• Published 8th Dec 2016
  • 376 Views, 1 Comments

A Tale of Two Brothers - Fotohunter



The Cuitemap sends Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy to Manehattan where they must help a broken family be whole again while dealing with the family's painful past.

  • ...
 1
 376

Castle of Sweets

The train to Manehattan was traveling at good speed as it flanked the Manehattan Forest, at the current speed the train would arrive to destination right in time. Most of the ponies did not mind the time they arrived at as long as they had a safe trip. All of the passengers traveled with clear goals in mind, from pure indulgence to cold business, all of them had their objectives. From all of the ponies on the train three traveled as heralds of the Princess of Friendship.

“I cannot believe our strike of luck!” said Rarity like a excited foal as she stared at the window to enjoy the sight of the concrete skyline as it grew in proportional size.

“Remember that first and foremost we have a friendship problem to solve sugarcube” reminded Applejack who was more interested in trying to take a nap.

“Oh darling, there is no law that states that we cannot do both at the same time. I mean, we will be in Manehattan for the grand opening of Renown Patissier Dragon Tongue’s first venture: The Castle of Sweets” sighted Rarity as she let her imagination go wild.

Fluttershy put down the newspaper she was scanning to pass the time. “He must be a really good if ponies make all this fuzz for a new restaurant.”

“I don’t know how can they MAKE such a fuzz. Is just a fancy version of Sugar Cube Corner” said Applejack uninterested.

The whole passenger carriage was shaken by a massive “WHAT!” from Rarity. It was so strong and intense it made Applejack think she had committed and act of sacrilege, though since the one reacting was Rarity that could be exactly the case.

Rarity was quick to grab Applejack un put her under an arm lock as she tried to make Applejack understand what she was unable to comprehend. “You know nothing about Dragon Tongue! He is not just a confectioner, he is THE Patissier! He is a genius of cooking and his skill with sweets is undeniably the best in all Equestria!”

Applejack released herself from Rarity’s lock and regained her composure. “I am sorry, but I can’t understand why a simple candy maker should be the talk of a whole city.”

“Is so simple darling, really. Chef Dragon Tongue was a diamond in the rough that ascended from poverty all the way to the top. He has makes sweets so delightful, cakes so magical that Princess Celestia herself has declared them to be her favorite treats” explained Rarity.

“He must be very good then” said Fluttershy shyly.

“He is more than just good, he is a natural! And under the guidance of Chef Bordeaux Dragon Tongue quickly rose from apprentice to master and became so good that Chef Bordeaux himself pushed him to open this restaurant! And we are talking about Chef Bordeaux here, the most renown pony chef in all Equestria!” said Rarity with glamour.

“Wow!” exclaimed Fluttershy with her trademark softness.

“Yes! Chef Dragon Tongue will open his first venue in Manehattan, the city where he was born and grew up! And thanks to Chef Bordeaux even the Princesses are invited to the grand opening!” giggled Rarity excited.

“Well, is a shame that we cannot attend since the place will be packed and all” said Applejack in a slightly mean attempt to pull Rarity down from her cloud.

For Applejack’s surprise Rarity’s eyes beamed with joy and Applejack’s brain reminded her that Rarity was a mare of resources.

“Au contraire mon jument! Coco designed the uniforms and when I told her we were coming she got us a table on opening night!” beamed Rarity with joy.

“Still, remember that first and foremost we are going on a friendship mission! Fancy dinners can wait” pointed Applejack.

“Yes, yes, we will solve that problem in the blink of an eye” said Rarity faking interest.

“Well, usually the map is related with something important happening at the place we arrive. Maybe Chef Dragon Tongue is involved in all of this” reasoned Fluttershy.

“You are right Fluttershy dear! Oh that would be the most delightful of coincidences!” exclaimed Rarity as she hugged a flabbergasted Fluttershy. Applejack covered her face with her hat to prevent Fluttershy to see her face it frowned in anger. Applejack knew she should not get angry at the yellow pegasus since she only spoke out of good intentions and logic, but Applejack also knew that the words fed an insatiable beast. What if the map was not related to all that restaurant thing? It would take ages to convince Rarity otherwise.

It took about ten minutes for the train to reach destination. The three mares descended from the train and were greeted by Coco who kindly received the three ponies with a warm smile.

“Rarity!” said the cream earth pony as she hugged her business partner and friend.

“Coco dear, it was so kind of you to greet us in the station” said Rarity returning the hug. “You remember Applejack and Fluttershy.”

“Howdy?”

“Hi?”

“Of course I do! Rarity’s friends are my friends too” said Coco as she greeted the two mares.

“Thank you kindly miss Pommel. Now if we can go to our hotel to unpack” suggested Applejack.

“Oh, we will go there, after a small detour” said Pommel with a small mischievous smile.

“What do you mean Coco dear?” asked Rarity intrigued.

“I have a small errand to do and I programmed it so I can do it after I picked you three up. I’d have told you in advance but is a surprise for Rarity” explained Coco.

“Really!? Oh! I can’t wait to see it!” exclaimed Rarity excited.

“Is all good and well Coco, but we have a friendship problem to solve first” explained Applejack.

Rarity grabbed Applejack by the cheeks “Come on darling! Is just a small detour! Even Fluttershy agrees it wouldn’t do any harm, right Fluttershy dear?”

Fluttershy looked at her hooves insecure “I guess so?”

“Thank you!” Rarity hugged the three mares with effervescence joy, even though she did not know what the surprise was she just let her experience as a businesspony hint her of what the surprise was all about.

The four mares exited the station with the help of a station assistant who had suicidally decided to help them carry their bags, which meant mostly Rarity’s bags which counted as ten ponies worth of bags.

“EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it! The Manehattan Monster roams the streets again! Spotted near Mane Street! Read all about it!” were the loud words coming from a teenage stallion selling newspapers, on the cover an scary sketch of a dragon-like monster.

“What in tarnation is that monster thing?” asked Applejack bluntly.

“A monster!?” added Fluttershy scared.

“Oh, that’s just an urban legend about a creature that began roaming the Manhattan suburbs around seven years ago. Is just a tabloid rumor, nothing more” explained Coco.

“Phew!” said Fluttershy relieved.

“Honestly! Ponies would believe anything! A monster roaming a city without being seen? Preposterous!” said Rarity.

“I don’t know sugarcube, we have seen our fair deal of strange” cautiously remarked Applejack.

“Either way, we have things to do and ponies to meet” said Rarity as she lead her friends out of the station.

The four mares took a carriage that lead them to downtown Manehattan. Despite having been there more than a couple of times the three Ponyville residents still were wowed by the magic of Manehattan, no matter how many times they saw it for them it was a place of dreams.

“Here we are!” announced Coco as the carriage stopped in the corner of Mane and 5. There, near some of the fanciest restaurants and museums, stood a beautiful cafe that seemed to have been born out of dreams and magic, mostly candy magic. The theme of sweets merged perfectly with the design of a castle and though it seemed grand it felt inviting and familiar, as it was a calling for all Ponies to come have a seat and enjoy this, the most beautiful and sweet of cafeterias and candy shops.

“Whoa nelly! I guess this is far bigger than I imagined” said Applejack clearly surprised by the place.

“Isn’t it grand darling?” said Rarity hypnotized by the tasteful design.

“It looks yummy” added Fluttershy with her trademark innocence.

“Shall we go in?” invited Coco.

The four mares stepped inside the place and were greeted by an army of contractors rushing to finish every last detail. Speeding them up was an old grey Earth Pony Stallion with an old white mane and a chef’s uniform, waving around a big wooden spoon that threatened to descend over the head of anyone who was caught slaking.

“Move it you lazy bums! This place was supposed to be finished two days ago! And even after I fed you personally! The nerve!” shouted the stallion as he moved around with solid strides and an intimidating gaze.

“Ain’t that a cranky pony” commented Applejack at the scene.

“That’s chef Bordeaux himself!” exclaimed Rarity excited.

Chef Bordeaux noticed the four mares and turned towards them. His face immediately softened at the sight and his manners gave a 180º turn from the treatment he was giving the contractors.

“If it isn’t miss Pommel? To what do I owe the honor?” said the old chef with a smile.

“Hello Chef Bordeaux, I came here to check the last details on the uniforms. I brought along my business partner to help me, no extra charge of course” said Coco.

The veteran chef approached Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy. Like a fine gentlecolt of the times of old he saluted the three with a small reverence and a smile. “Good to see three beautiful young mares greeting us with their presence.”

The three mares reciprocated the chivalrous greeting. Rarity and Fluttershy openly blushed at the act of chivalry while Applejack tried to hide the fact that she wished more stallions would act like the old chef.

“Oh goodness, you sure are a gentlecolt Mr. Bordeaux” said Rarity.

“A mare should be treated always with the upmost respect” replied the old stallion with pride.

As the conversation took place two contractors passed by and ogled the four mares. The four of them noticed the close gazes. They did not mind that the workers had turned their heads to look at them when they came in, but those two were just being plainly disrespectful. Luckily for them the old chef was there to set the scores and both stallions soon found their hardhats hit by the wooden spoon with unexpected strength.

“How dare you look to a mare like that you filthy minded colts!?” roared chef Bordeaux with an intensity that surprised everyone in the place, the two contractors found themselves staring at their hoofs in shame as if they were colts scolded by their father. “Dear Celestia! Your poor mothers would cry in shame if they knew you treated mares like that! I tell you that you should behave like stallions! Now apologize!” ordered the chef.

“Sorry” mumbled the two stallions. Immediately the wooden spoon felt over them again.

“Talk like stallions and look them in the eye! And is ‘We are sorry for our shameful behavior’” ordered Chef Bordeaux.

“We are sorry for our shameful behavior!” said the two contractors, this time like well drilled soldiers. There was a general laugh from their co-workers who stared at the scene in amusement.

“Better. Now go become respectable stallions so that you can find yourselves proper mares. Same goes for the rest of you! If I see you just looking at them funny the next one gets the pin roll” threatened the old stallion. Immediately all the workers doubled their speed and focus.

“That ought to teach them” said the old chef satisfied.

“My hat goes of to you chef, you run a tight ship” said Applejack impressed at the level of discipline the chef demanded.

“After so many years running a busy kitchen this is nothing” replied the chef Bordeaux full of pride.

“Are you hitting the workers with the spoon again grandpa?” was the voice of a young stern mare coming from behind the counter. Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy and Coco saw a tall and beautiful pegasus pony mare coming toward them. She was as tall as Candance, her slim body a light purple color and her mane a beautiful white that felt with grace. She wore a lovely coat that covered her back but did not hide the fact that she was pregnant, probably at her last month. Her cutiemark was a crystal up entangled by a golden ribbon that bet in the shape of a heart.

“I am just drilling manners, that’s all my dear Crystal Cup” said Chef Bordeaux without giving up a single millimeter of his conviction.

“Hello Mrs. Crystal Cup” said Coco.

The mare immediately noticed the four new ponies in the building and changed her stern gaze for an adorably apologetic one. “Coco! I am so sorry! I did not see you or your friends!”

“Is okay Mrs. Crystal Cup, I bet your mind must be somewhere else with all your work, I sure can relate” said Rarity.

Crystal Cup immediately smiled towards Rarity and offered the white mare her hoof to shake. “You must be Rarity. Coco has spoke wonders about you. Nice to meet you.”

Rarity shook the hoof with politeness. “The pleasure is all mine. I am quite happy to be in the presence of such a beautiful mare.”

Crystal Cup blushed at the compliment and turned her attention to Applejack and Fluttershy. “You are Coco’s friends too, right? Welcome to the soon to be Castle of Sweets. I am Crystal Cup, the wife of Chef Dragon Tongue and the one in charge of the numbers.”

“Pleasure is all ours. Applejack, nice to meet ya all.”

“I am Fluttershy, nice to meet you too.”

“Coco, you must be here for the final touches to the uniforms, right? Please follow me. Your friends can come too, there are some sweets and tea in the factory if you want some” offered Crystal Cup.

“Factory? I though this was a cafe” said Rarity surprised.

Crystal Cup giggled. “Is both a cafe and a candy shop. The first floor will be mostly dedicated to selling sweets and confections while the second floor will be fully dedicated to the cafe.”

“Sounds like a wonderful thing” said Fluttershy.

“It will be. Now please, follow me” said Crystal Cup as she guided the five ponies through a door that passed through a huge and sparkling kitchen. “This is the main kitchen” pointed Crystal Cup.

There was a general “Wow” from Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack and Coco.

The group went through an even larger door and ended up in a small candy factory, the place was not operational yet but the feeling of how the place would be working soon gave the guests feel that the place would be a top of the line candy factory.

“Grampa!” yelled the voice of a small colt that rushed towards the group. “Hello Miss Coco! Hello friends of Miss Coco!” saluted a young copper colored unicorn colt in early schooling age. He was slightly rough looking but in a good sense of the word and his ears seemed a bit odd for a pony, but beyond that he was quite a charming colt.

“My goodness, who is this little gentlecolt?” asked Rarity, charmed by the manners and innocence that irradiated from the colt.

“This is my son Dragon Fang” introduced Crystal Cup.

“Nice to meet you all” said Dragon Fang.

“Pleasure is all ours young stallion” said Applejack which made Dragon Fang Blush.

“Crystal Cup dear, please bring your friends here for a cup of tea” said the voice of a mare. Her voice was almost as soft as Fluttershy’s only more tired.

The heads turned and sitting on the table was an earth pony mare that at her mere sight made Rarity gasp. The mare was a dirty white color and her long dirty blonde mane tied in braid pattern. She was clearly a mare leaving her middle ages but she was still astonishing despite bags under her eyes and a clear sense of frailty. It was like staring at a beautiful rose that bloomed right before winter came.

“She is my mother-in-law, Golden Voice” said Crystal Cup as she walked the group towards the table.

“Nice to meet you” said Golden Voice. Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy were surprised by the old mare’s voice, it sounded as if gold itself had a feminine voice.

Rarity approached the old mare as if she was a star. “So you are the mother of Chef Dragon Tongue? You must be very proud of your son.”

“Thank you, I indeed am” replied Golden Voice. Applejack noticed there was something in her reply, as if though true it also made other feelings surface.

“And where is the chef himself? Where is Dragon Tongue?” asked Rarity excited.

The air in the room got slightly heavier, Applejack and Fluttershy noticed it but Rarity was oblivious to it.

“My husband is running some last-minute errands” immediately said Crystal Cup.

“Oh” aid Rarity disappointed of not meeting the Chef privately.

“Shall we go for the uniforms?” asked Coco in a clear attempt to move the conversation in another direction.

“Sure! Follow me please. You two can sit and have some tea” offered Crystal Cup.

“I’ll make sure those lazy-bones don’t slack” said Chef Bordeaux as he went for the kitchen door.

“Please grandad, don’t kill them” pleaded Crystal Cup.

“I make no promises!” said the old stallion with a general’s attitude as he crossed the door.

Crystal Cup sighted and made a sign for Coco and Rarity to follow her, leaving Fluttershy and Applejack alone with Golden Voice and Dragon Fang. Golden Voice poured tea in a couple of cups and offered them to her guests.

“Thank you” said the two mares as they sipped the tea.

There was a bit of hesitation from Golden Voice before she opened her mouth.

“Something ain’t right here” thought Applejack, she immediately crossed gazes with Fluttershy who was aware as well.

“Um, is there something bothering you Mrs. Golden Voice?” asked Fluttershy with

“Well,” began Golden Voice as she avoided the two mares gazes “Coco told me you are friends of the Princess of Friendship, right?”

“Eeyup! The one and only Twilight Sparkle!” said Applejack proud.

“We are in a mission she assigned us. Well, is a map that she owns who assigns the mission but is all the same” asses Fluttershy.

“Oh” said Golden Voice with disappointment.

“But that does not mean we cannot help! I mean… we can help you if you need help” said Fluttershy.

Golden Voice’s eyes faintly lighted with hope. “Are you sure?”

“Yes ma’m! It could even end up that our mission is related to your problem” said Applejack with a smile.

Golden Voice’s eyes filled with tears of joy as the small Dragon Fang began to jump of joy.

“Yay! The friends of the Princess of Friendship will help us find my uncle!” celebrated the colt.

“So that’s what the chef is doing then, looking for his brother. Your son” concluded Applejack.

“Was it too obvious?” asked Golden Voice.

“It was by the way you reacted when Rarity asked for the Chef” pointed Applejack.

“Guess so.” Golden Voice looked at her grandson. “Fang, could you please get your grandmother’s purse?”

“Yes granny!” said the colt as he dashed to the other side of the room.

Applejack laughed lightly. “Must be weird for a mare as good looking as you to be called a grandmother.”

“At forty-eight it sure feels like that” smiled Golden Voice for the astonishment of the two other mares.

“Here you go grandma!” announced Dragon Fang as he handled Golden Voice her purse.

“So, who is this brother and why he is not with you or the chef?” asked Applejack.

“Is a long story, one of difficulties and pain” said Golden Voice as she took a picture out of her purse.

“Oh” said Fluttershy.

“It is also a story that I don’t like to share with strangers” said a stallion voice coming from behind Applejack and Fluttershy.

“Son!” replied Golden Voice.

“Daddy!” yelled Dragon Fang as he run to greet the source of the voice.

The emissaries of the the Princess of Friendship turned around only to be dazzled but what they saw. There, standing tall and regal, was a unicorn stallion. He was as tall as Big Mac, maybe even taller, his fur a metallic bronze color, unusual for a pony. His mane was short and cut in an almost serrated pattern, which matched the metallic grey of the mane’s color. His eyes were strong and penetrant but not quite pony-like, even if they looked almost the same. His ears had the same strange appearance of that of Dragon Fang and his stance commanded nothing but respect. His cutie-mark was a large knife with dragon motifs.

“I don’t believe you should share our story with strangers” said Chef Dragon Fang as he picked up Dragon Fang and approached the table. His voice was like of a warm glowing cavern, soft and inviting yet strong.

“Please son, they can help us” begged his mother.

“They are the friends of the Princess of Friendship!” added Dragon Fang excited.

“Yup! As friends and emissaries of Twilight Sparkle we are here to help” added Applejack proud.

Dragon Tongue did not seem impressed by the titles, something that was quite normal in Manehattan. “I still don’t like the idea, even if they were envoys of Princess Celestia herself.”

“We want to find your brother, they can help. Please let them help us” begged Golden Voice to her son.

Dragon Tongue gaze caved in to her mother request. “All right, but I don’t know how they can help us find someone that do not wish to be found. Luna! We are not even sure if he is here, and if he really is we don’t know if he even want to talk to me!” pointed Dragon Tongue. “By the way mother, Mrs. Warm Heart sends you her regards.”

“Now that that is sorted out who is this other son of yours?” asked Applejack.

Golden Voice placed the picture in from of the two mares, the image itself shocked them, but the explanation that followed was even more shocking.

In the picture was Golden Voice in the middle smiling with a soft, beautiful smile. At her right was a younger version of Dragon Fang, almost as tall as he was now, with a longer mane tied and comically showing a large, dragon-like tongue, which answered the question of how his mother came up with his name. On the left of Golden Voice though was the antithesis of Golden Voice herself. Standing tall, almost the size of Celestia herself and the build of a Reinmanic horse, smiling awkwardly at the camera with teeth that were on the verge of looking like fangs, was a metallic black unicorn pony stallion with a short mane that almost fused with his fur. He hulked over his mother and was easily a couple of heads taller than his already large brother. What was even more incredible is that his eyes were almost like those of a Dragon, something only someone that had faced a dragon would know, and his ears looked as if a reptile had grown pony ears.

“That’s your son!?” yelled Fluttershy, a high volume voice Applejack attributed to Fluttershy fear of Dragons which the black pony clearly resembled.

“Yes, that is my son, and Dragon Tongue’s twin brother: Dragon Voice” explained Golden Voice.

Both mares jaws dropped at the reveal. In her minds they understood why Golden Voice looked so frail, giving birth to Dragon Tongue alone should have been hard enough, but giving birth to him and that mountain of a pony, they wondered how she was still alive! Add to that that the twins looked nothing like each other, While Dragon Tongue had an elegant and graceful look to him, as if he was a living bronze statue, Dragon Voice looked like a dark rough mountain no one would even dare to get close to.

“Do you always have to show that picture?” asked Dragon Tongue, embarrassed of his youthful tomfoolery.

“I think it is a perfect representation of how we were before our family fully felt apart. So different yet so tight” said Golden Voice with melancholy.

“So… um… how did your family felt apart?” nervously asked Fluttershy.

Golden Voice sighted with sadness as she retrieved the picture and with gentleness put a hoof over the image of Dragon Voice.

“It is a story of love, loss and tragedy. A story where you can see how cruel fate can be to one who was once such a loving colt only to turn him into a cold hearted stallion” explained Golden Voice with sadness. Dragon Tongue lowered his gaze in sadness as his son hugged his father. “It all began almost twenty-eight years ago in this very city…”