• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 2,665 Views, 11 Comments

When Harmony Dies - Symphony



When Chaos reigns, one last letter is sent.

  • ...
5
 11
 2,665

The Letter

Equestria is no longer the utopia it once was. After the third rise of Discord, he wasn’t the joker he once was. He had changed into something far more sinister in order to overthrow harmony in a last-ditch effort. Many ponies tried to get in his way and stop him once and for all. All of them failed. Including the Elements of Harmony. Nopony could have seen this coming, nopony could have done something stop him this time. But we tried. For nothing.


I am starting to suspect that I am the last sane pony in this part of Equestria, as everypony else has become the grey hue like the last time he broke free. They have turned into shells of what they once were, and I am slowly losing hope for harmony to prevail. Something in the back of my head tells me that there is no reason in trying to rebel against the chaos spreading throughout Equestria. I refuse to listen to those insane whispers. This has to stop.


That is why I, Twilight Sparkle have decided to make one last stand against Discord and his chaos. My friends, even Spike turned against me after the last attempt to stop him. Discord had told me that it would be useless to fight back against his will. I don’t care what he says, the Magic of Friendship can cross all borders. We had shown that the last time we defeated him. I just hope that we can do the same thing again.


I do have my doubts on whether this will work or not, but I have crossed the point of caring after struggling against the spreading chaos for weeks on end. It has to stop once and for all. It just has to. I have lost too much to have any compassion for that wretched draconequus. If I ever get my hooves on him...


In case you would be wondering, my friends, well, former friends were all changed by Discord after we had collected the Elements of Harmony and were about to face him. Instead of taking out them one by one, he used just one kind of shockwave spell against us. I was barely able to raise a barrier around me, my friends weren’t that lucky.


All their emotions, feelings, conscience and compassion just dissappeared after the spell took effect. Even Spike was lost to the spell. Spike roamed around on all fours occasionally growling. All the while he was glaring daggers at us. Especially me. I grabbed him by his shoulders and shook him, pleading him to regain his sense. He bit me.


Spike, the baby dragon who I raised almost like he was my own child, bit me. Needless to say, I was shocked. The last thing I saw from him was that he was running into the Everfree forest on his own. Discord had turned him into an animal by enhancing his natural instincts, if I would have to guess.


I am writing to you now Princess Celestia because I have so many things to say to you, and not nearly enough time left to do so. I know that you have been placed inside the reinforced walls in Canterlot for your safety but hopefully, this letter will come to you when I use the spell you taught me when I was younger.


I would like to start with thanking you for everything you have ever done for me, I would have never expected my life to turn into this wild ride that it did. I sometimes think about how my life would have been if I hadn’t been your personal student. I know that it’s silly, but I still shudder at the thought of it. You were always amazing, you showed me the beauty of the sunset late in the evening that time when I had just moved into the castle and was still adjusting to the hectic life inside its walls.


If it weren’t have been for you, I would have never made the friends that I had after you sent me to Ponyville for the Summer Sun Celebration so many years ago. Goodness knows that I wouldn’t have been able to make so many good friends in Canterlot. So thank you for giving me that opportunity that I truly needed. You were always there when I needed you the most, and I can never thank you enough for those years.


Even when I made my mistakes, such as the Smarty Pants incident, you never yelled at me for doing such a thing. You just gave me another push in the right direction and allowed me to continue what I was doing. And you gave my friends also the honour of being able to send you their own findings of the Magic of Friendship.


As I’m writing this, Ponyville lies in utter destruction and chaos. I can’t leave the library at all, as Discord’s puppets had been instructed to find the Elements of Harmony and bring them to him alive. There was no need for them to be gentle, though. I am truly fearing for my life when I’m sitting here in the basement, scribbling this down on the last piece of parchment that I have. The door is barricaded and locked with magic. They can’t open the door, nor see it thanks to an illusion spell I used on it. The spell obscures the door from their vision by imitating the wall around it and changes it it to the same colour. I can still hear them walking around on the library floor, waiting for me to come forward and reveal myself. I have been in the basement for about two weeks.


I will teleport myself outside when I have finished this letter, which means that when you recieve this letter, Princess Celestia, I have begun my final stand against Discord. But this time, I don’t have any Elements of Harmony to aid me. I don’t have any friends giving me their support by smiling at me and just being there. There’s just me, and this chaos ends today. I don’t care if I’m putting myself in extreme danger, this is the last chance I will ever recieve to end this once and for all.


Thank you for making my entire life wonderful, and making it into a wild ride I will never forget. You were like a second mother to me, and now it’s time for me to repay you and Equestria.


This is it. This is when the New Equestria starts.


Your faithful Student now and always,

Twilight Sparkle

P.S. Tell my family that I’m sorry and that I love them. Especially Shining Armor for always being there for me.


A/N: This concept may be done to death, but I wanted to try something different with this one-shot. This was written with one hand, though. That can be a reason why the quality isn't top-noch.

Comments ( 11 )

Reminds me of One Last Letter by Aviators. :heart:

Still sad, though not the most moving thing I've ever read. Still quite good though, and an interesting outtake for the "what if" situation for Discord prevailing.:moustache:

929678
That song was an inspiration for me to write this. :twilightsmile:

I like it - wonder if someone could write a story about this.

930957
I was thinking of an epilogue to this containing the battle, but if someone feels like writing it, be my quest.

930976
No, the original author writing tends to match the actual letter. Besides, I'm terrible at writing - I just criticize :rainbowlaugh:. An epilogue would be cool.

EPILOGUE OF EPICNESS!!!!! :rainbowkiss:

Better than the other stories inspired by "One Last Letter". The others were abysmally depressing which the song is not. Well captured, I think.

BR

This is good. I liked it.

Write an epilouge!!!!!!:pinkiehappy: Spike!!!!:raritydespair: How could you bite Twilight!!!!:raritycry:

An epilouge would be awesome, because the story just feels..... incomplete. maybe a second one-shot? the final stand of harmony or something?

Login or register to comment