• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 253 Views, 2 Comments

Gift of Flight - Skylas



Some never truly understood what the freedom of flight brings to a pegasus. So what about one that can't?

  • ...
 2
 253

Anger

The fall seemed to last an eternity in Sugar’s mind, even while she wasn’t conscious for most of it. A mass of confusion and thoughts burning into her mind, accepting the end she was most likely inevitably plummeting towards. Dreaming about her brief moment of hope, feeling like she had died already when her thoughts drifted towards how her wings weren’t the useless part of her… Her mind was, something as simple as peering over land would make her sick to her stomach. How could she call herself a pegasus, she thought.

Then her thoughts and and fears snapped back to consciousness, letting out a gasp as she had feared she had just collided with the ground, quickly feeling about, her head and body. Finally realizing she had awoken in her bed. Quickly trying to get up when she groaned, her wings feeling sore, they had never taken the full brunt of carrying her body. Laying back down, she looked over, towards the door, realizing that Red was laying on the floor nearby, her coat looked extremely ragged around her eyes.

Frowning, Sugar had slowly rolled out of the bed, walking around and laying a hoof on Red’s head, which was responded with sleepy talking from Red, muttering something about peanut butter.

“Ah… Red… Even asleep you make me feel ten times better…” Sugar calmly stated, padding gently out of her room, and into the hallway about to start down the stairs when she heard a voice coming from below, hearing her name, and then a rather gruff voice responded. Slowly making her way down the stairs, stopping halfway as she could clearly hear the voices now.

“Listen, Hon. I am sure Red is telling the truth.” the rough voice echoed softly to Sugar’s ears, before a quiet, yet clearly panicked voice responded.

“Blitz… You know how she is, Red is nice but, I don’t think Sugar would try something that insane unless she wanted to… not make it!” Sugar’s mother responded, clearly struggling to keep quiet.

“Listen to me, Honey Sweet. She’s got a level head on her, Sugar is just trying to test her limits, maybe she really is capable.” Blitz stated, getting a smile from Sugar, happy to hear her father’s confidence in her. It didn’t last once Honey spoke again.

“She hasn’t even tried that until today! T-To jump to such a step was bound to go badly, if she’s so smart, she would have known she wouldn’t be able to handle it.” the sound of hooves stepping about quite wildly sounded through the halls, “I think we should get her to a doctor.”

“Now now, there’s no need for that. Red said it was her idea, she was only trying to help-” Blitz didn’t get quite far in his statement.

“Help! Help what?! Get our daughter killed!? If she gets another crazy idea like that she won’t see Sugar again! If it isn’t her fault, then i’ll make sure it isn’t!” the shouting echoed through the home at this point, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I… Well you know how I feel…”

Sugar had slowly started to backpedal up the stairs, hearing one last thing before she had gotten out of earshot.

“I know Hon. Neither of us had a choice, neither did she. It’s not our fault. You need to remember that, now more than ever.”

Sugar took in a deep breath, carefully stepping back to her room, and into her bed. After all, she was still incredibly tired.

The day had really only just begun once Sugar awoke once more, groaning as she felt her wings sore from strain still. Her first instinct was to check for Red once more, who seemed to not be present anymore, however she spotted a small note on her dresser. Grunting as she exited the bed, Sugar made her way over to the dresser and peered over at the note.

“Sugar, I am incredibly sorry for what I did, I understand if you don’t want to see me for awhile. I would have waited for you to wake up but your mother insisted I leave. Hoping you still want to see me. From Red.” muttered Sugar to herself, sighing. “I’d better go find her.”

Stretching and grimacing as she stretched out her body, her muscles still feeling weak, before snorting, quickly trotting down the stairs, trying to pass by her mother quickly, but getting snagged by her tail.

“Sorry sweetie, but I don’t think you should go outside today.” said Honey Sweet after she spat out her daughter’s tail.

“Why not?” questioned Sugar, who turned to answer.

“Listen, what happened could have been a lot worse, I just don’t think you should be outside for a bit while you recover from what happened.”

“I’m out of bed aren’t I? Listen, I really need to find Red-” Sugar was interrupted as soon as the name left her lips.

“Oh no you WON’T! There’s no way she’s going anywhere near you for a long time!” through gritted teeth Honey Sweet spoke, her posture tilted forward, almost threateningly.

“Listen, it wasn’t her fault, she didn’t know I would faint!” Standing tall on all four of her legs, Sugar peered down at her mother.

“Oh and I suppose that makes it alright that she threw a FLIGHTLESS pegasus off a cloud!” Nose to nose, the pair stood, staring into eachother’s eyes with a similar passion burning in their eyes.

Silence had built quickly before Sugar moved back a bit, sighing and speaking slowly.

“Mom, I need to find her. Please.” stated Sugar, which was met by a cold stare from her mother.

“Fine.” said quite simply, Honey Sweet, as she turned tail and walked off without another word.

Sugar rushed outside, giving a shiver as the cold air hit her quite hard. Beginning her search for her friend.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment