• Published 5th Nov 2016
  • 355 Views, 2 Comments

Thicker Than Water - -TheStoryteller-



One mistake in the past comes back and leads to serious consequences.

  • ...
 2
 355

Shell Game

“Where are you going?” Willow asked. She rubbed her belly as she spoke, trying to calm the foal kicking inside her. Her husband barely kept the look of annoyance off his face as he turned to her.

“I’m just going out with some friends, honey,” Urbane said as he forced a smile. They’d only been married less than a year, and she was already starting to get clingy. “I’ll just be out for a few hours. Besides,” he added, “it’s part of work. I have to maintain my business contacts if I’m ever going to get promoted.” He looked around their small apartment. “Do you really want to raise our child in this place?”

The cream-colored Earth pony mare looked down. “I’m happy wherever I am…with you.”

Urbane felt a pang at these words. They were almost enough to get him to change his plans. Almost. He shook his blonde mane out of his eyes and used his magic to tuck the blanket she was using around her legs more snuggly. “I’ll be back before you know it,” he said with a smile.

At his smile she glared at him. “Don’t come back.”

Startled, he asked, “What did you say?”

“I said ‘don’t come back!’ If being with your friends is more important than being with your pregnant wife, then stay gone!” She then ripped the blanket away from herself, stormed into the one bedroom and slammed the door. Paint chips flew off it from the impact.

Urbane gritted his teeth and went to the closed door. “Honey, you don’t mean that.”

“Just go!” she shouted. Now it was his turn to get angry.

“Fine, I will! Don’t wait up for me!” He quickly grabbed his jacket in his field, threw it on and slammed the apartment door as he left.
He was fuming as he trotted along. How dare she raise her voice at him?! He just wanted to go out for a bit, what was so wrong about that? It’s not as if they were joined at the hip! These resentful thoughts kept his mind occupied until he finally arrived at his destination.

He paused and looked inside the brick tavern before entering. It was one of the oldest bars in Manehatten, with torch sconces outside and a plate glass window in front. Within, he could see several ponies laughing and drinking, as the house band sent soft jazz wafting out the open front door. Everything was dark wood, from the bar itself with brass highlights where the bartenders served to the tables and padded chairs dotted around the floor. It was an altogether inviting establishment, much nicer than the dingy fourth-floor apartment where he lived. Thinking of his home briefly brought up the memory of his recent fight, but he shook himself again, squared his shoulders and ventured in.

To his disappointment, he saw no ponies he recognized. He walked up to the main bar and seated himself on one of the stools, then looked around again. It was a fairly busy evening, as the working ponies mingled with a few of the upper crust that were obviously slumming.

Just then, he saw something that made him catch his breath. Or rather, he saw somepony, if pony she was. There, sitting by the back wall, her eyes closed as she swayed to the music, was one of the most exotic creatures he’d ever seen. He wasn’t sure, but he guessed she was a threstral, a bat pony. She was the color of the sky at twilight, her ears tufted and her wings held to her side. But what was most curious was her mane, while a darker shade than her coat, held a single streak of silver that contrasted nicely with her color. Then, as if obeying some summons, she opened her eyes and stared across the bar at him, and her slit pupils against her yellow irises made him catch his breath again. He quickly looked down, then slowly glanced back up at her. She smiled at him, then closed her eyes and began swaying to the music once more.

He was suddenly wracked with indecision: should he venture over and speak with her, or turn around and go back to his wife? He glanced up at her again. She was so exotic, so alluring…what could be the harm in just talking to her? Before he could change his mind, he ordered two malt ciders. When they arrived, he nervously took them up in his field and made his slow way over to her, thinking of then discarding one pickup line after another. Finally, he stood before her, slightly shaking. She opened her eyes and smiled at him again. The only thing that came out of his mouth was, “Hi.”

She tilted her head and then gestured at the seat next to her. Urbane swallowed, then placed the drinks down and took his place.

“So,” he nervously began, “what’s your name?”

She took a sip from the drink he’d offered her and said with a noticeable accent, “Duski.”

“That’s a pretty name.” Thinking quickly, he said, “I…I’m…Beau. Pleased to meet you.”

The smile never left her face as she asked, “Vy so nervoos? Haf you nefer seen my kind befores?”

“No…not up close.”

She really seemed to be enjoying herself as she then asked, “Vell? Vat do you tink?”

