• Published 15th Oct 2017
  • 1,858 Views, 250 Comments

For science - Book three - Znegil



Much changes as Chrysalis moves into the library so our pair can "research" her and find a way for the changelings to fit into pony society. Meanwhile, a new threat emerges.

  • ...
14
 250
 1,858

18 Test subject

“So do you want to start with the fangs or the goo producing glands?”, Chrysalis asked us.

“What's special about your fangs?”, Twilight asked.

“They are very similar to snake fangs, there is a little hole at their end that is connected to the area above them where the sleeping poison is produced.”

She opened her mouth wide to show off her fangs. I stepped closer to look at them in detail, up close they looked pretty menacing. She was sniffing.

“Is this fear or excitement I'm smelling?”, she asked with a grin that showed off her fangs even more.

“Let's say they look pretty dangerous up close.”, I replied. “You got your magic back, shouldn't you know how I feel?”

“Well, I would have to use an active spell for that, and I don't want to scare you by using magic right away.”, she said and took a step back.
“Besides, I think I'm fine without knowing exactly what my… friends are thinking.”

I was a bit surprised by that, but I knew very well what she meant. “Yeah, I feel the same way. I hope to get more control over my ability soon to give my friends their privacy back.”

“Do all creatures react the same way to your sleeping poison?”, Twilight continued to ask and chased away the gloomy feelings I suddenly felt.

“Yeeees… normally I can calculate the time before my victim falls asleep pretty exact by the estimated body weight and where I bite them. The only exception are dragons, which scales are too thick to bite through… and Stella.”

“What's the difference in Stella's reaction?”, Lyra asked.

“It had taken much longer than I had expected, she should have been asleep at least twice as fast.”

“Have you taken into account that she is much heavier than a pony the same size?”, Twilight asked.

“Hey!”, I complained.

“It's just a fact you have mentioned before.”, Twily defended herself. “You told me many times how incredible light our bodies are.”

Chrysalis smiled. “Yes, I have used a spell on her before to figure out her weight, I don't like unknown variables in my plan. I knew she was pretty heavy, but it doesn't explain her much-delayed reaction.”

I was huffing. “Firstly, I'm not heavy. My weight is exactly within the average weight of all humans in Equestria.”

“That's just cheating.”, my marefriend complained.

I ignored her objection and felt pretty good with this loophole I had discovered.
“Secondly…”, I continued. “It should be expected my body would react differently since I'm from another world.”

“That brings me to the different goo’s I can produce.”, Chrysalis told us.
“I can show and tell you about all of them and their effect on all creatures… except for their possible effect on Stella. ”

She had a huge grin on her face and I knew exactly why, she exploited Twilight's love for tests.

“A test series!”, my marefriend shouted with sparkling eyes. “We have to find out how Stella reacts to these.”

“Waa… Wait a minute.”, I tried to calm her down. “These could be harmful to me.”

“No need to worry.”, Chrysalis told us with a victorious grin. “Now that I have my magic back, I can neutralize any of my produced substances instantly if you feel any negative influence.”

“That sounds perfect.”, Twilight stated.

All of her skepticism towards Chrysalis seemed to be gone, wiped away by her love for science and experiments.

“You can't be serious?!”, I shouted.

“Pleeeaaase.”, Twilight begged. “This way I can link the ‘human’ paper I wrote about you to the ‘changeling’ paper. I always dreamed about cross-referencing different kinds of research I did.”

“One of my additional abilities as a Şahzadə is: I can make my goo taste anything I want to, so it can blend in with food or drinks better. I can make it taste like strawberries for you.”

Twilight begged me with big eyes. “See, it will taste like strawberries.”

She used her best puppy-dog-eyes but this time that wouldn't work on me.

We sat in my lab and there was a row of filled vials with different colored goo before me. I couldn't believe I was actually doing this… the things I did for my marefriend.

I was able to convince Chrysalis to ‘fill’ these vessels in the next room so I would not see her spitting the goo into them. It hadn't helped much since I could imagine pretty much how it must have looked.

With a smug grin Chrysalis handed me the first vial filled with some green stuff.

“This is the stasis goo you have seen before, all changelings can produce it. It can be used to immobilize a victim by gluing it to the ground, or if it covers the whole body and the respiratory tract of the victim they fall into a deep slumber. This isn't much different from hibernation, the heart and breathing rate massively drops. It's the state you have found Lyra in. Air can pass this goo very easily so the victim won't suffocate. It dissolves within a week if it isn't replenished… I made it taste like apples for you.”

I held it between thumb and index finger and stared at it. Twilight sat next to me watching me closely a scroll and quill ready to write down anything she noticed. Lyra wasn't far away either and seemed just happy with something interesting to happen, she didn't take her eyes off me so she wouldn't miss a detail.

I closed my eyes and took a sip of the sample… it did indeed taste like applesauce.

“I feel quite cold”, I said after a few seconds.

“Are you sure you aren't sleepy?”, Chrysalis asked confused.

I waited for another minute.

“No, I'm not sleepy at all. It feels like I was sitting outside in the snow.”, I explained to them.

“That's strange.”, Chrysalis stated. “Aside from changelings every other creature sleeps within moments after consuming some of this.”

“What's the reaction of changelings to it?”, Lyra asked.

“There is no reaction or else we would fall asleep while making it.”

“Fascinating…”, Twilight wrote everything down.

Chrysalis horn lid up and the cold feeling went away. She handed me the next vial containing a blue liquid. “This one we call ‘whisperer’ and can only be produced by Şahzadə. It makes the victim open to suggestions… like a mild form of hypnosis. I removed all taste from this.”

“I guess that's quite handy when trying to feed on ponies.”, my marefriend commented.

She gave a lewd smile and answered: “After this, it's usually enough to suggest a ‘private place to get to know each other’ followed by some bedroom-eyes. Works for mares and stallions.”

“And then… you have sex with them?”, Lyra asked, her voice was shaking.

“No, usually not. It's enough to cuddle with them for a while and if necessary take the form of someone they are really in love with… but it's not like I hadn't before if I'm really into them.”

“Did we…”, Lyra wasn't able to finish the sentence.

“No, I just used Bon Bon’s form to cuddle a bit with you, that produced enough energy to keep me going for nearly a week.”, she replied in a surprisingly soft voice. “You got pretty grabby towards my butt, but I was able to calm you down a bit.”

Lyra showed a slight blush. “Yeah, that sounds like me. Thank you… for telling me… and not doing more.”

“You're welcome… I guess.”, Chrysalis clearly was unsure how to reply to that.

I looked at the blue liquid inside the vail again. I was a bit hesitant to try this because of the suggested effect, but I reminded myself that Twilight and Lyra would stop her is she tried something crazy with me… well Twilight would, if it was something funny I had my doubts about Lyra.

Carefully I took a few sips from the vial, it was an odd experience since there really wasn't any flavor to this. I tried to sense if there was any change.

After about a minute Chrysalis spoke up.
“I'm sure you're pretty thirsty, maybe we should go to the library and drink something.”

“No, I'm good. We should just get this over with.”, I replied.

Chrysalis looked surprised. “I had expected this would work on you. Guess there is no effect.”

“Nothing I notice so far.”, I said. “Let's wait a bit longer just to be sure”

After five more minutes there was still nothing I noticed. Chrysalis used her magic to neutralize it just in case so we wouldn't get cross-reactions with the next sample.

There was only one vial left, it contained a red goo that almost looked like it was glowing.

“This last thing is something crucial to our race and it can be produced by every changeling. We put some of our stored energy into this goo, that's why it's referred to as ‘love juice’... not to be confused with… well you know. It is used to feed our babies and to heal wounded changelings.” Chrysalis paused to show a big grin.
“Other creatures than changelings get pretty sick from drinking it, but on the plus side, I made this taste like strawberries for you.”

She used her magic to let the vial levitate in front of me.

“Are you ready to try my love juice?”, she asked smiling.

I heard a snicker from Lyra, while Twilight looked up from her scroll and didn't seem to understand why my assistant was laughing.

I just rolled my eyes and drank up the whole thing.

There was a warmth spreading through my body from the moment the strawberry flavored goo went down my throat. I paused for a few more moments, waiting for the sickening effect, but it never arrived.

“I must say this feels pretty amazing, warm and cozy. Like a hot bath while there is snow outside.”, I told them. “I don’t feel any negative effects.”

While Twilight immediately wrote everything down, Chrysalis looked downright shocked from my statement.

“A warmth that spreads through your whole body?”, she asked with a strange look on her face.

“Yeah, exactly. How do you know?”, I replied.

She pulled my arm close to her.

“What's the matter?”, I asked. “Why do you *AAAHH*!”

She had used one of her fangs to give my arm a cut.

“Are you crazy?!”, I shouted. “What was that about?”

She didn't reply but instead held onto my arm and watched it closely. I followed her gaze and to my surprise I saw the cut heal within a few seconds.

“What… what is happening?”, I stuttered.

“What you described sounded exactly like a changelings reaction on the ‘love juice’.”, Chrysalis explained. “I wondered if it had the same healing effect as well.”

“Wasn't there a less painful way to find it out?”, I complained.

“Don't be a baby. It was just a little cut and I wanted to know for sure right now.”

Twilight was writing so fast I was sure her quill would catch fire at any moment.

“Are these all the things you can produce?”, Lyra asked in an attempt to disarm the situation.

Chrysalis slowly turned towards her.
“No, there is also a kind of goo we use to build stuff, but after first contact with air it hardens within very little time, it would kill her if she tried to drink that. It gets nearly as hard as amber.”

As she turned back she got a glimpse of the clock on the lab wall. “I guess we have to end this for now. I don't have much time to get ready to pick up Lavender and I want to look my best when she sees me again. Let's continue with the rest of my body next time.”

"Ok, let's do it that way.", I replied. "I have to get into some new clothes as well. Would it be okay if we all have lunch at the restaurant together after picking her up?"

"Sure, let's do this.", Chrysalis answered and left the room.

Twilight had finally finished writing and was drooling with shining eyes. “Celestia will love my next letter…”