• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 587 Views, 8 Comments

Live Up To Myself - HazelGems



Moondancer and Sonata Dusk are two misfits in very different ways. If they want to find a place in the world, they're going to need each other's help

  • ...
 8
 587

Never Stood A Chance

As soon as the professor dismissed the class, Moondancer quickly made her way across the campus. Today was the day she should finally have the results she was promised in the dean’s office. She scurried up several flights of stairs in the main building to reach the office. She wondered if it was intentional or coincidental that this man resided in the highest point in the university. He certainly seemed just the right amount of egotistical for that.

There wasn’t a secretary to greet her as soon she reached the floor. Of the many times she visited, the desk had remained empty. It makes sense though. You’d honestly have to be crazy to work with this man. Works for her though. Cuts out the middle man. Moondancer just let herself in like she always did.

The dean was inside, seemingly browsing on his computer. He was likely in his 50’s, his hair stark white, slick back into a ponytail, plus a goatee. He was wearing his usual tan suit with a dark red tie. The office itself was kind of weird. She noticed early on that there weren’t any photos in the room at all. Everything interesting this man owned was clustered on his desk, leaving the walls bare. There was a plant in the corner that was practically petrified. The first thing that really draws your attention though was the nameplate forged with fool’s gold.

Dean Discord

When she stepped in, the dean took noticed, clearly not happy.

“Ah, Ms. Dancer, my least favorite student. Here for the same thing you’ve bothered me for the last three months?” He said with a smug smile.

“Did you get the results or not, sir?” She replied curtly.

“You know, most colleges don’t even have a valedictorian. Its literally a useless status symbol that I’m sure you wanted purely for your ego. I just would like to make that clear.”

“Did you get them or not?” Moondancer said more assertively.

“Yes, I was just looking through it just now. I personally enjoyed these results. Would you like to hear them?”

“Of course!”

She sounded a little too excited for this, but she can’t help it. This will finally give her the recognition she rightfully deserved.

“Now, with regards to grades, you clearly stand out. Your GPA is practically perfect in every which way. Enough to make the most hard-ass of fathers proud.”

Finally, the praise she truly wanted. Granted, it’s from a completely reviled piece of garbage, but still! A genuine smile grew on her face.

“However, grades alone aren’t going to completely give you this position.”

And then the smile was gone.

“You see, Ms. Dancer, you had a bit of competition with another student. One who matched you in grades, but also worked with the local community and is highly regarded by many at this school. This person has proven to go above and beyond in their station to prove themselves as the model student.”

“S-seriously? Who?” Moondancer was afraid.

“Treehugger.”

It was as if her entire perception of reality had shattered. She just lost it.

“Are you FUCKING kidding me?!” She blurted out.

“Please Ms. Dancer, refrain from being profane.”

“Its MOONdancer! One word! And she’s a criminal! Don’t you know that she sells weed?!”

“Nice.”

“IT’S NOT NICE!”

She was breathing heavily and on the brink of hyperventilating. Her fists were clenched. She forced herself to control her breathing.

“Have you calmed down yet?” The dean asked monotonously.

“Not exactly.” She replied through clenched teeth. “Did you mess with the results?”

“Me? Granted, I absolutely would’ve given the chance, but I wasn’t the one who made the list. I asked an unbiased academic from another college to do this for me since I knew that would’ve been an issue. You are a picky person, after all. I even have his information so you can find him and question them yourself.”

This was unbelievable. This bastard covered all his bases as if he knew this would happen. All the effort she made since starting college was all for nothing. She wasn’t feeling well. Everything felt floaty.

“I-I need to leave. I think I need to lay down.” Moondancer said with a wavering voice.

“Yes, please do. The leaving part that is. I already need to figure out how to give the good news to Treehugger as it is.” The dean returned his attention to his desktop.

There was no point in staying any longer. She got up and shuffled her way out the door.


Sonata never really ‘hung out’ before. The only people she ever really had any connection to were her sisters, and they treated her like crap. When Rainbow Dash started making this thing called ‘small talk’ she was completely lost. She didn’t really have ‘interests’ she could think of aside from food.

“Wow, I guess there’s a lot I have to teach you, huh?” Dash told her.

It was true though, as embarrassing as it was to admit. It was easier to just follow along, to not have to think too deeply on anything and to leave that to others. When she got abandoned however, it was terrifying in the beginning, trying to survive with nothing at all. Sonata wished someone was willing to teach her things like Rainbow was back then. And turns out it was actually fun to learn!

“Wow, I didn’t know you could even do that!” Sonata exclaimed when she was shown that turning the tab of a soda around becomes a straw holder.

“Yup, my dad taught me that at a picnic once.” Dash said triumphantly.

Sonata had only been living with Rainbow and Moondancer for a bit more than a day, but so much has changed for her, and she didn’t want to stop.

“Okay okay, you gotta teach me how magnets work next! It has to be magic, right?”

Rainbow was happy to explain how everyday things functioned, with the help of the internet of course. Teaching Sonata the concept of the internet was honestly the hardest subject itself. On Monday afternoon, Fluttershy had come over to help out. It was kinda funny to Dash that Sonata was nervous around Fluttershy. It didn’t last long though, since she was fascinated with Flutters talking about animal facts.

“With it being the only mammal that can lay eggs, and its venomous foot spurs, a platypus truly is the strangest creature in nature.” Fluttershy ended her lecture with.

“Wooowwww.” Was all Sonata could muster.

All in all, it was a really fun and productive time for everyone. The girls were starting to discuss the process for Sonata to become a recognized citizen when Moondancer walked in. When they all turn, she had a confused look on her face. Her eyes were visibly puffy and red.

“What the hell is going on?” Dancer said, a hint of irritation in her voice.

“We’re planning out Sonata here’s future.” Dash said, likely not noticing that something was wrong with her.

“Is she still going to be staying here?”

“Yup, got a problem with it?”

“Whatever…” She said with resignation. There was no point in any further arguing. “I’m going to be in my room… don’t bother me with anything.”

Moondancer did as she told, slamming the door.

“Did you need to be so tough with her, Dashie?” Fluttershy asked.

“Kinda, yeah. She pretty much threatened me yesterday morning. I needed to draw the line.” Rainbow explained.

“She looked kinda sad.” Sonata said, a little quietly.

“She did?” Dash said, slight regret showing on her face. “Well, I doubt she’d tell us about her problems anytime soon. She locks everything up inside her.”

Sonata just nodded. It seems like this girl isn’t as scary as she thought. Maybe that girl was hurting in the same way she was.