extravagance, but they are clearly only veneer thin.

“Welcome home, master Eclipse.” An older grey unicorn appears from a side room, he quickly glances over all the arrivals, unfazed by Red and Tiny, and not even batting an eyelid at the Yak in the entry. The Earth pony in the royal guard armor, however, does cause him to blink.

“Good afternoon, Sterling. Is my father home?”

“Master Dusk is in the city on business at this time. Mistress Crystal is in her studio, as usual.” Eclipse sighs at this. “Master Glint is… still sleeping I believe. Mistress Aurora is out with friends, she said she would be with Cheery Cherry until this evening.”

“Very well. My visitors here will need accommodations. Will you please prepare the auxiliary rooms?”

“I already have, sir.” Eclipse raises a curious eyebrow. “Your father left instructions that the rooms be ready for your return before he left.”

“How could he possibly know we were going to be here?” Red speaks out.

“I’m going to guess someone sent him a message once we were seen arriving at the Landing.” Rampart speculates.

“He indicated as much.” Sterling nods to the new arrivals. “If you would please follow me, I’ll show you to your rooms.”


“You look like a mare wearing that tiara.” The Unicorn stallion, Eclipse’s brother, Gleaming Glint, shoves another spoonful of pasta into his mouth. Sauce dribbles down his chin and he wipes it away with his sapphire blue arm, licking the spill and cleaning his fur on the tablecloth.

“It’s a repository of magical energy.” Eclipse frowns. “Not jewelry.”

“He’s right, you know.” Tiny nearly laughs.

“You’re already pretty effeminate, the circlet isn’t helping with that at all.” Red Haze at least tries to explain. Eclipse glares at her but does not retort.

“So, is the Yak outside going to eat with us?” Glint jabs a hoof towards the window, through which Ormr can be seen.

“I suspect our… friend there will be eating outside if we’re lucky.” Rampart answers. “I doubt he’d be much for conversation anyway.”

“I’ve never talked to a Yak before anyways.” Gleaming Glint shrugs, nearly spilling his wine. “I’d like to chat him up a bit.”

“Ormr is not exactly eloquent, or up to date on modern Equestrian life.”

“That’s what makes him interesting.” Eclipse raises a curious eyebrow towards his brother but does not continue the question.

“I can see Mother is working on a new piece.” He directs this towards one of the empty spaces by the head of the table.

“If you can call it working. She’s been staring at that blank canvas for two days.”

“Your mother is an artist? Did she paint those in the entry?” Red makes the attempt to be polite as Rampart and Tiny ignore this new line of conversation.

“If she had, we wouldn’t be living out here in this dump.” Gleaming snorts, earning him a reprimanding glare from Eclipse. For an instant, it looks like the midnight unicorn might shout at his older brother, but the moment passes. Red lets out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding in relief.

“She paints somewhat more… expressively than most.”

“If by that you mean she makes a huge mess making terrible art. We’ve stopped trying to clean it up.”

“At least she’s doing something with herself.” Now it’s Eclipse’s turn to earn a disapproving glare from his brother. Much, unsaid, passes between them.

“I do believe we’ve stepped into a family squabble. Anyone up for a card game?” Tiny makes a shallow attempt to diffuse the tension. The front door chimes, and Eclipse and Gleaming Glint both seize up. Eclipse sits nearly ramrod straight and his brother actually makes a real effort to appear regal, which fails. Eclipse’s eyes dart up for an instant and he quickly snatches the casting crown from his brow and sets it on the table before him.

“What’s with the shaggy carpet outside?” A bright mare’s voice reaches up to them from the foyer and both siblings immediately relax. Red, Tiny, and Rampart all share a glance over the brothers clear discomfort. Shortly the owner of the voice, a sky blue Unicorn mare slightly older than Eclipse enters the dining room. She flips her luxurious strawberry red hair out of her eyes and sweeps them over the assembled guests. She nods when she spots Eclipse. “That explains it, I take it you are are my brother’s new co-workers?”

“You are correct. Welcome home, Aurora Borealia.”

“Neatly introducing me to all your companions at once, you aren’t nearly as clever as you sometimes think you are.”

“Ha! I like her.” Tiny raises his glass to the mare. “Tiny Hooves, happy to meet you.” He gives her a welcoming smile and a flirtatious wink. Aurora just rolls her eyes and goes to her place beside the empty spaces reserved for her parents. Sterling appears as if summoned with her plate before vanishing neatly out of view behind a screen. Aurora and Glint make no note of his presence, Eclipse nods once towards him in thanks.

“Careful, Tiny.” Red was paying enough attention to see Eclipse’s mouth twinge at Tiny’s behavior towards his sister. “I don’t think he approves.”

“You lot are the talk of the town. Parading a Yak and that cage through the city, surrounded by royal guards. Everyone is talking about it.”

“All speculation, I assume.”

“I overheard some of the other girls saying it was a diplomat from Yakyakistan. Cherry thinks it was a gift for the princess. I am of the opinion it’s something a bit more dangerous.”

“That would be accurate.”

“We brought a captive Naga to the Princess.” Rampart blurts it out. Gleaming Glint coughs as he nearly inhales his wine.

“Really? What could she need with a Naga?”

“Don’t be stupid, Glint. You don’t even know what a Naga is.” Aurora is unafraid of insulting her older brother. The other blue Unicorn scowls at her but lets the insult slip pass without devolving into an argument.

“It was a monster that killed eleven Pegasus and maimed another. We captured it, in a town on the northern border.”

“So, that’s where you’ve been. Your letter didn’t say what it was you were doing.”

“To be fair, we didn’t know what we were doing until we got there.” Red runs to Eclipse’s defense.

“Father was furious you didn’t come back on schedule.” Eclipse twitches visibly at this from Aurora. “Your letter didn’t do much to calm him.” Eclipse shifts weight from one hoof to the other as he squirms uncomfortably. “He should be home soon.” Gleaming smirks slightly at his brother’s discomfort when the front door chimes again.

Sterling’s muffled voice drifts up them as he speaks to the new arrival, the precise and hard voice that responds sets the Astral family siblings on a razor’s edge. Measured hoofsteps up the stairs precede a straight-necked Unicorn stallion entering the dining room. The teal figure sweeps his stern eyes across the gathered ponies until they rest on Eclipse, and he frowns.

“Welcome home, father.” Dusk Light does not immediately answer his son or return the greeting. All three of his children wait quietly for him to speak.

“It would seem we have guests.” He stalks to the head of the table and seats himself. Sterling appearing with a glass of wine and plate for the head of the family, Dusk waves the meal away before the butler can place it before him.

“This is Red Haze, Tiny hooves, and Rampart Rock.” Somewhat woodenly, Eclipse introduces them all. “The Yak outside is Ormr.”

“Celestia’s new agents, as I understand it.” He sounds utterly unimpressed, although he does nod slightly to Rampart Rock.

“We’ve just returned-”

“I am aware of your little adventure in Shine Shire. As well as it’s resolution.” Dusk affixes a critical unblinking eye on Eclipse. The younger unicorn nearly shrivels under his father’s gaze, whatever the patriarch found distasteful about his son’s activity is left unsaid in the presence of others. “I find the quality of the outcome… acceptable.”

