• Published 15th Oct 2017
  • 1,875 Views, 250 Comments

For science - Book three - Znegil



Much changes as Chrysalis moves into the library so our pair can "research" her and find a way for the changelings to fit into pony society. Meanwhile, a new threat emerges.

  • ...
14
 250
 1,875

10 Body

It took Twilight a few moments to calm down. She still wasn't comfortable speaking about sexual things in front of others, but that's just how she was and it always looked so cute when she was bashful.

I looked at my marefriend’s list for the next item so I could get her out of this situation.
“Is there something special about your ears?”, I asked Chrysalis.

“Well, you already know I have far superior hearing compared to all of you. Aside from this fact they aren't different from the ones ponies have.”

I checked the list again while Twilight was writing down the notes about what we learned. “Fine, what about your eyes?”, I asked.

“My eyesight is about the same as ponies have, but I can also see very well in the dark. Like you have said before, I am a predator.” She used a big grin to show off her fangs.

I just smiled at her boasting, she didn’t feel that threatening anymore, more like a teenage boy who tried to pretend how strong and though he was. I knew she was much stronger than me, but I also knew she was hiding a soft heart.

“Funny you show off your fangs like this, because they are next on the list.”, I told her. I hesitated, something was wrong. I looked at the list again. “Wait… Twilight, shouldn’t her nostrils or sense of smell be next on the list? I don’t see them anywhere on there.”

Twilight stared at the list and her eyes widened. “Oh no. Oh NO! I forgot to put them on the list!”

“It's not a problem, we just write it at the end.”, I tried to calm her down.

“No, that’s not good enough.”, she replied. “What if Celestia asks me for my notes and sees this chaos?!”

“Why should she do that, you will give her the finished paper. There is no reason why she would ask for your notes.”

“I can’t risk that, I will write a new list. Don't continue without me!”, she shouted and stormed out of the lab.

I just sighed, I had got used to her perfectionism.

“Lyra, could you please follow her to make sure she doesn’t use a whole day doing it. She should just write it down again.”, I asked my lab assistant.

“Sure Boss.”, she replied and went after her.

“And stop calling me boss, just use my name!”, I shouted after the aquamarine mare.

When I turn towards Chrysalis again I found her smiling.

“These two can be the source of quite some chaos around here.”, she commented.

“Well, everyone has times when they cause some chaos for their friends. I as well wasn’t easy to handle after I had lost my hand.”

“How so?”, she asked with a curious look.

This wasn't something I liked to talk about, but considering what Chrysalis had told us about her it would be unfair not to tell her about this in return. I sighed and unlocked my prosthesis. I slid it off and looked at my stump, it was still strange to see how my arm just ended there.

“After I had lost my hand, I acted like it wasn't a big deal and I could handle it just fine. I buried my anger and tried to adjust to the new situation. But everypony treated me like I was helpless and couldn't do anything on my own… it made me mad. All this anger grew inside me until I snapped over another little mistake I made because of my missing hand. I screamed at Twilight and ran out of the library.”

I sighed. Just thinking about that day brought up so many feelings again.

“I was angry about the situation, angry at myself for screaming at Twilight who only wanted to help, and furious because of this ugly useless stomp. I loathed this stump and hit it with full force against a tree nearby.”

I hit the palm of my hand with the stump to visualize it, producing a loud clap.

“The wound was still fresh and incredible pain went through my body. I ignored the pain as much as possible and hit the tree again.”

I closed my eyes.

*Clap*

“My wound had opened again and blood started to flow from it.”

*Clap*

*Clap*

“I saw the world through a red haze of pain, barely able to stay conscious while I kept hitting the tree.”

*Clap*

*Clap*

Something held on to my stomp, keeping it from continuing. I opened my eyes and saw Chrysalis had stood up and was holding on to it, a deeply worried look on her face.

“Sorry…”, I excused for my behavior. ”I got lost in that feeling again.”

I slowly removed my stomp from her grip and took a few deep breaths.

“Well, Rainbow Dash stopped me about the same point you did and I don't want to imagine what had happened if she hadn't insisted following me.”

We stared at my stomp.

“Stupid useless thing…”, I mumbled.

“You had a magic blade emerge from it to stop me, I wouldn't call that useless.”, Chrysalis commented in a strange effort to cheer me up.

I just harrumphed in return and kept staring at my missing hand.

“Something like a magic blade from your arm never happened before?”, she asked.

“No, I just had some random effects before, some levitation and telekinesis, I wasn't able to control it.”, I replied.

“A blade was helpful in your situation, but it is just a random shape… you could try something else.”

“Like what?”, I asked confused.

“A hand?”, she suggested.

I think my brain stopped working for a moment and I just looked at her blinking.
“I… you…”, I stuttered. “You think something like this is possible?”

“I change my shape all the time.”, she replied. “I don't see how a hand should be much more difficult than a magical blade able to pierce my shield.”

I looked back and forth between her and my stump. “But the amount of power I would need to uphold it…”

She sat down in her chair again and touched the clamp on her horn for a brief moment. “I don't know how you are using magic, I can only tell you about myself. When I tried a new spell it always was very hard for me, but with practice, it became second nature to do it without using much energy.”

“You really think I could do that?”, I asked.

“I don't know. I'm a changeling and you're a human. But you don't use your hand for 98% of the time anyway, so I thought you could just blink it.”

“Blink it?”, I inquired. I had no idea what she meant by that.

“It's a term I use for giving myself a body part for just a brief moment, long enough to do a task. Like when I'm disguised as an earth pony… I go somewhere where nopony sees me and let a horn appear just long enough to cast a spell.”

It all sounded so good and logical, the warm feeling of hope started to spread through my body.

“How do I do it?”, I jumped up from my chair and asked her eagerly.

“I don't know how it works for you, it was just a suggestion.”, she replied while leaning back to get more distance between us.

“How do you learn a new spell?”, I kept asking getting awfully close to her again.

She looked a bit panicked as she replied. “I try to visualize the result and force it into existence.”

I sat back in my chair and stared at the end of my stump. I tried to calm down and focus. I remembered how it used to look, I tried to see my hand where it was missing.

For seconds nothing happened but I kept trying. I focused all my power at this one point of my body…

For a brief moment, a glowing blue hand appeared and vanished instantly. I was grinding my teeth, refusing to give up. The hand reappeared but was flickering, I felt it would dissolve any moment. I just wanted to keep it around longer and my mind searched for a source of power to do it, just like when I had used the blade… and I found something nearby and tapped into it.

The hand lid up bright and stabilized… glowing light green.

“What are you doing?!”, Chrysalis screamed, she was confused and frightened while her horn was glowing brightly.

In that moment Twilight and Lyra opened the door to the lab.

“Sweet Celestia!”