• Published 7th Dec 2017
  • 19,475 Views, 1,590 Comments

Responsibilities - Hiver



Blank Page continue his life in Equestria. Everything seem to be going his way for once... hah!

  • ...
41
 1,590
 19,475

Chapter 30

“Not now, Fern,” I said and pushed the timberwolf to the side. He whined and then settled down on the floor next to me.

I looked across the table to my guests. Sunset Shimmer was the one I knew best. The rest were guard ponies.

Sergeant Bronze Shield was an older earth pony with light bronze color coat and of the Solar Guard as it officially was called.

Sergeant Night Wind was younger and a pegasus of the Lunar Guard. He had a dark, almost black coat and even darker mane.

Lieutenant Flarefire was the last one, a unicorn of the Solar Guard. Being of the same colour of Sunset, his mane was a bright red.

All these three ponies had one thing I common. Their main job in the guard was training ponies not to get themselves killed and to work together.

“Okay, so here it is,” I said and looked between them, “I need a plan for training my guard and the normal one for day or night won’t work.”

“May I ask why, Lord Page?” Flarefire asked.

I nodded, “For one thing, they will be doing very little guarding. I plan to have them be a bit more proactive in their defence of Equestria. Forget about threats like Tirek and Sombra, very few ponies can do something about that, but there are smaller threats. Like Starlight Glimmer.”

Sunset frowned at me, “You are going to turn them into a replacement of the Warmages?”

“Not at all,” I said and shook my head, “Just a different kind of defence. The day and night guards are focused on keeping ponies safe. I want my guard to focus on making the threat go away. Not sure it’ll work as I don’t plan for the group to get that big, but still.”

Night Wind frowned in thought, “Offense to our defence?”

“Just as so,” I agreed, “So as you see, the normal guard doctrine wouldn’t work.”

Flarefire didn’t look overly enthusiastic, “I’m still not convinced about the idea of mare guards, but we should be able to work something out.”

“My first idea is to continue on the normal guards tendency to work in pairs with unicorns,” I said, “One defending and one attacking. My idea is to split everypony into teams of three, each with a unicorn, earth pony and pegasi.”

Sunset slowly nodded, “To cover each other’s weaknesses.”

“More or less,” I agreed, “Thoughts?”

“Could work,” Bronze Shield said and looked thoughtful, “Training would need to be quite different though. I would recommend doing the teaming up of the groups early to build friendships and bonds among the group.”

“Sunset?” I asked her, “How does the ratio of the ponies left stand?”

She checked her list, “The ones that finished training is actually pretty even split. There is enough for eight teams and one extra pegasus.”

Flarefire nodded, “We’ll figure it out.”

Sunset nodded with a smile, “I have some ideas. We’ll go through the current books on guard training and see what we can find and give you a summary report, Lord Page.”

It was really, really weird hearing Sunset calling me that. But she did for really official business.

“Sounds good to me,” I agreed, “How soon do you think it can be done?”

“Week or so?” Sunset said with a frown, “I have already read most of them, we just need to agree on what parts work with the new direction and what need to be scrapped.”

I nodded, “Anything else for today?”

Flarefire spoke up, “I think we have everything we need for now, Lord Page. We’ll get back to you as soon as we have the material ready.”

“Very well, dismissed,” I said with a smile, “And thank you.”

All three filed up, giving their goodbyes while Sunset stayed behind. The door closed behind them and I sighed and smiled at her, “So… how many of these have you had?”

“At least one a day,” she admitted, “Could have been worse, most of them are short like this.”

“Thanks again for handling this for me.”

“You owe me big, wingboy,” she said and got up to stretch, rubbing her neck, “Speaking of which, I could use a spa visit.”

I just chuckled, “Have fun and have them send me the bill.”

That caused her to light up in a happy smile, “Awesome. Thanks,” then looked at me, “Wanna come?”

“Never been to a spa before,” I admitted, “But some other time I think, I have a lot of stuff to do. Ask again next week.”

“Will do. Have fun.”

“Yes. Fun.”

Sunset winked and gathered up her papers and left, leaving me and Fern alone in the meeting room. Sighing, I looked down at the chlorofiend, “Now then, let’s get you that walk you wanted,” I told him, “We can go to the garden and you can soak some sunlight while I read the papers I’m sure Velvet have waiting for me outside that door. Sound good?”

The pet/houseplant surged to his paws with a mruf.

Walk. Yes, that’s a word he knew. A dog is a dog, no matter what it was made of.