• Published 1st Oct 2017
  • 587 Views, 8 Comments

Live Up To Myself - HazelGems



Moondancer and Sonata Dusk are two misfits in very different ways. If they want to find a place in the world, they're going to need each other's help

  • ...
 8
 587

Let's Make a Deal

The Dean was gathering his papers to leave for the day. He completely loathed having to stay in the office when most of the day’s work is done before noon. Of course, the higher ups don’t give a damn, rather having the façade of professionalism instead of efficiency. Good thing it was five minutes ‘til 5pm, and he was home free. The moment his belongings were put together, he heard the door swung open behind him, causing Discord to grimace.

“I’m in a bit of a hurry so it needs to be---,” When he turned, he realized who it was. “Ah, it’s you.”

Moondancer was once again in his office, here to complain most likely. Took her long enough.

“Ms. Dancer if you are here to file a complaint, I suggest you do it when I’m not nearly out the door, now if you have no other business.”

“Wait, I’m actually here to make a deal.” The young girl said.

That piqued his interest enough to give him pause.

“Go on.” Discord said, sitting back down on his desk. Dancer stepped back to open the door.

“Okay, you can come in.” She said, motioning to somebody.

Two girls walked in, one of them he knew for sure.

“Oh, Ms. Rainbow Dash, our star athlete. You are doing this school an excellent service by kicking those balls into nets and keeping interest of Cloudsdale U high.” The dean greeted her with.

“Um, thanks?” She said, a little confused by his praise.

“What I have in mind doesn’t include her, it involves my, uh, friend here.” Moondancer explained motioning to the mystery girl.

“What is your name, dear?” He asked.

“I-i-its Sonata Dusk…” The girl said meekly.

It must’ve been the eyes. His piercing, red and yellow eyes can make just about anyone uncomfortable. They worked wonders in his job though.

“So! What was this deal that you’re proposing? It better be a good one.”

“Well, as we both know, I still believe that Treehugger was wrongfully given the title of valedictorian— “

“Which goes against empirical fact, but please, do go on.” Discord interrupted with. Moondancer gave him a scorned look, and it delighted him.

“As I was saying, a mistake was made, but I have a plan to prove my worth. And it involves her.” She said pointing to Sonata. “This young woman has had no formal education whatsoever, is homeless and quite certainly in a hopeless situation. But here’s where I come in! I’m graciously offering my skills to mentor this fine person.”

Rainbow just rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“Is it true? You have no credentials whatsoever?” The dean asked the wayward girl.

“Are those the plastic cards people buy things with?” Sonata said, unsure.

That’s all he needed to know.

“And what, Ms. Dancer, does this have to do with me, or even this school?” Discord asked.

“I’m going to get her to successfully enroll in this school, complete with GED, by the next semester.” She proposed bluntly.

Things are getting interesting again.

“And I’m going to accomplish that in three weeks.”

Moondancer fully had the dean’s attention. That statement was enough to make Dash surprised too.

“That would be quite impressive.” Discord admitted. “If you could do it, that is.”

“I’m 100% certain that I can, sir.”

“Ah, well this is all fine and dandy, but what do I possibly gain if, and this is a pretty small if, you were to fail?” He said with a nasty smile.

“I will never step a foot in this office unless you ask me to.”

“We have ourselves a deal!” The dean said hopping up from his seat and shaking Moondancer’s hand. “Hell, I will even accept her free charge and give a dorm in the same building as you as part of the deal.”

“Oh wow! I’ll have my own bed and not sleep on Rainbow’s couch anymore.” Sonata said happily.

“Wait what was that last part?” Discord said, stopping his handshake.

“It was nothing, nothing at all!” Moondancer said to try and distract him. “I’m glad you accept my proposal and will be leaving immediately! Come on let’s go!”

Dancer was already urgently pushing her friends through the door after that slip up.

“We’ll both be back here before a month passes, I guarantee it.” Moondancer said.

“Oh I don’t doubt that. I don’t believe it’ll be for a good reason though.” The dean said with a sneer.

Dancer pouted her face before closing the door behind her.


The three friends walked their way back to the dorms in complete silence for most of the journey. That is, until Rainbow brought up a point that was bothering her.

“I remember you specifically saying that even you couldn’t teach someone everything in 4 months.”

“Yeah well, doing it in one sounded a lot more impressive. And of course I can do it if I’m completely focused on it.” Moondancer said as a matter of fact.

“And what are you going to tell Treehugger about stealing something that she’s earned?”

“It’s not stealing if I’m doing it legit. And she’s so laid back that she probably wouldn’t even notice it’s gone! She wouldn’t even appreciate it like I would!”

“That’s not the fucking point! Just when I thought you were acting like a decent person and you go and do some shady shit like this?”

“Please don’t fight!” Sonata shouted at them both.

It surprised the both of them that it stopped all of them in their tracks.

“I’m… I’m sorry, I just didn’t want you two to keep yelling…”

“Sonata, you don’t have to apologize,” Rainbow said, trying to console her. “Come on, pizza should still be in the dorm. If we hurry up it’ll still be warm.”

Sonata nodded as Dash shepherded her friend away from the spat, leaving Moondancer behind in the middle of the courtyard.

To her it didn’t feel like she was doing something bad, no matter what Rainbow Dash said. Bringing Sonata into college as early as possible is clearly a good thing. It didn’t matter how it’s done as long as it’s done. So what if Moondancer personally benefited from it? There’s no rule that says friends can’t do that with each other, and Sonata considers her a friend. It would literally be a win-win!

So why was she feeling guilty? 606091413�^