• Published 8th Dec 2016
  • 377 Views, 1 Comments

A Tale of Two Brothers - Fotohunter



The Cuitemap sends Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy to Manehattan where they must help a broken family be whole again while dealing with the family's painful past.

  • ...
 1
 377

Remembering

“I was a young mare, raised on the streets of Manehattan. I came from a good family of the working neighborhoods of Manehattan, before set neighborhoods felt in disgrace. I was the only daughter of a happy couple, though like me my mother lacked a good constitution and passed away a few years after giving birth to me. My father was as hard working as they come, a trusted foreman of a good company. I was a frail thing but wanted to help my father, who spent a lot of money looking after me, so I decided to clean tables at a pub my father frequented. It was there, among the music and laughs, that I discovered my special talent.”

“Your voice?” guessed Applejack.

Golden Voice assented. “I was a natural singer and I got quick recognition among the entertainment circles, but due to my less than stelar health it was hard to raise as I had to take frequent breaks. During one of my performances in the Manehattan Museum of Natural History I met the stallion who would be my husband, a stallion named Copper Scale.”

Golden Voice pulled another picture from her purse and showed it to Applejack and Fluttershy. It was a wedding picture, in it they saw a younger and radiant Golden Voice in a wedding dress, looking into the eyes of a tall unicorn stallion dressed in a wedding suit. The stallion was almost a splitting image of Dragon Tongue. Both of them had their eyes full of hope and love.

“He was a curator and archeologist who specialized in studying an ancient civilization that once flourished in the Mareiterranian sea. He was as gentle and loving as my father. We felt in love so fast that we married within the year and a year later I gave him two foals: Dragon Tongue and Dragon Voice.”

There was a snort of disapproval from Dragon Tongue. Applejack and Fluttershy were surprised by the reaction of the chef but Golden Voice ignored his son not so subtle protest.

“It was taxing for my frail body, but unlike my mother I was able to hold to my life. My husband was more than surprised with the birth of twins, and especially with Dragon Voice. A big dark fur pony that was larger than his brother.”

“Who wouldn’t be surprised with the birth of such a big pony?” asked Applejack.

“Well, we both were incredibly surprised. Twins run in my family but neither of us could imagine from which side Dragon Voice took his appearance from. Still, like his brother, he was a beautiful baby, his smile was wide and his lungs where most than impressive.” Golden Voice giggled only in a way a mother could when thinking of their foals. “I remember that every time he cried he used to wake up all the babies in the hospital.”

“That would explain his name” guessed Fluttershy. Golden Voice nodded, validating Fluttershy’s theory.

“So what happened to their father? And if you don’t mind me to ask, why do your children look so…” Applejack hesitated for a moment to find the politest words and decided to set with “Peculiar”.

“Applejack!” scolded Fluttershy in disapproval.

Neither Dragon Tongue nor Golden Voice reacted surprised, probably used by that opinion, though little Dragon Fang titled his head and asked “Unusual?” as he never thought of his dad of nothing but normal.

“I am sorry Flutters but it is the truth!” Applejack immediately addressed Golden Voice. “No offenses madam but Dragon Tongue and his brother have quite unique ‘anatomies’ as Twilight would put it.”

“Still Applejack, that was very rude!” said Fluttershy with her soft stern voice.

“It is okay. Honestly it is refreshing to be asked in such a direct fashion, makes it all the less awkward” explained Golden Voice very understanding of Applejack’s question. “I am not sure of were Dragon Tongue got his tongue or Dragon Voice his body. Genetically speaking it is related to one of our ancestors, though my father was never aware of any of his relatives being like that and my husband was an orphan raised by very distant relatives of his mother so he was ignorant of his family tree.” Golden Voice reminisced for a bit before following her explanation. “Dragon Voice was the hardest to understand in medical terms. His growth was quite fast for a pony and very unusual for an unicorn’s physiognomy.”

“What do you mean?” asked Fluttershy who was the most familiar with medical terms.

“Dragon Voice’s body developed with an anatomy closer to that of an earth pony. He was incredibly strong for his age and I guess he still must be. But what was even more incredible was his amazingly developed hearing. He had such a fine ear that he could hear a pin fall over a pillow at the other side of the house!”

“Sounds amazing” said Applejack.

“Sounds very troublesome” commented Fluttershy.

Applejack was surprised by her friend’s remark. “How so Fluttershy? Such a fine ear must have been a blessing”.

“In a quiet town maybe, but in Manehattan it was difficult for him. My husband had to learn a few spells to soundproof the rooms so Dragon Voice could sleep at night. And with his lungs we had to soundproof the whole place so that his screams would not bother the whole building” smiled Golden Voice fond of the memories of raising her children.

“He also did not have a normal appetite, that’s for sure” Dragon Tongue chuckled.

“Well, with that body he was also quite a glutton. I remember he could eat as much as his father in one sit and when he came back from a day of exercise he could empty the pantry and since cooking for such an appetite was a challenge Dragon Tongue helped me, and that’s how he discovered his special talent” said Golden Voice as she smiled towards her son. “Dragon Voice was not a normal Pony, that’s for sure, but he was also caring and loving, he was like a guardian angel for his brother. Well, that was before things got, difficult.”

Dragon Tongue’s gaze lowered in sadness as Golden Voice delved into a painful part of her family’s life.

“It all happened when Tongue and Voice were ten years old. My husband was excited since he discovered something during one of his expedition, something that would shed a light in his family history. Alas, tragedy struck and during his return trip his ship sank deep into the ocean, taking along him, his team and everything they had discovered” said Golden Voice as the memories made her roll a tear down her cheek.

“Must have been hard, I know how it feels to lose the ones you love” said Applejack empathetically.

“It was, sadly that was the first act in this tragedy” resumed Golden Voice. “That same year my father passed away, leaving me alone with my foals. Though painful my husband’s insurance was enough, or would have been if I hadn’t fall very sick. I spent almost ten years in and out of the hospital regularly, which sadly consumed most of the insurance money. I sold my apartment and moved to the same floor in which I was raised and there I spent the time with my foals that I did not spend in the hospital. Those were hard years, money was scarce and Dragon Tongue and Dragon Voice were forced to grow up fast and without spells to protect him from the noise of the city Dragon Voice was barely able to sleep and thus his temperament became very short, though he kept smiling. With the help of a friend they kept studying but they also took an evening job in a restaurant. Dragon Voice helped Dragon Tongue in every way he could so that he get noticed by the chefs”.

“He also enjoyed the free meals that came out of it. I did my best so he could get properly fed while we worked” added Dragon Tongue, but there was a subtle hint of shame in his voice, something Applejack took note of.

“Then, came the accident” narrated Golden Voice with pain in her voice. “One day Dragon Tongue spotted Dragon Voice stealing food from the restaurant pantry. They had a fight and the old floor of the pantry gave weight, plummeting Dragon Voice down through an old cellar where he suffered from heavy scars over 60% of his body and he lost his horn in the process”.

“Whoa nelly! That is like a pegasus loosing its wings, or me loosing a leg!” exclaimed Applejack.

“He was a mess but he was alive and did not suffer any permanent damage, in fact most of the scars were skin deep. But things always managed to get worst for him. He would have healed normally, but through his scars he developed a form of hyperkeratinosis that prevented his body from properly heal” tears rolled down of Golden Voice’s eyes, she was at the verge of open cry.

“How horrible” gasped Fluttershy.

“It was. After that everypony was scared of him. A hulking ugly pony walking around the streets of Manehattan and a voice that could shatter building. He became an outcast and thus his temperament became even shorter and meaner” explained Dragon Tongue. Applejack noticed more hints of guilt from Dragon Tongue, as if he was omitting something important.

“Then, when Dragon Tongue was offered to work under Chef Bordeaux in Canterlot, my two sons had a fight over Dragon Tongue leaving with me to Canterlot and leaving Dragon Voice behind with nothing. I tried to mediate, tried to find a way to make things right, but…” Golden Voice’s voice got thin and broken.

“I ended up blasting my brother through the wall and into the streets. He survived a four story fall. By the time I went down to find him he was already gone. We haven’t seen him ever since” finished a remorseful Dragon Tongue.

“We haven’t seen him ever since” repeated a sobbing Golden Voice.

“Don’t you worry, we will help you find your son. I promise” vowed Applejack without thinking it twice.

Tears kept flowing down of Golden Voice as hope shined in her eyes “Thank you.”

Dragon Tongue sighted “Easier said than done. I have looked everywhere I could imagine my brother would be but still haven’t found the slightest clue.”

“Then is good that we are here, a fresh perspective may help you find him. Besides, we have a Fluttershy and her ability to talk to animals and a fashionista who is quite the gumshoes” said Applejack.

Golden Voice smiled and Dragon Fang clapped “YAY! The friends of the Princess of Friendship will help us!”

“Then is settled, we find Dragon Voice!” stated Applejack.

Dragon Tongue stood up “Very well! I have to get the machines working so we will meet tomorrow, first thing in the morning. I will take you to our old neighborhood, maybe you friend could ask the rats if they have seem him dwelling in the sewers”.

Dragon Tongue walked away as his words resonated on the table, everyone but the young colt felt surprised by such statement.

“I can help to notice that Dragon Tongue does not seem very keen of his brother” pointed Fluttershy to Golden Voice.

“The scars of the heart can be hard to close. He does this mostly for me” said Golden Voice.

“Coco dear, you have done a magnificent job. I couldn’t have done it better myself” praised Rarity as she, Coco and Crystal Cup approached the table.

“I take it you finished your errand?” asked Applejack.

“Indeed! There is still a few details to be finished for the head chef uniform but beyond that Coco has done everything flawlessly” Rarity radiated pride as she spoke of her blushing business partner.

“We better get moving then, we have to get up early tomorrow” said Applejack as she stood up.

“Something happened?” asked Rarity slightly confused.

“We will put you up to speed at the hotel” said Applejack as she rounded up her group.

As all the goodbye pleasantries were exchanged Applejack found Golden Voice handling the picture of her and her sons “Take so you four can find Dragon Voice”.

“Are you sure madam?”

“Don’t worry, is just a copy” Golden Voice produced a small envelope that she handled Applejack secretively. “And give this to my son if you find him, please”.

After leaving Coco at the Carrousel Boutique branch Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy found themselves in their hotel room as Applejack and Fluttershy put Rarity up to speed.

“Oh dear, that sound terrible” was the only thing Rarity managed to say after the whole explanation.

“I think this is a scar that run deep between those two. It will be hard to do this” pondered Applejack.

“Still, we have to remain positive. I believe we can do it” assured Fluttershy.

Rarity levitated the picture “If that’s the case, may I borrow this?”

Applejack and Fluttershy exchanged confused glances, which only got even more confused as Rarity readied herself to go out.

“What do you plan to do with it Rarity?” asked Fluttershy.

“Well dears, if we find this missing brother before the grand opening he will need to be dressed up to the occasion. I will spend my night at the boutique working on some designs. Pick me up in the morning so we can begin our mission” said Rarity as she opened the door.

“You sure sugarcube?”

“I never kid when I talk about fashion. See you tomorrow” Rarity closed the door behind her, leaving her two friends remembering that Rarity’s passion for fashion came only second to the passion for her friends.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment