• Published 7th Dec 2017
  • 19,445 Views, 1,590 Comments

Responsibilities - Hiver



Blank Page continue his life in Equestria. Everything seem to be going his way for once... hah!

  • ...
41
 1,590
 19,445

Chapter 29

“Ready?” Sunset asked with a smile as she walked along next to me.

“Sure,” I agreed and sighed, “I still feel that this is a bit silly. I mean, why would I possibly need my own guard for? None of the… actually, I suppose it might have helped with the changelings, but… still.”

Sunset shrugged, “Well, it couldn’t hurt. Besides, if it makes Princess Luna happy, why not?”

“Just seem like a bit of a waste of resources that could be better put into either the night or day guard,” I said with a frown, “How many did we end up with anyway?”

“We started with hundred and fifty and after basic training we are down to twenty five,” Sunset explained, “That’s about as far as we are getting without your support.”

“How so?”

She grinned, “Nobody actually know anything about the formation of a personal guard so I had to dig into the archives. It turns out that if we are to do things right, the Princess… or in this case Prince,”

“Hey!”

“Would need to personally chose how the training will progress and be focused,” she continued with a smile like I hadn’t spoken up, “So far, we have only gone through basic training. Running, some hoof to hoof, spell casting and some flying for the pegasi. Basically, yelling and pushing a bunch of ponies until they either started preforming or washed out. As I understand it, Swift Spear had a lot of fun with that.”

I chuckled at that, “Yeah, I can see that. Lieutenant or not, I think he’ll always be a sergeant at heart.”

“Yep. Was kind of fun to watch,” Sunset agreed, “But we are at the point where we need your input.”

“Just give them guard training,” I said, “That was easy.”

Sunset sighed and poked me with her hoof, “If we are to do this right, you need to inspect the troops first and hand the guard handbook or something over to me or Swift. But I’m not even sure if regular guard stuff would work with this.”

“Why?”

“Because they would guard you and I never seen you not run directly towards the danger,” she said with a frown, “The normal guard strategy is to get between their charge and the danger.”

“…Point,” I admitted, “Not that I’m trying to get into danger, but I can help and…”

Sunset nodded, “I know. But that won’t work with the normal guard training. If anything, they should be given the same kind of training we have gotten. But barely a third are unicorns and while I can at least start with them, I have no clue what to do about earth ponies and pegasi.”

There was that.

“I’ll consider it,” I said and frowned, “I should talk it over with Luna tonight.”

“All I ask,” she said and led me out onto the parade ground and I blinked twice at the sight before I stopped and grabbed Sunset it my magic, pulling her back out with me again as I ducked back into the room, ”Sunset?”

“Yes?” she asked innocently from the golden magic holding her in the air.

I took a slow breath and rubbed my eyes with a hoof before I set her back down, “…Why are they all female?”

“Symmetry,” She said and smiled at me, “The Princesses guards are all male. I figured that your guard should be all female. Besides, a lot of mares around that would have wanted to join the Guard but been unable to. Only thing they could do would be to try for cities local police forces.”

That… almost made some kind of twisted sense.

“Sunset, that’s… oh damn it. Do you have any idea how this might look?”

She smiled, “Oh, I know. But you’ll thank me in a couple of hundred years,” she said before she teased, “Or would you rather be surrounded by burly stallions.”

“…Fucking damn it, Sunny,” I groaned and then nodded, “Very well, mares I understand. But why are their armour different?”

“Unless you haven’t noticed,” she said and shifted next to me, bumping her side against mine, “Mares are a bit of a different shape than colts.”

“Oh I noticed,“ I grumbled and brushed my wing across her back, “But those seem a bit less covering and strictly form fitting than strictly necessary.”

She grinned, “I got Rarity involved with the royal armor smith and they got a good looking and still practical set of armor. You should see the dress uniform, it’s really nice.”

Sitting down, I rubbed the side of my head.

I’m getting a headache. Why did I give Sunset the authority to do this again? Oh yeah, because I was being lazy and didn’t want to this myself.

“…you don’t like it?” Sunset said after a moment, “I’m sorry, Page. I tried my best to…”

“No…” I said and shook my head, putting my wing around her and pulling her into a quick hug, “It’s not that I don’t like it. It’s not just what I was expecting.”

“I know. I wanted it to be a surprise.”

Nodding, I smiled at her, “Okay then. Let’s figure out what you should be teaching them then.”

She blinked at me, “Me?”

“Oh yeah, you got us into this, you get us out of it,” I said with a smile, “Perhaps you should be wearing that armour and dress uniform as well?”

“No, no, no!” She quickly said and shook her head, “I’m not joining!”

We’ll see about that.

Chuckling, I nodded, “Very well,” and let her go, “But you are helping with the rest of their training until they graduate.”

“…That’s mean,” she mumbled.

“Tough,” I told her and then stretched my wings, “Now, I think we have an inspection to do?”

“…Yeah.”

I watched her for a moment before I gave her another hug with my wing, “Thank you. I won’t be able to do it in a couple of hundred years, so I figured now would do it now.”

That got a smile from her.