• Published 15th Oct 2017
  • 1,865 Views, 250 Comments

For science - Book three - Znegil



Much changes as Chrysalis moves into the library so our pair can "research" her and find a way for the changelings to fit into pony society. Meanwhile, a new threat emerges.

  • ...
14
 250
 1,865

34 The best day ever

Dashie and I were pacing the little room next to city hall, waiting for the ceremony to begin. Once again I checked myself in the mirror, Rarity had done incredible work.
Her first suggestion had been a partly transparent dress, but I hadn't been comfortable with this idea. Within the last few months I got used to the black blobs roaming my body and gained even more control over them, but I didn't like the idea to highlight them even more.

So instead my dress was silky white with silver embroidery, pearls, and little diamond shards. My hair was braided in a very complex but beautiful way and little clear crystals had been woven into it, I sparkled with every little movement.

Rainbow’s dress was even more breathtaking. She always had emphasized how cool and unique her dress should be, and Rarity had topped all expectations.

The basic color of her dress was white as well, but she had gone all out with the rainbow theme. There was a strand of every color of her mane connected to the back of her dress, where the hair hit the fabric a trail of the same color continued along the dress, it gave the impression her mane was incredibly long. At the end of these trails, they then transformed into embroidery which looked like colorful explosions. All of this constrained her head movement a bit, but not by much.

We were of course totally clueless how our brides would look like, I was sure Rarity would have killed us if we had tried to peek in any way.

“How long do we have to wait?”, Dashie groaned while she was pacing the little room.

“I'm sure it will start soon, let's try to calm down a bit.”, I tried to soothe her.

“I'm not nervous, you're nervous!”, she shouted back. It was clear she regretted it instantly. “Sorry… I guess this really gets the best of me. I'm a little bit worried I may mess up something during the ceremony, all of our friends are here as well as our families, I wouldn't…” She stopped herself from continuing and gave me an apologetic look.

It took me a few seconds to understand why she acted like this. “It's okay.”, I replied when I finally understood. “Of course it would have been nice if my parents were here to get to know my bride and to attend the ceremony.”

I sat down on one of the chairs and took a few deep breaths. “I guess I never told you I had been married before. I was married to another woman, Viola. It hadn't been common in my world back then to have same-sex marriages, but my parents always had been happy for me and supported us, so I know it would have been the same here.”

“Even though she is a totally different species?”, she asked and I immediately felt her regret for asking it.

I started to laugh… which totally flabbergasted her.

“It seems we still have some time before the ceremony starts, so let me tell you a little story from my past.”, I told her.

She sat down on a chair next to mine, careful not to mess up her dress.

“My parents always wanted me to be happy, they always tried their best support me in any way.”, I started to explain. “Once when I was little, I asked my dad…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dad, will I be married as well when I'm grown up?”

“That's up to you sweetheart. I'm sure you will find someone who loves you the way you are and we will be happy as long as you are happy.”

I thought about this for a moment.

“What if I want to marry a crocodile?”, I asked.

He laughed for a while before he was able to answer.

“I guess it will be the happiest crocodile the world has ever seen. We just want someone… or something to love you as much as we do. We will always be happy for you if this is the case… even if it is a crocodile.”

“What about an elephant?”

“It could help me to move a few heavy things, and you would look pretty cool while riding in into the chapel…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It always had been a funny family anecdote from this day on.”, I explained.”I often brought it up again to asked them about different animals I was fascinated by.”

I took a short moment to sort my feelings and took a few deep breaths.

“Then when he accompanied me on my way to the altar, he whispered to me:
‘I think Viola is much prettier than a crocodile, but you know I would have walked with you this way to become Ms. Crocodile as well.’
I had a hard time to contain my laughter back then…

So long story short, even though they are not around today, I'm sure they would love Twilight because I do.”

Dashie stood up and walked to a box of handkerchiefs, she did her best to hide her face from me.

“I'm just sweating a bit…”, she mumbled.
“From the eyes?”, I asked with a smug grin.

“Oh shut up.”, she replied and playfully tossed the box towards me. I used my magic hand to catch it midair and put it on the chair to my right.

The door opened just enough to let Pinkie’s head through.

“Hey girls, it's time to start. Come on out.”, she told us.

We followed her into the main room which was filled to the brim with our friends and everypony we knew. Under the eyes of all of them, we walked to the front where Celestia was awaiting us, just like we had done in rehearsal. I noticed the families of Dashie, Fluttershy and Twilight in the front row. Despite what I had told Rainbow a few minutes before, I felt some sadness when my eyes swept across them.

But I also saw a few changelings sitting among the ponies, thanks to our work with Chryssi their race had started to live peacefully among the others in Equestria. I noticed Chrysalis was sitting next to Luna, waving to me with one hoof while the other held on tight to Lavender.

As we reached the front we turned around and waited for our brides to appear, we both had decided early on we would give them this moment.

I was breathing hard when the music started to play and we all stared at the main entrance of town hall.

After a few seconds which felt like forever the doors finally swung open to reveal our brides.

Twilight's dress was a mixture of white and a very dark purple, layered on top of each other with golden lines dividing the colors. Her hair was wonderfully braided with golden ribbons and there was a little veil partly covering her eyes.

Green was the dominant color in Fluttershy's dress, complemented by some white and yellow. Dozens of breathtaking flowers were perfectly integrated into her dress and the whole things looked like it flew down her slender body. Her pink hair, while containing flowers as well, was open and provided a beautiful contrast to the dress, a large veil covered her face, shielding her from all the admiring stares.

My vision went blurry as happy tears filled my eyes while we watched them slowly approach us. The only thing I was able to focus on was Twilight and it felt like forever until she finally stood next to me.

Celestia started the ceremony and said… something, her voice sounded like she was a mile away while I focused on Twilight's wonderful appearance; her partly hidden eyes under the veil and her beautiful smile which warmed my heart. I felt incredible happiness while the same feeling beamed back at me through our connection and time lost all meaning. I felt like I was floating in a…

“... ella? Stella?”, slowly Celestia's voice found its way through my clouded mind.

I blinked and focused on her. “Yes?”, I asked confused.

“Do you want to marry Twilight Sparkle?”, she repeated with a warm smile.

“More than anything.”, I replied.

“Very well. And you Twilight, do you want to…”

“Yes! Yes! Yes!”, she shouted.

Celestia giggled. “I think it's clear to see for everypony that you are meant for each other.”, she addressed us together with Rainbow and Fluttershy, only now I remembered them again.

“Shall you be united from now on until the end of time.”, she ended the ceremony.

I used my magic hand to take her ring from a silk pillow next to us and carefully put it over her horn while she used her magic to put mine on the ring finger of my left hand.

I quickly looked over to our two friends checking if they were ready as well. After a nod from Dashie, we both lifted our bridges veils and kissed them.

Thunderous applause roared through city hall accompanied from the cheers of our friends and family.

I woke up next to my lovely wife and flashes of yesterday's party appeared in my mind. Pinkie had really outdone herself, the food had been excellent, we had a lot of fun with the games she had prepared and the music was filled with stuff I had never heard before in Equestria.
Celestia and Luna had a dance-off at one time to something I only could describe as the Equestria version of Hip Hop.
Fluttershy who had a bit too much cider decided to sing karaoke to one of her favorite songs and stunned me with her beautiful voice.
Dashie nearly toppled the cake when she cut of the first piece, only thanks to the magic of multiple unicorns it was saved.
Chryssi had fought hard for our bridal bouquet when Twilight threw it, she tackled Rarity to get it.

And I danced… danced so much with my lovely bride.

In an attempt to wake up my beautiful purple wife I softly started to kiss her, as I would do every day of our life from now on. She opened her eyes and looked straight into mine.

I felt at home.

Author's Note:

It feels strange to end the story, I had so much fun writing it.
I thank you all so much for your comments, I love the interaction with the readers, I learn so much from them.
I think I will put a bit more time into my art within the next months, taking a break from writing, but I'm pretty sure I will be back when I have another good idea for a story.

Again, thanks for everything.

Comments ( 18 )

Beautiful. I wish I could draw as I'd love to see them all in their wedding dresses. Thanks for the ride Znegil!

Uhmm, what about the Lyra / Indigo Nighshade arc? :twilightsheepish:

a grate ending to a awesome story.

but i have one question what happened with queen chrysalis??

9158079
When I remember right, I used Nightshade to dig deeper into Cadence backstory. Did I leave something open about him? I guess I have to read my own story once again, since they have been written over many months, I may have overlooked something despite my "ideas document".

9158087
Well, she has been with us at the wedding as well of course, maybe I should have pointed that out (will add it), she plans to marry Lavender in the summer. Also changelings will...
No use in writing it twice...
Thanks for reminding me, it will be in the chapter within a few hours.

9158143
kk thinks for the up date.

9158162
It's in now.

You did it again u made me have feels!! Ty I look forward to more and I do hope there will be but if it all ends here then know that you have a fan throw and throw. Until the next store!

9158303
Thanks a lot.

9158131
I remember the Cadence part but I thought there was something else regarding Lyra as well. It has been awhile since I last re-read book two so my memory may be off.

9163518
Well I guess I have to read book two again as well.

Something tells me her changes won't stop on shapeshifting splotches under her skin. Will be waiting for the next book.

9214503
Right now I haven't planned to do another book but this to be the end of the story.
... But I said that before and did continue anyway, so let's see.

9217360
Well, you indeed can do this. It just feels incomplete like this. Hope one day you'll find an inspiration to write 4th book... and a few more. ^_^

“Of course it would have been nice if my parents were here to get to know my bride and to attend the ceremony.”

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but her parents (and anyone she ever had even a passing relationship with) are probably dead right now. And if not, then probably in prison for treason or something. I wouldn't put it past Stella!Earth.

Well, I have to say - the series was off to a very rocky start, but the final chapter here is quite decent, actually. It still does a lot of "telling" instead of "showing" (a major issue all throughout the series), and does feel rushed a little bit... but it feels as if, by the end of the third book, you managed to finally even out.

The backstory and the characters are both interesting, and I wouldn't be lying if I said I'd like to see a fourth book at some point. And perhaps, one day, you might feel like rewriting the first two (the first one desperately needs attention) as well.

In any case, despite the shortcomings, you did manage to tell an interesting story. With (quite!) a bit more work, this story could really shine.

Besides, you never explained the entire Cadenza thing, and it's obvious to anyone with a brain that Stella is descended from changelings somehow - I'm sure she has some changeling genes in her, they were just dormant (well, apart from that thing with Viola*) until she arrived at Equestria and got exposed to quite a number of things.

Your story is, quite obviously, not finished yet.

Also, ponies do herds... Wouldn't that be interesting to explore? ;]


* I wouldn't be suprised to find Viola and Stella are somehow related, actually - very distant relatives, perhaps, but she also seems to have had the Gift...

Login or register to comment