• Published 15th Oct 2017
  • 1,875 Views, 250 Comments

For science - Book three - Znegil



Much changes as Chrysalis moves into the library so our pair can "research" her and find a way for the changelings to fit into pony society. Meanwhile, a new threat emerges.

  • ...
14
 250
 1,875

2 Happy pain

We walked through the castle towards the hospital, as we crossed one of the yards connecting different parts of the castle. Many ponies turned their head to stare at Chrysalis as we walked by, normally I was the one ponies stared at. I looked down at the fine layer of snow that had fallen and was covering the ground.

“I always loved snow.”, I said while we walked over the white powdery substance. “Somehow it’s strange to experience something so familiar to me, but in a whole different world.”

“I’m not very fond of snow.”, Chrysalis commented. “Since we haven't any fur to protect us, our skin loses warmth quickly when we touch cold stuff like snow.”

I looked at her and concentrated on her skin. The first time I had seen her I had mistaken it for a chitin-like substance, like a bug would have, but on a closer look it was different, softer and duller than chitin.

“Would it be okay for you if I touch your skin?”, I asked her.

“Sure, go ahead.”, she answered and held one of her front hooves next to me with an amused smile.

I used my hand to brush along its surface, it felt like warm leather. ”It’s surprisingly soft and warm.”, I told her while my hand moved further reaching one of the holes in her hoof. Carefully I touched the inside of it and noticed it was covered in exactly the same skin.

“It’s considered very rude to stick anything inside our holes without permission.”, Chrysalis commented.

I quickly removed my hand from her body. “Sorry, I didn’t want to offend you.”

“No problem, you didn’t know about that.”, she replied. “The green shell on my back is much harder and acts like a shield.” She made a gesture with her hoof that seems to suggest she was okay with me touching it too.

I got closer again and laid my hand on her green back, this was much more how I had expected her skin to be, hard and a bit cold. I even knocked on it and felt it would be able to withstand quite some force.

“Wow, that’s really sturdy.”, I commented. I traced my hand along it and reached the belt-like thing wrapping around her belly starting from her back-shield, it had the same color as her hair. “What is this part?”, I asked while I run my fingers over it and poked it a bit.

Suddenly it twitched under my touch and she started giggling really loud and out of control.

“Sorry.”, I quickly excused myself and drew back my hand, I was a worried I touched another ‘rude-to-touch’ zone. Everypony in sight of us was straight up staring at us now.

It took her a few seconds to regain her composure. She didn’t look mad but smiled instead.

“This part is some extra protection for my heart and other critical organs. It’s only got a şahzadə name, it’s called ‘kəmər’. It’s not as hard as my back-shield but can absorb quite some force too… and for some reason, I’m quite ticklish there.”

It had felt strange to see the creature I had fought against just hours ago giggle like a little schoolgirl, but it also made me smile.

She continued walking and I got back to her side.

“I guess this gives me the right to search for your ticklish spots someday.”, she said and turned her head towards me, giving me a sly grin.

“I guess.”, I answered smiling.

She doesn’t seem so different anymore.’, I thought to myself. ‘But I should stay cautious.’

We entered the hospital and asked for Lavender’s room. We moved silently through two corridors until we reached the room we had been told.

‘I should show some trust in her to gain her trust in return.’

“Do you want to have some time with her alone first?”, I asked her.

“Sure… but wasn't that the one thing I shouldn't be allowed, to be without supervision?”, she asked back surprised.

“For what reason should you try to run?”, I commented. “Take your time. I will be waiting here until you get me.”

“Thanks.” She knocked and entered the room, I only heard a bit of Lavender’s voice before the door closed again.

It had been about twenty minutes before Chrysalis opened the door again and signaled me to enter. I found Lavender lying in bed, her body bandaged where I had wounded her.

“Hey…”, I started bashfully. “I’m so so sorry for what has happened, it wasn’t my intent to hurt anypony.”

“It’s okay.”, she answered with a weak but warm voice. “If I hadn’t jumped before you, this all hadn’t happened. Chryssi already told me about your motives.”

“Chryssi?”, I replied in a mix of surprise and amusement. I saw the Changelings princess face which made it pretty clear I shouldn’t think about using this name.

“Well anyway.”, I changed the subject. “I’m so happy you will be better soon and I hope you can visit us in Ponyville, you can stay with us in the library as long as you like.”

“The library?”, Lavender asked.

“Stella lives with her marefriend inside a big tree house which also is a library.”, Chrysalis explained to her.

“Have you been in it before?”, I asked her.

“Of course, I had been inside all publicly accessible buildings of Ponyville and Canterlot in preparation of what I had planned… and a few not accessible buildings.”, she told me with a smug grin.

“Well, I guess your abilities make you the perfect spy. I can’t wait to learn more about them.”

Lavender moved a bit on her bed and used her magic to drink a glass of water. “Even though Chryssi told me she had been herself around me, apart from the appearance, there are many things I have to learn about her as well.”, she said and grabbed her hoof. “And I’m looking forward to it.”

The unicorn mare leaned towards her marefriend and pursed her lips, Chrysalis was very happy to obey her wish and kissed her.

“I still have to get used to her fangs.”, Lavender continued smiling. “My parents are quite liberal. But I think it will be an interesting challenge to introduce them my marefriend.”

She started laughing but instantly her face distorted in pain. “I guess it's still a few days before I can laugh again.”, she explained.