• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 587 Views, 8 Comments

Live Up To Myself - HazelGems



Moondancer and Sonata Dusk are two misfits in very different ways. If they want to find a place in the world, they're going to need each other's help

  • ...
 8
 587

Our Future is Bright

Things were seemingly normal after the test. It took a lot longer than they expected to finish it, but the results were going to be posted the same day. Sonata didn’t really say much on the ride home, and was quiet in the dorm too. Looks like the nervousness passed on to someone else. Rainbow tried to get her talking about getting her furniture for the dorm she’s totally going to have soon, but it was one sided. She was just silent, save for a few grunts and nods.

It was almost 5pm, when the results were approximately going to be emailed.

“Sonata, you do remember the password to the email we made together, right?” Moondancer asked.

“I do, but aren’t you going to be here for it?” Sonata said, a little frightened.

“I’m sorry, but I’m going to see the dean. There’s something I want to talk to him about. But I’ll be back soon. I promise.”

As she left, Dancer felt the sadness radiating from her friend, but this was something she had to do.

At a brisk pace, she was able to make it to the office before he left. She didn’t bother knocking on the door, letting herself in. Like last time, Discord was quickly putting away files into his briefcase, pausing the moment she came in. He shot her a disdainful look, but what else was new?

“I was hoping you would forget about this whole meaningless title thing by this point, but hey, life still continues to prove me wrong.” The dean said, taking a seat. “Now Ms. Dancer, I assume you’re here to gloat about succeeding, or to beg for a second chance. I’m personally hoping for option two.”

“It’s neither. I wanted to talk about Sonata. I don’t care about ‘winning’ right now; I want to focus on what happens to my friend and whether or not she gets to have that scholarship.”

“Do my ears deceive me? Are you doing something selfless for once? Isn’t this what people call a miracle?” He said with a devilish grin.

“Please, I’m being serious. I want a guarantee that my friend gets to come here. I’ll do anything it takes.”

“Anything? Even something completely ridiculous and demeaning?” Discord chuckled. He was completely enjoying this like an asshole.

“Yes.”

They looked each other in the eyes. As much as he stared right through her, she didn’t waiver. His smile faded, and he looked serious for once.

“Well then, what are her test scores? I want to know what I’ll be working with.” He genuinely asked.

“Oh, um, I don’t know them yet. They’re supposed to be posted at five.”

“Then I’ll be staying a little longer.”

Discord stood up and motioned for her to use his computer. She hesitantly got up to take up his offer. This had to be some kind of new mind fuck he was trying out, and she was the guinea pig. There was no way he would ever be this lenient.

Moondancer logged into the email account it would be coming in, waiting patiently for 5pm. It was a very uncomfortable wait; having an older man looking over your shoulder would do that to you. She eventually resorted to refreshing the page just begging for the results to come in.

And then they did.

All the fear and anxiety she had earlier came rushing back in the moment she saw it. Dancer had to practically force herself to open it, if not for her sake, then for the dean. As soon as she clicked it, she looked away with eyes closed. Discord however did see the results.

“Interesting.”

Interesting!? What the fuck does interesting mean right now!? There was no point in delaying the inevitable, opening her eyes. There was a flurry of words and numbers to skim through, but it became clear. She passed. Not only did she pass, but it was a perfect score.

“Oh my goddess.” Dancer whispered to herself.

“Well, it seems you were as good of a tutor as you said. I’m rightfully impressed by these results. I fully expect Ms. Dusk to enroll in this school as soon as she can.”

“You really mean it?”

“Surprising as it may be, I am a man of my word. I assume you still want me to name you valedictorian?”

“Well… no, I’m just happy that me and her will be going to the same college together, but I appreciate.”

“Hm, very well then, I believe this concludes our business. I’ll let you know what else needs to be done for enrollment, but for now I’ll be leaving.”

