• Published 15th Oct 2017
  • 1,865 Views, 250 Comments

For science - Book three - Znegil



Much changes as Chrysalis moves into the library so our pair can "research" her and find a way for the changelings to fit into pony society. Meanwhile, a new threat emerges.

  • ...
14
 250
 1,865

26 Blood

We stood in front of the Everfree Forest, a place dangerous enough by itself at night, we had to be very careful or we wouldn't even reach our target.

“Don't worry too much.”, Chrysalis addressed me after reading my expression. “You know I have excellent hearing and night vision, I should be able to spot all possible treats long before they reach us.”

She sounded quite cheerful, but I knew it was just a facade to calm me down. Of course it didn't work, but nonetheless I was thankful for her trying.

With a bad feeling I entered the forest and we moved as silently as possible.

I constantly looked around and tried to spot anything dangerous while I very carefully watched the ground as well so I wouldn't step on anything making noise. It was incredibly exhausting to be in this high-alert state all the time.

Suddenly Chrysalis held on to me and pushed me to the ground, where I laid on my back. She climbed on top of me and after a green flame washed over her body… I was in almost complete darkness.
It took a few seconds before my eyes adjusted to the new conditions.
To my surprise, I found Chrysalis head was only inches in front of mine, but the rest of her body looked like a gray irregular formed tent that was covering me.
“What is happening?”, I whispered into her ear as quiet as possible.

“We are a rock, so stop talking.”, she whispered back.

We laid like this for another minute before I heard heavy steps. Whatever it was, it quickly got closer and I heard a deep unsettling growl. Chrysalis looked deeply worried and sweat was slowly dripping from her chin into my face.

It took a few more minutes before the creature's noise got quiet enough so it seemed safe to assume it had walked away.

“What in hell was that?”, I asked. “It sounded huge.”

She changed her form back before she answered. “An Ursa.”
She looked around. “And since the trees are still standing, it looks like it was an Ursa Minor.”

She looked into my confused face and sighed. “Do you know what a bear is?”, she asked.

I nodded in reply.

“Now imagine a bear as big as a house.”

“Things like this exist in the Everfree Forest?”, I asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, and things worse than that. That's why nopony walks into this forest at night.”

“Thanks for covering me.”, I addressed her.

She looked surprised. “No need to thank me, we're working towards the same goal, I protect you as you would do for me.” She showed a big grin. “And Twilight would kill me if I wouldn't bring you back in one piece.”

We moved with extreme caution as we got close to the clearing where the portal had been and I expected it to be in the same spot this time.
We both had binoculars from Twilight seemingly endless supply of useful stuff down in the library's basement. She had mentioned these when she told me how she had tried to make sense of Pinkie Pie’s antics and had followed her all day.
We made sure to always hide behind bushes and Chrysalis had changed her body color to a camouflage pattern of various shades of green, even from only a few feet away I sometimes had problems seeing her.

After twenty minutes of slowly crawling towards the clearing, we finally spotted them. We saw three… no, four soldiers. Two of them were standing guard while the other two were working on fortifying the clearing.

So far they had erected something that looked like a small room around the portal with big, probably bulletproof windows. Additionally, there was a conveyor belt coming through the portal ending inside that room. One of these soldiers was standing next to it right now and took different parts from it while another was working on a huge half-finished turret about fifty feet away from the portal.

“We have to observe everything they're doing and come up with a plan.”, I whispered towards my green spotted friend.

“What is that thing they're building?”, she asked.

“The machine guns they are wearing are extremely deadly.”, I explained. “But if their guns fire marble sized projectiles, then this thing fires bowling-ball sized ones instead.”

Of course, this was a bad and not very accurate comparison, but I wanted to give her a rough estimate of what such a turret would be capable of.
Never before had I seen her this afraid as in this moment when she realized that.

“We have to stop them before they have completed this thing.”, she stated.

“First we have to carefully watch them and make a plan, we only have one shot and can't afford to rush our attack.”, I replied.

The sun was just about to rise and the forest was in some weird twilight which gave everything a grayish tone.
We had watched the soldiers for nearly an hour and had a pretty good understanding of how they worked together. I had used the time to create a plan, it was quite risky but it gave us the best chance to actually destroy the portal.

I was just about to tell Chrysalis my plan when I heard somepony shout from the other side of the clearing.

“We're coming in peace and represent the citizen of Equestria, please accept our humble offering to talk about your arrival.”

Three unicorns, a mare, and two stallions slowly approached the clearing, one of them was waving a white flag.

One of the guarding soldiers raised his machine gun almost casually and opened fire upon the flag-carrying pony, he died in less than a second within this spray of bullets.

Chrysalis body moved towards the enemies but I read her feelings and held on to her.

“We have to help them.”, she whispered towards me in an almost pleading tone.

“No, we can't waste our one chance to surprise them, destroying the portal is our single priority.”, I whispered in her ear while I held her tight and tears ran down my face. “Whatever it will take, protecting this world is more important than any of our lives.”

“We're coming in peace!”, I heard one of the ponies cry, their fear was so strong it washed over me like a tidal wave. Both of the remaining ponies used their magic to form a shield in front of them.

The two soldiers opened fire again and the magic shields weren't able to withstand their deadly force for more than a few seconds before they collapsed, both must have been dead before their bodies hit the ground.

We stared at this horrible bloody display, showing us the attackers intentions ever so clear. I felt my friend’s body shake, felt her mixture of fear, disgust, and fury. I was just able to keep myself from vomiting.

One of the soldiers addressed the others, Chrysalis told me what she had heard with her incredible hearing ability:
“Inform Central Command what has happened, tell them our first turret will be functional within an hour. In addition, we advise to start phase three immediately and send at least a battalion of elite soldiers within the same time frame.”