• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 394 Views, 2 Comments

From Ashes to Apples - Eisen



Applejack must survive in an apocalyptic Ponyville, and eventually seek out the truth behind the terrible event.

  • ...
1
 2
 394

Entry 2: Leaving the Past Behind

Well, I've done packed up all that I think I'll need. It's been about a week since the first entry, but it's finally done. I was able to finally finish rebuilding the old pie cart, found a replacement axle from a carridge in town, and now it rolls like there's no tomorrow, sturdy as a rock to boot!

Truth be told, I fixed up the cart about 4 days ago, but, I wanted to be absolutely sure it would be fine on the journey, and since I have no idea just what I'll find out there, I went ahead and tried my best to up-armor it. I took some of the metal roof sheets from in town and bolted them onto the sides and doors of the cart, made sure that they could withstand a buck or two, and cut some to cover the wheels as well. I know that if Rarity had been here, she'd be criticizing the hay out of how "drab" or "rustic" it looks, but so long as it keeps my supplies safe, I'm happy with it.

I loaded it up with all I could carry: all of my canned food, a few bags of the crops I could grow, my water still, bags for scavenging, buckets in case I find some water, a big broom for sweeping up the ash, some camping stuff, pots and pans, and finally, a bag of apple seeds. Before I loaded that up, I swept up a nice big area around the farmhouse, and planted three seeds. After the storm ripped up the old trees, I had tried a few times to bring some back, to no avail, but maybe these three will do me proud when I return... If I return.

Well, with the the cart all packed and locked up, I took just a few minutes to gather up what was left in the shack. My hammock, my tools... and a picture of my family. It was a simple picture, black and white, Granny, Apple Bloom, Big Mac and I, all standing out front of the barn after a good harvest. I looked at that image, and something inside of me hardened. Me sticking around in this shack won't get me any closer to seeing them again.

Before I hitched up the cart, I made sure all my gear was clean before I put it on: my rubber boots, my toolbelt, my trusty gas mask, and of course, my hat. Once that was all on, with a big sigh, I wrote a note on the shed. It said "If anyone's reading this, feel free to stay the night in here. You are not alone!" Not sure if I wrote that last part more for them or for me, but I put it there reguardless.


It was time to go. I hitched the cart up to my back, and began to trot to the town, not looking back. My goal was to make it to the train station, and follow along side the tracks up to Canterlot, but to get there I'd have to walk through Ponyville one last time. I slowed down as I hit the main street, looking around me at this place. The street was swept clean thanks to me, but the buildings were still in ruin.

To the left stood what was left of the old flower shop, with a few wilted and shriveled roses still sitting on a shelf inside. To the right, I passed Carrot Top's old garden, which I had been using to get a little extra food. No new sprouts today, which was just as well, seeing as how I'd already packed up. I looked around at the marketplace, a series of stained-black, collapsed stalls and crushed buildings, that must've been blown into each other like dominoes. I'd scavenged a few times from these places, and I could see the gaps where I had taken boards for my shack, but aside from the clean-swept street, the place looked as if it had been abandoned for centuries.

I shook my head and continued walking, making my way to the town square, seeing the broken, long-dried-out fountain, and a few blanks spots on the benches, where ash did not fall. I had to look away to stop feeling a bit sickly, because a year ago, them spots weren't blank. I had to bury what was left sitting on those benches myself, and after enough of that, seeing what happened to them... well, all I can say is, I hope it was quick.

I walked by the crystal stump of Twilight's palace, and veered off course for just a spell to see if I could find anything. I knew deep down that I wouldn't find them, I must've checked this place a few hundred times already, and I never saw a trace of Twi or Spike. But... I had to look, just one more time. It was sad to see it all like this, the top of the palace in a few million pieces on the ground, beside an empty, collapsed stump, with shredded curtains, and ashy piles here and there within. No matter how many times I reminded myself that the toxic air would have gotten anyone who survived the initial event... I still searched. I didn't look long, so after my final once-over, I continued my march to the station, keeping my eyes forward, never back.

I passed the bowling alley next, but tried, and I reckon failed, not to think about it. It reminded me too much of Apple Bloom and the other Crusaders, back before they had their marks. I know I could be overprotective of her sometimes but... since Ma and Pa passed, she needed someone to look out for her, responsible like. Not saying Granny couldn't, just that, well, in her older age... I just felt Apple Bloom needed another set of eyes watching. And now, after all of this... I hoped desperately that all the lessons I had tried to pass on paid off, and that she, along with Mac and Granny, were alright out there, somewhere.



Finally, I reached the train station, seeing the collapsed structure of the building splayed all over the ashen platform. I crossed over so that I was beside the tracks, lined up to head towards Canterlot. I looked up, wiping a bit of the grey soot from my mask lenses, and I could see that shimmering blue light in the distance, refilling my hopes and pushing away my regrets. I'll be putting my journal away now, so I can focus on the journey ahead. It'll be long, but from this perspective... it'll be all worth it.