Urbane stared at her as the first thing he could think of escaped his lips. “You’re absolutely beautiful.” She laughed, a lovely, tinkling sound.

“You are verry kind.” She added under her breath as she took another sip, “und handsome.” Urbane brightened at this and most of his nervousness slipped away.

They kept speaking for almost an hour while he learned she was traveling on her own throughout Equestria and would not be in the city very long. Finally, she purred, “Vould you like to see vere I am stayink?”

Guilt arose within him like a wave, but he forcibly pushed it down. “Yes. Yes, I’d like that very much.”

**********

Fourteen years later

Urbane gazed out the window of his executive office down, down to the teeming streets below. He could still remember when he’d been one of the masses, living in that tiny apartment with just his wife and his first child. Now he was vice president of a large advertising company, just waiting for the boss to retire so he could step up. Which given the boss’ age, that shouldn’t take much longer.

He looked at the clock. It was past time for lunch, so he buzzed his secretary.

“Ms. Typeset, send one of the interns out to that new noodle place. I’m feeling peckish.”

“Right away, Mr. Mannerly!” she buzzed back.

Half an hour later, there was a knock on his door. He didn’t look up as he said, “Come in.” He heard the door open and he kept working as he absently said, “Just set it down anywhere.”

A sultry voice said, “Is here ver you vant it?”

Urbane’s eyes grew wide as he slowly looked up to face the pony. His heart lurched when he saw the bat pony standing before him, his plate of food perched along one wing.

“D…Duski?” he stammered.

The bat pony looked puzzled. “Who?”

Now he was really confused. He stared at her, far beyond what was polite as she fidgeted. But there was no mistake: he recognized her face, even though the last time he’d seen it had been that night so long ago. The clincher was she had that same streak of silver in her mane, parted to the side just as it had been.

“Aren’t you…Duski? And don’t you remember me?”

“I ahm verry sorry, sir. I do not knows you.” She stepped forward and placed his food on the desk. “Vill there be anythink else, sir?”

He stared at her a moment longer, then said, “No…no that will be all. Thank you.” She nodded, then turned and left, closing the door behind her.

Urbane was in turmoil. That had to be her, no question! And why had she decided to turn up after all this time? He’d never told his wife about his one and only affair and after all these years he’d never had to. But now the bat pony was back in his life, pretending. This was bad. This was very bad. What did she want?

He buzzed his secretary again. “Ms. Typeset, can you come in here please?”

“Yes, sir!” After a few moments, an older blue unicorn mare entered, a clipboard held in her magic and half-glasses perched on her nose. Her mane was done up in a librarian’s bun and a yellow wool sweater was tied around her shoulders. “What can I do for you, sir?”

“That…intern. What’s her name?”

“Oh, the bat pony. Her name is Bianca…Bianca Nightshade, I believe. Why, did she do something wrong?”

“No…no! She’s fine. I was just…curious about her.”

Ms. Typeset smiled. “I know sir; we don’t see too many of them in Equestria. She was just hired a few days ago.” Then she paused. Ms. Typeset had been working for him for a number of years, and by now she could read him quite well. Her employer was visibly sweating and that was not a good sign. “I can have her moved to another office, sir. Interns are shuffled all the time, it’s no problem.”

He started to say no, then he realized what a relief that would be. “If…if you think that’s best, Ms. Typeset.”

“Very good, sir. I’ll see to it.”

“Thank you. Umm…what are you going to tell her?”

She smiled. “Don’t you worry about it, sir. Leave everything to me.”

After she’d left, he stared at his food, then picked it up in his field and threw it away. He’d completely lost his appetite.

A few days later was the weekend and Ms. Typeset had been as good as her word, for he’d not seen the bat pony again once since that first day. Still, the knowledge that she was somewhere in the building gave him unease, but as long as she kept to herself and out of his life he figured he could live with it.

As he walked down to the front of the building with his briefcase and other papers in his saddlebags, he stopped and hailed a taxi. He looked around while he climbed in and saw her just leaving the building. He ducked down and said, “Go!” to the taxi driver.

“Where to, buddy?” said the earth pony, unperturbed. Urbane gave him the address and the driver started off. Urbane peeked out the back window and spotted her again, chatting with some other ponies. That was close, but it looked like she hadn’t seen him. He breathed a sigh of relief and settled back into the cushions as they trotted along.

Soon, they arrived at his beautiful home. A high hedge surrounded the property, while a manicured lawn stretched out within it. The house was a two-story affair, with white columns gracing the front and large picture windows throughout. The house itself was mainly red brick, with two chimneys for the fireplaces in the den and master bedroom, respectively. Outside, two of his four children were playing, and they looked up and squealed with delight when they saw their daddy get out of the taxi. Urbane smiled, paid the driver and got out, sweeping both the children up in his magic.

“Welcome home, Daddy!” cried Gadget, his youngest. She was an earth pony like her mother, with a pale blonde mane and darker coat. Beside her was her twin, Fidget, who echoed his sister.

Smiling, Urbane asked “Where’s your mother?” as he carried them both into the house.

“I think she’s upstairs,” said Fidget. “But what did you bring us?” he added.

“Now, son, I don’t always have a present for you,” he said as he set them both down inside. Both twins folded their ears back and pouted. Urbane waited a few seconds, then chuckled and reached into his saddlebags with his magic, pulling out a picture book for each of them. They both brightened and clutched their books in a foreleg, just remembering to shout “thank you Daddy!” over their shoulders as they sped off upstairs to their room.

Urbane continued into the house. He’d given his wife free reign in decorating, so the interior was a colorful blend of wood paneling, muted carpets and various paintings. He met his oldest child, Pepper, as she was coming down the stairs.

“Hi, Dad.” Like her father, she was a unicorn and she had his coloring. Even their cutie marks were somewhat similar, as his was a bowler hat and her’s was a chef’s toque. Urbane smiled as he recognized the ever-present cook book she held in her magic.

“Have a good day at school, sweetie?”

“It was the best, Dad!” Her enthusiasm made him stop halfway up the stairs.

“Oh? Why is that?”

“We got a new home ec teacher that has promised to teach us all sorts of dishes from her native country! She’s so nice!”

A little voice awoke inside him at the words, ‘native country,’ but he pushed it aside. “That’s good, baby girl. I’m glad you like her.” He smiled again and continued up the stairs.

But his daughter’s next words were unavoidable.

“She’s a bat pony!”

Urbane froze on the steps. “What…what did you say?”

Pepper looked up at her father and said, “I mean, she’s a threstral. You know, like Princess Luna’s Night Guards.”

That little voice was not so little now, as fear rose up inside him. “What’s…her name?”

“Miss Shadowsong. But she told us to just call her Miss Elenni.”

He turned and looked down at his daughter and something must have shown on his face for she frowned and said, “Is…is something wrong, Dad?”

“Hmm? No…no, everything’s fine,” he said as he turned and continued up the stairs. Pepper watched him go, the frown still visible on her face. Something was definitely bothering him. She’d find out what it is, later. Right now she had a new recipe to try out, so she went straight into the kitchen.

As for Urbane, he was more than a little confused. Bat ponies weren’t that common in Equestria, so what were the odds of two of them showing up outside of being employed as Royal Guards? Then he shrugged and even chuckled to himself. He was probably just being paranoid.

He soon made his way down the carpeted hallway to the master bedroom and opened the door. He looked around for his wife and found her seated at her vanity trying on jewelry. He walked up behind her, pulled her mane up in his magic and nuzzled the back of her neck. Willow jumped and turned around.

“Dear! You startled me!” as she pushed him away. Undeterred, he came in for another kiss.

“Stop it, I look a mess!” she cried as she tried to half-heartedly fend him off. He moved in and kissed her deeply, which she returned. When they broke the kiss, she looked up at him and said, “What’s gotten into you? It’s the middle of the afternoon and the kids are still awake!”

He smirked. “We can lock the door,” he smoothly said.

Even after all those years, he could still make her blush, but she said, “No, I have to get dinner started. You behave.”

He stuck out his bottom lip, which made her laugh and say, “Don’t worry.” Her voice became low as she added, “Good little boys get dessert…” She gave him another playful nudge and headed out the bedroom. He watched her go, then sighed as his thoughts returned to the day’s events. He could feel a headache coming on as he kept thinking about the situation, so he decided to take a nap. He stumbled over to the four-poster bed and lay down.

About an hour later his namesake stuck his head in the bedroom and said, “Dad? Dad! Wake up! Mom says dinner’s ready.”

“Huh? Wazzat? Junior?” as he sat up and rubbed his eyes.

Urbane Jr. chuckled. “You were really snoozing there, Dad. Dinner’s ready.”

“Okay, okay…I’m up.” He yawned and then all the thoughts came rushing back. The younger unicorn had turned to go when Urbane stopped him. “Hang on. Umm…how was school?” His son looked back at him and cocked an eyebrow.

“Seriously?”

Urbane began to look somewhat defensive as he said, “Well, yes. I’m interested in how you’re doing.”

“Just fine, Dad. C’mon, I’m hungry!” He started to turn away again when Urbane stopped him with another question.

“You…have any…new teachers?”

“Why in the world would you want to know about that?”

“Just answer me.”

No, Dad. No new teachers. Can we eat now?”

Urbane rubbed his eyes. “Sure, Junior. Go ahead; I’ll be down in a minute.”

The family was already digging in by the time he’d made it to the dinner table. Urbane smiled and took his place.

“What took you so long, dear?” asked his wife. “Are you not feeling well?”

Urbane helped himself to a large helping of the broccoli casserole and said, “No, I’m fine. Just a bit of a headache.” Willow got up from her seat and felt his forehead.

“You’re not warm, so no fever. Take some medicine after dinner; that should clear you up,” she said.

“Thanks, honey.” He then addressed his oldest as his wife resumed her seat. “So, Pepper…tell me about this new teacher.”

**********

Saturday morning Urbane was awakened by the sound of the landscapers working on the lawn. He started to roll over and shut them out, but it was no use, he was now awake. He yawned, stretched and looked around for his wife. She’d already gotten up, and he could smell breakfast being prepared, so he arose from bed and put on his robe. Idly, he went to the window to look down at the workers, then he froze.

He recognized his regular gardener, Mr. Trimmings, but it was one of his new helpers that arrested his attention. It was a bat pony. He couldn’t tell its gender from this distance, but he knew he’d never seen him or her before. Then the bat pony turned and faced the window and Urbane’s heart speeded up a few notches. Sticking out from under the landscaper’s cap, he could see a streak of silver in the otherwise dark mane. Looking closer, he could now see it was a female.

It couldn’t be! He rushed down the stairs and then stood at the window, watching her. Sure enough, it was the same pony he’d seen at his job, but now she was working here as one of his gardeners. He debated going outside, but he had to know! Cinching his robe more tightly around himself, he then went outside and straight up to Mr. Trimmings. The gardener looked up and said, “Good morning, Mr. Mannerly! Great day, isn’t it?” The other landscapers continued their work and didn’t look in his direction.

“Can I talk to you for a moment?” Urbane asked him.

“Certainly, sir. What’s on your mind?” the older Earth pony asked.

“Not here; come into the house for a moment.”

The gardener looked puzzled, but followed him into the house. Once they got there, he asked, “Is something wrong, Mr. Mannerly?”

“I just wanted to ask you about that new employee. What’s…what’s her name?”

Mr. Trimmings turned and looked out the window. “Oh, her! She’s Elda Nightfang. You wouldn’t think a bat pony could do as well a gardening job as an Earth pony, but she’s great!” He looked back at Urbane. “I know it’s a bit unusual, but I assure you sir, she’s very good at her work.”

Urbane just looked out at her and frowned. The older Earth pony watched his face and frowned himself. “If she bothers you that much, I can use her on other jobs, sir. She doesn’t have to come here.”

Urbane considered. Finally, he said, “No, that’s fine. She…just reminds me of somepony I used to know.” He briefly considered going out and speaking with her, but soon dismissed the idea. Whatever game she was playing, he wasn’t going to help her along. He turned to the waiting Earth pony. “That will be all, Mr. Trimmings. Sorry for keeping you from your work.”

“It’s no trouble, Mr. Mannerly. I just want all my customers to be satisfied.” Then with a nod and a touch to his cap, he went back outside. Urbane watched the bat pony, but she did not look in his direction. Finally, he left the window and retreated into the interior of the house. Then, he got an idea.

Making his way back up the stairs, he stopped at his oldest child’s room and knocked on the door. “Come in!” said Pepper. She was seated at her desk, with about a dozen cook books spread out before her. “Morning, Dad! What’s up?”

“I need you to help Dad out with something, princess.”

“Sure, what do you need?” He walked over to her window and pointed out.

“Tell me if you recognize anypony.”

Puzzled, she joined him at the window and stared out. Then her eyes grew wide.

“It’s Miss Elenni! But what’s she doing working here as a gardener?”

“Miss Elenni? Are you sure that’s your teacher?”

“Positive! I’m going to go out and talk to her!” She would have bolted out the door if Urbane hadn’t stopped her.

“Wait a minute, honey. Maybe she’ll be embarrassed if you confront her.” Pepper struggled with herself, then sighed.

“I guess you’re right, Dad. But what am I going to say to her when I see her at school?”

“What is there to say? I’m sure she has her reasons.” She sighed again.

“Okay. But it’s really weird.” She turned and went back to her books.

As for Urbane, he did his best to keep the consternation off his face as he left. Different name, but the same pony?! Just what kind of game was she playing? He went back down the stairs and stood in the window. The gardeners had all finished their work, so he watched her as she helped pack up their equipment onto the wagon and trot off. As he stood there, he saw her glance back at the house. He moved behind the curtain as her gaze passed over the window, but he wasn’t sure if she’d seen him. Or even if she’d been looking for him. But then she abruptly turned and joined her companions as they departed, and soon she was out of sight. Urbane huffed to himself and then went about the rest of his day.

That evening was Date Night, so after giving the usual instructions to the eldest he and Willow went to their outing. It was his wife’s turn to pick the places they’d go, so after the movie she decided they’d go to a tavern for a few drinks. Urbane said nothing, but she’d inadvertently picked that same bar he’d been to all those years ago, the one he’d avoided like the plague. There must have been something showing on his face, however, for Willow stopped him just before they went in and said, “Is something wrong?”

Urbane forced a smile and said, “No, not really. I was just wondering why you picked this one?”

She brightened and said, “Oh, you haven’t heard? This bar has a new bartender that’s practically a magician at serving drinks. The best part is she’s not even a unicorn. Just wait until you see her!” With that she took hold of his hoof and pulled him inside.

There at the counter, just as she had said, was a female bartender using wings, nose and hooves to expertly flip bottles and pour out drinks to the delight of the crowd. All but the delight of Urbane as he stared at her. He watched in horror as the bat pony smoothed the silver patch of her mane out of her eyes and start on another round. He turned to his wife.

“Let’s go.”

She stared at him. “Now? But we just got here!”

“I’m…I’m not feeling well,” he almost lied. He truly did feel sick.

She huffed and said, “Fine! But I get to pick the next place again.”

“Okay…okay…but let’s just go.” He turned and left, with his frustrated and bewildered wife right behind him.

**********

That night, there was a meeting of bat ponies.

“Is it time?” one asked.

“It’s time,” another answered. “Begin the ritual.”

All the others gathered around and began chanting. The chalk-drawn diagram on the floor began to glow, as the candles fluttered in the wind and a deep sleep fell over Urbane and his family.

**********

The next day Urbane was the last to come down to breakfast, as usual. He’d put the strange incident out of his mind as he sat down to his oatmeal. His family was seated all around him and he looked up to notice Fidget was missing.

“Where’s your brother?” he asked Gadget.

She looked up at her father with a puzzled expression. “He’s…right in front of you, Daddy,” as she pointed a hoof at Junior.

“No, I mean Fidget. Where is he?”

She just shook her head and went back to eating. “Cut it out, Daddy; it’s not funny.”

A cold knot of fear lodged itself in his stomach as he looked around the table. Nopony else seemed to notice anything was amiss. He turned to his wife.

“Willow, where’s Fidget?”

She paused with a spoon halfway to her mouth. “What on Equestria are you talking about?” He stood in anger.

“Fidget! Our second youngest! Her twin!” he cried as he pointed at Gadget. The filly began to cry and got up and went to her mother.

“Dear, stop it! You’re scaring her!” The rest of the family was staring at him as he fumed.

He looked around at all of them and said, “Look, I don’t know what’s going on, but we’re missing a child! Follow me!” He started out the room and towards the stairs when he noticed nopony was following him. “I said ‘follow me!’”

The rest exchanged frightened looks and followed him up the stairs. When he got to the twins’ room he threw open the door and said, “See?” as he pointed inside.

Willow came fearfully up to him and said, “What…what are you pointing at?”

He turned and looked, as the expression of triumph faded from his face. There was only one bed in the middle of the room, surrounded by filly’s toys. Not a trace of a colt’s belongings could be seen.

“That’s not right,” he said in a flat voice. “This can’t be…”

“Bany, can…can we stop this now?” his wife asked.

He turned and looked at her, then his eyes grew wide. “I know!” He frantically got out his wallet and went through the pictures.

“There! I told you!” he shouted as he showed her the picture of Fidget and Gadget.

“Where…did you get that?” she asked. “And who is this?” as she pointed at the colt.

He looked at her as if she’d gone mad. “That’s our son! Don’t you remember?!” Instead of answering, she showed the picture to the other children, who all returned looks just as blank as hers.

“That’s a neat trick, Dad…but a little mean,” said Junior. He took the picture from his mother and gave it back to his father. “I think the joke has run its course.”

“It’s not a joke! I…” but he was cut off by his oldest.

“Just stop it, Dad! We’ve heard enough!” cried Pepper. They all then turned and went back down the stairs, leaving Urbane to himself. He put a hoof to his head and slid down the wall. He wasn’t going crazy, so that left the more frightening possibility that his family gone nuts. How could they not know about Fidget?

He sat there for some time thinking, as the kids left for school and he was left with just himself and his wife. He himself was going to be late for work, but this was far more important, so he decided to call the police and file a missing-pony report.

The police soon arrived and took his statement. When Urbane tried to get his wife to corroborate his story, she only cried and ran to the bedroom.

“What’s the matter with your wife, Mr. Mannerly?” the sergeant asked.

“She’s just upset. Can you find him?” He showed them the picture.

The sergeant took the picture from him and said, “We’ll do what we can.”

**********

A few days later the police met him at his office. Urbane stood to meet them as they came in, but he could tell from the looks on their faces they did not have good news.

“Tell me,” he said.

The sergeant cleared his throat and said, “Mr. Mannerly, we can’t find any evidence this colt exists. There are no school records, nor anything at the hospital. Your wife says she doesn’t know him and your kids say the same thing. There’s nothing, sir. Nothing besides that picture.” He leaned in close. “Have you been wasting our time, sir?”

Urbane threw up his hooves. “I swear to you; my son is missing! You have to find him!”

The sergeant exchanged a look with his partner, then said, “We’ll be in touch.”

Urbane came from around his desk and blocked their path. “What does that mean, ‘you’ll be in touch?!’ Are you giving up?!”

“Please get out of the way, sir.”

“Tell me!”

“Move!” yelled the sergeant as he shoved the unicorn out of his way, then left, followed by his partner. Urbane watched them go, then went back to his desk and started thinking about what he’d said. How could there be no records of his son? And why…why did his family not remember?! Then a dark thought occurred to him. That bat pony. Somehow, some way, this was her doing! But why would she take his son?

He buzzed his secretary. “Ms. Typeset, I want to see that bat pony in my office at once!”

“Right away, sir!”

He got up and started pacing his office. A few minutes later, Ms. Typeset came in. Alone.

“Well? Where is she?” he demanded.

Ms. Typeset fumbled with her clipboard and said, “It…it looks like she quit a few days ago, sir. But I do have her address if that helps?”

“Give it to me!” She nervously gave him the piece of paper. He snatched it away and quickly read the address. He then started out the office, saying, “I’ll be out for the rest of the day, Ms. Typeset!” She didn’t have time to say ‘very well, sir’ before the door slammed in her face and he was gone. His behavior was so bizarre she decided to make a few phone calls.

Quickly arriving at the street, he lost no time in hailing a cab. He then told the driver the address, and settled back, all the time thinking about what he was going to say.

He soon arrived at his destination, threw some bits at the driver then hurried to the front door and began loudly banging on it. “Hey in there! Open up!” After a few moments, the door creaked slowly open. He pushed it all the way in, then looked inside. There was nopony there.

“Hello?” he called out as he made his way to the hallway. There were no lights on, and the place looked as if nopony had lived there for some time. He went back outside and checked the address against the piece of paper. He then went back inside and called out again. This time he heard a faint rustling and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. “Who’s there? Show yourself!” As he looked down the darkened hallway, he thought he saw two little lights like eye shine staring back at him, and his stomach tightened. But then he forced himself to remember why he was there and shouted, “Where is my son?!”

“Here,” a quiet voice replied. “Come and get him…”

Urbane grit his teeth and shouted, “You bitch! Give me back my son!” as he hurried into the building. The door slammed shut behind him, completely cutting off the light. Seconds later he felt a hard rap against the back of his skull, and he knew no more.

**********

When he came to he groaned and tried to shift. He looked down and saw he was tied to a chair, completely immovable. A single torch sputtered and flickered against the wall to his right, causing his shadow to dance along the bare concrete floor. Then he heard laughter. “Who…who’s there?”

He heard the tap of hooves against the floor and a bat pony walked into the light. It was soon joined by another, and then another. All three were identical and all three stared malevolently at him. Finally, one spoke.

“You haf no idea how long it took to find you, you bastard.”

Urbane looked around at them all. “Who are you? What did I ever do to you?!” He struggled against his bonds again, causing them to snicker.

“Don’t bother tryink to get free, monster,” one of them spat. She stepped closer and trained her slit-eyed stare on him. “Don’t you recognize us?”

Urbane stared back at her and said, “You…all look like…Duski?” His head was thrown back as she slapped him.

“That’s right! She vas our sister!” she hissed.

He shook his head to clear it and said, “I don’t understand! I didn’t do anything to her!” She slapped him again, harder this time.

“You got her pregnant! She died givink birth to your bastard, you filth!

He spit blood out of his mouth and said, “Please! I didn’t know! I would have helped her if I could, I swear!”

She leaned back and regarded him. “It’s too late for that, now.” She turned to her sisters. “Bring him.”

As Urbane watched in horror, he saw his son dragged forth, blindfolded.

“Son!”

“Dad?”

Urbane screamed “Noo! Don’t hurt him! I’ll do anything!”

She smiled. “Why not? No vun knows he exists, thanks to the spell we cast. No vun but you.” Urbane thought quickly, stalling for time.

“How…how did you do that?”

She gave another evil grin, as her sister tittered behind her. “No harm in sayink now. Ve caused your family to sleep, while ve arranged thinks in your house. Then, ve made sure there vas no record of him existing, not at the school, not at the hospital vere he vas born. No vun will miss him!”

Urbane never took his eyes off his son. “But why? He’s innocent! If you have to punish someone, then punish me!”

“Oh, ve vill.” She brought forth a knife and turned towards the colt. Then several things happened at once.

Urbane was by no means a unicorn mage. He’d never had to use his magic to do anything beyond lifting papers, but now he was desperate. He squeezed his eyes shut tight and channeled every bit of magic he could through his horn and cast an intense burst of light. The bat ponies screamed as their sensitive eyes were overloaded, and he then used his magic to pull the blindfold off his son.

“RUN!!” he screamed. The one bat pony with the knife homed in on the colt’s position with her hearing, and brought the blade swiftly down, only to have her hoof arrested by Urbane’s field. “Run, I said!” screamed Urbane. The colt cast one last look at his father, then bolted for the steps, stumbling over them in an attempt to get away. As he made it to the top of the stairs, he heard somepony banging on the front door.

“Mister Mannerly! Are you in there?” a voice shouted. The colt ran to the door and threw it open, to reveal a couple of police ponies standing there.

“Help my Dad!” he cried as he pointed towards the basement door. The police drew their weapons and rushed inside. When they made it to the basement, they saw three bat ponies with their eyes shut huddled together, and Urbane tied to a chair.

“Thank Celestia,” he breathed.

**********

Urbane and his son sat side by side, each covered in a blanket as the bat ponies were led away. A police pony took his statement, then Urbane turned to his son.

“I have a lot of explaining to do with your Mom, but I’m glad you’re okay.”

Fidget looked at his father. “They told me why they did what they did, Dad. Are you and Mom going to get divorced?”

Urbane looked at him and shrugged. “I hope not son. I hope not.”

**********

Epilogue

A half-bat pony teenager sat in a dilapidated house on the outskirts of the city. He had a newspaper stretched out before him, and he was reading about three threstral sisters, who had once been quadruplets, who had tried to kill a unicorn and his son. He crumpled the paper in anger and said, "For my mother...for my aunts...you vill pay, "Dad."

Comments ( 2 )

Who made the cover art?

Login or register to comment