“High praise.” Aurora’s tone makes her sarcasm clear.

“I thought he performed quite admirably.” Tiny gives Eclipse a little salute with his wineglass.

“The opinion of a rabid mongrel is of little value.” Dusk doesn’t hesitate the slightest in his insult. Tiny carefully sets his glass on the table and glares little daggers at the Teal Unicorn.

“Insult me again, and see what happens.” Everpony else freezes as they wait for the confrontation to play out. Glint’s fork slips out of his grasp with a clatter.

“The dog threatens to bite while sitting at his master’s table.” Unlike Dusk, Tiny hesitates. Slowly the disguised changeling stands. Rampart stiffens, ready to impose himself between the two before it can come to blows.

“Sir.” Tiny’s voice nearly drips with scorn. “Your insults are sub-par, and your creativity is disappointing.” Then Tiny pointedly looks away from Dusk to his friends. “I’ll see you all in the morning.” With that, he slips out of the room and down through the front door, which only chimes when someone opens the door from the outside.

“Ah, the mutt has no teeth.” Dusk subtly grins. “At least he knows when not to bark.” Dusk’s gaze slides over to Red Haze, whose mane is nearly smoldering. “The stray should keep her heat under control, or I will have her spayed.” Red nearly explodes, flames crackling off her mane and tail as she snarls at him. In a fraction of an instant a bright beam of blazing magic streaks out towards Dusk, only for the magic to be lashed out of the air and snapped apart by Eclipse as he defends his father. Glint and Aurora are unable to keep their composure, shouting and scurrying away from the table. Dusk merely raises an eyebrow, his hooves steepled before him. “No hesitation. Good.”

“Red, stand down!” Rampart imposes himself between Red and the others, facing her. Her only response is a rather draconic growl. “Calm down!” She tries to advance, but Rampart pushes her back, the hoof on her shoulder smoking slightly. He lowers his voice so only she can hear. “This is what he wants, don’t give it to him. It’s not worth the trouble.” She doesn’t quite calm, but her fires dim somewhat.

“I don’t care how noble he thinks he is, no one insults me like that!”

“If you continue to attack him, I’ll have to stop you.”

“Why? You heard what he called me!?”

“I did. But, this is his home, it doesn’t matter how bad the insult, I can’t let you attack somepony over it. I’m sorry.” Red looks past Rampart and notes that Eclipse is now standing between them and Dusk, glancing between his father and her, clearly uncertain what to do about the situation. She seethes for a moment longer before turning towards the door.

“Fine. It’s clear I’m not wanted here.” The front door slams shut behind her. Only when the tension of the moment passes does Rampart turn towards Dusk.

“Are you are going to insult me out of the room as well?”

“Not at all. I have heard nothing but praise for Rampart Rock of the royal guard. I have no need to question your competence, considering how you handled yourself guarding my son in the north.” Eclipse cringes, having understood exactly what his father meant. Despite being a ‘mere’ guardspony, Rampart didn’t miss it either.

“I was already wounded.” Rampart sits back down to finish his dinner, not allowing Dusk to rattle him the way he did the others. “Needlessly putting myself in further harm's way would have only made me a liability on a battlefield. Sitting out a skirmish or two was the right call.”

“It is good to see a pony who knows his place.” Dusk nods, and finally allows Sterling to bring him his meal. “Eclipse, I expect to have words with you once you have spoken to your new companions.”

“Yes, father.” Eclipse’s eyes fall to his plate, despite having eaten little of it he cannot bring himself to finish the meal over the knots inside him. Glint and Aurora return to their seats, and aside from the clinking of silverware the rest of the meal is spent in tense silence.

Outside, steam and faint smoke emit from Red as she vents. A hoofstep on the gravel behind her causes her to spin, a ray of heat focused into a cutting torch nearly slicing Tiny’s neck open.

“Easy, it’s just me!” The changeling backs away a few steps, and Red snuffs the fire. “So what did he say to you?”

“I refuse to repeat it.” She spits. “What are doing out here?”

“Waiting for you. I’m sorry I couldn’t warn you any better.”

“Warn me? You knew he was going to do that?”

“I guessed.” He shrugs. “After he insulted me I figured he would turn on you and Rampart. Ormr too, if he were inside.”

“Why, what does he gain?”

“It’s a dominance thing. He wants us to know who’s in charge. As long as you don’t resist, he’ll leave you alone now. It was like that at the hive.” Tiny slowly turns and heads towards the auxiliary. “It’s why we left.”

“You and your brother? You haven’t talked much about him.”

“We were twins, ha-” He blinks and looks around, making sure nopony was within earshot. “Born together, lived together. We were both a little small, and knew we had to have each other’s backs.” Tiny pauses for a moment, on the way across the estate, to watch Ormr performing some kind of Yak ritual involving noisily crushing a tree branch. “It was the only way for us to survive, fighting daily for a chance to feed.”

“Feed on what?”

“I wasn’t going to say.” Tiny flinches. “The Queen kept… let’s call it livestock, in pens across the city for the drones to feed on. But you had to earn that chance, you had to get there while there was still food to be had.” Now he shudders again. “Weeding out the weak ones. That’s what the justification was.”

“That’s utterly horrible.” Red pushes open the auxiliary building door. Compared to the main building it’s quite spartan. The paintings on the walls are small and mundane, the carpet simple if well made, and the floors freshly swept but not polished.

“In every sense, from any angle, it was evil. You wouldn’t have liked us then, we weren’t any better than most of the other brutes. Arecrethy, my brother, I saw the toll it took on him, he had nightmares constantly and I caught him crying a few times. So I promised him we would escape.”

“You failed, didn’t you?”

“What? No!” Tiny laughs. “It was almost too easy to get out. If we had known it would have been so simple, we would have done it years before. It took us so long to even try because we were terrified of being caught. Once we finally did it, we just packed a few things and bolted away one evening as the others went for the feeding pens.”

“No one went looking for you?” A small sitting room on the first floor makes a fine place to sit and chat. One wall is dedicated to a large painting, if you can call it that, consisting entirely of hundreds of what appear to be splatters of color. The spray of color almost hurts Red’s eyes to look at. Probably one of Eclipse’s mother’s works.

“In the chaos of the lower levels in a hive, no one cares when one or two lowly drones disappear or end up dead. So we ran and found ourselves in Equestria. We had to do some things we weren’t proud of to survive, if I told you a month ago you would probably have burned me right to ash. We conned and lied and stole until we managed to fake our way into what looked like a legitimate organization.”

“Doing what?”

“A little bit of anything, really. I guess you could call us mercenaries. But we discovered we had morals, the Pony way of life was rubbing off on us, and after a while, we stopped getting… hungry.”

“What do you mean you don’t get hungry? I’ve seen you eat before.”

“Not what I meant.” Tiny laughs again. “I mean, as drones, we always felt this… need to drink the emotions of other creatures. I don’t know how else to describe it.”

“I guess it doesn’t matter. Please, go on.”

“There’s not much else to say actually. One day I came home and found my brother dead. A Pony standing over his body with a dagger.” Tiny frowns and looks up at the ceiling. “I couldn’t see him clearly, only the scar on his neck and the mark on his side. A knife dripping blood. He saw me, looked right at me, and then darted out the window. I tried to follow, but he was gone. I swore I would track him down. I buried my brother in an unmarked grave outside the town, sold what we had, and left.” He sighs. “That was six years ago. I still haven’t found that Pony.” Silence lingers for a while.

“Why are you telling me this?”

“Because… I don’t know. Because you’re my friend, and hey, it got you to calm down.” Red blinks and looks down at her hooves, her earlier fury has faded.

“Was that all just to distract me from what he said?”

“Not a bit. But it helped take your mind off it. I’ll take my wins where I can find them.”

“That’s good.” They both startle as Eclipse enters the room. “Because my father doesn’t like to lose.” In their experience Eclipse isn’t the happiest of individuals, but now he looks downright crestfallen. His usual stance is one of confidence and surety, his head held high and proud. Now it nearly hangs, and his eyes are downcast. “I wanted to apologize for his behavior. It was unacceptable to say those things in decent company.”

“I guess it’s nice to know we’re decent.” Tiny stands and puts a reinforcing hoof on Eclipse’s shoulder. “Don’t worry about it. I know you think better of us than that.”

“Still, it would have been nice if you stood up for us.” Red is a bit less forgiving, and Eclipse flinches. “You didn’t even try to defend us.”

“I’m sorry.” This was no noble bow or platitude, but an honest heartfelt apology. With just that, all Eclipse’s nobility and form, so practiced for years, finally breaks down. “I didn’t know what to do.” Red had thought him the more mature of her companions, save for perhaps Rampart, but it’s clear now as he stands there just how young he really is. “I’ve seen him take ponies apart like that before, but never anyone I cared about.” For the first time, he appears to Red and Tiny as just a young stallion, struggling to find a place between his friends and his family without alienating either. What little grace he has left he uses to stay standing, but it’s clear his legs are shaking. Facing the Naga or Celestia was easier for him.

“It’s alright Eclipse. You don’t need to apologize for his behavior. It’s not your fault he’s an ass.” Red puts an arm around him and draws him close. “We’ll be alright.” Something loud and heavy slams through the front door and Red releases him.

“What ponies doing now?” Ormr bursts into the room, the tree branch he was smashing now rendered into splinters in his thick fur. Whatever sense of calm there had been flees for cover immediately. “Yak tired, where Ormr room?”

“I thought you wanted to sleep outside?” Faced with a far simpler threat than his father, some of Eclipse’s capability returns.

“Why pony think this? Yak not want soft Pony bed, said nothing about room.”

“Oh, I… uh. I misunderstood.” Only now does Tiny laugh at him.

“Don’t worry about Ormr, I’ll figure out what to do here.” Now Tiny leads the yak to the upper floor, leaving Red and Eclipse alone.

“At least you can all get some rest. You don’t have to face my father again tonight.” With the yak out of the room, Eclipses posture sinks again. Red pokes him hard in the side, causing him to startle.

“Eclipse Corona, listen to me.” He blinks, somewhat confused at her tone. “You have received the gift from the Tree of Worlds. You are an agent of the Princess of the Sun. You have faced griffons, Nagas, demonic hell horses, and stared death in the face, unblinking.” Red raises his head so he has to look her in the eye. “You’ve faced worse than one grumpy pony. Now harden that resolve, and stand tall.” He takes a deep breath, and she can see his former strength return.

“Thank you.” He bows towards her, respectfully. “I’ll see you in the morning.” Then he turns away but doesn’t get out of the room before she speaks again.

“Then go.” She waves her hooves dramatically and lowers her tone to sound more ominous. “And face your destiny!” Eclipse almost collapses into laughter, and she grins at him.


The evening moon rests low on the horizon as it begins its rise. The pale glow illuminates the roofs of the city below as the candles within the windows are snuffed out one by one. Dusk Light is standing at the bottom half of the great circular window when Eclipse enters his father’s study on the fourth floor. Dusk doesn’t even turn around to confirm his son’s entry, recognizing him by the sound of his hoofsteps alone. For several long moments, Dusk simply stands there, back to his son, as the grandfather clock against the wall ticks.

“Five silver and seven copper bits per roll, above the national average.”

“I don’t understand.”

“The current price of cotton imports into Cloudsdale. What did the Duchess of Baltimare lose when thieves broke into her estate?”

“I don’t know.”

“Two golden armlets, a silk dress, and a magical amulet worth more than this entire manor.” Eclipse wracks his brain trying to understand why his father is bringing these up.

“Why does it matter? We have nothing to do with them.”

“If the prices of cloth are raising in Clousdale, what else could that mean? Trade is slowing. As prices of general goods rise, the average Pony will have less to spend on luxuries, such as glass and clockworks.” Dusk paces beside the window. “Meanwhile, as news of the theft spreads, Ponies in Baltimare will begin to exchange old window shutters for more modern glass ones, better security.” Dusk stops pacing and eyes his son critically. “What would you have us do?”

“Order the glassworks to shift exports away from Cloudsdale, and focus more on Baltimare or other terrestrial cities.”

“Correct. I gave that order before you had even left for Trotton.” He points to a letter on his desk, against the wall to the right of the window. “I received this message this morning. Only two days after I gave the order our profits from Cloudsdale began to plummet, and the sale of new windows from Fillydelphia and Baltimare began to rise sharply. If I had waited for you to return, we would have lost our chance to gain a small fortune. Always be aware of what the other nobles are saying.”

“I remember now overhearing some of the conversations there regarding those matters.”

“What about the crop failures in Vanhoover?” Eclipse blinks, he hadn’t heard any of this. “Border skirmishes between Fillydelphia and Manehatten? A fire broke out in the forests outside Las Pegasus, what do you think about that?”

“I…” Eclipse stammers, struggling to find a connection to their businesses and these events.

“All these events can offer us a chance to improve our standing with the other families or to gain a profit or manage a loss. But you didn’t even know about them, did you?” Eclipse says nothing. “Did you?”

“No, father.”

“This is what my agents were able to overhear as the nobles conversed, during the Summer Sun Celebration.” Eclipse stiffens his back and takes a deep breath. “The one thing I sent you to do, and you missed it.” Although he maintains his composure, the words hit him like a blow to the gut.

“I can explain.”

“Your excuses do not entertain me. It’s well known you were there the night before. It’s equally well known you were not the next morning. Instead, you were found in the forest, having missed the entire celebration, and sleeping with a common mare.”

“It’s not like that.” Eclipse makes to explain, but his father will have none of it.

“Don’t interrupt me.” It’s almost a slap across the face. “Dragged in front of Celestia alongside a known criminal under heavy guard.”

“It was an escort, we weren’t captive.”

“I know that. Imagine how it appears to the other families, devoid of context. I know full well of Celestia’s request towards you. You did not consider the ramifications of your actions.”

“Lives were at stake, I had to act.”

“How fortunate for you that there were. Those lowborn Pegasus could very well have had the flu for all you knew. Now imagine what it would have looked like if there hadn’t been a Naga involved? Traipsing around like a child in the mud, pretending a stick is a sword, playing the hero.” Never once in all this has his father risen his voice. “How disappointing.”

“You said…” Eclipse hesitates and swallows the stone rising in his throat. Dusk allows him to continue. “You found the outcome acceptable.”

“The outcome, not the performance. True, you returned triumphant. It is for that reason alone I do not throw you out of this house.” Eclipse freezes, he knew his father wouldn’t approve of many of his decisions, but something like that… he hadn’t even considered it as a possible response. “Your behavior at the Summer Sun celebration was humiliating, utterly unacceptable. To jump onto a stage and play fight with a con-artist, and then lose so publicly?” Dusk trembles visibly with anger. “I know you’re better than that.”

“Tiny is a formidable swordspony, I could never have beaten him in a straight fight. I still did better than any other competitor.”

“Being better than common untrained rabble means nothing.” Dusk advances two steps so that he stands nearly nose to nose with Eclipse, causing the younger unicorn to retreat. “You should have handed that fop his ass, even considering your lack of skill with a blade. Proving you have the upper hand and then losing anyway, intentionally? Disgraceful!” When Dusk raises his head slightly and glares at his son he utterly dominates the space, despite Eclipse being slightly taller than his father.

“How could you-?” But then Dusk narrows his eyes and Eclipse knows that his father had only guessed that part.

“Even worse, you squander your chance to make connections with noble families to rush off to the woods to meet with some harlot.” Eclipse almost snaps back, Red deserves better than this, but holds his tongue. “If you are going to have indiscretions, you should at least have the wherewithal to be discreet about it.” For some reason, Dusk seems to think this is funny, although neither of them laughs.

“That isn’t what happened.”

“Be silent.” Dusk stamps a hoof, little bright lines of energy dance away from the impact. Eclipse snaps his mouth shut. It is rare that his father bothers to use magic beyond basic telekinesis and rarer still that he loses control over it. “I had such high hopes for you.” Eclipse opens his mouth to respond, but he has no words. Dusk doesn’t even speak again, simply turning away and facing out the window again towards the darkened city below. The conversation is quite obviously over.

Eclipse struggles to find something to say, and his father refuses to face him. After another long moment full of silence, aside from the clock, Eclipse, at last, turns away. The hall outside his father’s study is devoid of either his siblings or his mother, who by now must be sleeping. He considers turning in for the night, but instead, he slips through the halls, trying to think past the haze in his mind.

When he was a foal he spent many hours exploring the estate, and one day he stumbled on a hidden door behind an old clock on the third floor. It led through a tiny corridor to a section of the mountainside which overlooked the city. Presumably, it was meant to be a secret escape route should the manor ever be attacked.

It is through this hidden passage that Eclipse goes now, until he finds himself there in the night, watching the sleeping city. He stops beside a tall pine tree to sit and think, looking down at his shaking hooves. The wind blows through his mane and caresses his feathers gently, most ponies might shiver in the chill but on this night Eclipse doesn’t even notice.

Eclipse blinks and looks back at his side, trying to make sense of what he just experienced. For just an instant, he felt the wind on wings he does not have.


The pawn in white advances across the field, and strikes down the black knight. Eclipse cringes as his valiant soldier falls and is removed from action.

“Your move.” Rose Given smirks. Now the unicorn sighs as he moves his own pawn in to remove Rose’s. “A pawn for a knight, not a good a good trade.” A few days after they returned from the north, Eclipse met Rose in a relaxing public park, and finally got his chess match with her.

“It was that or let your queen take my other rook.” Eclipse surveys the board one more time as Rose moves another pawn. Their game has not gone his way. “Aside from beating nobles at chess, what are your interests? Surely there is more to you than duty.”

“Take my bishop, and I’ll tell you.” She slides the aforementioned piece to a powerful, but vulnerable location, where it threatens and is itself threatened. Eclipse almost leaps at the chance, but then looks again at the board. He could take the bishop with either his other knight or a bishop of his own, but both would leave an opening for her to move to an even more advantageous position with another piece.

“So tempting. I think I’ll have to ask again some other time.” Instead, he slips his queen to a location formerly threatened by said bishop, causing Rose’s eyes to narrow.

“Not as willing to take risks as I expected. Interesting.” They each take several turns moving pieces about the board. She is swift and sure with her moves, obviously used to thinking several turns ahead and already planning for them. This leaves Eclipse always on the defensive, trying to maintain his few powerful pieces without expending them needlessly. It isn’t long before it’s quite clear which of them has the clear advantage. All of Rose’s remaining power pieces are in dominant positions, making it difficult to move without losing something important. She keeps up the pressure by relentlessly advancing pawns across the board.

“This does not bode well for me.” Yet again Eclipse takes stock of the situation.

“I do believe you’ve lost.” Rose taps the table.

“It sure looks hopeless. But perhaps…” The unicorn moves his queen, taking what seems to be an innocuous pawn. “Hope can be found even in the fog of despair.” For the first time, Rose has to pause and examine the board. “Check. I’m surprised you didn’t see that.” Rose shifts her king out of the way, revealing her queen behind it, which he promptly removes. What follows is a veritable slaughter as they rapidly trade pieces, placing either king in check with nearly every move. When all is done, both sides are nearly crippled. Nearly.

“Checkmate.” Rose smiles again as Eclipse futilely searches for a way out. One hoof reaches out and tips the black king over.

“Well, that was fun.”

“You’re not bad. A little too defensive to really be competitive against the better players.”

“Such as yourself?”

“Perhaps.” She smiles, barely, just a little upturn of the corners of her mouth. “When it comes to chess, I’ve played against several better than I. They’ve all, to a one, told me I take too long to set up before going on the offensive.”

“There’s nothing wrong with moving from a position of strength.”

“True, but in chess things move too quickly for that to be really viable.” She frowns at the board. “Having to take turns means I can’t actually get my pieces where I want them before my plans can be interrupted. In real life everypony can move at once, supporting and covering each other to prevent openings. Moving one at a time means it’s harder for everypony to cover the others. It leaves the one moving out in front vulnerable.”

“I think I understand the basics. I suspect Ormr is going to be difficult to work with.”

“Why do you say that?” Rose’s ears twitch curiously.

“He isn’t the type to work alongside others, or even to listen to reason. When we were investigating the Naga’s lair he was outright assaulting the doors in our way, even the unlocked ones!” Rose has to stifle a laugh. “Tiny isn’t much better. When we found the lair and the creatures guarding the entry he goaded Ormr on, and they charged out without any plan of attack.” Eclipse looks up, a thoughtful hoof on his chin. “Come to think of it, I don’t think Red is used to working with others either.”

“The wanderer? I should think not.”

“We’ll learn. As long as we don’t have too many new hangers-ons to our group, we should be fine.” Eclipse blinks, only now noticing that Rose knows Red’s background. “How do you know so much about Red Haze already?”

“I knew nothing of her until we found you at the Tree of Worlds. When Celestia took you three as new agents I asked around, it wasn’t hard to find records of a young sorceress causing trouble, there’s more than a few inns that needed repairs after she lost her temper.”

“I’ve seen her fury up close, it can blaze out of control.”

“If you can, keep her on a short leash.” Eclipse frowns at Rose’s phrase. “That kind of outburst can get you into trouble.”

“If you would, please avoid using such vocabulary about my friends.”

“Did I say something wrong?”

“Not normally, it’s just a common saying, I know. In recent days she has been called a dog, worse really, and I don’t think that’s fair.”

“No said life was fair.”

“I know.” Eclipse nods, disappointed. “It should be.” Rose blinks, surprised.

“You said something like that the night before the Summer Sun Celebration.” Her hair slides off her shoulder as she tilts her head just a bit. “What exactly do you mean?”

“Ah, this conversation.” Eclipse nods again. “Let me ask a question first. Who were you before you joined the guard?”

“Why does it matter?”

“Please, answer the question.”

“My father was a soldier, my mother a seamstress. I worked as an assistant to a local baker until I decided I’d had enough of serving bread, and joined the guard.”

“You had to climb from those modest beginnings to be the captain. You had to fight and struggle, against other soldiers and against the expectations of those above and around you. Who were they?”

“Sons and daughters of the nobility, highborn generals, and the wealthy landowners.” She obliges the information, still confused as to the line of questioning.

“Exactly. How many of them were really worthy of those posts? A rhetorical question. A few, maybe, but certainly not all. Those born to the nobility are granted all the rights and opportunity they wish. We get better schooling, we have the pick and choice of what we do. Those born to much more common have to pick from the few options available to them.”

“I know all this already. It’s the way of the world.”

“But it shouldn’t be. Take my brother, for example, content to take the reins of the family once he inherits it from our father, he has no ambition to do anything beyond that and is something of a slob. This, despite the fact that he can sing quite well. He would do fine if he chose to use that ability to its full potential. My older sister would be the better choice to be the next head of our family, she is intelligent and capable. How many others have you met who hold stations above their ability, simply because they were born with more?”

“Quite a few.”

“Exactly. How many of the so-called common class would be suited to hold positions of importance? How many capable and driven individuals are there who will never be allowed to rise higher than their birth except through exceptional means?” Rose contemplates this. “Equestria would be better served, a stronger and greater nation, if we gave every pony a real chance to prove themselves. All those lower class citizens could be so much better if they just had the opportunity to shine.”

“What do you propose then?”

“Institutions who employ based not on connections and wealth, but on merit and ability. A government that listens to the voices of its people, not just those who can afford to reach its ear. Public schooling, available to every citizen free of charge.”

“The nobility would never stand for such competition.”

“In such a society being considered nobility would be because that individual had earned it, not because they were born there. All the wealth and power attained would be something they had won fairly, by proving they were worthy of that kind of station.”

“What an altruistic notion for a noble to express. Wouldn’t this mean that you would lose all you possess, yourself?”

“Perhaps I am worthy of what I have attained? Among my companions who have been empowered by the Tree of Worlds, there is a lowborn Earth pony and a wandering Unicorn of no notable station. The will of the Tree did not care where we were born or who our parents are, but our strength of character and willingness to do the right thing is what it saw. We earned our gifts.”

“You are an interesting stallion.” Rose eyes him carefully. “What does your father think of this?”

“My father…” Eclipse cringes. “He is… unaware of my thoughts on this matter.”

“You suspect he would not agree?”

“I suspect most nobles would not agree.” Eclipse hesitates to continue, and Rose catches him looking away. “But yes, my father would most certainly not approve.”

“I sense tensions.”

“It’s a long story.” He taps the table several times as he thinks. “One I do not wish to go into today.”

“I can see it is a sensitive matter for you.” Rose nods, hearing the discomfort in his voice. “Should you change your mind, I’ll be around.”

“Even though you are the guard’s captain?”

“I am more than my duty.” She smiles softly, echoing what Eclipse said earlier. “You are one of the few I have chosen to spend my limited free time with.”

“Ha, that’s a very aristocratic turn of phrase.” Eclipse begins to clean the board of pieces, carefully placing them in the polished box he brought.

“Some of the nobility’s terms have worn off on me, I guess.” Movement at the edge of the park draws their attention. A few ponies are pointing down the road, the object of their attention obscured from where they were playing the game. “What’s going on there?” Rose’s question is answered a moment later when Ormr storms into the park, scattering the curious ponies. Eclipse sighs and rubs at his temples, a headache preempting the expected conversation.

“Where blue pony?!” shouts the Yak, his voice booming.

“Ormr, I’m over here.” Eclipse flashes a bright light in the air using a simple spell, and the Yak bounds over. “You don’t need to yell.”

“Good, Rose pony here too.” Ormr glares down at the captain of the guard, finding her un-intimidating out of armor.

“Welcome, Yak. What do you need us for?”

“Messenger from Sun pony. Calls for Empowered to speak with her.”

“Oh?” Rose blinks and tips her head to the side. “I wasn’t aware she needed to see you.”

“Very interesting. Are the others alerted?”

“Ormr not found Red or Tiny yet.”

“I’ll head back to the Princess and meet you there. I’ll see you again, Eclipse.”

“I look forward to it.” Eclipse gives her a shallow bow of his head. Rose heads away at a trot. “Ormr, you keep looking for the others and I’ll meet you all outside the palace.” Ormr nods once and then turns away, leaving at a dead run. More ponies dart out of his way to avoid being hit by him or his horns, and Eclipse sighs again.


“I’m sorry, say that again.” Tiny makes a show of pretending to clean out an ear. “You want us to what?!”

“Investigate the Geode family estate.” Celestia giggles slightly at Tiny’s joke. Tiny, Eclipse, Red, Ormr, Rampart, Rose, and Celestia are standing in a fairly private part of the gardens, hidden from public view by high hedges and willow trees. “All jokes aside, this is quite serious.”

“Please forgive me, Princess,” Red steps forward, “but I don’t understand.”

“I have given this much thought over the last week. The apparent return of the Cult of the Red Blade and the state of Shine Shire may be connected.”

“I think I see the connection,” Eclipse speaks. “The Geode family, to whom you gave Shine Shire’s oversight, has been pulling resources away from the town, making it more vulnerable to the Naga’s attack. When we found the symbol of the Cult, and the message from the Dreadcaster, you were suspicious that the Geode family has joined the cult.”

“That would be an accurate representation of my concern, yes. The last time the cult arose it nearly brought civil war to Equestria, I wish to prevent this from happening again.”

“Do you really think the Geodes are part of or even leading the cult?”

“It is a possibility. It is my deep hope I am wrong. This is why I need you to go to Manehatten, investigate the Geodes, and determine what the truth is.”

“How can we do this?” Rampart considers the problem aloud. “We can’t simply demand entry to rummage through the secrets of a noble family and expect to be allowed in.”

“I can arrange a meeting with a member of the Geodes fairly easily, but my own family lacks the standing to make demands like that.” Eclipse shakes his head. “I’ll be no part of any attempt to break into their estate either. I’m on thin enough ice as it is.”

“We’re all too well known by this point to even try it.” Tiny points it out. “Even if only as Celestia’s agents. If we start to ask questions openly, especially on their home turf, they'll be all over us like flyders.”

“I anticipated this.” Celestia nods. “I think I have a solution for you. Rose, if you would, please bring out our intruder.”

“Princess?”

“The Hippogriff, please.” Rose hesitates a moment longer, glancing from Celestia to the others gathered around her with a frown. At last, she nods and heads away.

“A what?” Red blinks.

“Hippogriffs are a distant cousin to Griffons. Their kingdom lies atop a mountain far to the south.” Eclipse helpfully explains. “What’s one doing so far from home?”

“What’s a Yak doing this far south?” Tiny jerks an elbow towards Ormr, who snorts. “These are turning out to be interesting times.”

“To answer your question, my young noble friend, this Hippogriff was caught trying to break out of the vault.”

“Did you just say break out?” Red blinks again.

“I am quite impressed with his abilities. Few are the thieves who can get into the vault.”

“Why exactly are you sending a thief with us?” Red narrows her eyes, already suspicious of the new addition to the group.

“As you have said and noticed, you are all too well known, or in visible positions, to be found sneaking around noble family estates. So for any… let’s call them less than legal activities you intend to use in your investigation you will require outside assistance.”

“A foreigner, and known thief, would be an ideal scapegoat if captured.” Eclipse nods.

“That was not my intent, but you are correct.” Celestia looks up from the table towards where Rose is returning, leading a tall figure flanked by two more guards. “Ah, and here he is now.” The newcomer stands straight-backed, a faint smile on his face, as if proud to be where he is. Superficially he resembles a Pegasus, wings and all, although his tail is more like a lion’s than a pony’s, and his forelimbs end in grasping claws rather than hooves, his mouth is rather beak-like. He’s almost as tall as Celestia, his rear half is mostly fur and his front covered by feathers, all light blue.

“Kerrek Shieldglare, nobile among high of the Harmonizing Heights, pleased to make your acquaintance.” The Hippogriff bows to Celestia. His voice is warm and thick, with an accent and pronunciation more than a little foreign. Between his cultured voice and posture, there is no mistaking that he is either of high birth or very good at pretending he is. “How may I serve the royal, and pleasing, visage of the Principessa of the Sun?”

“Flattery will get you nowhere, thief.” Red snaps at him.

“No need to defend me quite so vigorously, my friend.” Celestia smiles softly anyway before turning her full attention to the captured Hippogriff. “Shieldglare, you were captured in my vault, attempting to make away with Equestrian treasures.”

“Alas, this besmirching of my reputation is true. How ever can I make it up to you?” The Hippogriff attempts to slide closer to Celestia, but Rose snaps an arm in his way to stop him. Somehow, he doesn’t come across as particularly sincere.

“Although your crime is severe, your abilities have impressed me, and I require your services.”

“Speak it so, and I will make it be.” Now he bows elegantly.

“Here I thought I was the flirter.” Tiny smirks. “Pro tip, buddy. Don’t be quite so obvious you’re trying to talk your way out of a tough spot.” The Hippogriff frowns at Tiny, glaring down his beak at the disguised Changeling. “You’ve got to be sneakier than that, especially with her.” He gestures at Celestia. “She’ll see right through it.”

“Tiny, shush.” Red admonishes him, his response is a wink.

“My agent is correct, you cannot simply charm your way out of this.” Celestia nods, her face stoic and serious.

“Very well then.” Kerrek stands back at full height, proud bordering on arrogance. “Nevertheless, I remain at your mercy.”

“You will assist my agents on their mission. Depending on your compliance with their instruction, and your own behavior, I may be willing to forgive your transgressions.” Kerrek Shieldglare looks over the gathered ponies and the Yak, judging them. “Or, if you prefer, I can have you imprisoned.” This threat makes up the Hippogriff’s mind.

“That will not be necessary. I accept your generosa offerta. My substantial skills are at your disposal.” He bows again, this time much more sincerely. “You will find I keep my word.”

“Why do I doubt that?” Tiny smirks again.

“You question my honor?” scoffs the Hippogriff.

“You were caught with your hoof in the proverbial cookie jar.” Eclipse quips back. “You are going to have to earn our trust before we give it to you.” Kerrek looks at his new employers once again, and then he nods deeply.

“Good, now that everyone is familiar with each other…” Rose sweeps her critical gaze across them all. “You can get to work.”


“Yak does not know the way. Far to Mainhatten?” Ormr shifts the pack on his back as they ready themselves in the Astral estate courtyard.

“Manehatten.” corrects Red. “From Canterlot we head east, down the mountain and across the plains. It should be three or four days, depending on pace and route.” The heavy clouds above draw her attention. “Five if the weather turns sour.”

“Six if we get waylaid by something ugly.” Rampart is checking his supplies again before they set out.

“Pessimism from the guard royal? I was made to understand you were better than that.” Rampart rolls his eyes at the foreigner. Kerrek carries with him a long thin blade and a bow, a weapon rarely seen in pony lands, lacking hands makes it difficult to draw the string back. Most ponies who find themselves needing a projectile weapon tend to stick to mechanical crossbows.

“Is everypony ready?” Tiny straps his saddlebags in place. “We should get going before-”

“Eclipse!” his voice booms as Dusk Light slams open the front door of the main house.

“That.” Tiny finishes with a grimace.

“What is the meaning of this?!” his voice drops away from a shout, but his tone makes his displeasure clear.

“Father, I can explain-” Eclipse quickly glances at his friends, concern writ plain on his face, before intercepting his father.

“Be quick about it.” Eclipse starts to tell his father about Celestia’s new mission, trying to keep his voice steady. Kerrek, curious, starts to sidle closer to hear it better, but Red pulls him back.

“That’s none of your business.”

“Why does the young nobile fear the elder so? I had believed him to be the leader among you.”

“In some ways he is. But even he has to answer to his father.”

“Absolutely not!” Dusk shouts once more, and Eclipse flinches visibly. “I’ll have no son of mine breaking into another family’s manor!” Everycreature else falls silent, it’s impossible to ignore the conversation between them now.

“I swear to you, I will do no such thing.”

“You most certainly will not. I refuse to allow such nonsense. You will stay right here where I can keep an eye on you.” Eclipse sucks in a pained breath. Kerrek clicks his tongue disapprovingly and breaks away from Red, flying out of her reach to land beside Eclipse.

“As I understand it, you have no such power. The Principessa of the Sun is the one who rules here, is she not?”

“Who in Tartarus are you?” Dusk scoffs, having to look up to meet the Hippogriff’s eyes. Neither one backs down an inch.

“Kerrek Shieldglare, nobile among high of the Harmonizing Heights.” Despite his polite introduction the Hippogriff does not bow or even dip his head. “Principessa Celestia requires the young stallion for a sensitive mission. Do you claim to outrank the Monarch?” Dusk narrows his eyes, trying to read the newcomer’s face. Kerrek remains unperturbed and returns the glare with an equal will. Eclipse’s eyes dart from the Hippogriff to his father, surprised to see anyone render Dusk at a loss of words.

“Father, I promise, I’ll do nothing to embarrass the family.” Eclipse tries to break the stillness.

“The same way you did at the Summer Sun Celebration?” The younger unicorn drops his eyes. “No. You will remain here.”

“Young nobile.” Kerrek addresses Eclipse alone now, flat out ignoring Dusk Light. “The Princepessa has given you your task. Your padre demands you do nothing. I do not know how it is done here, but on Mount Aris, we grasp opportunity when it knocks so openly. The decision is your own.” Then Kerrek bows slightly and backs away, leaving Eclipse to face his father alone.

“Eclipse, you will drop those bags and join me in my study.” Dusk turns, expecting his son to follow. Eclipse remains where he is, eyes to the ground, and speaks softly.

“I’m going.”

“What did you say?” Dusk’s voice drips venom and disbelief.

“I’m going.” With more strength this time, Eclipse raises his head to match his father eye to eye. “When my task is done, I’m coming back.” Dusk snarls at his disobedient child.

“You insolent little-!”

“Father, enough!” A shockwave bursts through the air, knocking leaves and small stones away, causing every creature present to shield their eyes as the Tree of World’s gift to Eclipse is at last revealed. “All my life I’ve been in your shadow!” Dusk and all the others can only stare in disbelief at Eclipse as he stands tall, glowing wings spread wide. “Belittled, doubted, rarely given a fair chance to prove myself!” The blue unicorn advances a step towards his father. “Even my victories and achievements are never enough for you!” He points one hoof at his father, who backs slowly away. “My friends, Celestia, the Tree of Worlds, they can all see my worth!” Eclipse stops just in front of his father, the older unicorn’s eyes glued on his son’s wings, and drops his voice to a near whisper. “Why can’t you?”

“Yak confused. Horn pony is also wing pony?”

“By the light of the sun!” Red is nearly breathless. Tiny lets out a long whistle, impressed at Eclipse standing up to his father.

“I’m doing this, father. You’ll see, I will not let the family down.” Slowly, folding his wings as he does so, he turns away and heads off, holding his head high. Dusk stares blankly after his son, unable to find words or will to chase after him. “Let’s get moving, we have a long way to go.” He doesn’t look back as he leaves the estate behind, his companions share a long glance among themselves and go after him a moment later. Red looks back before she closes the gate behind her, Dusk is still standing there, watching them. He seems so much smaller than he had before.

“I am impressed, young nobile.” Kerrek walks up beside Eclipse. “I was not aware Unicorns could perform such a trick.”

“Is he watching?” Eclipse continues to march down the road, holding himself stiffly, not looking back.

“No, he’s not following.” Rampart glances back, the road behind them is empty. Dusk isn’t visible, probably still standing out in front of the estate.

“Good.” Eclipse gasps and nearly collapses, his wings dissolve into thin air. Red and Tiny rush to his side to keep him standing.

“Wait, what just happened? Were those were an illusion?”

“No, they were real.”

“When did you become an Alicorn?!” Rampart steps up beside them, their pace slows as they draw close to Canterlot’s edge. “That’s incredibly rare.”

“I think I’ve been this way since the Tree of Worlds.” Eclipse blinks and joins his gaze to Red’s. “Just as your draconic soul was empowered and began to manifest as a physical change, so too was mine. Or maybe it is something in my bloodline I am not aware of that it awakened.”

“It doesn’t matter where it came from. That’ll shut him up for good.” Tiny jerks his head towards the estate, uphill from them. “But why aren’t they permanent?”

“I don’t think I’m strong enough to manifest them completely. I can only hold them in reality for a few seconds at a time.”

“Not long enough to fly with.” Kerrek shakes his head.

“True, I can’t do much with them. Not yet.” Eclipse looks up at the clouds as they begin the descent down the mountain road. “But I will.”


Several days later, late in the morning, on the road to Manehatten as it passes through a sparse forest. The weather is fine, the breeze quiet and the leaves rustle gently. The journey has been easy, no threats to waylay or delay them. They have passed many travelers on the way, and all have been friendly. Naturally, Ormr drew much of the attention, and Kerrek most of the rest. Few paid any mind to Eclipse, Red, or Tiny.

Personally, Eclipse is pleased he is not the center of attention, it gave him time to think. He’s been quiet the entire trip, keeping his thoughts close. His father will be furious with him when he gets back. Hopefully, he’ll bring back good news to calm the patriarch’s mood. Barring that, maybe his new wings will convince the older Unicorn to give him a bit more respect.

“Too much walking, Ormr bored.” The yak glances around, possibly hoping for something to smash.

“The Yak speaks the truth. This march is endless.” Kerrek stifles a yawn.

“Better a boring walk than an exciting one. I’d prefer to get there, and then back, in one piece.” Rampart scans the horizon ahead, noting a small figure hanging in the air ahead of them.

“The guard has no stomach for fighting?”

“I’ll fight when it comes to it. I’ve had to bury more friends than I would have liked.”

“Oh, and how many is that?”

“One, and that was one too many.”

“I agree with Rampart.” Tiny nods. “It’s never a good thing to have to bury those you care for, especially ones whose lives were cut short by violence.” Red steps up beside him and lightly bumps into him to let him know she is there, knowing who he refers to.

“There is something about that Pegasus up there that bothers me.” Rampart gestures in the direction of the figure ahead of them. It hasn’t moved since they saw it. Kerrek pauses for a moment, shading his eyes against the bright glare of the clear sky.

“I believe he is armed, I see an arbalest.”

“A what?”

“Hmm… The word is… crossbow, yes?”

“You can see that from here?”

“Hippogriff eyes are superiore to pony’s.”

“Is he wearing armor or an identifying mark of some kind?”

“Armor, yes, and I do not see the insignia.”

“None of the other travelers have said anything about bandits, but we should be cautious nonetheless.” Rampart moves to march alongside Ormr at the head of the line, if anything happens they will be the first to face it. For several more minutes of walking they watch the hovering Pegasus, but before they can get within earshot the watcher points down at them and then disappears into the treetops. “Keep an eye open, I don’t like this.”

“Yak sees more ponies in the trees.” Ormr swings his head from side to side. “Eight, maybe more.” He snorts, dismissive, and then calls out. “Hail, little ponies!” That’s when the first volley of crossbows bolts hits. True to expectations, the first bolts fall upon Rampart and Ormr. The guardspony blocks several with his shield, the Yak relies on his bulk and his enchanted cloak to protect him.

“Ambush! Stay beside me!” Rampart howls the order as another bolt clacks off his shield. Red and Tiny do as instructed, staying close and just behind the heavily armored Earth pony. Eclipse forms protective shields around Tiny and Kerrek, just before the lightly armored Hippogriff dashes into the canopy. Ormr, enraged by the assault, simply howls and charges into the largest group of attackers on the right side of the road.

“Yak stronger! Yak will win against all!” His boasting and shouting certainly draws attention to him. The four ambushers on that side of the road, all armored with thick leather, drop their crossbows and draw maces as they close on him. Three more crossbow bolts thunk into the ground from above, the Pegasus they saw earlier and two more firing from above, concealed by the trees.

