• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 587 Views, 8 Comments

Live Up To Myself - HazelGems



Moondancer and Sonata Dusk are two misfits in very different ways. If they want to find a place in the world, they're going to need each other's help

  • ...
 8
 587

Giving It A Chance

Early in the morning Sonata went off to gain her citizenship, Moondancer stayed behind. Since Sunset Shimmer was going to be there. She didn’t want to risk her saying anything that would escalate things. Dancer also knew things would be awkward between her and Twilight. They spoke once when she came once to visit Rainbow out of the blue, but it was a stilted conversation. Maybe if she knew her and Rainbow were connected it would’ve gone better, but at the time it was a nasty surprise.

Instead of dwelling on the fun they would possibly be having without her, she instead put her thoughts on the curriculum. They’ve gotten through 7 years in about half the time, but the learning curve was worrying. The focus would have to be on core knowledge while trimming the fat at this rate. After all, who really needed to know about those extra states of matter anyways?

One thing that caught her attention was that Nightmare Night was five days from now. Sonata did express her desire to partake in this frivolous holiday. What would be the point in spending so much money on a costume that’ll only be worn for a few hours in one night? Then again, it does have its charms.

I wonder what Sonata would wear?


On Nightmare Night she scheduled them to study history, but started to scratch it off. Maybe they could have fun together that day.


Even as a kid, Moondancer didn’t celebrate Nightmare Night. Her parents didn’t bother to take her around as a child, and she didn’t really have friends to go out with either. Maybe her disinterest had to do with never really getting to experience it at all? Now’s as good a time as any to try it out. Good thing there was a seasonal store in the mall just for this occasion.

This was her first time being in a costume shop looking for one of her own, and the choices were overwhelming. Well, if you cut out all the costumes that are scanty and revealing that is. Basically, all the costumes that were prefaced with the word ‘sexy’ were a complete nope. She started to eye a fluffy bat costume that was modest and non-restrictive.

“Uh, hello?” Called out a very low, feminine voice.

Behind her was Fluttershy by her lonesome, wearing a pastel pink hoodie and white beanie. She smiled and waved when they met eyes.

“Hi?” Dancer said, taken aback by the surprise. “You’re not with someone?”

“Oh no, everyone I know already picked out their costumes. I haven’t yet because some of the masks here kinda scare me a little, especially the ones with the fake blood. I’m fine today though. I had no idea you liked to dress up around this time. I assumed you wouldn’t like to.”

“W-well you would correct in that assessment, eheh, but I felt experimental. But not that kind of experimental! I mean like a social experiment! Please forget every single thing I just said.”

Now Fluttershy was giggling at her. Her face was getting hot and now she just wanted to leave ASAP.

“I’m so sorry,” She said inbetween small laughs. “It’s just that you’re acting the same way Twilight did when we were all together on her first Nightmare Night.”

“I am…?” Moondancer muttered, looking at the floor.

Normally she felt bad being compared at all Twilight, but it didn’t really sting in this instance. Almost like they weren’t so vastly different like they were in her head.

“You were looking at this bat costume, right? I think it’ll look adorable on you.”

“Thank you.” Dancer said, picking it up from the rack. “Did you get anything yet?”

“I was looking for a werewolf costume. I thought it’d be a tad funny since I’m good with animals and I would sort of look like an animal. Do you want to help me look?”

“Yeah, of course I will.” She said, and actually meant it.

It was weird at first hanging out with an actual sociable person for once.

The two of them didn’t take long to find the other costume, though Fluttershy closed her eyes and needed her hand held when they came across the wall of masks. When they finished paying, Flutters suggested they get something to eat in the food court. Moondancer got a cheap burger while Fluttershy got the only vegetarian friendly meal available: bland salad.

“Rainbow just got done texting me that Sonata got approved. Isn’t that great?” Fluttershy informed her.

“Of course it is. If I was less inhibited, I’d be jumping for joy like a moron.”

“Why didn’t you go with them then, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Dancer did in fact mind, but she might as well talk it out with someone.

“It’s a little personal. I was kinda not looking forward to seeing Twilight and Sunset. I don’t feel like… I’m ready to see them yet? Does that make sense?”

“I think so. Twilight told us about how you both used to be friends as kids. She’s actually been wanting to hang out with you, but things have been busy with her school work.”

“Gee, I didn’t know.” Dancer said sardonically. “It’s probably for the best if nothing happens between us anymore. I’m just some person from her past and it should stay that way.”

Fluttershy didn’t have an answer for that, instead picking at her food in the silence. They made some small talk while finishing their meals before awkwardly going their own ways.

When she got back to her dorm, Rainbow and Sonata were already home, both in good spirits.

“Dancer! Dancer look at this!” Sonata shouted, practically shoving some documents in her face. “I’m a real-life person now!”

“That’s pretty great, I’m proud of you.” Moondancer told her with a smile.

“So you are capable of being a nice person. It’s a miracle.” Rainbow teased.

“Shut up.”

Sonata was practically beaming looking at her papers, and thanks to her education, she could probably understand everything on it. Dancer then realized she was still holding onto her bag, and remembered an important question.

“So, umm, are you guys doing anything on Nightmare Night?” She asked.

“We’re gonna go trick and treating!” Sonata said full of energy.

“She means trick OR treating. Sonny never done it before so we thought we could give it a shot.” Rainbow explained.

“But she’s kinda old for that, isn’t she?” Dancer brought up.

“The worst that’s gonna happen is an adult says no or a dirty look. There’s literally no reason not to try. Besides, look at her, what person can possibly say no to all of this.” She said, motioning to the girl on the couch.

Sonata was swinging her legs, moving her body to a song that only she could hear with a wide smile. Dancer had to admit, this girl had a child-like charm.

“Why are you even asking? Is it—Oh my gods you can’t be serious!” Rainbow blurted, lunging at the shopping bag, snatching it from the bookworm’s grasp before she could react.

“H-hey! Give that back!” Dancer shouted to no avail. Rainbow was the taller girl.

Dash was able to shake off her flailing long enough to peek inside the bag.

“I was right! I didn’t think you had it in you but this is legit.”

Rainbow took out the costume to show. Moondancer was beet red.

“Aww, it’s a bat costume. I love bats!” Sonata praised.

Dancer’s face got even redder.

“You know what, this was stupid. It was a stupid idea and I’m leaving.” She said

“Hold on, I’m sorry, I went a little far.” Rainbow told her, giving her the bag back. “You can come with us on Nightmare Night. It’ll probably look great on you too.”

“Do you mean it? You’re not gonna prank me or anything?” Moondancer said with hesitation.

“Cross my heart or hope to fly.” Dash declared, doing some silly hand gesture.

“Okay, I’ll come with you guys.”


“Oh my goodness, we gonna have tons of fun!” Sonata exclaimed, hopping onto Dancer.


The sun was gonna set on the final day of October, and the girls were all putting the finishing touches on their costumes for the night. The bat costume turned out to be pretty snug, but it completely covered her body with some slight furriness, which was a godsend given how cold it turned out to be. In a flight of whimsy, Dancer even put a little paint on her noise to complete the get-up. Adding the ears and wings as accessories and it was complete.

She got done earlier than the others, so she waited on the couch, anticipating the results. Rainbow Dash came out next, wearing metallic looking armor and a clear purple-tinted visor.

“What’s this supposed to be?”

“I’m going as the hero from my favorite action franchise, Explodabot. Specifically, his look from Explodabot 2: Anatomy of Explosions.” Rainbow explained, doing a pose that would probably mean something to fans.

“It’s unnecessarily over the top and needlessly flashy, so it perfectly fits you.” Dancer said, giving a chuckle.

“Laugh it up fuzzball, at least I put up more of an effort in my costume than you did.”

She was about to make up a comeback, but Sonata came in. She was dressed as a witch, complete with a large brimmed hat and broom. In fact, that was the broom they owned!

“How do I look?” Sonata asked the two of them.

“You, uh, y-you, you look, uh…”

“You look gorgeous as fuck.” Rainbow told her, cutting through Dancer’s stuttering.

“Awww, thank you! I brought my candy cauldron and I’m super ready to go trick is treating.”

“Someday you’ll get it right. Let’s get going then so we could meet up with Fluttershy. You’re coming, right?” Rainbow asked, opening the door.

“Oh, me, y-yeah, wait for me.” Moondancer told them, strolling out of the dorm.

After double checking her belongings, Rainbow turned of the lights and closed the door behind them.