• Published 2nd Nov 2016
  • 10,683 Views, 574 Comments

The Tale Of A Lost Wolf - Solaris Night



While preforming a new spell, Twilight accidentally summons a being, unlike anypony has ever seen, to Equestria. Can she and the rest of the girls befriend him and teach him the values of friendship?

  • ...
61
 574
 10,683

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6: Training Wolf; Working Apple

Spike was out of breath and his legs felt like they were on fire. He and Trider woke up early, just so they could get some training done, before the Kanisar had to go to work at Sweet Apple Acres. Surprisingly the sleep addicted man was rather chipper, even though he prefers to sleep in.

Trider wanted to motivate Spike so he would keep up with him. "Pick up the pace Spike or I'll have you clean the pig stables, when we go to Applejacks."

At that Spike sped up and caught up with his mentor. Unlike him Trider barely broke a sweat. Spike could only imagine that Trider did this kind of training everyday for years. He wanted to ask him something, but had no breath to form a sentence. What came out of his mouth were only wheezing sounds.

"Six more miles." responded Trider. He smirked at Spikes look of disbelief at his answer. "And you'll suck it up or I might reconsider training you."

Spike managed to groan through his rapid breathing and followed the Kanisar to the best of his abilities.


"That. Was. Torture." the drake said with each gasp of air he took. He was lying on the grass, in a meadow near Sweet Apple Acres. "I feel like my legs will fall apart, if I just as much move them."

Trider walked up to him and looked down at him. "We've only just begun. Once you're done resting we'll do 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups and 100 squats."

If looks could kill, Spike would be slaughtering the Kanisar, while on fire. "What?" he shouted. "You can't be serious. Where in Tartarus did you came up with this training regime?"

The man scratched his cheek and shrugged. "Heard it from some bald dude, he said he's been doing this kind of thing for years and has greatly increased his physical strengh. So much so, he was able to take on a guy three times his size and knock him out cold with just one punch." Spike looked at him with skepticism. "So I decided to try it myself and I've got to say it actually works great."

Spike sighed and decided not ot argue with him anymore. "Alright, but once we're done with that and once you're done at Applejacks, you'll teach me some fighting moves, right?" he asked with hope in his voice.

Trider shook his head as he gave the dragon his answer. "Nope."

Spike stared at him, trying to see, if he was making some kind of sick joke. "You're kidding, right?" The Kanisar shook his head again and it got the drake angry. "Why not? I thought you'll teach me how to defend myself and others. Did Twilight tell you not to?"

Trider sighed as he sat down next to his friend and looked him in the eyes. "No, she actually supports my decision. And you misunderstood me a little. I'm not gonna teach you how to fight, because you're not ready yet." Spike gave him a confused look, so the Kanisar decided to continue. "Before we get to the good stuff, we must first make you physically capable of throwing and taking a punch. So after you get strong enough we'll begin with the real training. Understood?"

Spike mulled over what he said, before he slowly got up and nodded. "Yeah, I get it. So lets do this." He pumped an arm into the air with renewed vigor.

Trider chuckled and stood up as well. "Good to hear you got your energy back, cause once we're done here, you'll come help me with my work at Sweet Apple Acres." As quickly as it came, so quickly Spikes enthusiasm left the drake. He looked at the man hoping he heard him wrong. "That's right you're coming with me and helping me. And before you whine why, it's to increase your strength even faster. The labour at the Apples is taxing and is sure to help you with your training."

Crying out the drake collapsed to the ground once again, suddenly feeling drained of all energy he started to moan in despair. Seeing him like that made Trider chuckle. What he said about the work being part of his training, was only half-true. Another reason being that, when they came back yesterday, Applejack gave him an earful for skipping out on his duty to go adventuring. As punishment, he had to do double the work, at the same payment for the next week. He couldn't argue with the mare and accepted what was coming to him, but not before he decided to drag Spike into this as well. It was sort of his fault he had to leave town.


"Hey AJ!" Trider called out to the mare as he walked up to the barn.

"Howdy Trider!" she greeted back. "Yer here earlier than usual, how-" She couldn't finish her sentence as she saw Spike slumped over the Kanisars shoulder, seemingly unconscious. "What happened to him?" she asked.

The man glanced at his dragon friend. "Oh he is just a little tired from our training." He answered with a toothy smile. "But even despite that he voulenteered to help us out on the farm, just so he could get stronger, more quickly."

At that Spike groaned and the mare just gave a deadpanned look at the man. "Yer only usin him to make yer work easier, ammirite?"

Trider sighed as he put Spike on the ground and leaned him against the wall of the barn. "Nothing escapes you. It's like you're fucking psychic or somthing."

Applejack crossed her arms as she smirked. "Nah, yer just bad at lyin, like yer bad at stayin out of trouble."

"Ouch, you're not holding bad today." he said sarcastically.

They both laughed, until they heard Spike stir. He slowly got up on his wobbly legs while supporting himself on the wall. "Ah you're up already. Good, that means you still have enough energy to help us with the work." Trider remarked.

"Do I really have to?" the drake whined. "I can barely stand, how am I even supposed to work like this?"

Applejack gave him a symphatetic look as she spoke to him. "Don't ya worry a bit Spike. Ya can go help Big Mac with fixing the fence on the eastern part of the orchard. All ya'll have to do is hand him over the tools and such, so ya'll still have some time to rest."

Spike wanted to hug the mare, but his arms and legs didn't want to listen to him. "Thanks AJ you're a lifesaver."

At that moment Big Mac walked up to them dragging behind a cart with wood and tools. "Speakin of which..." said the mare as she walked up to her big brother. "Heya Big Mac, ya headin to the eastern orchard?"

"Eeyup." was his signature reply.

Applejack nodded as she pointed a finger at the drake. "Listen Mac, ya don't mind if ya take Spike with ya to help ya out. Trider wants him to do some work as training." She looked at Spike and saw how he struggled to move towards them. She got closer to her brother and whispered in his ear. "But make sure ya don't go too hard on him, he looks like he just went to Tartarus and back, and is ready to collapse at the slightest burden."

"Eeyup." was all the stallion said as he went over to Spike, lifted him into the air with zero effort and put him in the cart. Mac then began to pull the wagon to where they were headed.

"Thanks Big Mac and sorry for making you drag me there like this." Spike said to the red stallion as he rubbed his head.

"No problem Spike." Before they were too far away from the other two Big Mac turned to them and spoke up. "AJ make sure ya don't overwork yerself again."

Soon they were out of Triders and Applejacks sight and the two faced each other. "What did he mean by that AJ?" he asked.

Applejack sighed as she turned around and headed into the barn, Trider following. "Nothin, he's just worryin too much." she sighed.

"If you say so." He shrugged. "So? What are we doing today?" asked the man.

The mare went over to the cart filled with baskets and lifted up the handle to pull it. "What we always do Trider, buck apples." she said with a smile.

The Kanisar facepalmed at the obvious answer. "Of course, what else would an Apple do besides harvesting apples?" He looked at the mare and grinned. "Maybe we should plant a pear tree to liven up this monotone orchard don't you think?"

The mare glared at him with such intensity, he could swear she wanted to burn a hole through him, just with the glare alone. "Don't even think bout it." she said in the most serious tone, he ever heard her say.

"Jeez, can't you take a joke?" he asked, raising his arms in defense. Without answering the mare turned around and began to pull the cart. Trider wiped a drop of sweat from his forehead and followed the mare. "These mares sure can get scary when they want to." he thought.


Sometime later

Trider delivered a strong kick to the trunk of the tree. As soon as he hit it the tree shook and the apples fell out of it, directly into the baskets below. He bent down to pick up the ones that didn't fall in and then he took the baskets to the cart. They've been doing this for the whole day, not even taking a short break after they ate lunch and it was begining to wearing him down. He looked over to the mare and saw she was still going at it with full power. He was impressed she was able to work so hard, day in and day out. That was one of the many things he liked about her. But when he got closer he saw she was pouring sweat and her face was showing tints of red. Getting even closer he could hear how rapidly she was breathing and she wobbled everytime she tried to buck a tree.

Worried about her well being he approached her. "Applejack you all right, you don't look too good?" he asked with worry.

The mare turned to face him and swayed back and forth as she spoke to him. "Ah'm fine sugarcube, just a little drowsy that's all. Now we better get back to work, if we wanna finish this by the end of the day." She went up to the next tree and lined herself up to kick it. But as she raised her leg, she lost her balance and fell forward. Before she could connect with the ground, Trider caught her in his arms.

Up close Applejack looked even worse. Her mane was in a mess and her eyes were bloodshot. Putting his hand on her forehead, he felt for her temperature. "Applejack you're litterally burning up, it seems you caught some sort of fever." he said as he looked her in the eyes. "We should get you back home so you can get some rest."

Applejack tried to push him away from her. "No need for that partner." she said. "Ah'll be fine just a quick rest and ah'll be good to go."

Trider however didn't budge instead he looked at the mare with a stern gaze and said in a commanding voice. "Listen here, you thick headed idiot. You're not well and no matter what you say will convince me otherwise. I'll take you back home so you can get some proper rest and I'll finish the job here by myself. Got it?"

Before she could argue with him he lifted her up in his arms and began to head towards the house. Applejack tried to force him to put her down, but as she was held in his arms, she suddenly lost all of her will to struggle. The way she was carried reminded her of the fairy tales her granny told her about, in where the princesses were carried away by their princes, to live happily ever after. She sighed as she felt his embrace. She put her head on his chest and heard his heart beating in a calm rhythm. Her thoughts went back to when the two kissed and she blushed, making her coat even redder than it was before.

Trider picked up his pace as he saw her flushing face. "Applejack," he spoke up, earning the mares attention. "Is something bothering you?"

The mare looked around frantically as she stammered. "N-no, nothings wrong. W-why w-would you ask that?"

The man chuckled. "You're even worse at lying than I am." he said. "I won't force you to tell me, if you don't want to talk about it, but I will say this." He looked at her sternly. "If you have problems you can talk to me or you other friends. Don't try to hide it with working yourself to exhaustion as it will only make us worried, okay?"

The mare looked at the ground and smiled sheepishly. "Is it that obvious?" she asked.

"To others maybe not," he said. "But I've been in the same situation like you multiple times, where I wanted to forget my problems by training continuously, rather than talk about them." He paused for a little, before continuing. "One time I trained so hard I collapsed from exhaustion, like you, and had to be taken to a hospital due to fatigue and dehydration."

The mare chuckled at his story. He always told her about all the misadventures he had back on his homeworld adn every one of them made her laugh, some of which reminded her of herself. Then her expression fell, as she thought if she should talk to him like he said she should. "Trider," she whispered to gain his attention. "What do you think of me?"

The Kanisar looked at her confused. "That's what's bothering you?" he asked incredulously. She nodded her head, averting her gaze at the stupid question she asked. Trider sighed as he gave her his answer. "Why?"

She looked around trying to come up with a good reason. "It's just that, all mah life the others told me ah wasn't like the other mares. Ah was rough, liked to get dirty and all that stuff that girls usually don't like to do." she paused as she looked at him, his gaze telling her to continue. "It's come to the point where even stallions started to treat me like one of the guys, rather than a mare and ah can't balme them." She sighed as she continued. "Ah don't wanna change myself just so the stallions will start to notice me as a mare, but at the same time ah'm worried ah won't find somepony who will like me for who ah am?"

Trider closed his eyes as he mulled over all of what she told him. "Well, they're not wrong. You do act more like a stallion than a mare." At those words Applejacks ears fell, despair written on her face. the man however didn't notice and he continued. "But nothing's wrong with that, if you ask me." The mare looked at him, interested at what he had to say. "Sure you're stonger and tougher than any normal stallion, but that is just one of the things I like about you." She blushed at his statement. "Maybe that is just cause I'm a Kanisar though."

She looked at him confused. "What do ya mean?" she asked.

"As I already told you and everyone else, but I come from a warrior race, we know how to fight as soon as we learn to walk. And cause of that fighting is in our blood." he explained. "With that fighting instinct also comes the need to seek out a strong partner. So my kind always strives to find not only the most beautiful, but also the strongest and bravest partner we can find." He gave her a small smile as he continued. "If you were on my planet, you'd be flooded by all the males and probably even females who would be interested in forming a relationship with you, even if you are a pony."

At that the mares blush returned and she fidgeted in his grip. "Ya really think so?" she asked in hope.

"Well, duh. I mean you're beautiful, strong, tough, though you can be a bit stubborn at a time. Like now for instance." Trider assured the mare.

The mare couldn't hear him finish his sentence as she blushed at what he told her about herself. "He thinks ah'm beautiful?" she thought.

Before she could say anything, they arrived at the house where Big Mac and granny Smith were already waiting. As the two approached Mac sighed. "Didn't ah tell ya not to overwork yerself?"

Trider put the mare down, Applejack reluctantly letting go of him. "Yeah, yeah. Just let me go to my bed already." She walked to the two, although still a bit wobbly.

Trider strechted his arms as he turned around. "Well I'll be going back to finish the job. You guys make sure she gets her rest."

Granny and Big Mac nodded, satisfied the man walked off, back to where he came from. When Applejack came to the two, they both looked at her with smirks on their faces. "Wut?" the mare asked.

"Oh nothin, sugarcube. Just wanted to tell ya yer coat is turning more red than yer brother here." the elder mare chuckled.

"Eeyup." confirmed the stallion.

Applejack deadpanned as she walked past the two. "That's cause of the exhaustion and the sun. If you'll excuse me ah have a rest to take."

Granny Smith giggled as she looked at her granddaughter. "And don't even think bout overworkin yerself again, just so you would be carried by yer coltfriend like that again."

"HE AIN'T MAH COLTFRIEND!" yelled the mare from upstairs, as the elder mare and stallion laughed their hearts out.

Author's Note:

Hey there readers!
You're probably going 'Wow he hasn't posted another chapter in three days, how could he let us down?' and to that I have to say... Nothing really.
I took a weekend off so I could focus on school for a little and also to recover from all the work I put on myself to write a new chapter every next day (says after writing a chapter about overworking oneself). The only one to blame for that is me alone. This break allowed me to come up with some ideas for future chapters, which is nice.
So a shipping chapter this time, I already have champagne ready all I need is a crew to help the ship sail.
And as always, comment about if you liked it and if there are any errors.

PreviousChapters Next