“Stupid Yak! We’ve got more on the left!” Red spins as fire builds around her and finds her chance, three more assailants, close together, charging from the other tree line. A pinprick of light streaks towards them and erupts into a fireball. One of the more lightly armored Earth ponies screams and falls, smoldering. The other one wearing leather rolls aside, burned but alive. The third, armored in steel chain, continues through the burst of flame with a longsword at the ready. Rampart intercepts, keeping his thick armor and heavy shield between the attacker and either Red or Tiny.

Kerrek, hidden in the leaves of a tree, takes a moment to consider the battle. He counts eleven attackers, three of which are Pegasus, the rest are Earth ponies, one of which is now dead. All were initially armed with crossbows for the ambush, but some have ditched the projectiles to close with melee weapons. Rampart and Tiny are handling the two Earth ponies on the left, while Ormr draws the attention of the remaining five on the right. The Pegasus above are circling, looking for openings between trading shots with Eclipse and Red. The spellcasters and the fighters are in decent enough shape, but Ormr will be overwhelmed if he doesn’t get help.

“It doesn’t matter how many, Yak still stronger!” Ormr thrashes about, his ancestral spirit guardians distracting the group now surrounding him. Despite their aid, he still takes hits. His thick fur and cloak take the brunt of the mace strikes, but each hit slows him.

One of the leather-armored ambushers shouts as an arrow sticks him in the side. He spins to chase after Kerrek, the source of the shot, and finds the Hippogriff already lancing a rapier through his neck.

“All too easy.” Kerrek slips away from the gurgling corpse and back into the canopy, looking for another opportunity to aid Ormr.

Between arcane blasts at the Pegasus above Eclipse tries to stay more towards the middle of the melee, conjuring his spinning spiritual blade to aid Ormr and keeping his shields up on the others. He can only keep two shields up at a time amid all the fighting and constantly shifts who he is protecting. His wings flicker into view as he draws magical energy to power all his simultaneous spells, but blink out of reality the moment his spellcasting ends.

Red continues to fire up at the flying foes, concentrating on the one armored Pegasus. A lucky hit from her burns away his crossbow, which he drops with a surprised shout. Deprived his ranged weapon, he draws his own longsword and dives towards her.

“Face Yak, not Pony!” Ormr slams his head against one the mace-wielding ponies between him and Red, cracking bone and leaving the smaller creature immobile on the ground, and then charges after the Pegasus.

“Wait, fool! Where are you going?!” Two of the remaining ambushers turn towards Kerrek as the Hippogriff shouts after Ormr, the third chases after the yak. “This shan’t end well.” Kerrek brandishes his rapier towards them and backs away as they advance on him.

Ormr crashes into the diving Pegasus, sending it tumbling to the ground with broken wings. The wounded assailant shouts and looks up just as Ormr’s hooves come down with enough force to shatter a tree limb. The poor Pegasus’s skull is no comparison. The Pony chasing Ormr, slides to a halt, too late, and Eclipse uses his spiritual weapon and arcane blast in a pincer attack which leaves the ambusher quite dead.

Tiny, meanwhile, finally stops playing around and uses his magic sword to cut right through the ambusher’s own weapon. The Earth pony has just enough time to glance down at the hilt in his jaw in horror before Tiny nearly cleaves him in two. With that threat removed the disguised Changeling flanks the armored pony still dueling Rampart, and the two of them make short work of the assailant.

The two still flying Pegasus share a glance, they can see just how bad this is going for them. They each fire one last desperate shot before turning tail and flying as hard as they can for the horizon, dropping their heavy crossbows for more speed.

Kerrek, facing the only two remaining fighters, jabs the one in the lighter armor in the side and then dashes back to the rest of the group before the one with the longsword can counterattack.

As the leather-armored thug falls and squirms on the ground the remaining fighter in heavy chain finally sees how little they have done to the companions. He spins to flee.

“Approach!” The word is a command spell from Eclipse, and the Earth pony shudders in place before turning to perform the commanded action. The lone fighter walks slowly towards the Unicorn with a blank look on his face. Only when he is standing in front of Eclipse does he blink and look around, realizing he is now quite surrounded by formidable opponents. “Surrender.” The word is another command spell.

“Don’t kill me!” The ambusher falls to the ground, covering his neck with his hooves as his dropped longsword drops to the dirt. “I give up!” Eclipse confiscates the Pony’s sword and taking whatever might be a weapon off the captive.

“Yak should smash puny Pony head!”

“Chill, Ormr.” Tiny positions himself between the yak and the now quite terrified pony captive. “We won already.” The Yak heaves heavy breaths, but the crazed glare in his eyes dims, and the spectral ancestor spirits fade away.

“Now, you need to explain.” Rampart stands over the cowering Earth pony. Kerrek leaves the others to interrogate the survivor while he searches the bodies.

“OK, OK! Just don’t kill me!”

“We’re waiting.” Tiny jabs an elbow towards Ormr. “My buddy here isn’t the patient type.”

“We were hired, told to wait along the road here for a group of ponies with a Yak and make sure they never made it to Manehatten!”

“Who hired you?” The captive glances at the companions around him, hesitant.

“Speak!” Red shouts, a ring of flames ignites, surrounding the captured pony.

“I don’t know! Only the boss met them face to face!”

“Exactly who is your leader?” The captured pony glances at the Pegasus Ormr had crushed. They will be getting no information out of him. Red scowls at him and the ring of flames burns brighter.

“So what can you tell us? If it’s helpful I may even convince my angry firebrand here to leave you be only mildly singed.”

“It was a Bat pony! I swear, I never saw them clearly! All I could see was his color, he was dark blue.”

“What about his mark? Did you see that?”

“Not really…” The flames flicker higher for an instant. “Wait, wait! I think it was a face with bat wings! I swear that’s all I know!” The companions share a glance and the captive quakes where he lies. “…What are you going to do to me?”

“Well, what do you guys think?” Tiny sweeps his eyes over his friends. Ormr snorts but says nothing. Rampart glares down at the captive. Red and Eclipse look to each other and nod, the ring of fire fades.

“Get going.” Eclipse points down the road, away from Manehatten. The surviving mercenary blinks in confusion. “I said, go!” He doesn’t need to be told a third time and quickly sprints away before they can change their minds.

“What do we do with the bodies?” Red surveys the carnage, sighing heavily.

“Nothing, fiery Unicorn.” Kerrek stands from where he was looting one of the bodies, a small pouch clinking from the coins within. “They attacked us, I see no reason to give them funeral rites.”

“We should at the very least pull them off the road and bury them.” Rampart pokes one of the bodies with a hoof. “If only to keep the road clear so we don’t terrify travelers.” Ormr, Tiny, and Rampart begin to move the bodies. Red assists by digging the graves. Kerrek shrugs and starts counting the coins taken from the mercenaries. Eclipse hesitates, deep in thought.

“They knew who to look for…”

“What is that, nobile?”

“This wasn’t simply a bandit attack. He said they were paid to ambush us, specifically.” He turns and faces towards Ormr, moving another corpse. “There are few to no Yaks wandering Equestria. The odds they could have hit another group was minimal.” Now his gaze turns towards Manehatten, still somewhere over the horizon. “Something is clearly hunting us.” Everycreature pauses as they consider. “Whatever lies ahead, it is an enemy.”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment