• Published 12th Apr 2018
  • 344 Views, 2 Comments

The Land and Time of Discord - Wolfsong6913



When a group of diverse ponies get sucked into pre-Equestrian past, they must find a way to return without breaking the space-time continuum first.

  • ...
 2
 344

The Herd

Swift Spear remained very still once the two small fillies had galloped out of sight. No one under the shield beside her moved either. Finally, slowly, everypony’s head turned to stare at the two princesses, who still huddled together at the edge of the shield, horns glowing as they maintained the spell. Steeling her courage, Swift Spear took a nervous step forward, ignoring the harsh look Night Wings sent her way as she approached her diarchs.

“Princess?” she asked, unsure which alicorn she was really addressing - maybe it was both. “What was that? Was it really - “ she let the last sentence trail off, unspoken, though the words lingered in the air.

Luna drew a deep shuddering breath, and pulled back from her sister. She shook out her flowing mane and turned to the small herd of shuddering, awestruck ponies. “Now is not the time, Private. We must find shelter, and decide on a plan, before those creatures return.”

Swift Spear opened her mouth to - to what? Complain? She was a guard. Guards do not complain, they only obey - the mantra thundered in her head. She shut her mouth and saluted sharply. “Of course, Ma’am.” She took to the air, following Night Wings’ gestured command. Together, they circled the group from above as Celestia and Luna began urging the ground across the grassy plain. Making sure they all stayed together, and watching for danger approaching from both ground and sky - standard Guard procedure in event of emergency evacuations. For a moment, Swift Spear could almost let herself believe that she was simply in one of her drills - just another test she had to pass. But a glance at the thestral flying by her side, and the absense of the guards who should have been herding the citizens from ground level quickly dispelled that theory. This was real. Somehow, she had been sucked back in time, and was now one of two solely responsible for the safety of both of Equestria’s diarchs, as well as a motley of ordinary ponies.

A shudder traveled up her body, shaking her concentration. She lost a wingbeat, faltering in her flight as old whispers started up in the back of her head. Night Wings cast her a concerned look as she regained her rhythm, but didn’t say anything. Swift Spear grit her teeth, and focused on keeping a level flight. No. Stop saying that. That is over now. You’ve got to keep the princesses safe. Only think about that. Only that. She released a deep breath, feeling the familiar technique soothe some of the louder whispers. Good enough. Now, where are we going?

By the looks of things, the princesses were leading the herd toward the small woodland on the horizon. If she listened closely, she could hear the muttered complaints rising from the ponies below. The teacher and the reporter were clearly out of their depth, and Kibtz - who Swift Spear had known since she started her training as a Guard, but still managed to annoy her as much as when she first met him - well, Kibtz seemed to be both mildly out of shape, and arguing constantly with the teacher and reporter. The three almost seemed on the verge of a true fight, and Swift Spear hoped that she wouldn’t have to intervene. Ryemane, the farmer, was managing well enough. Swift Spear assumed she was well used to physical activity, and it was simply the shock and unfamiliarity of the situation that caused her to stumble occasionally. The princesses were at the head of the herd, moving swiftly across the grassy ground. Though they were still walking, they moved as fast as their long legs would let them, forcing the others to trot to keep up. Both of them had an identical expression of serious intent fixed upon their faces, and neither spared a glance for anything but their destination. Swift Spear kept pace above their heads briefly, trying to see if she could help, but her uncertainty and inexperience held her back.

A commotion from the back of the herd drew her attention away, and she whirled to see Night Wings diving and placing himself between the teacher and Scribbles, the reporter - Swift Spear wished she could say she had fond memories of him, but that would be an untruth. The pair glared at each other fiercely. Scribbles had his head lowered and was scraping the ground with one hoof, looking ready to charge. The teacher dropped down onto all four legs again, and struck the ground. Night Wings extended his leathery wings between the pair, baring his menacing fangs.

“Behave!” he barked sharply, glaring at them with his slitted eyes. “This is a dangerous place, and the Princesses have commanded us to cooperate! Not quarrel like foals!”

“I’ll behave if he does,” the mare spat.

“I’ll behave if she does too,” Scribbles shot back. “If such a miracle could ever happen.” he added in a muttered undertone.

“What did you say?”

