• ...
27
 547
 3,425

PreviousChapters Next
24 - Meanwhile, Presto Gets the Shock of His Life....

{The sort of setup we’d never expect to see in Equestria.}

The portal flashed once, forming Princess Twilight Sparkle and eight little fillies, each an identical cornflower blue with near-white mane and tail, but all sporting different coloured eyes from the other seven. Every single Twixie oohed at the sights around them. Pointed right at them from all sides were several ballistae, some mounted on two-story platforms, some at ground level, and a third as many springalds. All of them were loaded and cocked, the ballistae with bolts, and the springalds with chemical or magical splashing projectiles. Beyond that stood of a sea of tents. Those nearby were the high-lofted canopy types. One had portable stoves; another had medical gear. A few had cords of thick lumber, large steel fasteners and fixtures, huge spools of rope, and stagecoach-sized blocks of stone carved into rectangular prisms. Past these larger tents were the massive rows of tents for two soldiers.

Twilight led the Twixies from the focus of potential carnage to a marked path between the heavy weapons and the large tents. A middle-aged unicorn mare in heavy armour and fancy epaulettes marched up to Twilight with a salute. Twilight returned it and said, “Good evening, General Lancer. Just...just how much else has gone up in the last week?”

“Your Highness, by order of Princess Luna, we have tripled infantry, sky squadrons, and magic teams,” General Lancer answered.

Twilight’s mouth fell open while her eyes narrowed. She barked, “We do not need seventy-five hundred soldiers here! Nor such heavy fortifying around the portal!”

Lancer suppressed a smile as she said, “Easiest way to hold a bottleneck is with overwhelming firepower. Princess Luna agrees.”

Pointing at the canopy tent with the lumber and large metal parts, Twilight demanded, “And why do we have so many trebuchets waiting to be built?!”

“Expeditionary campaigns, including city sieges, are not off the table. We stand at the ready to move in and take ground and towns, if needed,” said Lancer, puffing up her chest some.

Twilight facehoofed. “We’re not looking to start a war! We’re just trying to rescue Rarity and Trixie, and then part ways with this other world forevermore! There’s no reason to scar their land!”

“I agree, Your Highness. We’re not looking to start a war. But if they are, we will finish it,” Lancer answered smoothly. Twilight sighed, and without looking, telekinetically pulled three of the Twixies off of the nearby springald. She then did the same with a fourth before that hybrid put any real force onto the firing lever. Lancer scooped up two more that were headed for the ballista closer to her. The general grumbled, “And this is why we don’t let foals in forts.”

“Twilight!” called out a boyish soprano. Running up to them was Spike. The Twixies collectively groaned in disappointment as Twilight and Lancer took them away from the heavy weaponry. Spike blinked at the eight little fillies who all stopped their thrashing and whining one by one as they saw him. Many of them blinked. A few stared. All had their mouths rounded and slightly open. Almost cascading they closed ground on the little dragon, quickly resulting in a little flailing dragon full of little dragon exclamations as they tugged at his cheeks, fins, and scales, poking and prodding, each with an ooh.

Giggling, Twilight said, “I think they like you!”

“Well, I don’t like how they’re showing me that!” Spike complained as they drug him to the ground, still nudging inquisitively.

General Lancer said, “Your Highness, shall I summon some assistance?”

“No, but thank you. It’s easier with them piled up,” said Twilight as she walked over to the beleaguered Spike. With a magenta flash, Twilight, Spike, and all eight Twixies disappeared, rematerialising in the castle foyer.


{These three, I tell you....}

“Wha-aaahh!! What in the world!?” Sweetie Belle shrieked startled, the tip of her left-front hoof stuck under the pile. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo both could not halt their momentum, ramming Sweetie Belle.

Levitating the stack of hybrids and one dragon, Twilight ran for the downstairs, shouting, “Sorry, Sweetie Belle! I have to get right to work!”

The door slammed behind them. Sweetie Belle blinked a few times, then motioned her front hooves toward the kitchen. She stepped in, quickly followed by Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. All three sat at the table. Sweetie grumbled, “With as much as Twilight teleports around, you’d think she’d leave a marker, or some warning to others where she’s about to show up!”

