• Published 1st Dec 2011
  • 3,960 Views, 791 Comments

The Flutterheart Diaries - lilinuyasha



Even after Trey and Fluttershy marry, some things are still unknown.

  • ...
17
 791
 3,960

XXXIX: New Addition

6-13-14

Flutterheart’s definitely getting anxious about the new foal. There’s some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that Anacrusis is getting WAY too excited about the new foal. Like...I’m having bad visions of him popping her head off during a hug. The good news is that I guess I won’t have to live in fear that she’ll castrate me in my sleep for not giving her a filly. I dodged the bullet there, I can tell. She’ll be here in about 4 months or so.
Anacrusis is still as adorable as ever, though. Flutterheart and I have been teaching him to fly a little bit. (Not that we ever use it much) Now we have to teach him to quit flying inside the house until he gets a little better control of himself. He’s already almost broken a vase. And a family portrait. AAAAAAAND might have accidentally injured a puppy. Yeah. Flutterheart was a little upset.
Anyways, I’m off. Have a big day preparing for the school’s final concert in the upcoming weeks. I’ve already gotten more than a few hundred parent letters over it. i guess Derpy didn’t deliver all the informational pamphlets I gave her...

Ready for the concert,

Trey

7-5-14

Flutterwing’s been kicking a lot more recently. While it makes Rarity and the girls squeel with joy and anticipation, it kind of makes me worry. We’re still close to three months out from due date. It still seems really early for her to be kicking this much. I guess we’ll see.
The final concert is tomorrow night. Sadly, this is the last group of foals from when I started teaching. It’s been fun to see these kids mature throughout the years, going to college at Canterlot university, getting involved with marching band, or joining the workforce. it was cool seeing a few of them get their cutie marks (Erm...MANLY marks) through the program (Though still a tad later than most foals their age). But these relationships are not something that I take lightly. Legitimately, I’m going to miss these kids. Hopefully I can keep myself from crying.

Hoping to keep from crying,

Trey

7-7-14

The concert went over really well. Didn’t keep from tearing up, though. There’s just something about an entire crowd going “Awww...” that kind of eats away at you. But I got to come home to a beautiful wife and son, so that definitely made my night a lot better.
Flutterwing’s been kicking again. Flutterheart tries to hide the pain, but I can see it’s not comfortable.

Done with concerts for the year,

Trey

8-14-14

Well, some extremely bad news...