“Nothing, Miss Quill,” Scribbles replied in a cloyingly sweet imitation of a young foal. “Just behaving like I was told,”

“Well, I heard something much different - “

Night Wings snarled in a terrifying fashion. “Silence!” he hissed. Swift Spear felt a chill travel down her spine at the sound, and a number of recently-awakened instincts screamed for her to flee from the threat. Her wings froze for an instant, and it was only sheer luck that kept her from crashing into the ground at that moment. She decided to set down while waiting for the argument to end.

The rest of the herd had stopped by now, waiting for the wayward pair to finish arguing and catch up. At Night Wings snarl, both quarreling ponies turned away from each other, Scribbles with an air of unconcern, Soft Quill pretending the unicorn stallion no longer existed. Before they had gone more than a few paces, they were confronted by the tall figures of their princesses.

“Petty squabbles have no place here,” Princess Luna informed them sternly. “Here, every moment must be about survival. Else you will not be here to squabble with.

Scribbles opened his mouth -

“DO YOU UNDERSTAND?”

It was a subdued version of the Royal Canterlot Voice, and while the part of Swift Spear that had been molded by her training respected the need for some degree of secrecy in a place with creatures like those, the part which had been beginning to get irritated with the foalish pair longed to see nosy reporter blown clear across the meadow by the full force of that voice.

Scribbles nodded meekly, ears flat against his head.

“Good,” Princess Luna said, eyes fixed the black and white stallion in a show of dominance. “Walk with me.” Her tone left no room for argument.

“And you, come with me,” Celestia told Soft Quill.

The plum-colored mare perked up instantly, and bounded forward. “Of course, Princess! I must - “

“No talking,” Celestia commanded. “We must be wary, and on our guard at all times.”

Soft Quill hesitated, then, reluctantly, dipped her head in aquiesense.

Celestia immediately turned back to the head of the herd. Soft Quill trotted obediently at her flank. Luna moved to join her sister, glaring purposefully at Scribbles, who snorted crossly, shook his mane, and cantered up alongside. Ryemane, who had not yet spoke, began moving automatically, with an obviously disgruntled Kibtz behind her. Night Wings turned his gaze upon Swift Spear.

“Come,” he commanded. With one flap of his leathery wings, he was in the air, circling above the herd. Swift Spear swallowed nervously, wanting nothing more than to be home, in her bunk in the barracks, before flinging herself in the air after him.

The herd traveled in relative peace for several minutes. Before long, they had reached the shelter of the trees bordering the meadow. Night Wings and Swift Spear were forced to land and travel on foot, lest they lose sight of the princesses. Celestia and Luna appeared to be looking for something, ears swiveling constantly, jerking their heads one way or another. Suddenly, Luna darted off through a narrow gap, vanishing into the darkened grove beyond. Night Wings, who had been keeping pace behind her, actually looked briefly alarmed before bounding after her. Celestia kept going straight ahead, as if she had not noticed her sister’s deviation, though her ears flickered towards her before she picked up her pace. Swift Spear swallowed nervously, hyper-aware that she was the only guard left. She tried to speed up, then tripped over a branch as her vision went black. For one terrifying moment, she flailed blindly on the ground, then felt a field surrounding her limbs and supporting her as she scrambled to her feet. She blinked rapidly, finally able to make out the pale grey form of Kibtz standing next to her.

“Thanks,” she gasped.

The unicorn blinked at her. “Hurry up,” he said. “The Princess is getting very far ahead.”

Swift Spear strained her eyes through the gloom, and realised that Celestia was nowhere in sight. With a gasp, she spun around and bounded as swiftly as she dared through the dark forest, Kibtz cantering at her side.

A wavering voice was raised from somewhere ahead of them. “P..Princess? Why is everythin’ so dark all o’ a sudden?”

The unicorn teacher squealed. “I can’t see my hooves! What am I stepping on?”

“Hush, my little ponies,” Celestia replied distantly. “This is normal for here and now.”

“Normal?” Scribbles snorted. “I can barely see my hoof in front of my face! What could be making it so dark? It was midday just a few minutes ago!”

“Here, the sun and moon are controlled by Discord,” Celestia told them all softly. “Day and night are never the same, and you never know when it will change. But one thing is the same.”

“What, Princess?” Ryemane asked when she didn’t continue.

“The night is when the most dangerous creatures emerge,” Celestia whispered after a moment. “Come. We must hurry to the shelter.”