She didn’t need to be told twice, practically jumping up and running out the door. She had to hurry and see the look on Sonata’s face! The motivation of seeing the girl that matters the most to her being so happy helped her to ignore how tired all this running was making her. To see that smile that makes her feel warm. She was so happy she could practically…

Moondancer stopped right outside of the door into the dormitory. Why did it take her this long to admit it to herself? She was in love. The problem now was what the hell to do with it? Why did Rainbow had to be right? There wasn’t anything she could do about it just standing around, finally going in and climbing the stairs. She could tell she was getting closer because there was loud, happy yelling.

This was it. The moment she walks through that door, everything in her life was going to be drastically different. And that was great. She opened the door, and Sonata was jumping up and down the couch. Fluttershy and Treehugger were here too, enjoying the celebration.

“Dancer! I did it! I did it I did it I did it!” Sonata shouted joyfully, hopping down.

“I know, I was in the dean’s office showing him the results. You’re gonna enroll this coming semester.” Moondancer explained. “Congrats on passing.”

“Wow, I’m very glad all of this worked out in the end.” Fluttershy said.

“Yeah, we gotta celebrate an’ junk.” Treehugger suggested. “Lemme order some food to pick up.”

“Good idea, I’m gonna get some movies from my room we can watch.” Fluttershy told them.

“Make sure you get enough food for six, I’m gonna pick up Gilda from work right now.” Rainbow said to Tree.

All three of them left together, leaving her behind with Sonata. Looks like she had to sort her feelings sooner than expected. Well, there’s no time like the present.

“So, Sonata, there’s something I would like to confess. You see, when you spend a lot of time together with a very kind, beautiful person, you start to— “

Dancer was cut off by Sonata rushing to her side and kissing her. It completely caught her by surprise. It couldn’t have lasted more than 2 seconds, but it felt like forever before she pulled away.

“Gosh, I’ve been wanting to do that for a while.” Sonata said happily.

“But, but…” Dancer stammered.

“That’s what you wanted right?”

“Yes! But you didn’t let me finish! I had a whole monologue planned for this moment!”

“Ooops, do you wanna finish it then?”

“W-well, there’s no point to it now…” She mumbled, her face growing red, probably both from excitement and embarrassment. “Soooo, I don’t really know what to do now, honestly.”

“I know that girlfriends hold hands, kiss and send flowers and chocolates to each other, but I don’t know much more than that.” Sonata explained. “I never had a girlfriend before.”

“Um… do you want to figure it out together?”

“I’d love that. And… I love you.”

“I love you too!” Moondancer practically shouted. She’s never said that sentence before and wanted the first one to count. Maybe she overdid it.

The two of them sat down and talked for a bit, about their wants and needs, their aspirations and what’s next in their relationship. Soon all their friends came back, and they both broke the news to them toghether. Treehugger made a point that they had to celebrate twice as hard now. The rest of the night was just all of them talking, watching movies and eating take out.

The fun had to end eventually. Fluttershy and Treehugger left first since Flutters had to get up early in the morning. Gilda was last since her and Rainbow kept going on about what they have planned for the next game. She did leave eventually, and the three of them had to pick up the dorm afterwards.

Sonata did the sweeping while she and Rainbow had the kitchen.

“So, what was it about me reading too into things and probably being wrong?” Dash said snidely, wiping down the counters.

“Shut up, you were right once.”

Once cleaning was done, Rainbow headed straight to bed, and Sonata started setting up the futon. Moondancer lingered behind.

“Um, you know, you don’t have to sleep on this tonight.” Dancer said, a little sheepishly.

“I don’t? Where else could I sleep?”

“Well, uh, my room has a bed in it, and it’s not exactly small.”

“Oh?” Sonata said, a little confused. Then her eyes widened. “Oh! Duh! Yeah I wanna see your room.”

“Oh no, that’s true. I haven’t let you in it before.” She said a little mournfully.

“But now you can make up for it!” Sonata said with a little giggle.

Dancer nodded. “I guess we have a lot to make up for, but I have nothing but time for you.”

She motions for Dusk to come in, placing an index finger up to her mouth, pointing at Rainbow’s room. They quietly went inside, the door silently closing behind them.