“Twahlaht did,” Apple Bloom insisted. “Dinnae ya’ see th’ circle? Th’ one etched inta’ th’ floor?”

Anyways,” Scootaloo pressed, “like I was trying to say before Twilight returned, I still think it’s a terrible idea. We’ll never get through!”

Sweetie protested, “Yes we can, and yes we will! I can’t do nothing for my sister! How would you feel if you were in my hooves? Say, if it were Rainbow Dash that had been captured instead, what would you do? Or Applejack?”

“Well, Ah can’t really argue, when ya’ put it lahke that...,” Apple Bloom sighed.

“Yes, thank you!” Sweetie Belle said.

“I don’t know...it still sounds like a really, really bad idea,” Scootaloo said slowly.

“Think about it like this,” Sweetie began. “You know I love you guys like sisters, right, because we’re pretty much sisters?”

“Awe, Sweetah Belle, that’s so nahce! Ah love you both lahke sisters, too!” Apple Bloom squealed happily, pulling the other two into a bone-crushing hug.

Scootaloo stammered breathlessly, “I, uh, well yeah! Didn’t that...uh, didn’t it, ow, owww, go without saying?”

Apple Bloom let go, to the gasping and rubbing of ribs of Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. After getting her wind back, Sweetie continued, “So if you two may as well be my sisters, and Rarity clearly is my sister, then Rarity may as well be your sister, too!”

Scootaloo looked between her friends a moment, then cocked her head to the right as she grouched, “What are you, a genealogist?”

“She’s got a point,” Apple Bloom said unenthusiastically.

Scootaloo said, “No she doesn’t! How did she come up with that?”

“Transitive Property,” Sweetie Belle answered proudly, standing up straight. Noticing her friends’ collective confused looks, she asked, “From the math lesson last week? Didn’t you two pay attention to Miss Cheerilee?”

Apple Bloom’s raised eyebrow left the question if she had private lessons from her sister, or if it ran in the family. Scootaloo grumbled, “I don’t care if it’s the next-door neighbour’s property! There are literally hundreds of soldiers by the portal!”

“Thousands,” Spike corrected her as he walked past the door without even slowing down, let alone stopping. “There are thousands of soldiers there.”

“There you go! Thousands!” Scootaloo answered.

“But I won’t give up on my sister!” Sweetie protested with a stomp.

Apple Bloom nudged Scootaloo and slyly said, “If not for Rarity, then let’s do it for the Crusaders! Ah saw at least half a dozen little Trixies there, and ain’t a one had a Cutie Mark!”

Scootaloo’s eyes widened as her mouth parted a slight grin, “A whole new world of ponies that don’t know their calling...? And we could set them all on their paths?”

“It’s our calling as Crusaders!” Apple Bloom cheered.

“Okay, that convinced me,” said Scootaloo. “But how are we gonna slip past all those troops?”

Sweetie began, “We could—”

“Wait, how could you have a guess without lookin’ at the camp?” interrupted Apple Bloom. “Ah say we do some scoutin’, then come up with a plan.”

“Then we can go Crusading where no Crusader ever dreamed we could!” Scootaloo said happily.

“Let’s do this, girls!” said Apple Bloom.

With a three-way high hoof, the others responded, “Yeah!”

The Crusaders dashed out of the kitchen and down the hall, out the castle’s front door. They did not turn and see Spike standing just outside the kitchen, face in hand, shaking his head slowly.


{More applicable to the ending part of this section, but still.}

Twilight growled to herself as eight pony-Pokémon hybrids ran about, playing haphazardly around the lab. Several things had already found their way to the floor. Beakers of numerous sizes, an alembic, and three Erlenmeyer flasks had already been shattered. Twilight sighed to herself, “And this is why we don’t let foals in labs.”

As the door opened, Spike voice carried through. “Are you sure?”

Presto Lulamoon started through the door, but was looking behind him. “I’m quite certain I don’t want to know. But I have to, for my little Trixie. Someday, when you become a parent, you will understand. It’s something that can’t—”

Grandpa!?” called out eight fillies in unified delight.

“...gr...gr...gran...pa...??” Presto echoed in broken breaths, eyes widening as he slowly turned.

Yaaayy!!!” the Twixies screamed happily as they bum-rushed the stupefied Presto. He did naught but stand with a quaking jaw and twitching lower eyelids. They tackled him. Beneath the whooping and hugging lay an old stallion on his side, mystified and dumbfounded, with a body that would not go and a mind that would not stop. Eight nearly picture-perfect copies of his daughter before her first day of school showered him with fondest greetings, adorations, and laying out their hopes for him to provide playtime, stories of mother, and snacks. The voice was right, the build was right, as was the coat, mane, and tail, but the eyes were wrong; so it went for all eight of them. Eyes of ruby, eyes of gold, eyes of sapphire, aquamarine, turquoise, silver, yellow topaz, and almandine garnet, but no eyes of amethyst.

Presto’s motor control returned. With shaky effort he pushed himself back to his feet, and shaky voice asked, “How...could this have happened?”

“I don’t know yet,” said Twilight. “The team that investigated returned so horrified they could barely speak, even Starlight. She said she would write it down, but was too traumatised to say aloud. I hope to hear within the hour.”

“I believe that makes three of us,” said a stately voice in an upper alto range. The Twixies all oohed as a majestic white alicorn stepped through the door, with a flowing quadra-coloured mane, and golden regalia inset with deep purple. Presto immediately dropped to a prostrate grovel while the Twixies all watched transfixed and awestruck. Smiling, she said, “Good evening, little ones. I am Princess Celestia.”

Eight fillies clamoured for attention and hugs from the princess. She chuckled as she granted them their sought affection, until Twilight cleared her throat, not more than a length and a half away. “Celestia.”

“Ah, my faithful student! Good evening, Twilight! I trust you are well?” Princess Celestia responded amiably.

Twilight bit back on the bile. “A word alone, please.”

“But of course. If you all would excuse me, Mr. Lulamoon, little ones,” Celestia responded in the same tones as before. Princess Twilight led Princess Celestia to a side chamber with an opaque door. A table sat in the middle with illuminating crystals in a pair of overhead lights. Filing cabinets lined the walls. As the door closed behind them, Celestia began, “So, my dear Twilight, what is—”

Twilight reared up, shoving her forehooves into Celestia’s chest and slamming her against the wall. Through gritted teeth Twilight barked, “What the hell were you thinking!? Asking me to take the lives of foals!!?

Agape and wide-eyed, Celestia blinked for a moment. Then her shoulders slumped as her face faltered and her gaze dropped. Softly and sadly Celestia said, “...there’s no good answer I can give.”

“Why don’t you tell me something I don’t know!?” Twilight growled, seething. Tears of rage began flowing from her eyes. “I can’t believe you! I can’t believe such a thought could ever cross your mind!! What ‘extenuating circumstances’ could possibly warrant such cruelty?! Are the few missing bits of our world’s magic so crucial we should forget who are for them!?”

Celestia offered no resistance as her chin and eyes dropped, staring downward. “...my sister and I have no excuse for what we said.”

“Nopony’s asking for an excuse!! I deserve to know what could possibly have gone through your heads!!” Twilight shrieked, striking Celestia across the face on “possibly.”

“Unnggh...!” Celestia yelped upon being hit. Her eyes started watering as she blinked, finding herself knocked down into a semi-sitting position, but with her back still to the wall. She murmured, “...let it out, Twilight...let it all out....”

Twilight struck Celestia again, and again, yelling, “Why!? What happened to the friendship lessons?! What happened to the kind and wonderful mentor!? Does that pony still exist!?! Who are you!!? Why would you ask me to do such a thing?!! WHHHYYY!?!

Twilight dropped to her knees, too lightheaded to stand in the seemingly spinning room. Sinking deep into Celestia’s shoulder, she sobbed uncontrollably. Celestia winced and whispered, “Twilight....”