Swift Spear burst out from a cluster of bushes just in time to see the pale form of the Princess stepping away.She dashed to catch up, Kibtz at her flank, and they joined the herd again. Luna had not yet returned, Swift Spear wondered when she should begin worrying. Before she could work it out, a shadow detached itself from the surrounding woodland and glided towards them. Swift Spear jumped, wishing desperately for the weapon that had been abandoned on the balcony when they fell into the portal, then relaxed as the darkness seemed to flow away from the figure and revealed Princess Luna. Night Wings was a lesser shadow a pace behind her.

“I found the shelter,” Luna announced quietly. “Follow me.”

Nopony spoke a word as the herd turned and traveled perpendicular to their original course. Everypony was clearly exhausted, both mentally and physically. Soft Quill’s head was drooping as she walked, clearly ready to fall asleep on her hooves. Scribbles tripped over his own hooves, causing Kibtz to stumble, but neither spoke a word to each other, simply glared softly and trudged on. Night Wings still looked wary and ready for anything, but Swift Spear caught him hiding a yawn as they walked. Only the princesses stayed alert.

Finally they emerged into a small clearing, empty but for a pile of branches and logs in the center. Swift Spear peered at it carefully.

“That’s the shelter?” she asked. “How are we all supposed to fit?” A sharp glare from Night Wings alerted her to her fault. Instantly, she folded back her ears in shame for her moment of doubt.

“It is bigger on the inside,” Celestia answered calmly, not reacting to Swift Spear’s insubordination. Lowered her head, she nosed at a heavy log that rested on the edge of the pile, pushing until the muscles along her neck stood out in high definition. Swift Spear stared in amazement. What made the princess think she could lift that with her neck? Surely using her field would be more efficient? Before she could lose control of her tongue and voice her self-doubts (again), the ground shook underneath her, dirt rippling in waves that caused her legs to crumble underneath her weight. She flailed her wings to keep her balance, while everyone else fell. Only Celestia and Luna stood still, as the ground shook, and the log… moved. Swift Spear almost lost her balance at the sight. Had the earthquake moved it? It seemed far to fortuitous. Nevertheless, the log moved, revealing a dark hole leading down into the earth. Celestia shook out her mane and stepped back. Her horn lit briefly, then died.

“Everyone down,” she commanded. “We’ll be safe in here.”

Scribbles and Soft Quill practically scrambled for the hole, nearly trampling each other in their efforts to be the first down. Only after a sharp glare from Princess Luna did Scribbles reluctantly step back and allow Soft Quill to go first, then stepped on her hooves as he hurried after her. Kibtz was the next down, clearly relieved to get off his feet, Ryemane close behind his tail. Swift Spear hesitated at the edge of the hole. All her instincts were screaming at her not to trap herself in the earth, where she could not fly. But underground maneuvers had been a part of her training, and so she screwed up her courage and descended into the shelter.

It was brighter than she had expected. The shelter was wide, shallow pit in the earth, large enough to fit up to maybe 15 full-grown ponies. It was a bit squished once the Princesses had joined them, but 5 ponies, a thestral, and the princesses still fit well enough. The edges of the pit, extending to about a pony-length from each wall, were fully underground, with a roof of soil, but the main part of the shelter was covered up with the piles of logs and sticks Swift Spear had seen from outside. Light penetrated through the narrow cracks between the branches, and even in the gloom of Discord-induced night, Swift Spear could still see the other ponies. She settled herself iin a loose patch of soil near the far wall, wincing as dust coated her once-golden armor and wings. But her relief at being safe and at rest overpowered her disgust.

“We are safe for now,” Celestia said quietly. “Perhaps you all should get some rest - “

“With all due respect, Princess,” Night Wings spoke up unexpectedly, creating a minor commotion as Soft Quill jumped at the sound of his deep, raspy voice. “I think you should tell us more about this… time. What it is like, what that… event… was earlier. We need to start a plan for returning to where we belong, and this information could possibly be essential.”

Celestia didn’t reply, but slowly lowered her head, closing her eyes. She held this position for one long minute - then another. Nopony spoke, merely watched her anxiously.

It was Luna who broke the silence. “You are correct, Night Wings.” She stretched a wing over her sister’s back, eyeing the gathered ponies as if waiting for commentary. “Intelligence is always necessary to concoct a plan.” She took a deep breath, as if preparing for something huge. “We will tell you of this land - the land of our birth.”

Author's Note:

I was planning to try and write two chapters at once so the breaks in between chapters would be shorter, but... let's just say that didn't work out. New chapters will continue to be intermittent. Sorry.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment