• Published 15th Oct 2017
  • 1,867 Views, 250 Comments

For science - Book three - Znegil



Much changes as Chrysalis moves into the library so our pair can "research" her and find a way for the changelings to fit into pony society. Meanwhile, a new threat emerges.

  • ...
14
 250
 1,867

21 Inner beauty

I was in an extremely good mood as I walked down the stairs from our room, which wasn't surprising considering what Twilight and I had done up there. To my surprise, I found Chrysalis just leaving the kitchen with a large glass of milk.

“Lavender is very thirsty.”, she told me when she noticed my questioning look. “She isn't yet used to have so much physical activity again.” She showed a big grin.

“About that…”, I stopped her. “You should talk to Twilight, she can show you her ‘bubble of silence’ spell. We wouldn't want to disturb our neighbors.”

“So you heard her? I expected as much, she is quite loud.”, she replied. Her grin widened even more. “Were you aroused from hearing it?”

“What? I… No!”, I stammered. How could she just ask me something like this?

She came close and sniffed. “You're lying.”, she told me and looked quite happy.

“Wait, you can't yet know how I smell when I'm lying.”, I replied defective.

“I do know now.”, she answered laughing. “Twilight was quite loud as well.”

I hadn't realized that they would be able to hear us as well since we had been in the same bubble. I guess my horny mind had been distracted by other stuff.

“Okay, you got me.”, I admitted. “But you don’t have to be so blunt about it.”

Her laughing transformed into a sigh.”Believe me, if you lived as long as me, there is nothing more boring than polite talk.You had every possible polite conversation for at least twenty or a hundred times, sometimes it’s too much and I have to say something unexpected, something new. At least I have been able to play different characters over time, I don’t understand how Celestia does it. Being princess of Equestria for more than a thousand years, she must be bored out of her mind.”

I had never thought about it this way…

“Now please excuse me.”, she continued. “I have to get my marefriend rehydrated again so I can make her scream a bit more.” she stuck out her long tongue, formed it into a ‘w’-shape and turned it from side to side.”

“I have to say that does look quite impressive.”, I said and was actually in awe of her display of tongue control.

“Well, there must be some advantage for her for being in a relationship with a monster.”, she said and moved on.

I grabbed the only thing still within my reach, her tail, which instantly stopped her.

“No!”, I addressed her. “Don't refer to yourself this way ever again, not even as a joke. There was a time some ponies called me this, not to my face but I know they did. If you don't stop, others won't stop calling you that either.”

There was a moment of silence between us and she didn't turn towards me when she replied: “I understand what you're trying to tell me… thank you.”

I let go of her and she slowly walked up the stairs to her room.

I was surprised how easily I was still triggered by being different. I tried to chase away these thoughts but had a hard time doing so. I missed having other people around and it was strange to exist in a world that was made for ponies.

I sighed. There was no reason to think about things that couldn't be changed anyway. I opened a drawer and took a pretty large amount of bits from the ones Celestia had sent to me. I had decided there was enough time to take a little detour before visiting Fluttershy and Dashie.

I opened the door and stepped into the sun of a beautiful winter day, with Rarity's new winter clothing it was even more fun to walk through the snow.

I was only a dozen feet away when I heard Twilight shout: “What?! Oh no!”

I stopped and felt into our connection. Panic but no sign of pain or despair. I waited for a few more seconds to see if she would call out for me, but nothing happened.

‘I'm pretty sure she only noticed she forgot to double check one of her lists.’, I thought to myself and moved on.

The little bell of the jewelry rang as I entered. The pony behind the counter looked at me surprised, I did notice he was one of the few who hadn't been on my welcome party back then.

“H… Hello. How may I help you?”, he asked.

“I'm looking for wedding rings.”, I told him. It felt strange to say it out loud.

He looked as if I had asked him to swallow a goldfish. “For you?”, he asked very politely but to my dismay, I felt his disgust as I had unconsciously used my ability.

I felt anger rise inside me but decided to push it away. This was, of course, the only jewelry in Ponyville and it would be difficult to get rings elsewhere on such short notice.

I switched off my ability and put on my best fake smile. “Yes, for me and a unicorn mare.”

He was silent for a moment.

“Do you have bits?”, he finally asked.

“Yes, plenty.”, I replied and put a big purse on the counter.

He sighed after a few more moments of silence.

“And where are you planning to wear your ring?”, he asked while he scanned my body.

“On this finger.”, I replied and showed it to him up close.

“Sweet Celestia… these things are tiny.”
He used a little piece of yarn to measure the size of it.

“Very well.”, he stated after writing it down on a note. “Just look around. Any ring you can see here can be changed in size to fit for a unicorn’s horn or… your special needs.”

I started to look at the neatly arranged rows of rings in their displays, looking for something Twilight or I would like. I preferred simple jewelry and found a golden ring with three tiny diamonds in no time, but to find the perfect ring for Twilight was a much harder task.

I had looked through rows and rows of rings when one caught my eye that was… different than the others. I took it out and inspected it in detail. All the other rings jewels were perfect in color but this one… I looked closer. It had a white gem but there was some purple in the middle of it that looked like a shooting star to me and reminded me of the pendant I had gifted Twilight shortly after we met.

“This one is quite cheap because of its color imperfection. It's the work of my apprentice, she couldn't ruin much with it. I wouldn't advise to use it as a wedding ring.”

“No.”, I replied. “It's perfect.”