• Published 13th Oct 2017
  • 560 Views, 4 Comments

My Little Dungeons and Ponies - Utopianking



The stories of our favorite ponies, recreated through elves and dwarves (and a few other races).

  • ...
 4
 560

Session 1: A Nightmare Awakens

“Once upon a time, in the land of Dryadalis there were two sisters who ruled the land. The elder was born of the angels, and was a great mage and diplomat. The younger was born of the demons and was a powerful warrior. With their compassion and might, the sisters maintained harmony.”

Shining Armor looked down at Twilight Sparkle and the baby dragonborn on her lap. The high elf girl squeals at her favorite story.

“This is a great story, Spike,” she tells the dragonborn.

“Be quiet so he can hear the rest,” Shining replies with a soft smile, “Unfortunately, the peaceful people of the land began to shun the younger sister for her heritage and more combative ways. Over time, she began to resent her older sister for the attention she had. The noble paladin was consumed by her unholy nature and fell, becoming the NIGHTMARE MOON!”

Shining put out the candle and created the illusion of lightning. Spike squealed at this.

“Nightmare Moon vowed that she would destroy her sister and claim the throne of Dryadalis for herself. Reluctantly, the elder sister most powerful magic known to the world, the Elements of Harmony. Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister, and banished her permanently in the moon. The elder sister took full control of Dryadalis and harmony has been maintained ever since.”

-Present Day-

An older Twilight Sparkle puts down her old book and smiles. Then a curious look appears on her face. She looks around the library she’s in looks at one of the high shelves. Murmuring a quick incantation, a spectral hand appears in front of her. It flies up and starts to pull books off the shelf and puts them in front of her.

Twilight picks up a book and smirks, “Perfect. Predictions and Prophecies.” She flips through the book until she comes to a picture of the moon with a woman’s face. “The Mare in the Moon. A powerful warrior sealed within the moon. They vowed that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid on their escape and they will destroy the world!”

Twilight runs up to the balcony of her tower and looks out across the courtyard. In the courtyard, a brass-scaled dragonborn with a purple and green gi and a human with an orange gi are fighting. The fighters punch and kick at each other, with each dodging and blocking the other’s blows. The dragonborn raises a foot and kicks the human in the stomach, knocking him down.

“Spike!” Twilight calls, “Can you come up here?”

Spike helps his opponent up and they bow to each other. Spike runs back into the library and cracks his neck.

“What’s going on, Twilight?” Spike asks as he stretches out his arms, “Did you get that present for Moondancer’s party?”

“I… was going to do that,” Twilight replies with a blush, “But we have something more important to deal with! I have reason to believe that Nightmare Moon is going to return after being imprisoned for a thousand years.”

Spike picks up the books and frowns, “These are just old legends.”

“These legends have a grain of truth. This year will be the thousandth Solstice Celebration. Princess Celestia will have been reigning for that long. We should at least follow up on this.”

Spike sighs, “Fine. Give me a minute.” Spike rummages through Twilight’s messy desk and pulls out a quill and some parchment, “Shoot.”

“Dear Princess Celestia, my studies have led me to believe that we are on the precipice of disaster – Spike, you know how to spell ‘precipice, right?”

“Of course I do Twilight. Been doing this for years.”

“Right. Now – For you see, the mythical Woman in the Moon is in fact Nightmare moon, and she’s about to return to Dryadalis and destroy it. Something must be done to make sure that this terrible prophecy does not come true. I await your quick response. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.”

Spike finishes writing the message and rolls it up.

“Send it, Spike!”

“Now? The princess is really busy with preparations for the Celebration. Maybe we shouldn’t disturb her.”

“Spike, if I’m right then Nightmare Moon is coming back the same day as the Celebration! It is imperative that we warn Princess Celestia right away!”

“Fine.” Spike breathes green flame on the scroll and the smoke floats away. “There we go. I wouldn’t hold your breath th-” Spike clutches his chest and belches out some flame. The flame turns into a scroll.

“See? I knew she would want to take immediate action.”

Spike clears his throat, “My dearest, most faithful student Twilight. I applaud you for your diligence. I request your presence in my office chambers. Use this letter as an invitation.”

-Celestia's Office-

Twilight and Spike stand outside an ornate door. Two elvish guards stand beside the door and one knocks on the door.

“Enter,” a melodic voice says from the other side.

The door opens and Twilight and Spike step into a large office. One wall is covered in a bookshelf. In the center of the room is an ornate wooden desk. Behind the desk is a large, circular window. In front of the window stands a tall woman with lightly rainbow hair and a golden, flowing dress.

“You wished to see me, Princess?” Twilight nervously says.

Princess Celestia turns around and smiles, “Hello, young Twilight. Thank you for coming.”

“Thank you for inviting me. But what are we going to do about Nightmare Moon?”

Celestia glances over to a suit of golden armor, “Nightmare Moon’s return has been a concern of mine for a while. I have been making preparations, but I have a special mission for you.”

Twilight straightens up and smooths out her robe, “Anything for you, Princess.”

Celestia walks over to Twilight, standing about two feet taller than her student, and puts a hand on her shoulder. “Twilight, I need you to find fighters who are capable of assisting you in retrieving the Elements of Harmony and using them to defeat Nightmare Moon.”

Twilight pales, “By the goddess. Are you sure that I’m capable of this? Shouldn’t you send soldiers to do this?”

“I will be bringing the Bolt Guard with me, but mobilizing large amounts of soldiers around a holiday will cause a panic. Besides, the Elements are a backup plan. Please have faith in me.”

Twilight inhales deeply, “I will.”

“Thank you. With the Celebration in Cadia, there are a few people who can help. There is a ranger gaining some reputation in the town. And I know the Applesteel Matriarch. One of her grandchildren can act as a capable fighter. If things go poorly, please take whomever you can to the old castle. And try not to cause a panic.”

“I will, Princess.”

“Thank you, Twilight. I’m counting on you.”

-To Cadia-

The next day, Twilight and Spike are on a pegasus-pulled carriage with a wood elf.

“Are we only visiting the ranger and the Applesteels?” Spike asks as he looks out over the quickly-moving landscape.

Twilight looks up from her book, “All the books on the Elements say that there are six. I think we should find as many skilled fighters as we can, but we should be fine with the four of us. I hope that I’ll be able to study up more on the Elements before we face off.”

“Well, it’s a good thing the Princess set us up in a library.”

The chariot lands on the edge of town and the pair step out. Spike pulls a dagger from his traveling clothes and starts to sharpen his claws while Twilight instructs the driver to take their things to the local library. Spike pulls a quarterstaff with silver tips and carvings down the middle from the chariot and tosses it to Twilight. After that, they make their way down the dusty road to the Applesteel farm.

Twilight and Spike walk through the ancient apple trees until they come to a farm house and barn. In front of the house is a large group of dwarves. A dwarf woman with a long, blond ponytail notices them and runs over.

“Hey there, strangers,” the dwarf says as she holds out her hand, “Jaquelin Applesteel, but most folks call me Apple Jack.”

Twilight takes the hand and shakes, “Twilight Sparkle. This is my friend, Spike. We’re here on some business for Princess Celestia.”

“Ah, we don’t get many of you folks down here. I’m guessin’ this is for the festival.”

“Of course. I was wondering if I could speak to Mary-Ann Applesteel.”

Apple Jack squints at Twilight but shrugs, “Sure thing. Come on.”

As Apple Jack and Twilight start to walk towards the house, the younger children notice Spike and run over to him. They drag the wide-eyed dragonborn over to a table and start talking away to him. Twilight and Apple Jack walk over to the porch, where an elderly dwarf woman is sitting and rocking on a chair.

“Madam Applesteel?” Twilight says as she kneels. She holds out a hand with a signet ring on her finger, “The princess wanted me to speak with you.”

Mary-Ann chuckles as she sees the ring, “It’s not every day you have one of you pointy-ears asking us for help.” She sighs contentedly, “I guess Ol’ Tia is finally taking that favor.”

“Yes, there is a situation with…” Twilight glances at Apple Jack.

“I know about Ol’ Moony. Celestia gave us the farm with the condition we help out today.”

“Granny, what’s going on?” Apple Jack asks.

Mary-Ann looks at her granddaughter, “Dear, you are the best fighter in our clan. We need you to help keep a promise your great grandpappy made a long time ago. A demon woman is gonna show up tomorrow and you need to assist miss Twilight here with beating her.”

Apple Jack swallows and tries to hold back her fear, “Granny? Are you certain?”

“I am.”

Apple Jack claps her hands, “I understand. For the Applesteel clan and for Cadia.” She turns to Twilight, “But first, you and your lizard buddy are staying for brunch.

-One delicious meal later-

Twilight and Spike wander down the main street of town. Twilight is holding her stomach through her wizard’s robes while Spike is just stretching his arms.

Twilight groans and looks around, “Well, the Applesteels are on our side. Now where is that ranger? I think her name is supposed to be Rainbow Dash.”

“Present!” a voice calls.

A blue and black shape falls off the roof of a nearby home and Twilight and Spike look at it. The blob stands and is revealed to be a genasi woman. Her skin is a pale blue and her hair is a vibrant rainbow. In her hand is a bottle.

“I’m Rainbow Dash,” the woman says, swaying a bit, “I keep the town safe from the nasty stuff in that forest.”

Twilight wrinkles her nose at the scent of booze coming from the genasi, “Clearly. I was told that you were a very capable fighter. Perhaps my information was incorrect.”

Rainbow tosses her bottle into an alley, “The Hell it is! I was just pregaming for the whole Celebration thing. Give me anything and I’ll hit it for you.”

Twilight smirks and the carvings on her staff glows as an electric blue orb appears in her hand, “Pull.”

Twilight tosses the orb into the air. Rainbow pulls the longbow from her back and almost instantly nocks an arrow. She aims and fires at the orb. When the arrow meets the orb, it explodes with a lightning blast.

Spike nods, “Impressive.”

Rainbow returns the bow to her back, “You’re damn right. Now, you said someone told you about me. Is there a job offer?”

Twilight pulls out a small bag, “There may be a threat to the world during the Celebration. Will you help us handle it?”

Rainbow’s eyes sparkle at the sight of the bag, “Will do. I’ve been around this town for far too long to let it go down the hole. Just give me the word and I’ll help you out. Now, I’m gonna get a nap in.”

Rainbow leaps onto an overhead cloud and lies down. As she lands on the cloud, a large amount of water drops from it and soaks Twilight. She looks up at the cloud and a blade of ice appears in her off hand.

“You don’t need to knife Dashie,” a high-pitched voice says.

Twilight and Spike look down to see a dwarf woman with pink, curly hair.

“I’m Pinkie Pie,” the dwarf says, “Welcome to Cadia! My friend, Rarity can help you out with this. Come on!”

Pinkie drags Twilight by the arm and pulls her towards town hall. Inside the hall there is a woman in a long dress looking at some ribbon. Spike come in behind Twilight and his eyes widen.

“So beautiful,” Spike whispers.

“That’s Rarity for you.”

The blue-haired woman turns around and smiles, “Hello there da-oh my! What happened with you?”

“She stood under Rainbow Dash,” Pinkie replies.

“Oh. Well, I can help you with that. Come on!”

Rarity drags the mentally broken Twilight to her boutique. She takes Twilight behind a screen and helps her change.

“What brings you around here?” Rarity asks.

“I’m, uh, was sent here by Princess Celestia,” Twilight replies as Rarity pulls a bodice tight around her.”

“You’re from the capital? Oh, the glamour, the sophistication. I have always dreamed of living there. Ha naaglareb othrond.

Twilight’s eyes widen in surprise, “Sin ped Sindarin?

“The elvish tongue is such a beautiful language. Much like those who practice it.”

On the other side of the screen, Spike and Pinkie are talking to each other.

“I haven’t seen such a beautiful woman,” he says.

“It looks like you’ve fallen under Rarity’s spell too,” Pinkie replies, “She’s quite a beauty.”

Pinkie pulls out a lyre and starts to sing a song before Rarity tells her that it isn’t the time. As Rarity helps Twilight, Spike subtly licks his lips. After a few minutes, Twilight comes out from behind the screen wearing a blue blouse over a purple dress.

“This looks pretty good,” Twilight says, “So, Tuesday at one good?”

“That sounds great. See you then.”

Twilight and Spike say goodbye to Rarity and Pinkie as they leave.

Next morning

Twilight and Spike stand inside the town hall, watching people file into the foyer. The crowd is mostly made up of dwarves and humans, though what elves are around are wood elves. A few guards are scattered around the area, but the atmosphere is relaxed.

Twilight looks at the moon and sees four starts around it glow. Then the image of a face on the moon disappears. She frowns and her hand sparks.

After about an hour, the mayor of the town stands on a balcony, “For the rising of the sun, let’s look at our stellar princess, Princess Celestia.”

After a few moments, Rarity comes out from behind the curtain, “She’s gone!”

Suddenly, there is the temperature of the room plummets. A cloud appears over the room and solidifies into the shape of a winged, armored woman. Her jet-black armor sparkles in the moonlight as she laughs.

“Hello, creatures of Dryadalis,” the woman cackles. She looks around and sees the scared, yet confused people staring at her. The guards rush at her, but she waves her hand and they all pass out. “Oh, does my crown not count after my thousand-year absence? Have you forgotten your true ruler? Did you not see the signs?”

Twilight steps forward and holds out her staff, “I know who you are, Nightmare Moon.”

“Well, then you know why I’m here. You shall be the example for my new empire.”

Nightmare raises her hand and throws a ball of black fire at her.

Author's Note:

I am aware that Fluttershy wasn't introduced during this chapter. I have a plan for her next chapter. And if I use elvish in this series, it'll be a Tolkien dialect.

Comments ( 4 )

Like the story a lot, loved D&D ever since I was a little kid. Keep it up!

Great story! Love seeing the world as told through D&D!

If you need an OC, let me know.

Login or register to comment