• Published 8th Sep 2020
  • 220 Views, 0 Comments

escape from dragnia - eleboy



Spike and a mysterious pony get sucked in a rift and find themselves in another world. now they must work together to survive

  • ...
 0
 220

chapter 2 - desert track

Spike is laying on the floor of the hideout looking at his staff while his face is covered in sweat, "Why is it so hot?!"

Dragnight puts a wet rag on her face, "Some dragons are probably fighting their flames heat the already hot air causing a massive heatwave. You're lucky you have a better heat resistance. I'm dying here. I hate it when this happens." she kicks a bucket it hits the wall splashing a little water. "Woops." She checks the bucket to find little water. She then runs over to a shelf and starts searching. Oh no."

"Is something wrong?"

"We're out of water, and there's only one place to get some more."

"The market?"

"Sadly no. Dragons don't really carry water with them, they simply fly to a body of water when they're thirsty and the only body of water near here is past town and over a mile walk. Are you used to your new body? because you're going to carry buckets. I would go alone but I might need you if I collapse from this heat plus the more bring back the better."

The two exit their hideout carrying multiple containers of various sizes and shapes, up above are multiple dragons fighting using their fire breath against each other. The small dragons sneak past the fight, Spike has gotten better at sneaking but trying to use his staff to carry the buckets in this form is still awkward having to rely on Dragnight's feedback. "Why does it have to be so hard walking on to legs in this body?"

They walk sneak behind boxes using the sound of the city to hide the sounds of the buckets and bottles rattling with their movement, Spike looks up at the many dragons around all looking like they just want something to kill, "Do we have to do this now, can't we wait until it's dark?"

"No. One, I'm thirsty. Two, I'm boiling. And three there would still be dragons out and your purple scales would not blend as well if they were a darker shade. Your actually less noticeable during the day."

"What about you? Your scales are completely black you be completely invisible in the dark."

"Yeah but I can still blend in the shadows, trust me I know what I'm doing plus I really need to get out of this heat." a breeze cools Dragnight a bit. They come across a sleeping dragon lying across the road blocking their path. Dragnight facepalm's, "This can't be happening."

"What do we do now?"

"Grr, we have to climb over them. Dragons tend to be heavy sleepers just be careful." they start climbing the dragon's face. Dragnight's sweaty claws are making it hard for her. The containers she is carrying are bumping into each other clinking and clanging, a bead of sweat from the sleeping dragon drips onto the dragoness causing her to shiver and ready to vomit.

"Are you ok?"

"I said I wanted to cool off but not like that."

"Well look at the bright side it could be worse." Spike tries to reassure her with a smile.

"Yeah, you could be in my mouth." The once sleeping dragon now has an eye on the little ones.

Dragnight looks to Spike, "Never say that again."

"Uhh hi, Mr. Dragon can you let us through, please?"

He raises his claw and tries to swipe them. Spike and Dragnight start climbing faster reaching the top of its head, they start running down its back neck while it rises, they move faster and faster having to deal with the increasing slope. They reach the body and dodge the jaws of the dragon.

The two start losing their balance as they are lifted in the air Dragnight looks to Spike, "We to jump off before it's too late!" they run to the tail, slipping and sliding down. The dragon starts shaking its tail, it flairs wildly the two small dragons try to hang on, Spike loses his grip then hits into a wall, he gasps. "Spike!" she jumps off the tail and dives towards Spike grabbing him and hitting the ground, breaking some of the containers.

The dragon turns around trying to find the little ones. Dragnight hides behind some barrels holding Spike as he slowly wakes. She sticks her finger in his mouth to quiet him before he can speak. She looks around the corner to find that the dragon got tired of looking and left. "They're gone, can you still walk?"

Spike rubs his head, "Yeah, how about you?" He looks at her body worried, "You're covered in glass shards?"

A small blush appeared on her face, "I suffered worse, they didn't pierce my scales. let's go." she brushes off the glass then continues their trip staying in the shadows when they can, sneaking around dragons, moving around feet, and under tails. They come across an alleyway full of mirrors and other reflective surfaces. "Great, if it wasn't hot enough."

"Do you want me to help you cool off?"

"No just focus on carrying the buckets. And make sure you're not too hurt." they run through the alley Dragnight sweating getting worse. The two face lights blinding them nearly causing them to bump into other dragons.

"How much farther until we get there?"

"After we get past this alley we still need to cross a desert."

"Are you going to be ok? You seem to be struggling now."

Sweat is pouring from the dragoness as she is panting, "I'm fine. We just need to get through this, it's only heat."

spike is worried as he sees her mouth is very dry and not sure how much harm the shattered glass really did. He's not sure much more she can take. He watches her as she steals some replacement bottles and a dragon sees her, picks up a mirror reflecting a beam of light at her, "Dragnight watch out!"

The beam of light draws closer to the dragoness, she quickly climbs the rope towards a wall. The beam hits the rope slowly burning it. Soon the rope snaps she starts swinging, she lets go performing a duck and roll to soften the impact from landing. She passes Spike, "keep him busy I got a plan."

"Hey over here! I bet you can't catch me!" The dragon directs the beam towards spike, he runs away swerving left and right, he jumps into a hey pile. The beam burns the hay causing the pile to catch on fire, Spike rushes out continuing to run from the beam. The dragon gets frustrated by how he hasn't caused the purple dragon harm.

Dragnight looks at the dragon reflecting light, "Good he's so focused on Spike I can work on my plan. Simple but most dragons are meatheads." she grabs a mirror and climbs down. "Hey, big ugly moron! Over here!" the dragon growls and points the beam at her, she takes out the mirror and reflects the beam at him aimed right in the eye. While he screams Dragnight grabs Spike and gets away.

"Thanks for the rescue." The two eventually reach the edge of the city. Spike looks upon the long desert that awaits them, "We have to cross this! Can we do it? You seem thirsty enough your mouth is dry, we nearly got burned, maybe I should go alone."

"No! I'm fine, plus you don't know the way I have to lead you there. Once we get there we can relax and drink some water our return to the base should be easier except for making sure we don't spill any water. I can come back to get more some other day to get more when most dragons are asleep. I should have done so last night but I was exhausted from our adventure." she then points her finger at Spike, "Plus I need to keep my eye on you."

The two small dragons start crossing the dessert, step after step sweat pours covering faces. The blistering sun raining down as a fight of dragons in the sky. The farther they get from the fight, the less the air is heated but the dessert has less shade and the air becomes dryer.

Spike watches as he sees his friend trying to fight the intense heat and dehydration. He knows she's trying to remain strong but not sure how long she can last. He takes a bucket and puts it on her head. "Here you can use this to shield yourself from the sun."

"This is stupid. despite her saying that she keeps it on, "How well can you resist heat? Do you have a limit?"

"I don't know I can still feel hot but It doesn't really hurt me. Dragons of my world can dive in lava and be fine, in fact, I once accidentally did a belly flop in a pool of lava to impress a bunch of teenage dragons." Dragnight winces hearing about the body flop. "It worked but it did hurt."

"Yeah a belly flop in anything will hurt." the two giggle.

"Hey, you laughed your usually so serious."

"Well this place isn't really somewhere you have time to have fun."

"You say that while wearing a bucket on your head."

she gets frustrated at that and takes the other bucket and stuffs Spike's face into it. "Now you-u-u." Suddenly she collapses.

Spike takes the bucket off and sees his friend on the ground. "Dragnight! Dragnight! Oh no, she must have heatstroke. What am I supposed to do?" he picks her up and starts carrying her. "I got to find water. I wished she gave me directions. I just got to find some water and some shade."

Looking up he sees silhouette flying in circles. "I see they have vultures here too, huh. Well, you won't eat us vultures!" the figures dive down there's size grow revealing their large beaks, sharp claws, and their monstrous figure. "Not vultures! Not vultures!" Spike runs as fast as he can with Dragnight on his back, exhausted from the walk, and his feet failing to get traction in the sand.

The giant vulture-like creatures fly closer and one swoop at Spike while he manages to dodges, he ducks his head to avoid the claws of another, the third tries to pierce its prey with its beak but instead, its beak gets stuck in a bucket, it opens it's beak shattering the bucket. Spike continues to run as he avoids the attacks, then suddenly he trips Dragnight fall off his back. Spike, tries to use his fire breath but the creatures are unfazed, he looks the creature in the eyes with only one thought in his mind I'm gonna die.

One opens its mouth ready to eat its prey whole when suddenly it is whacked in the side of the head. Spike finds his staff in his hand. "What the?" the creature opens its maw and tries again, Spike's hand moves on its own blocking the attack. The creature backs away and Spike gets up. The two stares at each other, the creature screeches then gets another smack. Its ally comes over to help. Spike gets on his hind legs and tightly holds the staff. "Alright Spike, you can do this."

The creatures unleash a barrage of attacks, with the staff guiding his hand Spike blocks a slash from their claws, he is suddenly turned around blocking the talons of the other creature. After knocking back the attack he sees the third creature about to grab his friend. "Dragnight!" he performs a quick side slash causing the creature in front of him to jump in the air to avoid the attack in that time Spike dashes below it. The creature starts taking off with its prey, Spike throws the staff like a javelin hitting the air-born creature releasing the dragoness, and Spike catching her.

The three creatures face Spike as he looks back towards them before running off. The creatures take chase, Spike looks back to see he's being chased, he is still exhausted and about to hit his limit, he runs on top of a hill but loses his footing rolling down the other side. The creatures fly over the hill trying to find their prey but they're not in sight. After a few minutes, they leave. Sand from the hill shift away as Spike digs his way out, spitting sand out of his mouth. "Gah that was a close one. Now what?"

The staff drops pointing northeast. "I guess I'll go that way." following the path the staff led him would converse the dessert, suffering from the heat, nearly falling for mirages, eventually he made it to his destination. In a waspy tired voice, "Is that it? Dragnight we made." he lays his friend in the shade taking care of her.

Eventually, her eyes start opening, "Uh, huh? Where am I? What's going on?"

"You're awake! Are you ok? You passed out. I got some water." Spike hands her a bottle of water. "Make sure to rest."

She looks around and sees they're at the oasis. "You got us here, how?"

"Well it wasn't easy after you passed out we were attacked by these huge birds that tried to eat us but I fought them off." he proudly poses.

"You fought off volters? I mean there not the toughest creatures around, still that I found that hard to believe that you fought them off."

"Well I did and look were here aren't we."

"Yeah, I guess your right. Thanks, you saved me. Don't expect me to feel like I owe you anything!"

"I don't? I don't help others to get something in return, except that one time but I learned my lesson from that."

"I got to stop questioning your world's morals and just assumes it's all goody good sugar cubes and lollipops. Anyway once we're rested up I'll go over our return plan. I think we can sneak you at night if we can get something to cover you up but we should leave before it gets too late as hot a desert is it gets just as cold at night."

The next hour is spent relaxing Spike takes a swim while Dragnight lays in the shade keeping hydrated. Once the sun started to set Dragnight starts packing, "Come on, it's time to go!" Spike listens and gets out of the water then grabs the water buckets and bottles and starts walking, "Hey if you have fire resistance does that mean you're more vulnerable to cold weather?"

"No, I don't think so?"

"Oh ok, good. I want to make sure you can handle the cold. We will start feeling it soon, I brought a stick to use as a torch just in case." Dragnight leads the way back to the base, "Most creatures should be going to sleep about now, that doesn't mean we're safe there are still nocturnal creatures. A lot of poisonous insects and other kinds of dangerous creatures, so be careful."

Amidst their way back Spike starts shivering, "The sun hasn't even set yet why is it so cold? Whose setting the sun so slowly anyway?"

Dragnight looks back at him with a baffled expression, "What?!"

"Well in Equestria Princess Celestia raises and lowers the sun and Princess Luna raises and lowers the moon. I was wondering whose job it is to do it for this world?"

She keeps her expression, "What? How does that even work? Are they gods but why would they be called princesses instead of goddesses?"

"Well I don't think their gods, I mean they are immortal but I don't think they are deities. So no one raises or lowers the sun here?"

"No! seriously your world sounds like something out of a fairytale." she stops him. digging out of the sand is an army of scorpion-like insects swarm them. Well, they're up early."

"I'm guessing it's safe to assume they're one of the poisonous insects you were talking about."

"Yes! Now stay behind me! They're not fireproof but they have numbers on their side. So keep them away and don't let them sting you, our scales should provide some protection still play it safe." Dragnight uses her fire breath to deter the creatures away for a moment but they quickly start moving closer again.

Spike shoots out flames but the insects keep on coming. "Why are they after us?"

"For one, the water, second they're meat eaters and yes it is horrifying."

"What can we do we are surrounded."

"Well, you better help come up with something I never been in a situation like this." the two keep trying to keep the army away with their fire breath but they keep coming and soon start jumping on them. Dragnight swats some away but is forced to pull some off from her body.

Spike suffers the same problem and is increasing in worry, "They're getting closer!"

"What do you want me to do?! If only we could distract them."

Spike catches something in his eye, "Wait is that? I got an idea! Hey bird brains over here!" he starts jumping up and down waving his arm. His friend wonders what he is doing but then sees the volters flying towards him and smirks. The insects start climbing up their feet. They kick and throw the insects off but more keep climbing on.

The Volters swooped down aiming right at them. Dragnight looks towards them, "Good idea but they're not dumb, they won't just stop and allow themselves to be stung."

"Don't worry I got this." the volters dive in closer and closer, Spike closes his eyes and prepares his staff. The volters bear their claws, inches away from him Spike swings his staff knocking the creatures down. It picks itself up but it is quickly swarmed and stung. The volter is paralyzed and its body is covered by the insets. The other volters stop and look at their friend not knowing while they're distracted the insects set their eyes on them. A volter looks to a claw and sees an insect crawling up. The volter tries to knock it off but it loses its balance knocking into the other one knocking them down to be quickly taken over by the swarm.

During the chaos of the volters being eaten by the swarm, Spike and Dragnight make their escape, "I got to admit that was a good plan and an amazing swing maybe it was a good thing you stole that thing."

"Yeah, it's weird it kind of feels like it moves on its own at times."

"Anyway we can't rest now it will still take some time to get back to the hideout and there are still danger out here." Dragnight keeps her eyes to the sky while spike looks to the ground. The sun is nearly set and the dragons can now see their breath.

Spike shivering is worse than before, the buckets rattle back and forth, "I-I-I'm, f-f-f-freezing."

"We're getting close and make sure you don't spill a drop of water we worked hard to get it and I don't want any to go to waste."

"W-w-when we et back to the city, w-w-will there be dragons t-there?"

"Probably some like to stay up at night and sleep during the day but not many so less chance of running into them and if we do, just keep to our usual plan of movement and we should be fine. The one disadvantage is that they have better adapted to the dark and will be better able to see than we can especially if we take too long getting back."

"How will we be able to find our way back in the dark?"

"I did this a hundred times I can find my way back blindfolded. Ouch!" Dragnight stomps on the creature that stung her and sees what it was. "Oh-oh."

"Are you ok?! Was it one of the scorpion creatures from before?"

"No, but it seems like I have to eat my words about finding my way back blindfolded."

"Your Blind!"

"Don't worry for a human the effects last for a few days, a week at most so as a dragon it should wear off much quicker."

"I really hope you just didn't just jinx yourself again."

"Yeah anyway, you're going to have to be my eyes for now. Can you do that?"

"Yes ma'am!" Spike grabs her hand and leads her. "So keep going forward?"

"Yes. This feels weird already."

"What?"

"Well. relying on someone else. I was always alone no one to help me to survive, now look at me I got careless and now, for the second time today, being saved by someone who I should be saving."

"Well, that's the power of teamwork and." Spike's speech get's interrupted.

"Don't get sappy on me, I'm not in the mood." the two make their way back to the city's gate.

"We made it back to the city, now what?"

"You remember what I said about knowing my way through the city, well I wasn't exaggerating. For in case of emergency I remembered every important route I take including the way to the base from here. Since your here you can help by describing our location."

"Ok, so right now there's the gate some flags and..."

With a great amount of deadpan sarcasm, "Wow great job. If you can't do a better job than that, then it would be easier to just let me handle it alone."

"No, I can do it." Spike takes a closer look around being able to give a better description, with that they start making their way through the city.

Halfway there Dragnight pulls Spike back, "Slow down it may be dark but there are still dragons that can see us especially with your light coloring."

"Uhh, dragnight."

"You were spotted, weren't you? Run!" they dash off, Dragnight holds tightly onto Spike's hand. Their chase leads them across the city no time for the dragoness to give directions they made many turns, jumps, and swings to get away, eventually, enough noise was made to annoy other dragons around starting a fight that lets the little one's getaway. "Are we still being chased?"

"No we're safe but now we're lost."

"Good thing I had you practiced giving intel you know what to do. Also, how is the water?"

"Right, the water I seem to have spilled some during the chase but the ones your carrying seem to be fine."

"Let just drink from the buckets and toss them we can replace them tomorrow. Now our location?"

Spike tries his best to look around, but the sun has set and there is little moonlight, "It's too dark I need a fire."

Dragnight gulps down the water and then pulls out a plank from the bucket, "Use this but be extra cautious not to be seen as for the night dragons try to spot their eyes they will be a bit of a green glow to them."

Spike lit the plank and uses the light to examine his surroundings, "Hmm, there is a lot of ripped fabric and a lot of colors. It kinda looks like Rarity boutique after one of Sweetie Bloom's art and craft projects."

Dagnight smirks at the last remark, "Sounds like the art ally as unlikely it is there are dragons that do appreciate art but of course they still get angry and break out in fights. Seriously art dragons can be more vicious than normal dragons."

"Like when someone makes a mess on one of Rarity's dresses."

"She sounds scary."

"When it comes to fashion you don't mess with Rarity even if you're a dragon. So can you lead the way back to the base?"

"Yeah, give me a moment. Grab some dark fabric if you can and cover yourself." Spike picks up a piece of cloth, with how huge dragons are a shredded piece is more than enough for him. "Use this to cover yourself, we just need to cross beast alley then we'll be on our way to the base."

"B-b-beast alley? What's there?"

"Well as the name suggests it's where they cage creatures that are up for sale. It's run by a single dragon, he's usually asleep by now so are most creatures besides any possible nocturnal ones but they should be put away."

They make their way to Beast alley, the sound of snores echo against the walls the two dragons walk past the old and rusted bars, "Are you sure these cages can hold them they look pretty worn?"

"As long as we remain quiet we won't need to test them, will we."

"The creatures look thin are they being treated right?"

"Why do you care? *sigh* No they're barely fed and aren't allowed out of their cage. Now be quiet I heard the guy that runs this place also cages smaller dragons to sell as pets."

"Ok, add that to my nightmares tonight." as they walk by piercing eyes stare at them, Spike looks back and shudders, "The sooner we get back the better." suddenly he bumps into a cage and comes face with the awoken beast. It starts barking at them. Spike falls back then hears the sound of an angry dragon that's had his sleep interrupted. Before the beast keeper could get out Spike and Dragnight make their escape the sounds of the creatures echo across the streets waking more dragons.

"I'll put out the flame if I was you. We don't need to have a beacon to draw their attention. We shouldn't be far now." they lay low in the darkness, with the chaos of the sounds of beast and tired dragons Spike and Dragnight are able to quitly and swiftly. They reach their hideout, after puting the water away Dragnight then takes the cloth Spike was using and crafts it into a hood.

Spike puts it on, "Where did you learn to do that?"

She looks away, "I don't want to talk about it.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment