• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 10,683 Views, 574 Comments

The Tale Of A Lost Wolf - Solaris Night



While preforming a new spell, Twilight accidentally summons a being, unlike anypony has ever seen, to Equestria. Can she and the rest of the girls befriend him and teach him the values of friendship?

  • ...
61
 574
 10,683

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 44: After Chaos, Comes the Light; Triders Resolve

The midday sun shined upon the land of Equestria and many ponies took pleasure in basking in its radiant glory. Trider on the other hand continued his relentless training, in order to achieve even greater power.

He picked up and tossed a large boulder high into the air, before chasing after it. Once he reached it he unleashed a barrage of attacks, until nearly half of it was reduced to rubble. He then let the stone fall to the ground and as soon as it smashed into it, he unleashed a powerful Ki blast at it, disintegrating it.

Panting heavily he observed the crater he had created, before he released his Super form and landed on the ground. He walked over to tree, where on one of its branches laid a towel, which he picked up and used to wipe off his sweat.

"I see you've been busy lately."

Immediately Trider turned around and shot a blast at the one who snuck up behind him. He realized too late what he had done and could only watch as Discords hands tried to grab at the air, where his head used to be. Before Trider could even move to help him or say his sorry, one of the draconequus' hands reached into the severed neck and pulled out Discords intact head.

"That was uncalled for." the spirit grumbled as he extinguished a small flame on one of his horns. "You could have really hurt someone with that. Dare I even say, kill."

"Oh I'm sorry. Maybe next time you don't sneak up on me while I'm training and my body is on a high dosage of adrenalin." Trider rebuted.

"Sheesh. Somebody can't take a joke." Discord said defensively.

The Kanisar procceded to pick up the towel he dropped and wiped of the remaining sweat. "What are you doing here anyway? We haven't heard from you in a month and now you show up all of a sudden?"

"I was busy." Discord reply quickly.

"Busy?" he looked at the spirit with doubtful eyes. "Busy enough to not help us when Canterlot was attacked?"

Discord knew what the Kanisar was suggesting and he didn't appreciate it. "OK, I'm only gonna tell you this one time. What I was doing was so much more important than the attack. I know you fell anger and grief, but don't even think about trying to pin some of the blame on me."

Trider continued to glare at the draconequus, before asking. "Even more important than Fluttershy?"

The question struck Discord hard. Everyone knew that out of all the people, Discord would only ever do anything for her. "Yes. Even more important than her." he said grimly.

Trider continued to watch him, but eventually he ceased his staring and sighed. "I see." he placed the towel back on the branch and sat down in the shadow. "So again, what are you doing here? You know we are not allowed to socialise without a babysitter?"

"Oh is the big bad wolf scared of little ponies?" Discord teased with a large grin.

"Of course you can say that, it won't be your hide that'll be screwed if you mess around with me." Trider answered, before shuddering. "You have no idea how scary my wives can get when they're angry."

"Oh I have an idea." Discord said and floated over to where Trider was. "Especially that Rose girl. She-" Immediately he stopped his sentence as he remembered to whom he was talking to.

Triders face turned grim as he fought back the tears that were building up. Discord didn't know what to do in this situation, since he was still new to friendship. He eventually reached his arm over and placed it on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry." was all he said, but nontheless it helped. "While I wasn't there, I did hear from Fluttershy about what happened."

"Thanks."

The two remained silent for a few seconds, as the atmosphere grew more awkward. Eventually Discord cleared his throat and asked. "How are the others doing, by the way?"

"Spike, Dynamism and Ace made a full recovery, although Dyna lost her right eye." he said depressed. "Whip and Rose on the other hand... The doctors said that Whip will recover in time, but that he probably won't ever be able to fight again. And Rose lost her magic."

Discord realized that it was hard for the Kanisar to talk about that, so he decided to change the subject. "You wanted to know why I came here, right?" Trider nodded in response. "Good. Just give me a bit."

Discord stood up, grabbed his protruding tooth and yanked it out with a single pull. "Here." he said offering it to the Kanisar.

"Uhhh, no." Trider quickly denied him.

"Oh don't be a baby." the spirit grumbled, before he snapped his fingers and the tooth changed into a large crystalline rock. "Is this better?"

Tirder gingerly grabbed the rock and inspected it. "What is this and why are you giving it to me?"

"Let's just say it's something extremely important and I need you to take care of it while I have... Some business to take care of." he explained, saying the last part in a dark tone.

"Do you really think I'm the right person to watch over this?" he asked, still looking at the rock.

"Actually you'd be one of the last people I'd give this to." Discord quickly quipped. Trider shot him an annoyed glare and the draconequus grinned. "But you are also the only one I can give this to. I'm afraid it would be too dangerous for anyone else to have it."

"OK, seriously what is this?" Trider asked, this time with concern.

"All in due time my friend." Discord replied, before he started to walk away. He stopped midway and looked back at the Kanisar. "I can trust you to protect it with your life?"

For the first time since he has known Discord, Trider felt that the spirit of chaos was serious and afraid. "I will." he said with resolve.

Discord smiled before he snapped his finger and a green door appeared in front of him. "See you later then." he said and walked through it.

***

Discord floated through the void as countless small lights passed by him. He stopped by a few and inspected them, before shaking his and floating off again.

"Where yould you be?" he pondered to himself as he continued to search. He has been at this for several hours now and he still made no progress. "Where are you hiding?" Suddenly he felt a sharp sting in the back of his neck and he immediately flew over to one of the lights. "Here you are." He reached out and grabbed the light and he was suddenly standing inside a large cavern.

He snapped his fingers and a flashlight appeared in his hand. He shone it around, trying to find an exit. What he found however was a pair of flashing blue eyes. Before he had time to investigate what it was, a changeling jumped at him and he moved out of the way.

"You gave quite a fright there little one." Discord said and continued to shine his flashlight at the insect. "What are you doing here? Are you lost?"

The changleing said nothing as he just hissed at the spirit. Suddenly the draconequus heard something scurrying around the cave and several more hisses. He snapped his fingers and the flashlight turned into a flare gun. He aimed it at the ceiling and fired.

The red light illuminated the entirety of the cavern and he could see that he was surrounded by hundreds of changelings. "Ruh-roh." he said, before the light from the flare went out.

The changelings shrieked in unison and attacked. Sounds of struggle and fighting echoed throughout the cave and once it stopped it was quiet for several seconds.

A loud snap then sounded off and the entire cave was illuminated. Discord stood on top of a pile of changelings, while wearing a blonde wig, a blueheadband and orange and blue jacket and trousers.

"You guys never stood a chance. Believe it." he said with a thumbs up and a victorious grin. His gloating was interrupted when he heard someone clap slowly. He looked around and saw several figures emerge from an entrance on the isde of the cave.

"Impressive. You truly are a spirit of chaos." the stallion said as he was pushed forward on his wheelchair. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"Comet Trail I suppose?" Discord said, as his clothes disappeared in a puff of smoke.

"The one and only." the stallion grinned. "It's an honor to be known by the master of chaos himself." he made a curt bow with his head, before rising it again. "Have you met my accomplices?"

The rest of the group stepped forward and Discord just glared at the. "So you're the ones responsible for what happened to Tia?"

"Indeed we are." Comet braged. "But you're not here for that are you?" he said and reached inside his shirt. He pulled out a black and silver necklace in the shape of an alicorn, with a large red gem in the middle of it. "You came for this."

Discords eyes widened and he gritted his teeth. "Tartarus Fragment."

"Correct. We got this one from the Canterlot Royal Treasury." he said and admired the necklace in his hand. "We were supposed to get it before the invasion, but we had to improvise."

"And I can assume you got the others as well?"

Comet laughed at what Discord said. "Sharp aren't you, for someone so old." he said and snapped his fingers. Bullseye stepped forward and brought a suitcase with him. He opened it and revealed several other pieces.

Fear fell onto the draconequus face as he bared witness to what was before him. He raised his hand to snap his fingers, but before he could do that a large cage fell from the ceiling trapping him inside. Discord quickly recovered and shot Comet a bemused smirk.

"A cage? Seriously?" he chuckled and snapped his fingers. However nothing happened.

"Try all you want Discord, but you won't succeed. This cage was made by our dearest Dr. Gene. It is composed out of antimag and is suppressing your magic." he said in a victorious tone. "You can struggle all you want, but you won't escape from there."

Discord grabbed the bars and glared at the stallion. "Do you even know what you're doing? Do you know what those stones are?"

Comet threw him a bemused smirk. "The Key of Tartarus." Discord was shocked by what the stallion said. "A relic created since ancient times, that was broken apart so nopony could use it. It is said that with the Key you can open the Gates of Tartarus and unleash the damned army within."

"If you know that, then why-"

"Because that is what I want." Comet interrupted him. "With this army at my disposal I'll be able to finally rid this world of all strife. Nopony will ever feel grief and will be happy. With me as their ruler." He sighed and once again looked at the amulet. "It's just too bad I'll have to part with this relic here. I've really gotten attached to it. Even though it is slowly corrupting my mind."

"I see." Discord said contemplatingly. "You really have no idea, what you'll really be unleashing. And it seems that no matter what I tell you, you won't listen to me."

"Indeed." Comet said and looked at Phantom. "Get the relic from him, so we can finally finish this."

Phantom nodded and walked over to Discord. He lifted a purple stone and held it in front of the draconequus. Several seconds passed and nothing happened.

"What is taking you so long?" Comet said, slightly agitated. "The cage won't hold him forever, not as long as he has the relic with him."

"It's not reacting." Phantom answered, still holding the stone.

"What do you mean not reacting?" the stallion asked, now clearly annoyed. "That gem is supposed to drag the relic from him by any means possible." Suddenly he realized. "You don't have it!"

"Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner." Discord teased as Phantom walked back to the others.

"But where would you put it?" Comet began to think vigorously. "You couldn't have just placed it somewhere, that would be too reckless. But you also couldn't have entrusted it somepony, since the corruption would destroy anyone who has mag-" A grin slowly began to stretch across his face. "The otherworlder. That wolf thing. He has it."

"Tsk, you're one smart cookie." Discord cided himself.

"You are really cunning Discord. You almost had me fooled." Comet said as he gave the spirit a small clap. "But you are very foolish. Without that relic you're almost powerless, not to mention that you can't live without it. I bet you're already with one hoof in the grave already."

"Too smart for your own good." Discord laughed.

Comet quickly turned his chair around and began to leave. "We head for Ponyville immeditely. We will get that relic by any means necessary."

"What do we do with him?" Phantom asked, pointing to Discord.

"Leave him. He's useless to us now and he'll die by himself eventually. No need to put any effort into it." Comet repleid.

Discord began to chuckle, which slowly rose into a full blown laughter. "You called me a fool and yet you're as foolish as I am." Suddenly magic surged through his body and it clashed against the bars of the cage. "While wihtout the relic I am only a fraction as powerful as I was before, I am far from powerless."

He continued to pour magic into the cage until it could no longer take it and it exploded. Discord flew out of the smoke that was generated by the explosion and was now face to face with the villains.

"It's 6 on 1 Discord, what do you hope to accomplish." Comet said. His eyes then shifted to the draconequus side and his smile grew larger. "Especially in your state."

Discord looked to hisl right side and saw that his arm was no more, it appeared as though it simply vanished rather than being cut or torn away. "If my arms are cut away, I'll just kick you. If my legs are torn apart, I'll just bite. And so on, until there is nothing left of me."

"Comendable." Comet praised. "Get him."

The group charged at him at the same time, but Discord snapped his fingers and he disappeared and reappeared beside Bullseye. The stallion aimed his gun at the draconequus' face, but he wasn't fast enough as Discord teleported again.

"You're slow old man." Bullseye taunted.

"You sure." Discord taunted back, the briefcase in his hand.

"What are you doing? Get it back from him!!!" Comet shouted.

"Don't worry boss. It's not like he can escape from here with the amount of magic he has." Bullseye said in laid back tone.

"True." Discord smiled. "But I can still do this." Suddenly magic began to swirl around the cavern and gather around Discord.

"Stop him!" Everyone tried to get close, but were pushed back by the waves of magic. And just as sudden as it appeareed the magic also dispersed. Everyone looked at the spirit and the empty case in his hand.

"You should keep your trap shut next time." Phantom chided Bullseye.

"What did you do?" Comet screamed at Discord. "WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

"I thought that since I can't destroy them I would just send them far away. Somewhere where noteven I can get to." Discord explained. His body began to fall apart like dust and his eyes could no longer focus. "But even with that it is only a temporary solution. And it appeares that I can no longer continue my mission."

He looked over to Comet and smiled. "Don't worry they'll come back in time. I'm sure you're already aware of that."

"Hmph, I've waited 700 years for my chance. So what is one more to me."

"True. You have managed to live that long thanks to that accursed spell." Weakly Discord lifted his remaining arm snapped his fingers. He suddenly appeared in front of Comet.

The stallion had no chance to react, as Discord reached with his hand inside him and Comet screamed in agony. After several seconds Discord removed his hand and smiled. Now only his neck and head remaining.

"Wha-?"

"Now I've sealed that spell away, so you can only use just one. More. Time." Comet stared at him with shock and rage. "I know that spell well and I know that the bodies you take over don't last very long. Enjoy the rest of your short life." He stuck out his tounge at the stallion. "Oh, just a food for thought. Are you sure you're the one in control?" With those last words he disappeared from this world.

"DAAAAAAAAMN YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!"

***

"Where am I?" Trider asked himself, as he walked through the darkness that surrounded him.

"If I had to take a guess, I would say it is your subconscious."

The Kanisar quickly turned to the source of the voice and spotted a familiar being. "Discord? What are-?"

"Sorry I don't have much time to talk, so just sit down and listen to me." Trider was wary, but he did what was asked of him. Discord cleared his throat before he began. "Trider, what I'm about to tell you is very important and all true, so don't think that I'm pranking you in any way."

"O.K?" Trider said unsurely.

"First of all, I am dead." Trider almost immediately jumped up, but was stopped by the draconequus. "I said sit down and listen. I'll answer all of your questions that you have with what I'm about to tell you."

Trider nodded and sat back down. "I gues it would be best if I start at the beginnig, so you can understand what is currently happening."

The scenery around them changed and the two were now in the middle of a large grassy field. "It all started over 10000 years ago, here on Equus. Back then numerous creatures and not just ponies roamed the lands." Trider looked around and saw beings he could never imagine. "And it was also home to beings who held tremendous power. Nowadays these beings would be refered to as gods."

"The land was prosperous and peaceful, everything was perfect. It was a perfect world. However, nothing lasts forever." The field suddenly changed to a battlefield where soldiers and warriors fought each other, spilling blood all over the ground and the sky was riddled with waves of magic. "The gods fell into a dispute and a war broke out. This war lasted for millenia and it destroyed the land completely."

The sounds of battle and screams stopped and only deathly silence remained. "Eventually the gods killed each other, until there was no one left. But while the fighting stopped, the consequences from it remained." The land began to twist and turn into itself, as horrid creatures began to walk across the land. Trider wanted to throw up from the sight of them.

"And this is the censored version." Discord commented, before he continued. "The magic of this world was corrupted and twisted beyond imagination and it seemed this world would remain in ruin forever."

"However a hope reamined. Three children of the gods survived, a brother and sister and one another." Three shadowy figures rose from the ground and they looked around the land with terror and shock. "And when they saw the world that was left they joined together to rebuild this world."

"It took them centuries and millenia to gather all the creatures and corrupted magic, and once they were done they used the magic to create a realm into which they sent the creatures and sealed it away." The scene played out before Trider and he listened intently to what Discord was telling him. "The realm was closed off and the brother of the two siblings voulenteered to watch over it so that nothing ever escapes it."

"And the other two?"

"The girl became responsible for day and night, since the magic made it impossible for the universe to do it itself. And the boy wandered around the land helping in its restoration." Trider saw the three young gods going about their tasks and watched as the land slowly regained it prosperity. "Peace returned to our world once more and everything was well. The brother was keeping guard of the realm, the boy continued to help anyone who needed it and the sister contineud to command the Sun and the Moon. She even fell in love and had children." he stopped and took a deep sigh. "However like I said before, nothing lasts forever."

"About 5000 years ago tragedy befell our world once again. The brother, despite his pure heart, was corrupted by the realm in which the monster reside and he took control over them. He then invaded the world with his army and threatened to bring it back into the dark era." As the scene played out, Trider saw Discord look at it with a sorrowful expression.

"The sister and the boy responded to his act and tried to persuade him, to bring back their friend. But it was all for naught. They were being overwhelmed by the army of monsters in their desperation they did the only thing they could." The two figures of the sister and the boy clashed with the distorted image of the brother and the sister used all of her might to defeat her brother, while the boy used his power to seal the realm once again.

"The sister sacrificed her life to seal her brother and his army inside the realm, while the boy used all of his gody power to close the gates and create a key with which to open it." The figure watched the massive doors with grief as he held something in his hands.

"He then proceeded to destroy the key and scatter the pieces across the land, in hopes that it would never again be opened. But because the key was connected to the realm it carried its corruptive magic with it, giving the user unimaginable power, but also corruption." The boy was now seen carrying two bundles to a house where he left them and walked away. "The boy made a promise to the sister that he would look after her two daughters, but since he was also in possesion of the most powerful fragment, he knew that he couldn't. So he left them with someone more capable than himself."

"And in time, the boy slowly succumbed to the fragment, his mind and body twisting in the chaos it brought until he could no longer remember anything about himself, except his mission." Trider watched as the figure slowly transformed, until it turned into a familiar shape.

"You?" he asked in disbelief, as he looked at Discord.

"Yes. I am the boy in the story. Back then my name was Raijat the god of nature."

"Why didn't you ever tell us? To Celly or Lulu?"

"Didn't I say that I lost all of my memories? I only remembered this after I gave you the fragment." Discord rebuted.

"Gave me the fragment? What fra-?" Suddenly realization dawned on him. "Your tooth?! Why the hell would you give me something like that?"

"Because, the fragment corrupts an individual thorugh their magic, but you don't have any, that's why." the spirit explained.

Trider looked at him unsurely as he pondered what he was told. "So you want me to protect it? From who?"

"The people who attacked Canterlot." he sighed and looked the Kanisar straight in the eyes, seeing rage build in them. "It would appear they wanted the fragment that was stored in the castle. And they got it."

"Then I'll find them and kill them." Trider growled and slammed his fist into his palm.

"No." said Discord. "This is not your fight. What I want you to do is take the fragment and with its and Twilights help go back to your world. Isn't that what you want?"

"My world?"

"Yes. You can go back home and help your people." Discord tried to persuade him.

"No." Trider immediately responded. "This is my home now. And I sure as hell won't let it fall to ruin."

Discord smiled at his immediate answer. "Very well. But I would still like for you to go back."

"Why?"

"Listen, this fragment will corrupt anyone who wields it or is close to it. If you reamin here your firends are bound to fall to its effects. This is why I'm usually not around much." he explained to the Kanisar. "Also if you go, the bad guys won't be able to go after you, so the fragment will be extra safe."

"So you want me to run?" Trider said angrily, gnashing his teeth.

"No, I have seen these guys and they are stronger than you are right now. What I want you to do is to take it with you and discover your new power on your planet and then come back."

"How do I come back, if there is no magic on my planet?" Trider wondered. "Do I bring Twilight with me or what?"

"No, no. The fragment will return to our world after a year and if you're holding it at the time it will take you along as well."

"So I go, get stronger, come back and kick ass? Is that what you're saying?" Trider summarized.

"Couldn't have said it better myself." Discord chuckled to himself. "And don't worry about other fragments. I took care so that noone will be able to get them for another year."

"I see." the Kanisar slowly nodded his head.

Suddenly Discord felt something tugging at him and he smiled. "It seems my time is coming. I'm afraid I'll have to cut our chat now."

"Is there anything you want me to tell the others?"

"Tell them that it was fun messing around with them. And to Fluttershy that I'm sorry that I won't make it to our tea time."

"What about Celly and Lulu?"

Discord reamined quiet for a bit as he pondered if he should say anything at all. Finally he sighed and smiled. "Tell them that I'm sorry I was such a terrible godfather."

Discords body began to glow and he slowly faded away. "Give'em hell in my stead champ." the spirit said and waved goodbye.

"You know it." Trider smiled as he watched his friend leave.

"Ah finally free from my mortal form." Discord sighed as he began to float through the vast bright void. "I hope they have something fun on the other side."

"I can assure you they do, but I don't think it will be to your liking."

Discord quickly turned around and saw a woman, the sight of which made tears fall down his face. "Maybe I can still have fun, if you're there with me. Themis." The woman giggled, which made Discords entire being shiver. "I'm sorry I didn't keep my promise to you."

"Don't worry." she said as she stepped closer to him. "I know you tried and you did your best. And thanks to that my daughters are living happily. I couldn't be happier." She then stretched out her arm. "Come Raijat, you've done enough. You can finally be free and rest."

Discord took her arm and saw it turn into something he had lost five thousand years ago. "I'm home." he said with a smile, as the two stepped into the light together.

***

"You sure about this Trider?" Twilight asked.

The Kanisar picked up his backpack and placed it on his back. "Yeah. I told Discord I'd do it and I don't want to disappoint him after what he had done for us."

Soon after Trider woke up he met up with everyone and told them what Discord told him. Everyone was shocked and saddened by what they were told, especially the princesses. And he told that he would go back home they were all against it, but he stayed adamant.

"Ya're gonna come back, right?" Applejack asked, her eyes red from crying.

"Absolutely." he said and kissed her. The two melted in each others embrace and only stopped when an annoyed Twilight cleared her throat.

Applejack smiled and stepped away from the Kanisar. "He's all yours."

Twilight thankfully nodded and kissed Trider as well. "I know I keep repeating myself, but be careful."

"And I'll always answer you 'I will'." After that he said goodbye to his other friends, who could come. Ace told him that Whip and Frost wish himgood luck as well. He stopped by Spike and leaned closer to him. "You better not slack off, ya hear." he threatened.

"No way." Spike said and the two shook hands. He then stopped by Celestia and Luna.

"Farewell. Hope you can help your people." Luna said and gave Trider a quick hug.

"Thanks Lulu. I promise that when I'm back it will already be resolved." he assured her.

Celestia used all of her strength to stand up so she could give Trider a hug as well. "Don't worry. We will make sure that the villains are found and punished, as well that we try to locate the fragments before them."

"Leave some of them for will ya." he said and winked.

With goodbyes said he walked to the spot where Twilight performed the spell which brought him here. He placed the fragment onto the ground and stepepd back.

"Ready?" Twilight asked.

"I could use a leak, but I think I can hold it." he replied with a grin.

Twilight shook her head and began to channel her magic. The fragment began to glow and crackle with power as it levitated into the air.

"Discord was telling the truth, I can feel the corruption flow into me." she said as she struggled with the spell.

"Should we stop?" Trider asked with worry.

"No, I can do this." the mare said and pushed on. The air around them began to swirl as the magic in the fragment intensified. After a few seconds a portal formed and Twilight stopped channeling her magic.

"This is it then." Trider said as he picked up the fragment and walked towards the portal. He stopped in front of it and looked back to his friends. They all smiled and waved at him, so he returned the gesture. "See you in a year." he shouted and turned back to the portal. He took a deep breath and walked thorugh the it. "Old home, new adventure." he said to himself as the portal closed behind him.

Author's Note:

And with this the story is finished. It will continue in the next part: The Fable of a lost Wolf.
I hope you enjoyed the ride till now and I hope you got da feels in this chapter (I'll be honset, I got teary eyed myself as I wrote this).
Until next time.

PreviousChapters Next