“Where’s the mare who taught me everything, the pony who I loved more than my own mom??” Twilight blubbered.

Celestia wrapped her forelimbs around Twilight, who continued to cry. Nose and mouth both bloodied, Celestia blinked hard. Twilight returned the embrace, crying even harder. Celestia whispered, “Just let it out, Twi...let it out.”

Celestia rocked Twilight side to side as she wailed, holding her as a mother would her own foal.


{Track title says it all.}

An hour and a half had passed before Princess Twilight and Princess Celestia emerged from the data hard copy archive room. Spike, Presto, and Sunburst had brought down cots, blankets, and pillows. All eight Twixies were asleep, as was Spike. The mess in the lab had been cleaned up. Presto and Sunburst sat beside a lab bench, with an unfurled scroll in front of them. Both of them appeared uneasy, though Presto smoldered. As they neared, Sunburst spoke, “Hey, uh, Your Highnesses. Starlight sent her report through Spike, what was that, about forty minutes ago? Forty-five, maybe?”

Presto’s voice was hollow and emotionally spent, “Don’t think that really matters much, when it arrived. That it did does. Have a read, Your Highness, Your Majesty. I just hope you haven’t eaten recently. It’s...pretty awful, what they did to my daughter.”

Twilight levitated the scroll over to her and Celestia. A few minutes passed. Celestia turned a little green in the face while Twilight blanched. They set the scroll down on the bench. Celestia shook her head, and said, “Used as breeding stock...unbelievable. All of that for just one perfect specimen?”

“And was...violated at least ten times to get there?” Twilight spat in disgust.

Presto said, “The most detestable part of it all is how many more times it could have taken. I would have liked grandchildren, yes, but...not like this.”

Twilight said, “And there’s still one that we don’t know where it is, just that it’s alive. Last one’s still with its ‘trainer.’”

“I’m happy that this ‘Blue Oak’ told us what’s going on. He really had nothing to gain by volunteering that much information,” said Sunburst.

Twilight said, “Avoiding a war falls under ‘something to gain,’ if you ask me. But yes, it did fill in the holes. Speaking of holes, we still need to get those last two.”

Presto shook his head as he said, “These ‘Twixies’ certainly act similar to how Trixie did at that age. I’d recognise that fearless curiosity anywhere. The more Trixie saw her sire’s and grandsire’s magic tricks, the more she tried to figure them out, along with everything else going on around her. She always hated it whenever somepony had one over her.”

“I presume we need to retrieve the last of them due to Clover’s Law of Magical Osmosis and Marelin’s Shifting Balance Theorem?” Sunburst asked absentmindedly, rubbing at his goatee.

Twilight nodded. “Those and the Sixth Law of Magical Stability.”

“Oh. Right. That one so rarely comes up,” Sunburst mused.

“So do the other two,” Twilight muttered under her breath.

Celestia frowned as she said, “There’s the more pressing matter of...let me just say I know of a hooffull of creatures that live in the Aether, creatures we do not want to get their attention by having an osmotic flow of magic and whatever power these ‘Pokémon’ have. Such a lingering flow between Equestria and the Pokémon world would most certainly get their attention before long. That’s the last thing either world needs. Should they pay us a visit, any lone one of them would make Tirek’s magic-stealing campaign look like a foal’s game of make-believe, and then turn around and do the same to the other world.”

A fitful silence ensued. Presto and Sunburst both stared without blinking. Twilight sighed fearfully, and asked, “The aforementioned ‘extenuating circumstances?’”

Celestia nodded. A pregnant silence followed while the two stallions exchanged confused looks. A moment later, Presto asked, “So what do we do?”

“Separate the pony from the Pokémon,” Celestia answered. “I have a solid idea on how to do just that; it was my purpose in coming today. Twilight, I do hope you have entropic jars on-hoof?”

“No magical lab is complete without them, for safety if nothing else,” Twilight said, furrowing her brow.

“How many, and what capacity?”

“There’s ten here, each rated at thirty-two kilo-Clovers,” Twilight said with an eyes-shut smile.

Sunburst’s mouth fell open. “Good grief, Your Highness! Even one of those is more than enough for an R&D lab! What in the world were you planning to do or try!?”

Twilight blushed and grimaced. Celestia spoke up before Twilight could respond, “No need to be ashamed over precautions, especially from your taste in experiments. Yours is no disgrace. Let’s just hope the ten jars are enough. Get some sleep, everypony. The hour grows late, and these little fillies have a serious decision to make in the morning.”

“Why not now, Your Majesty?” Presto asked.

“Two reasons,” Celestia began. “First, I think it’d be foolish for me to try my idea without checking it first. And second, we should not rouse sleeping foals and ask them to make a major life-changing decision. We wait until they are breakfasted.”

The following morning, Presto led the eight fillies back to the lab from the kitchen. Twilight and Celestia stood by a lab bench as they entered in an expected disorderly manner. Celestia smiled and shook her head as Sunburst and Presto moved to keep them in line. Spike stood at the door, his apron splashed with orange juice and milk, some of which had started curdling, with bits of cereal, toast, and biscuit batter unevenly distributed on his person. Closing the door behind them, he grouched to himself, “And this is why we don’t let foals in kitchens.”

Twilight said, “One thing you said last night about the ‘extenuating circumstances’ doesn’t add up.”

“Sure are badgering my sister’s choice of words,” Celestia snorted. “What’s confusing you?”

“If such a flow of energy between two worlds would quickly get their attention, why have these magic-eaters not come already?” Twilight asked. “There is a flow between Equestria and the world of Canterlot High.”

Celestia nodded and pleasantly said, “That is easily explained, my dear Twilight. Picture it like this: you’re in a yarn shop. Equestria is but one skein in a display bin of red yarn, and the end of our skein is touching an adjacent skein in the same bin. How likely are shop patrons to notice this, especially from across the store?”

“Patrons would have to be specifically looking for loose strands and standing over us to have any chance at all of spotting it,” said Twilight.

“Yes, exactly. Now imagine that end of our skein is instead touching a skein of blue and white marled yarn across the aisle, and that skein’s end is touching us,” Celestia said as the Twixies started down the stairs to the main level.

Twilight’s eyes lit up as she raised her chin. “Ah. That makes it pretty clear.”

The chaotic procession of Twixies had stopped in front of the princesses. Presto and Sunburst flanked their rears, vigilantly watching. Celestia took a step forward and cheerfully said, “Good morning, little ones!”

Sounding of a kindergarten class, they answered, “Good morning, Princess Celestia.”

Celestia began, “By now I’m sure each of you has learned that you are children of two worlds: your father is from the world of Pokémon where you were born, and your mother is from this world, Equestria. Each world has gifted you with a power, an ability to do great and powerful things.”

Presto winced at this choice of words, while Twilight pulled her lips taut, applying great effort to not roll her eyes. The Twixies, however, all cooed, “Ooooh!”

“Unfortunately,” Celestia resumed, “the reality is that you must pick one or the other, for there are forces at work beyond our control which insist that you cannot have both. I am sorry that this is how it must be; this is not what I would have chosen for all of you. It is not fair, it is not right, but it is how it is.”

Celestia paused a moment, giving the Twixies a chance to wordlessly look among each other. Celestia continued, “Princess Twilight and I will set you on whichever path you desire. Choose wisely, for once you decide, the other way is forever closed. What say you? Would you choose to be a Pokémon, and live in a world of adventure and competition where only the best can succeed, but friends are few and almost none, if any at all, know their families? Or would you choose to be a pony, and live in the close-knit bonds of love with family, friends, and community, but adventure is truly rare? Take a moment and think about what you want.”

A silent pause. The Twixie with golden eyes looked up and said, “I want to stay with grandpa!”

The others joined in, clamouring about “grandpa” over and over, voices shouting over each other. Presto took a sharp, jagged breath as a small grin curled his lips, looking downward.

Celestia suppressed a smile as she said, “Then it shall be so. Princess Twilight, let us begin.”


{Trouble all around; just what are you gonna do about it?}

Late afternoon had come and was going when the portal flashed in The Great Marsh, while the rains just tumbled down. Twilight appeared alone, carrying a pair of large black jars with silver runes lining their lids and sides. She looked around, and with a grunt, catalogued new faces.

Dialga and Palkia looked to be playing some kind of two-on-two sport, but were partnered with something else. Dialga’s teammate was a large black draconic biped with red eyes, armour plates extending over its hands and past its fingertips, and a conic drill for a tail. Palkia’s companion had a similar body shape, but was white with blue eyes, covered with fur, but had no arms distinct from its wings, and a semi-mechanical tail as well. Both of them were shorter than Palkia by at least a metre, though Dialga’s partner was the shorter of the two. Other legendary Pokémon, as well as many denizens of The Great Marsh and the human researchers, had gathered as spectators, flanking the game but not directly behind either team. The sport looked like a strange cross between volleyball and football, played with a “ball” made from a downed tree detached from its thick, lower trunk, but no net. A series of stones marked the field of play, including a middle line. Mud coated all four players. Just outside the field of play at the central line stood a large, thin black stag with a blue neck and head, and multiple multi-coloured antlers. It made a sharp motion at the middle of the field. Dialga then smacked the tree with its neck like a baton. The white dragon-like thing dove and knocked the tree upward with its tail, to which Palkia jumped and hit it with clasped hands over his head. The black dragon dove for the tree, but got little more than his fingertips on the “ball” as it smacked the mud and rolled over the out-of-bounds line. Palkia and his teammate high-fived, then both crouched into a ready position as Dialga fetched the tree. The stag emphatically gestured toward Palkia and his teammate. Some of the Pokémon in the audience cheered while others groaned. The researchers continued taking notes.

Not far away, Princess Luna slowly walked with Arceus in discussion. Mew sat on Arceus’s back, while behind them floated Darkrai and Cresselia. With them was a new face, an oversized indigo bat with golden blades at the ends of its wings and tail, bone-white along the muscled part of its wings, and rosy-red eyes. Luna spoke to this new Pokémon about as much as she spoke directly to Arceus.

Giratina stared at some man-shaped Pokémon, brick red and teal, with tendrils twisting around. Neither one spoke a word, but the stare went on and on.

Flying a good ways up was Rayquaza and Ho-Oh, beside what at that distance appeared to be a dark red capital “Y.”

Under the canopy were Red and Blue, at the battle map. Blue spoke indistinctly as Red tapped on the map about halfway between Solaceon Town and Veilstone City as the crow flies. Sitting on Red’s shoulder was a small Pokémon, a bleached white tiny humanoid with a smile on its belly, and a star-like golden headdress with cerulean tags dangling off the tips, and a golden cape.

Blue looked up and walked over, saying, “Princess Twilight! The...situation has taken a...serious turn.”

“It was all pretty serious before. What happened?” Twilight asked as she set down the jars.

“Rarity, she...,” Blue trailed off. He pursed his lips, then said, “It may be quicker to just show you the video.”

Blue pulled out his PokéGear, and cued a clip of the battle between Aengus and Koga. Twilight watched on as Salazzle came out, and the pursuant insanity. She gasped in alarm at Rarity’s choice of shout at Salazzle, as well as what followed. Twilight twitched in shock as the rest of the battle played out after Rarity had been put back in her ball. The battle ended, and a doctor emerged from the side door. He walked over to the trainers, and spoke. Twilight heard him, and screamed. On the screen Aengus’s head fell into his hands while Koga shook all over, clenching his fists and stopping just short of striking Aengus, while Twilight continued screaming in horror. The doctor patted the teary-eyed Koga on the shoulder and walked away, clawing the tears from his own eyes as he removed his surgical mask. Blue shut off the screen as tears overtook Twilight’s face. She collapsed, murmuring, “Why, Rarity...?? Why would you do that?? How could you do that??”

Blue sighed through his nose as he slowly nodded. Applejack and Pinkie Pie ran to Twilight, hugging her. Pinkie’s mane had fallen flat before Twilight had arrived. AJ said, “Ah know, Twahlaht. Ah know. Ah can’t believe it either.”

Pinkie pulled them both in close, nearing sobbing. Blue knelt down beside them and asked, “Well, Your Highness, what do you want to do about this? This can’t be ignored.”

“I...don’t know...I need to think about it,” Twilight answered breathlessly.

“You may not need to think about it at all, depending on what Koga does,” Blue answered. “You may need to extradite her.”

Twilight, AJ, and Pinkie all gasped as their eyes shrunk to pinpricks. They looked between each other, unable to blink or breathe. A moment passed before Applejack, barely above a whisper, said, “Surely...surely you can’t really mean....”

“I’m sorry, but the facts are indisputable,” said Blue sadly.

“If her extradition is demanded, then I demand you extradite both Meagher brothers!” snapped Luna. She and the Pokémon with her all stood at the edge of the tent. “None of this would have happened if they had not abducted two of my citizens!”

“But the—” Twilight began, but was immediately cut off by a sharp gesture from Luna.

Blue frowned. “Look, I’m not saying what they did was okay at all, but in all fairness—”

“They, too, must go,” said Arceus plainly. Blue looked over at the Alpha Pokémon dumbfounded as he continued, “Justice demands if one guilty party is to be held accountable for their wrongdoings, so must all others involved.”

Mew nodded, as did Blue. He tapped at his PokéGear again while he spoke. “As I said, it remains to be seen. Right now, while I have both of you here, I think you need to see this, too.”

Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Starlight Glimmer had joined them. Luna asked, “What is it now?”

“The Indigo League, early this morning, crowned a new champion. His victory parade is to begin shortly in his hometown,” said Blue. He held out the screen for the others to see. “As such, I’ve already informed him that as his region’s new champion, he’ll need to come see me. But that’s not what you’ll find interesting. There’s his team.”

Luna’s eyes widened at one figure in the picture, then she growled. “Bring him. Now.”

A loud splash got everyone’s attention. Floating nearby was a large, blue Pokémon somewhat like a whale with broad front flippers, and red lines across its body. Its yellow eyes focused forward as Lugia lifted off from those watching the game, hovering in front of this newcomer. The rain increased. Fascinated, Blue said, “So then. Kyogre and Lugia...what will you two do?”

All eyes were on the two that grunted, growled, and yipped at each other. Tension lay heavy in the air. None could tell what was being said, or how, or to what end. A minute passed. Then the red parts of Kyogre turned pale yellow as its blue parts darkened. The rain accelerated.

{And lordship over the ocean hangs in the balance.}

Rainbow Dash yelled, “That’s not a good sign!”

“Crap!” shouted Blue as both Pokémon roared angrily at the other.

A focused burst of wind shot from Lugia into Kyogre, while Kyogre drew up a huge amount of water. Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos took off, holding position near Lugia as they, too, roared and powered themselves up.

Author's Note:

Sorry it's late. Taking care of the little one does take priority, even if she chooses the worst times for needing daddy right this very second. :ajsleepy:

So then. Plenty of things going on here. Sweetie Belle shows her impeccably bad timing yet again to jump into the middle of things. Do those three really think they're gonna sneak past 7,500 soldiers? Yet Sweetie's gonna be absurd enough to try.... *headdesk*

Things have happened at the Plateau, things that have not been good for the good guys. What all's happened? Some of it you guys have doubtlessly figured out already, and others think they've figured it out, but are off the mark.

Contact between Lugia and Kyogre did not go well. Maybe they should get to higher ground....

Continuing the classic rock references, just 'cuz. Secondary classic rock reference this time is courtesy of Yes...no, seriously, "Yes" is the name of the band.

And next week kicks off a block of chapters I've been looking forward to writing since the idea of the story first came to me. Gonna be great!
Speaking of, how is Aengus doing, after falling short? What about Rarity? What else has happened? And...guess who's returning to the forefront of the story? Come for a wild one next week! ...hopefully on time this time.... :twilightblush:

Thanks for reading. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next