• Published 1st Dec 2011
  • 3,969 Views, 791 Comments

The Flutterheart Diaries - lilinuyasha



Even after Trey and Fluttershy marry, some things are still unknown.

  • ...
17
 791
 3,969

XXI: Small steps

6-10-13

So Flutterheart and all her group of friends left to go to Canterlot for something important. I’m left here for the weekend with Anacrusis. Not a bad deal at all.

***

Anacrusis yawned widely, trotting out to the living room, where Trey already had breakfast ready.

“Good morning!” he said, putting a plate in front of him. Anacrusis looked at it, studying it. “It’s good! Trust me!”

Anacrusis slowly leaned towards it, nibbling on it. Upon deciding he liked it, he quickly snarfed the entire thing down. Trey raised in eyebrow, in awe.

“You’re one hungry colt. You’ll grow up to be some sort of athlete, you know that?”

Anacrusis smiled, trotting up to his dad, laying his head on his lap, staring up at him. Trey smiled at how cute he looked.

“So...you wanna play?”

Without even thinking, Anacrusis galloped of to the living room, where the toybox was. Not quite big enough to open it himself, Trey picked him up, feeling him struggle to open the box. Soon enough, Anacrusis felt a huge sense of satisfaction of being able to open it on his own, hurriedly jumping inside it, laughing. The top closed on him, and he gently poked his head from the box, checking to make sure Trey was still there. Trey smiled as Anacrusis ducked down again, playing a small game of peekaboo, laughing away. Soon enough, Trey picked him up out of the box, holding him in his arms, swinging around in a circle to Anacrusis’ delight. Trey gently nuzzled him, tickling him. Anacrusis screamed in laughter as Trey continued to play with him, laying down on the ground. Anacrusis smiled and jumped about Trey, flopping onto his stomach.

“Come here, you.” said Trey, quickly rubbing Anacrusis’ mane with his hoof, making a muss of it. Anacrusis smiled, calming down, laying on top of his father, sprawled out on his stomach. “I love you, Anacrusis.”

Anacrusis babbled, making foalish noises.

“You love me too? Well, that’s quite convenient.” said Trey, smiling at him. Anacrusis still babbled, smiling at his dad. Trey smiled back at him, nuzzling Anacrusis’ nose with his.

“I’ll always love you. You’re a special colt, you know that?” he said. Anacrusis babbled on, smiling. Trey rubbed his back, laying his head back. “You’re special indeed...” he said, closing his eyes, ready for a nap.

“Bend!”

Trey’s ears perked up and he looked at Anacrusis. “Wha?”

“Bend!”

Trey’s eyes opened wide and a smile started to form upon his lips.

“Band!”

“Sweet Celestia, your mother’s going to want to hear about this.”

***

Not a bad deal also that Anacrusis decided to mature. He said his first word today: Band. First time I heard it, it sounded like “Bend”, which I’m sure was him trying to pronounce that syllable. After the third time, he managed to say it, though it still sounded more like “bond”. I’m glad I was here for his first word. It’s a shame that Flutterheart wasn’t here for it, but she was sure happy when she got home. Anacrusis went around yelling “Band!” all day. Have I really said it that much to where that was his first word? Usually derivatives of “mom” or “dad” are common. Yet, here’s my son, Bandmaster Anacrusis, going around the house yelling “Band!”. It’s actually kind of heartwarming. Flutterheart couldn’t stop smiling anytime he’d bark it out. “Want to eat?” “Band!” “Time for bed!” “Band!”. These are the years where we teach them to stand, walk, and talk. Years later, we’ll be telling him to sit down and shut up. But for now, I’m perfectly happy with him going around proudly shouting out his first word, courtesy of his dad. I can’t wait to tell the band about this.

Band!

Trey

***

“Hey, Dad?”

“Yes, Anacrusis?”

“Can I get your help with something?”

“Sure!”

“Follow me.” he said, leading Trey into his room.

“What’s up?” he asked.

“I...what are you giving Mom for Heart’s and Hooves day?”

“Oh. Uh...” he started. He honestly hadn’t even thought of it. “Chocolates and flowers. Nothing too extensive. Why?”

“Well...um...” he said, lowering his head. Trey smiled.

“You have a crush on somepony, don’t you?”

“Shh.” he said, glancing up at Trey.

“Heh. You do. You have a crush.”

“...yes. But don’t tell anypony.”

“Who is she?” asked Trey, desperate to know.

“Her name’s...um...can you close the door?”

Trey laughed a little, closing the door.

“What’s her name, now?”

“Her name’s...Chocolate Cherry.”

“She sounds nice.”

“She is...we had to work on a project together last week...she actually wanted to work with me.”

“Do other ponies usually not?”

“No...not really. But she came straight up to me and wanted to work with me.”

“That’s sweet. So, you took a liking to her, huh?”

“Yeah...I was just wondering what you would get Mom so I would know what to get her...”

“Anacrusis...” began Trey, kneeling down to his level. “...you just get this filly anything. Just something that shows you care. Why not make something for her? Write a poem, or make a personal card?”

“Well...I don’t know...I want to make sure she likes it. I don’t want to give her something that might upset her...”

“Son, trust me on this one. Just give her something from the heart. If she likes you back, she’ll love it. Who knows. Maybe she’ll be your special somepony...” he said, nudging Anacrusis. Anacrusis smiled a bit, looking up at his dad.

“You really think so?”

“I know so. That’s how I made your mother my special somepony.”

Anacrusis smiled, latching on to his dad for a hug.

“Thanks, Dad.”

Trey ruffled Anacrusis’ mane with his hoof, smiling. First crush. Another part of fatherhood he was able to check off his list.

***

“So, what are we going to read tonight?” asked Fluttershy, snuggling up to him.

“Oh, I thought we’d skip the reading tonight. I have an even better story to tell.”

“Oh?”

“Your favorite son got his first crush.”

“OH MY GOSH! That’s amazing! I mean, only if it works out...Oh, I’m so excited! What’s her name? Who is she?”

“I think you just asked the same question twice. Apparently her name is Chocolate Cherry. He really likes her.”

“Oh, good. Did he tell you this?”

“First he asked me what I was getting you for Heart’s and Hooves day.”

“What’d you say?”

“I’m not going to spoil it for you.” he said, winking. “But I drew some conclusions and got him to admit that he had a crush on somepony.”

“How did they meet?”

“That’s the thing. Apparently she came up to him to work on a project.”

“That’s sweet.”

“Yeah. I hope things work out for him.”

“I’m sure they will. Did you tell him to give her something from the heart?”

“Of course. I told him if I wouldn’t have given from MY heart, I would have never gotten YOUR heart.”

Fluttershy blushed, smiling. Trey passionately kissed her, stroking her face.

“You know...”

“What?” she asked, gazing into him.

“I love you.”

“I love you too. More than anything.”

***

Anacrusis and Flutterwing burst in the front door. Flutterwing was carrying a bag in her mouth, with cards and candy protruding from it. Anacrusis trotted in proudly, his chest puffed out. In his mouth he carried a single card.

“Mommy, look what I got!” shouted Flutterwing, begging Fluttershy to see all the candy she got.

“Looks like you got a lot of love and care this year.” she said, nuzzling her. “Don’t eat it all at once. You’ll get a tummy ache.” she added, smiling.

“So...what’d you get, Anacrusis?” asked Trey. He already had a pretty good feeling about what that card was, but he needed to make sure.

“Oh, just a card from Chocolate Cherry.” he said, giving it to his dad. Trey opened it up, reading.

Anacrusis,

Roses are red,

violets are blue,

I’m really glad I was partners with you.

Chocolate Cherry

“Not bad. What did you wind up giving her?”

“Oh...just a drawing.”

“Just a drawing?”

“Yeah, it looked really good, too!” said Flutterwing.

“Well, it wasn’t THAT good.” he said sheepishly.

“Well, she thought it was. Otherwise she wouldn’t have kissed you on the cheek.” said Flutterwing, soon covering her mouth.

“Oh ho HO!” said Trey, putting a hoof on Anacrusis’ mane. “So I was right, huh?”

“...yeah...” he said, bending his head in embarrassment.

Trey ruffled up his mane, patting his back. “I’m proud of you, son. You should have her over sometime.”

“Can I?” he asked, getting excited.

“Of course, Anacrusis!” said Fluttershy, smiling at him.

“Well...what about tomorrow?”

Trey and Fluttershy laughed at Anacrusis’ eagerness.

“Of course, Anacrusis. Of course.”