***
“Get her to the emergency room, STAT!” yelled Nurse Redheart. Flutterheart lay on a bed, wheeled away by various nursing staff, hyperventilating out of pain. Trey galloped alongside them, following them into the room, trying to stay out of the way.
“Trey, what happened?” asked Nurse Redheart.
“She just kicked me in the night and said her water broke. It’s two months early, though, I’m worried.”
“We’re going to take good care of her. Just hang back.” she finished, snapping a mask over her snout, donning scrubs and gloves.
“Fluttershy...” she said, turning her attention to the table, where they had already propped her legs open. “...I just need you to relax. We’re going to get her out of there smoothly, and we’re going to make sure she’s fine. Alright?”
“It’s two months early, Nurse...”
“Don’t worry about that. This isn’t my first rodeo.”
“But-”
“No buts. We’re getting through this. It’s just a natural birth. Now, push!”
Fluttershy did as she was told, pushing along.
“Good, Fluttershy. I can see the...flank? Oh, dear.”
“Flank? You mean face, right?”
“I’m afraid not. She’s coming out backwards. It happens sometimes, no big deal. Triage, fetch me the tongs.”
“Yes, Ma’am!” said a nearby nurse, picking up a pair of baby pliers from the operating table.
“Get in there and see if you can pull the legs out.”
Triage did as he was told, managing to pop both of Flutterwing’s legs out. Redheart and Triage both took ahold of one and gently started pulling, as Fluttershy kept pushing.
“Gently now...I can see the neck. Now let’s...oh, shit.”
“WHAT? WHAT’S WRONG?” yelled Fluttershy.
“Triage, get the scissors, NOW!”
“WHAT’S HAPPENING?”
Trey’s heart sank to the bottom of his stomach watching the scene unfold. Flutterwing’s umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck, rendering her unable to breathe. He started to quiver, afraid of losing a child.
Triage hurriedly dashed to the operating table, picking up the scissors. He gave them to Nurse Redheart, who hurriedly cut the cord as close to the neck as possible, which, unfortunately, wasn’t enough at this point. She grabbed a hold of Flutterwing, pulling back on her quickly, sending Fluttershy into massive amounts of pain. Triage hurriedly held up a towel, while Nurse Redheart half-assed a wrapping job, sending Triage down the hall to put Flutterwing into an oxygen unit. Trey sat there, unsure of what to think. A series of tears started to roll down his eyes. Fluttershy was panting and crying as Nurse Redheart tried to calm her.
“Fluttershy...she’s going to be fine. We just need to get her some oxygen. This happens sometimes.”
“Why did it have to happen...to me?” she managed to choke through the tears, making Trey and Nurse Redheart stare at her in confused shock.
“I...don’t know.” she said, looking for the words. “I guess God...well...We’re going to take care of her. If something happens to her, I will be just as much in pain as you will. I...I need to check on her.” she said, hurriedly dashing out of the room. Two assistants let down the props from Fluttershy’s legs, gathering up the labor equipment.
“Ring us if you need anything.” one of them said, before closing the door behind them.
“Trey...” said Fluttershy, looking over to him. “Trey...please...”
Trey got up off the floor, his head hung low, trotting over to her. He held her hoof tightly, both of them staring into each other’s bloodstained eyes. Trey tried to look strong...but he knew he couldn’t.
“She’s going to be fine.” he whispered. “I’m sure of it. We’re going to ahve our special daughter. Anacrusis will have a wonderful sister, and you’re finally going to have your daughter. Just...it might be more complicated than that.”
“Trey...what if we lose her?”
Trey froze for a second, unable to consider what would happen if they legitimately stillborned a child.
“We won’t.” he said. It was the only thing he could say at the moment. Fluttershy gripped his hoof tightly, sobbing quietly into it, as they awaited the judgement call from Nurse Redheart.
After about 30 minutes, Nurse Redheart came into the room, closing the door behind her. Fluttershy and Trey both glanced over at her, tear-stained.
“Well, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that Flutterwing is in stable condition. She’s going to be fine.”
Flutterwing yelped out of joy, hugging Trey tighter than she ever had before. Trey smiled out of pure relief, glad of the news.
“The bad news, however, is that there were, indeed, some complications while trying to get her out. I’m sorry to have caused you some pain there, but your umbilical cord was wrapped around Flutterwing’s neck, and she couldn’t breathe. She wasn’t able to get a lot of oxygen. Because of this, well...She’s going to suffer some brain damage. We won’t really know the extent of it until she starts getting into the development part of growth, but at the worst, your child may be completely mentally retarded.”
“Oh...”
“Like I said, we won’t know the extent of it for a while, but I don’t believe it;’s going to be that severe. Just make sure to shower her with all the love and affection you can muster and I’m sure she’ll turn out fine.” said Nurse Redheart, smiling. “Now, unfortunately, she’s still hooked up to the oxygen machine, and she’ll have to stay here overnight. You’ll be able to take her home tomorrow. Once again, I’m sorry. This happens sometimes. I don’t know why it had to happen to you, of all ponies, but everything is going to be alright.”

***
It’s been tough on both of us tonight. I only have time to write while she’s in the shower, and I can still hear her sobbing. Luckily, the sitter already put Anacrusis to bed, so maybe I won’t have to explain this to him. This has just been a really weird night, a bad night, for the both of us. I really hope whatever damage Flutterwing gets isn’t too severe. But, whatever it is, she’s still my daughter, and I won’t treat her as any less of an equine being. I’ll still love her forever. I heard the water stop. I’d best prepare myself for some really tight hugs. She’s still really upset.

Loving Flutterwing Forever,

Trey

Author's Note:

Sorry for such a late delay, guys. Here's about 1500 words to satisfy your desire for more Flutterheart. It's jsut not as D'aw worthy this time around.