• Published 1st Dec 2011
  • 3,960 Views, 791 Comments

The Flutterheart Diaries - lilinuyasha



Even after Trey and Fluttershy marry, some things are still unknown.

  • ...
17
 791
 3,960

XXVII: Old Habits

7-10-13

Nothing new to report, really. Anacrusis is developing rather quickly. His language skills are a little better than normal for his age. He’s been picking up some big words from Mommy and Daddy. Kinda cute when he doesn’t even know what they mean. He called Flutterheart “Interesting” the other day. “Hey, Momma, you’re interesting!” then he nuzzled against her stomach. Flutterheart and I both D’awed.

I wound up borrowing some books from Twilight about young foal parenting. There’s some pretty good stuff in there. Only problem is, it doesn’t leave much room for interpretation. I’m torn between doing it right or doing it by instinct. Not quite sure if there is such a thing as “Proper parenting” anyway.

Instinctually proper,

Trey

“Alright, guys. I have a surprise for you.” said Trey, as his foals marched in the door.

“A surprise?” asked Flutterwing. Fluttershy looked at him curiously. She wasn’t aware of this surprise.

“Yes. A magical surprise!”

“But you’re a pegasus...” said Anacrusis.

“Er...yeah. It’s a GOOD surprise then. Smart aleck.” he said, smirking at his son.

“What is it, Daddy?” asked Flutterwing.

“What kind of surprise did you plan this time?” asked Fluttershy.

“How would you guys like to go to the Ponyville hoofball game tomorrow night?”

Flutterwing and Anacrusis smiled.

“I always wondered what you do out there. Will it be fun?” she asked.

“I wanna see some hard hits out there!” said Anacrusis, beaming. Where did he get this sense of violence?

“I’m sure there’ll be plenty out there. Maybe we’ll actually win. That’d be a bonus. But the band will be fun to listen and watch as well.”

“That sounds fun!” said Flutterwing, hugging him. Trey smiled, hugging her back. Anacrusis held his hoof out to him. Trey met it with his, giving him a firm hoofshake. Then he jerked Anacrusis back, hugging him, ruffling his mane.

“Dad...” he said, slightly annoyed.

“Don’t worry. Cherry’s not here to see me embarrass you.”

“OH! Can she come too?”

“Of course.”

“Yay!” said Flutterwing. She considered Chocolate a big sister, and any amount of time they got to spend together meant the world to her.

***

“Do you really think they’ll like it?” asked Trey, as he and Fluttershy laid in bed.

“I’m sure they’ll love it. What’s not to like?”

“I don’t know. I just don’t want to feel like I’m forcing them into something they don’t want to do.”

“Well, they’re going to be in high school one day. It’ll be good to get them used to the atmosphere. Besides, Daddy’s there to make it special.” she said, bopping him on the nose with her hoof. He smiled.

“Yeah, I suppose that’s true. I know having Cherry there will make it special to Anacrusis.”

“And Flutterwing. She really likes her.”

“Maybe Derpy will come with her.”

“I’ll head out to give her an invitation tomorrow, as well.”

“Good.” said Trey, smiling at her. “I think it’ll be fun.”

“I don’t.”

“Why not?”

“Because I KNOW it will be fun.”

Trey smiled and kissed her lightly, stroking her cheek with his hoof.

“I love you.” he said, looking deep into her eyes.

“I love you, too, Trey.”

***

“I’m glad you two could make it!” said Fluttershy, greeting Cherry and Derpy.

“Thanks for the invite!” said Cherry. Derpy simply smiled, a small hum of approval sounding out. Flutterwing trotted up to Cherry and hugged her, throwing Cherry off guard a little bit, but returned the favor as Anacrusis waited for his turn.

“Should we get some snacks?” asked Cherry, looking up at Derpy.

“Good idea!” she said, trotting off, bumping into a trashcan on the way.

“I think I’d better go with her. I don’t want her to drop the drinks. She’s a little clumsy sometimes. Find you in the stands?”

“Sure!” said Anacrusis, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek before she trotted off to find her surrogate mother.

“Why don’t you ever kiss her on the lips?” asked Flutterwing as they trotted up in the stands.

“It’s awkward when parents are around.”

“I don’t mind.” said Fluttershy, smiling at him. “Your dad and I kiss all the time.”

“I know...but it’s just...” he started, shortly before a loud THUMP of a bass drum rang out. Anacrusis and Flutterwing both jumped as the crowd cheered.

“Fillies and Gentlecolts! Welcome to Ponyville stadium for another exciting hoofball matchup! Today, you witness Canterlot’s Daring Dragons take on YOUR CELESTIAL EQUESTRIALS!” boomed the speakers as the crowd cheered even more.

“And now, getting ready to storm the field, under the direction of Bandmaster Trey, let’s hear it for the Ponyville High School Hoofstompin’ Band!”

“Yay Daddy!” shouted Flutterwing and Anacrusis.

“Yay!” said Fluttershy, doing her best to yell.

Trey blew his whistle, calling them to attention, as they all yelled “Hoofstompers!”. Trey looked out to both sides of the field, and, seeing they were all ready, blew his whistle another time, watching the band rush out to the field as the crowd cheered them on. They spelled out “Ponyville” before the drum cadence turned them around as they started playing the fight song.

Flutterwing started dancing, bouncing up and down as Anacrusis bobbed his head. It was catchy. So this was what his dad did. Not bad. Not bad at all.

“And now, Canterlot High school will play their Alma Mater.”

“Hey, guys!” said Derpy, as she and Cherry trotted up the bleachers to them. They scooted over as Cherry slid in first, next to Anacrusis. Fluttershy looked over at Derpy, smiling, patting the seat next to her. Derpy smiled and sat next to her as Canterlot finished their Alma Mater.

“And now...The Celestial Equestrial Anthem!” said the announcer as the crowd cheered. The band played a short fanfare, before the slow, melodic setting of the School song kicked in. The crowd sang along loudly, leaving Flutterwing, Cherry, and Anacrusis feeling slightly awkward, seeing as they didn’t know what to do.

“And now, for the coin toss...”

***

“Yay!” shouted Derpy, launching popcorn into the air as a goal was scored. A few ponies sitting around her turned back, giving her strange glances.

“Um...Derpy...that was the other team.” said Fluttershy, carefully.

“Oh...sorry!” she yelled back to the field.

“Hey, Annie, I need to go to the bathroom. Will you come with me?” asked Cherry.

“Uh...”

“You’re just going to wait outside. It’s almost halftime, anyway.”

“Oh. Sure. Hey, Mom, I’m going to escort this fine filly to the restroom. I’ll be back soon.”

“Just try not to miss the halftime show. Your dad really wants you to see it.” she said, smiling.

“We won’t.” she said, as they trotted down the stands.

Anacrusis followed Cherry to the bathroom stables. Cherry looked both ways, and, seeing nopony, trotted around behind the stable, dragging him with her.

“What are we-” he started, shortly before she kissed him, keeping him from saying anything. He felt his cheeks flare and returned the favor, closing his eyes as they continued.

***

“And now, under the direction of Bandmaster Trey, comes this year’s Hoofstompin’ halftime show. Receiving 4th place at finals, this show captures the highest rating Ponyville has ever received in marching competitions. Let’s hear it for your Hoofstompin’ Band!” said the announcer, sending the crowd cheering, before he spoke again. “This year’s show, entitled ‘What’s important’ is dedicated to his wife and children, as well as all the other happy families across Equestria.”

Anacrusis and Flutterwing’s ears perked up as Fluttershy smiled at them.

“And without further ado, the Hoofstompin’ Halftime extravaganza!”

Trey raised his hooves, getting ready to direct the band. He turned back to the crowd, finding his family, and, though they most likely couldn’t see it, smiled. He turned his attention back to the band and let the musical ode to their happiness begin.

Anacrusis smiled widely, letting the music move him in ways he never thought possible. Flutterwing leaned against Fluttershy, nuzzling her side, happy to be spending time with such a wonderful family.

***

“That was awesome, Dad!” said Anacrusis as Trey trotted in the cottage.

“Not as awesome as my family.” he said, gathering up his foals for a big hug. He released them and gently kissed Fluttershy, making her blush and smile, like old times.

“I just wish I could do what you do.” said Anacrusis.

“Bah. Whatever you want to do makes me happy.” he said. “Now, who wants to play a board game?”

“Me!” said Flutterwing, rushing to the cabinet.

“Hey! It’s MY turn to pick!”

“You picked last time!”

“No, I didn’t! You picked Apples to Apples!”

“But you picked Balderdash three weeks ago!”

They continued to argue as Trey leaned against Fluttershy.

“Should we pick for them?” he asked her. She gently smiled at him.

“Nah.”