• Published 5th Aug 2016
  • 431 Views, 2 Comments

A Diamond in the Rain - LunchBox Pony



Waiting for the rain to stop, there is nothing more boring... That is unless you happen to be sharing the same piece of cover with someone... And having a conversation doesn't hurt.

  • ...
 2
 431

A Diamond in the Rain

I ran down the street trying to find a way to stay dry. The rain had gotten heaver with every second, I quickly realised I wasn't going to get home with out getting completely soaked. I spotted a small piece of cover and took the opportunity to get out of the rain.

Running under the over hang, I caught my breath and started my long wait for the rain to end. I had apparently taken refuge under the roof of a cafe, closed for renovations, if the sign on the door was to be trusted. I leaned against the wall and took out my phone, looking for something to pass the time.

I remembered a comment I heard from an old lady, 'Kids these days can't live with out their phones.' she was saying it more as a joke then a serous statement, but I did agree. I went through a few emails before I put my phone back in my pocket and looked out.

The rain showed no sign of slowing down. I gave a sigh at the prospect of spending the rest of the day in this one spot. It sure would be lovely to have some company. As if the universe heard me, I heard another person approaching.

I turned to see a pale skinned girl with professionally styled purple hair that curled at the end, wearing a white jacket with fur around the hem, and a purple skirt with three diamonds printed on it. Finally, on her feet she wore long purple boots, and hugging her legs were a pair of black tights.

She had the same idea as me, joining me under the cover of the cafe. She stood a little away from me which wasn't unusual as I technically was a stranger, but I had the feeling I knew her from somewhere. She appeared to be around my age so maybe she goes to my school.

The two of us remained silent except for the sound of the heavy rain falling all around us as the sky slowly got darker... I decided not to waste this opportunity and decided to pass the time with a good old-fashioned conversation.

"My names R." I said abruptly, putting out my hand toward the pale girl.

She turned to me with a surprised look, then seeing my extended hand, "Oh... Pleasure, my name is Rarity." She graciously said, accepting my hand and giving a refined shake.

As I her name reached my ears I instantly knew exactly who she was. I had passed her in the halls several times, I was also one to witness her and her friend saving the school on multiple occasions.

"I thought I recognised you." I commented with realisation.

"I'm sorry? Have we met before?" She asked, in an almost apologetic tone.

"Not officially. We've passed in the hallway and I do have a few classes with you, but that's about it."

"So you're a student at CHS? We'll its nice to finally meet you R." She said with a soft, friendly smile.

"So... Miss Rarity, what brings you out here? I can't imagine that you willingly ran through the rain for fun."

"No. I'm not running in the rain for fun." Rarity said with a small smile.

"Wait... Don't tell me you came to see me." I said with mocked surprise.

She gave a small giggle before replying, "Considering we technically just met, I will have to disappoint you and say no. That is not the reason either."

"Eh, I guy can hope." I retorted with a playful smirk. "Although there are plenty of guys at school who would kill to be in my situation right now." I Added under my breath. "But most of them wouldn't even say a word to you."

"Really? Why would they want to be in your situation?"

I gave her dumbfounded look. Was she seriously that oblivious or was she just messing with me. I got my answer as a small smirk tugged at the corner of her mouth. "You almost had me there for a moment." I said with a sigh.

"I could see that."

We both shared a small laugh as the rain continuing around us.

"My parents always said to never talk to strangers, but they never said it would be an enjoyable conversation to have." Rarity mused as she calmed her laughter.

"I'm not a stranger." She looked at me quizzically, "...I gave you my name and in return you gave yours." I simply stated.

"Yes, I guess that is true." Another small giggle escaping her mouth.

"But back to my earlier question. What brings you out here?" I asked.

"I'm on my way to a party. That was until this dreadful down pour started." She glared at the rain with a wistful sigh. "Hopefully it clears up soon or I may be late... What about you R? Why are you out here?"

"My showers broken." I jokingly replied. Rarity blinked at me in stunned silence, before letting out laugh. I joined here in the laughter. "Seriously though, I'm on my way home from work." I said composing myself

"And decided to take refuge so your shower wouldn't be out of the job." was her rebuttal.

We shared another small session of laughter.

"Who knew that I would have such an interesting and pleasant conversation on my way to a party." she looked out to the rain, "While waiting for some rain to stop."

"I aim to please madam." I said in a mock, gentlemanly manner.

"And with a gentleman too." She said giving a sweet smile, returning the gesture in kind.

We fell back to silence as we looked at the condition of the rain.

No change.

"Oh dear..." I looked over to Rarity to see her looking at her phone, quite worried. "At this rate I'm going to be late. If I left now I would make it in time but my hair will be ruined."

I couldn't help but smile at this. I knew she was very adamant about her appearance, but to hear someone openly complain about their hair being ruined amused me. I don't really care for my appearance that much so I've never put much thought into it.

I looked at the pale skinned girl as she started to debate what to do. Slipping off my jacket I got her attention.

"Here." I simply said, tossing her the jacket, giving a surprised gasp as she caught it. "Use it to stop your hair from getting ruined." She looked at me bewildered, "Don't you have a party to attend? You don't want to be late. Or looking un-presentable."

She stammered for a few moments before she could actually form a sentence, "Thank you but I can't-"

I raised a hand, cutting her off, "I can wait for the rain to finish. You can't... Now go on my lady, you have friends waiting." I gave a bow to add a comedic and dramatic effect.

I remained in the bow for a while but didn't hear her start to leave. I slowly rose from my bow to see her extremely close to my face. I took a step back, but stopped when she gave me a quick pick on the cheek. I stood there stunned from surprise, not knowing how to react.

She smiled at me with genuine gratitude.

"Thank you."

We're her final words before she ventured out back into the rain using my jacket as a shield. I watched her leave until she rounded a corner and disappeared from my vision. Giving a small smile knowing I did something good, I went back to leaning on the wall, and digressing back to my former state as I once again got out my phone and used it to pass the time.

Bloody rain.

End

Author's Note:

Just a sweet one-shot that I thought of and wrote in a few hours.

Edited by Parchment

Thanks for Reading

Ruff Cut

Comments ( 2 )

Really love the story too short, but it is a one-shot.

7478670 Thanks for the comment and the favourite.

I do agree that it could be longer but it was supposed to be something short and sweet.

Login or register to comment