• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 394 Views, 2 Comments

From Ashes to Apples - Eisen



Applejack must survive in an apocalyptic Ponyville, and eventually seek out the truth behind the terrible event.

  • ...
1
 2
 394

Entry 3: Encampment

I've just finished setting up camp for the night. I followed the train tracks from Ponyville for a few miles, didn't stop until the sun began to set. I was honestly hoping to find some region untouched out here by the Black Wave but... everything so far has been ash. I had never dreamed that it'd been this big, but then, that would explain the lack of trains and all.

The journey has taken a while, and, while uneventful in the way of encounters, I certainly learned a lot more about what happened... and it wasn't pretty. Everything I passed, every yard I walked... everything was just... ash coated, or ash caked. The grass, not even visible, the gravel? All blackish grey insteal of whiteish.

On my way here, I passed old forests, once green, flourishing, healthy. Now, many were uprooted, and they looked almost... melted? It was such a strange sight. I went over and started investigating, searching for usable wood to scavenge, but, to my surprise, even the rings in the tree trunks were sagging. They were far less circular and more crescent shaped. If that's what it does to trees... I don't want to know everything it'll do to a pony. I had a hard enough time cleaning up what was left of 'em in Ponyville, I never tried looking at any bodies too closely, never wanted to... and frankly, now I DEFINITELY don't want to.

Trees weren't the only things I saw, I found some rivers and streams too, but, unfortunately, they were useless. The water in them was a sick, churning gray, completely unfit for drinking. Even worse, the air around the water had a gray tinge to it, which made me all the more thankful for my gas mask. Not one bit of drinkable water to find, even in what used to be good springs, if I remember my maps correctly. It was disappointing to say the least, but I knew I could boil fresh water wherever I needed to, so it didn't impede me too much.

It was a long trail, seeing everything ripped apart like that. I saw a shack or two along the side of the tracks, each one in splintered, shattered boards, strewn all around a cracked old foundation. Thankfully, I didn't find any bodies, and after seeing those trees, I was glad. I did rummage around them a bit, looking for food, or medical supplies, though I came up with nothing of any use.

The tracks themselves stayed pretty straight, for the most part, althoygh at some portions, the iron rails were bent, or the wooden slats between the rails were rotted, or melted. I have yet to actually find a train, though, but after witnessing what the winds had done to my barn, and Twilight's castle, I can't imagine being on a trail would be a very good experience. There was evidence that something had been around here during the event though, or at least, sped through when the event started. It was hard to find in the ash, but the evidence was still there: Coal chunks strewn here and there. Whatever was moving, it was moving fast. I'd have to keep on the lookout for any engines as I travelled.

I can't rightly say how far I've been exactly. Must have been a few miles, given that the station disappeared from sight long ago. All I know for sure is, I travelled long enough for the sun to travel down, before I set up a place for myself. Wasn't any wildlife around, so at least I needn't worry about any varmints getting to my food supply.

I started off by finding some flat ground beside the track. There was a dull, murkey lake a short distance from the site, perfect to gather water to boil. It was a simple matter of sweeping up the campsite, using rocks I found to mark off the edges and keep most of the ashes from blowing back. I knew that broom would come in handy. I set up the still next, Making a few gallons of fresh water: Some to rinse off my boots, some to clean the broom, and some to drink.

After the site was clean, I lay down a tarp at the edge of camp, carefully took off the boots, and sighed as I could walk free again, even if only for a short while. I inspected them, making sure the ashes hadn't burned any holes through, and thankfully, they hadn't. I took a quick note of that: Ashes didn't seem to burn through thick rubber.

Finally, the tent and Fire were set up. The air was chilling, so the warmth of an open fire was welcoming. Temperature had been dropping since the Wave came through, not sure exactly why, but good old campfires always did the trick. I sighed and lay back, looking up at the sky, before writing. I'm stargazing as I log the day's events in here. Well, Stargazing as best I can. The sky certainly looks much duller since the wave... sun not as bright, stars not as many, or radiant, Moon not as shining...

But, It occurs to me... The Sun and the moon still rise and set, on their own. I'm looking at Canterlot now, I see that light over there, glimmering again, and I have to think, one of the Princesses has to still be alive, maybe both of 'em. After all, only they can raise the moon and the sun, right? Sure I asmed myself this many times over the years, but I just... I always wondered why Celestia or Luna never came out to help, to look around, if they really were alive.

Well, regardless of who's raising them, It gives me hope to see the sunrise, to see the stars. Someone... Someone else has to be out there. Someone with the power to fix this, maybe... and I'm going to find them.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment