• Published 18th Sep 2016
  • 4,017 Views, 11 Comments

A Glimmer of hope - StrandedGeek



Sunset decides to go home, who will be waiting for her?

  • ...
5
 11
 4,017

Going home.

Sunset Shimmer had long thought about her decision. It was something she was certain she wanted to do. But because it was such a difficult decision, there were brief moments when her guilt was making her second guess herself and try to change her mind. But eventually she convinced herself that...what ever happens…it will not be because she didn’t try. She had spent a whole afternoon recently thinking about her future since Graduation was happening. And rather going to college as others would be, She decided she would being going home, back to Equestria. Her biggest fear is confronting Princess Celestia after all of her horrible mistakes. But she needed... closure, she needed to exorcise this inner demon once and for all. She hopes that with Princess Twilight at her side she would be forgiven, but even if she was punished she would at least be free from the haunting questions of What if.

Although the subject of her return was discussed several times before this, Sunset had decided that it would be a surprise for Princess Twilight. And at first, she even considered skipping her graduation and just up and leave. Not wanting to say good-bye to her friends. But when she had discovered from Pinkie Pie that Sci-Twi was coming to see them as Crystal Prep’s graduation day was sooner, she decided to wait. And that gave Sunset Shimmer more time to think. Just as Princess Twilight had wanted to know about her experiences in the human world. Sci-Twi as well as the others were naturally curious of her life as pony. And with Sci-Twi’s appearance, they were naturally just as curious of how similar their pony counterparts were. Which,, sadly the best Sunset could do was relay what Princess Twilight tells her as she was the only other pony she was actually friends with and knew personally. There was naturally a few surprises in mind. Like the shock that Principle Celestia, Vice Principle Luna, former Student Dean now Principle Cadence, were all actually royal Princesses held in high respect and full of awe inspiring power. They never would have guess Sunset Shimmer’s Celestia had so much power that she could raise the sun and even at one time the moon as well.

There was a few awkward glances and a few snickers from Pinkie and Rainbow, when Sunset blushingly admitted that yes...as a pony she rarely wore clothes. In fact...she had to adjust the mirror’s power because the first time she had stepped through it...she had came out with...well... only wearing a pretty smile. And like Twilight she had to get used to walking only on two legs rather than all four. A lot of questions were asked. Ranging from silly to serious in some way, Did she eat grass and hay? What’s it like to use magic normally? OMG there are Dragons? The answers were: Yes, fun if you do it right, and yes but rarely seen with Spike being the exception rather than the rule. Not to mention the explanation of Cutie marks. However...as the questions got more involved, the more Sunset couldn’t answer. She had been away from Equestria for years, and a lot has changed since then.

And it was getting clear to them that Sunset was becoming more uncomfortable with the probing questions. As a good deal of the answers were starting to have the dark cloud of her past mistakes hanging over her head. They didn’t realize until after these questions just the extent of the damage in her life was. After all...it wasn’t until Princess Twilight showed up did she get her act together. When she was a unicorn, she was a very prideful, mean spirited and over all… just a plain terrible pony. It was sad really, and it actually surprised the others to learn that during her time from recovering of the Fall Formal incident, it was for the first time ever did she feel truly alone...even after she was forgiven. The Humane-6 naturally comforted her learning this. But only one of them learned of a deeper secret of Sunset Shimmer’s behavior, Sci-Twi was one of the few people who were trusted. One of the many reasons why she was so arrogant, so proud of herself to be the student of Princess Celestia, who looked down on others & kept them at arms length...was because when she was younger...she had discovered a shocking truth. She was adopted, and to make it worse...when she was old enough she went in secret to discover her birth parents, only to learn that they had died of illnesses. Her adoptive parents were traditional stuck ups who pushed her to do better. A Mother who mostly was too busy with her own life and constantly worrying about having social status. A Father who was competitive by nature and was the text book example of a never pleasing dad. No matter what you did...you could have done better.

Of course now thinking about it...She had noticed that despite how bad they were...she didn’t remember being too hurt. And then she remembered it was because she had spent a great deal of her time in Canterlot Castle studying with Celestia, so she rarely saw them. Her own rebellious mind and with parents like hers it became clear that form of thinking had corrupted her. She was spoiled, rude, and vain. But the fault was not entirely on them, no that only made her less popular at school. When she became Celestia’s personal student...that was when she also discovered the truth about her parents. Something she had trouble coping with, that was what made being Celestia’s student so special to her. She felt like girl a fairy tale story, about a mare who would end up with everything she wanted and live happily ever after. And she grew arrogant, finally she had surpassed everyone’s expectations. She didn’t need anything else, and the possibility of her becoming a princess only corrupted her further.

However Celestia in her wisdom saw her for what she really was. Just a spoiled brat who wanted her way all the time. She wanted to be recognized, she though the Princess was different but no...she was holding her back because she wasn’t good enough. Or so Sunset had thought. So naturally she decided that she would make them love her. Which blew up in her face. She only confided in both of the Twilight Sparkles she knew for similar reasons. Princess Twilight was naturally curious. But she confessed to Sci-Twi because she had been through a similar situation during the games. In fact it was a microcosm with the one difference was that Sci-Twi was loved by her birth parents and only became accidentally drunk with power. And Sunset herself in her time away from others...realized that it was wonder Celestia had such patience with her. She couldn’t remember a time when she didn’t lecture her, or remind her of the concept of humility. She distinctly remember Celestia telling her of a story where two earth ponies, a father and son duo attempted to escape an evil kingdom by using feathers and candle wax to build artificial wings, but despite the countless warnings his father gave to him, the son was so enraptured by the ability to fly...he flew too close to the sun and it melted the wax causing the feathers to shed and he drowned in the sea. And all arrogant Sunset could do was snore and dream of having wings herself.

Celestia had to have seen some kind of potential in her, must have had a rather strong faith in her at one point to put up with her for so long. But now she had squandered it, she refused to accept her punishment of simply being expelled and removed from the castle. Even with that punishment there was still a small hope that she was allowed to return if she had apologized but her anger and desire of power forced to her to choose exile. She was such an idiot that alone made her cry even harder than she had before. In even in that heated moment Celestia admitted she could have been her equal as a princess...but now...Sunset would even settle for being set back to Magic Kindergarten. It took some convincing but eventually she managed to fess up to her friends, as even they had asked at one point if she had ever consider going back.

Graduation came and went with, thankfully, no trouble of magical pony kind. Pinkie Pie had insisted they’d have a graduation party and eventual sleepover. Despite not wanting to ruin the fun, Sunset thought this would be a perfect opportunity. “So...what’s next for you guys? What are you gonna do now?”

“Well, I’m gonna be going back to my family farm of course. I might apply to a college for just a short while just so I can get a better handle on money and running business to help the farm out more.” Applejack answered.

“The animal shelter has been needing more help, I may take up trying to become a vet.” Fluttershy sighs.

“The Cakes offered me a job at their local bakery. It’s gonna be so awesome!” Pinkie beams.

“I’ve applied for college already for fashion designs in fall, but in the mean time I’ll be working at the local clothing department store.” Rarity proudly states.

“I’m applying for college too. I’m hoping to learn some of the greatest things science has to offer.” Sci-Twi answered.

However one was shocked at all their answers, “What! You mean none of you guys wanna continue the band? What about the Rainbooms? Where’s fun in college?” Rainbow Dash demanded.

“We want to have a future Rainbow Dash. The rock band was fun for a while but we got responsibilities to take care of.” Applejack reminds her.

“But...we just got out of school! Why go back so soon?” She was still so confused.

“We’ve got to strike while the iron is still hot Darling. The longer you wait, the longer it takes to get a job and it’s gets harder.” Rarity warns

“She’s right.” Fluttershy agrees.

“Hey, why don’t you teach the little leagues? That be something you’d have fun with, at least until you can find something interesting in college.” Sci-Twi suggested.

“Eh...well...I guess I could help show the squirts how awesome it’s done.” Dash smirks.

Then a thought occurs to Applejack, she turns to Sunset, “What about you sugar cube? What are you planned to do?”

Well…she brought up so...she swallows hard, “I um...I think I’m gonna move back to Equestria.” TWith the harsh scratch of a needle sliding across a record, almost everyone gave her a stunned look.

“Wait...you mean you’re leaving? Seriously?” Rainbow asks.

“Yeah...I mean...I could have left sooner but I wanted stay with you guys for a little while longer. So...now seems as good as any time.” Sunset shrugs.

“But what about us?” Pinkie asks. Then she gasps! “You will write to us right? You’ll remember us right? You won’t go off on some dangerous mission where you’ll never come back and completely forget all the people you left behind right?” She asks numerous questions clutching and squeezing Sunset’s orange face.

“Pinkie! Heel!” Applejack orders she pries her off.

“I’m not gonna forget you girls. You’ve been the only thing I’ve got going here. But...that is kind of why I’m leaving. You’ll all be busy going off to do your own thing. It’ll be a while before we’ll see each other again.” Sunset explains.

“When are you leaving?” Sci-Twi asks curiously adjusting her glasses.

“Soon...maybe tomorrow.” She confessed.

The room grew even quieter, you could hear a pin drop. Sunset mentally slapped herself, the last thing she had wanted to do was to ruin their party. “Don’t be so down, I promise to come back and visit. Remember Princess Twi’s got the portal fixed so I don’t have to wait for the moon or whatever.” She assures them.

“It just seems so...sudden.” Applejack points out taking off her cowgirl hat.

“I know. But I’ve been thinking about it for a while and...I love you girls really but...there’s nothing else here for me. Besides...I have some unfinished business back home.” Sunset confessed.

“Um...Are you gonna see the princesses?” Fluttershy asks. Sunset didn’t answer but her guilty face said it all. Pinkie’s hair deflated a bit.

“What’s gonna happen to you?” Rarity asks.

“I don’t know. I...I want to try to make things right but...” She sighs and recited her conviction, “I have to do this, I can’t run away from this anymore.”

The girls snuggled up to her giving her a big group hug even Spike rubbed his face against her legs. “No matter what happens Sunset, we still forgive ya. We’ll always be your friend.” Applejack assures her placing her hand on her shoulder.

“I know we haven’t know each other for very long, but I wouldn’t be here without you Sunset. I’m glad to be your friend.” Sci-Twi comforts.

“Yeah, we’ll back you up no matter what.” Rainbow Dash says with a grin playfully ruffling Sunset’s gold and red hair.

Sunset smiles enjoying the hug and trying not to cry, fighting back some tears, “Thanks girls.”


With her magical diary in her backpack she at first considered giving it to Sci-Twi to keep in contact with her but later decides she’ll just learn how to make her one. It can’t be that hard. Actually speaking of it, she recently got a letter not from Twilight but from Starlight Glimmer. It was curious about her timing with it. For when she got the message and read it, it only convinced her even more that going back and facing Celestia was the right thing to do. Putting her black leather jacket on and strapping her backpack on she went into the barn and petted the horses she taken care of and said goodbye. The farmers who owned the place were sad to see her go but they assured her that there was plenty of help on the ranch to take care of her chores and she was welcomed to come back if she changed her mind.

Taking one last look at the farm she used to call home...she waved goodbye and headed for the school. Thankfully with it being summer now, nobody would notice the attention she might draw. Looking up at the statue place that held the portal she gazed at the replaced horse. With the original destroyed by Midnight Sparkle, Crystal Prep’s committee helped raised the money to replace it as they felt it was partly their fault for it being damaged anyway. The magnificent horse stood proudly rearing on it’s hind legs. Sunset sighs bracing herself however just as her hand was about to touch the portal’s surface, she hears a voice. “Now hold on dare sugar cube. Ain’t you forgetting something?” Sunset turned around to find all her friends with backpacks on. With Sci-Twi carrying some of her experiment equipment and Spike on a leash, Pinkie Pie had a camera around her neck and sunglasses and lotion on her nose like she was going to the beach.

“SELFIE!” Pinkie jumps forcing Sunset into a picture with a big grin on her face as the camera flashed making Sunset dizzy a bit.

“What are you girls doing?” Sunset asks rather stunned and shaking her head from the camera flash.

“Why We’re going with you Darling.” Rarity explains.

Twilight adjusted her PKE meter, “I’m rather fascinated by how your magic works, and you did say I should try and more hands on approach. I thought visiting your home would be an ideal thing to try.”

The former pony couldn’t believe her ears, “You can’t come with me! What about your lives?”

“We ain’t staying long, we just want to make sure you’ll be okay.” Aj explains.

“Yeah, told ya we wouldn’t leave ya hanging.” Rainbow smirks with a wink.

“Girls, I swear I’ll be okay. I was gonna make this a surprise for Princess Twilight...I can’t explain how 6 more girls showing up on her door step. It’s too dangerous. I don’t even know what’s going on in Equestria. You’ve see what their magic can do.” She tries to reason.

“We’ll handle it. We did it before and we totally kicked their butts!” Rainbow assures her.

“Plus we’ll have your pony friends to help too.” Rarity added.

“Look Sunset, we’re going with you. You were there for us and it’s high time somebody was for you.” the cowgirl insisted.

“She’s right, you can’t just expect us to just let you go it alone.” Sci-Twi adds.

With a sigh and a small smile, Sunset gave in. She realizes that this was happening whether she liked it or not. She probably would have guessed they would have chased after her had she left sooner or without warning. “Okay girls…thank you. Get ready, traveling into an other universe can be rather...unsettling. And...prepare for some weird changes.” She warns them. Applejack had already worked to get the group tied together with rope so as not to loose each other as unlikely as it would be. Sunset gulped a bit she extended her hand on the surface of the rift again. The portal glows a bright pink, the metal surface ripples like water as the portal activates sensing her touch.

“LAST ONE IS A ROTTEN EGG!” Pinkie charges in with no fear dragging everyone else with her.

“PINKIE PIIIIIIIEEEEE!” Rarity screams.

“WOOAAAHHHHh!” Everyone yells as they are sucked into the magical vortex.

“WEEEE!” Pinkie squees having a lot fun.

Dazzling colors swirled the around them, their eyes close and as they felt their bodies began to shift and change. The starts and lights dazzle their eyes when they try to open them. Despite the radical changes it wasn’t too unpleasant. For Sunset Shimmer her body had grown used to it so she was at peace in her mind as she just waited for ride to come to a complete stop.

Which it did when they come crashing head first into a brilliant purple floor. First Pinkie of course then Sunset, then Twilight with Rarity crashing into her, and lastly Rainbow Dashing on top of Applejack as the last to be on top of the pony pile up. Getting to their feet, Sunset looked down at herself she was still in her jacket, shirt and skirt but she also had her hooves and as she patted the horn on her head now back where it belongs. No wings sadly so one less question to answer, not that she felt she would have earned them anyway. Looking to her former human friends she was glad to know everyone came out okay and dressed. Though there was one difference. Sci-Twi was a unicorn. Which would make sense, she hadn’t been through what this world’s Twilight has been.

She used her unicorn magic to untie them and got them to their hooves. They were a little disorientated and took them a few moments to get used to being quadrupeds. Rainbow Dash was already liking her wings, something they were slightly used to when in their “Pony-up” form. Now they had truly crossed beyond that, they were real ponies. Checking on Spike they had discovered that he had in fact turned into a small dragon. But despite understanding a few things he still couldn’t talk nor could he breath fire. He pouts flicking his tongue, he had simply gone from canine to reptile and was more of just an overgrown lizard, and hardly even overgrown. “Sorry Spike, I didn’t expect it to be that easy.” Sunset apologized.

“Starlight? Would you mind checking on that noise? I’m kind of in the middle of something.” a familiar voice called out.

“Sure thing.” The door to the lab where Princess Twilight keeps the portal opens. The group were greeted by a light pinkish lavender pony with had dark purple hair and a bright teal streak through her mane. In some ways she looked similar to Twilight herself. Starlight’s eyes widen in surprise. “UH….Twilight! We got some surprised guests!” She looked at Sunset’s flank recognizing her cutie mark. “You must be Sunset Shimmer. I’m Starlight Glimmer. It’s nice to meet you in person.”

“Who’s our…Sunset!” Princess Twilight gasps in surprise as she sees her friend and her alternate self and the others standing in the room of her castle. “What a surprise! I...I didn’t know you were coming.”

“I know.” Sunset gave a guilty look.

“You brought the others too?” She asks giving a curious look.

“It was our idea actually. We wanted take a vacation to see you. We just finished school so we thought why not?” Applejack explains.

“Oh...okay. Well welcome to my castle here in Equestria. Castle Friendship of Ponyville.” Twilight introduced pulling back a curtain showing them a few of the town below.

“Wow. It’s looks awesome!” Rainbow and the others gasp in awe.

“I have to say dear your place looks fancy even for a princess how much did it cost to build?” Rarity asks curiously.

“One public library, a magic box, 6 magical keys, and half of a country side of destruction.” Twilight said flatly. The others give her a look. “It’s a long story.”

“Um...Twilight...could I...talk to you in private?” Sunset asks.

“Sure. Starlight? Why don’t you help the girls settled in and let Spike know.” Twilight requested.

“Sure, I’d like to get to know you girls myself. I rarely hear about anything in the human world.” Starlight beams hoping she could also make some new friends herself.

When they got a moment alone, Princess Twilight gave a concern look, “What’s wrong Sunset?”

“Well um...I’ve been feeling homesick lately and...now that graduation is over...I felt lost. I don’t suppose I could stay with you could I? I don’t mean to impose or anything.” The orange unicorn tries to explain.

“Oh Sunset...of course you can. We got plenty of room. Seriously...I still get lost in this place.” She sheepishly admitted. Then the obvious question came to her, “What changed your mind?”

“I um...I got to thinking about...what I did and...how my life has changed since you came into it. I was thinking about it and...I got a letter from Starlight that really convinced me that it was time to come home.” She confesses.

The young alicorn put her hooves around her neck, “We’re friends, you’re always welcome here Sunset. We’ll be glad to have you.”

Sunset sniffs a bit and tries to continue, “I need help Twilight…I wanna make things right but...I’m scared.”

“It’s okay Sunset. I promise. We’ll make it work. She’ll forgive you, I know it.” Her friend swears. She gives her a bigger hug before going off and catching up with their friends.

Once the sleeping arrangements had been made, Princess Twilight shows them the map room to give them proper tour of Ponyville and Equestria. “And over here is Sweet Apple Acers, where my Applejack works really hard growing Apples. In fact her family are the founders of the town.”

“Wow...I bet she’s mighty proud.” The former human AJ compliments.

“Proud, strong, and very dependable.” Princess Twilight smirks.

“Where’s the other princesses?” Rarity asks.

“They live in Canterlot. I don’t see them very often because they’re super busy.” She pointed the Castle build into the side of the mountain. “And way up here in the north is the Crystal Empire. My brother Shining Armor and my sister in law Princess Cadence protect the Crystal Ponies. In fact I recently became an Aunt to a cute little filly alicorn named Flurry Heart.” Twilight says proudly.

“Awww.” The girls coo.

“Sunset said this world can be dangerous, and I’ve see what your magic can do. Should we be aware of anything?” Sci-Twi asks.

“Well...not at the moment. There is one I can think of. His name is Discord.” Twilight groans.

“The Spirit of Chaos? He’s actually loose?” Sunset asks, she had discovered his statue at one point in her early life.

“Yes...don’t worry he’s...mostly harmless now. Fluttershy has been doing a fairly good job at keeping him reigned in. Actually...much as I hate to admit it. He’s helped me out a few times and he is trying to be a good friend.” Twilight explains. She could only imagine what new form of insanity he would cause learning of the human world.

“I never would have guessed that for our old Superintendent.” Applejack admitted.

“DISCORD WAS YOUR SUPERINTENDENT!?” Both Sunset and Princess Twilight ask in shock.

“That explains so much.” Sunset rolls her eyes. Suddenly a lot things made a lot of sense to Sunset Shimmer.

During dinner that night, the girls explained how things were going to work out. They wanted to stay for a while to explore the world they’ve heard so much about and to make sure Sunset was settled in before going home. There was talk of meeting their other selves and there was a slight bit of fear as they realize that they would have 2 Pinkie Pies roaming around. Which lead to Twilight having to retell the tale of her Pinkie using a magic pond to clone herself, and rumor has it some clones may still being around somewhere. She also told the story of Tirek and how of it was his attack that destroyed Golden Oak’s library her old home which she misses still, how he attacked everyone stealing their magic to become insanely powerful. It was because he also betrayed Discord as he had betrayed them, Discord finally came around to sincerely wanted to be friends with the others. She also explains the origins of the Tree of Harmony that gave her the box that contained the Rainbow Power of Harmony and the box planted itself creating Twilight’s new home they were sitting it.

There was some awkwardness when they asked how Starlight Glimmer met Twilight. “I um...rather not talk about it. I made some horrible mistakes myself. Let’s just say Sunset and I have a lot in common.” Starlight shyly looked way. They took the hint and choose not to push it further. Twilight explains that she had her Spike send a message to Princess Celestia requesting an audience with her and they would have to wait until they get a reply which is shouldn’t take long. She was used to replying to her rather quickly. Which she did get and it was okay for them to visit tomorrow afternoon. “So soon? Well... might as well get it over with.” Sunset thinks to herself.

The morning was peaceful...But everyone just knew it would be the calm before the storm. One bright pink, frosting covering, hyper giggling, confetti flying storm. “Are you excited? I’m excited! Oh this gonna be so cool! So many new friends to make, and it be easy cause it’ll be like they’ve already met me!” Pinkie squees talking so fast it was wonder they could make out what she says. And then...like acids mixing with bases, matter and antimatter...it happened. Two huge gasps of shock and surprise as they met up with classic Pinkie at Sugar Cube Corner. It was like a stereo echo effect and dialed up to 11. “OMG YOU’RE ME FROM THE OTHER UNIVERSE! THIS SO COOL! WE CAN TOTALLY HAVE TWICE AS MUCH FUN! DO YOU LIKE PARTIES? I LOVE PARTIES! WE COULD HAVE A CUPCAKE EATING CONTEST! YOU LOVE CUPCAKES TOO?! THIS SO AWESOME!”

Sunset leans into to Princess Twilight and whispered, “True love at last.” Twilight snickered a bit. Once they got both Pinkie’s to settle down with the promise of a party later on it was time to meet up with Rarity however...they were interrupted by a loud hard landing. It was Rainbow Dash and she glares, “Stand back girls I can take care of these changeling spies.”

“Hey who you calling a spy?” The alternate Dash demanded.

“You! There’s only one awesome Rainbow Dash around here and that’s me!” The classic pony Rainbow Dash assured.

“Calm down both of you. She’s not a changeling. She’s you from that universe I met Sunset Shimmer in.” Princess Twilight explains.

Rainbow Dash twitched her wings a bit before making an embarrassed smile, “Oh...hey. Heheh Sorry about that.”

“We’re cool, I’d probably do the same...if I knew what changeling was.” Alternate Dash admits.

“So you any good with those wings?” Dash Prime asks.

“I’ve rarely used them before, but I’m itching to try ‘em out.” Alternate Dash grins.

“Well follow me! I’ll teach you how to clear the sky in 10 secs flat.”

“Be careful you two.” Sci-Twi warns them.

The two fly off and they watched from below as RD teaches A.Dash how to fly and much their surprise she was a fast learner. “This is...AWESOME!” A. Dash grins as she races through several clouds. She couldn’t believe what this feels like, it was like she could have always done it.

“Hey you’ve heard of a Sonic Rainboom?” Rainbow Dash asks.

“Yeah, are you thinking what I’m thinking?” A.Dash asks. They both grin and accelerated making a big u turn they raced as soon enough they broke the sound barrier to create a Double Sonic Rainboom! It was awe inspiring. Bright Rainbow colors streaks across the sky covering all of Ponyville with a loud rumbling heard. When they landed Rainbow landed okay but Alternate had a bit of a rougher one with a slight dirt trail left behind her now swore hooves.

“Not bad rookie. Maybe we can hang out later and I help you work on that landing. You can meet my Scootaloo she’s gonna freak.” Rainbow smirks.

“You’re on. That was radical.” A.Dash grins excitedly.

With one more added to the roster, they head for Carousel Boutique, they would then pick up Fluttershy and meet up with Applejack at her farm for lunch. It took a bit of doing, as Alternate Rarity was just as excited to see all the outfits her pony prime self had made. It would make for an interesting idea for the two of them to work in fashion with trading to see how human and pony outfits could go together. Alternate Fluttershy was enamored by all the cute critters that her pony counterpart was taking care of.

“Are ya sure you’re okay with this Sugar Cube? I mean there is a lot of us.” Alternate AJ asks.

“No sweat of my brow, It’s like meeting another distant cousin.” Pony Applejack beams.

“The farm looks so nice, you must have been busy to keep it going this strong.”

“Eeeyup.” Big Mac agrees.

“I honestly don’t know how you did it on top of going to school so long.” Pony AJ wonders.

“It ain’t easy but we make it worth while. But now that I’m out Ah can get back to it with no trouble.” Her alternate smiles.

Through all the happy excitement and fun the others were having, making plans during their vacation, sharing experiences, getting to know what their other selves are like. Starlight happened to notice a very quiet Sunset Shimmer. “You’re worried about going to see her aren’t you?”

Sunset sighs, “...yeah.”

“I know you’re scared. Trust me I get what you’re going through. And I know it’s worse because how close you two were. But you’ll be okay. Remember what I said? And believe me if she can forgive Discord, she’ll forgive you.” Starlight encourages.

“Thanks. I just...I don’t know what to say. I got like...a million things I want to say...I just know I’m gonna be too scared to say anything. So many ways I want to apologize.” Sunset sighs.

“Don’t be afraid. You messed up, but you more than made up for it. It’s gonna be okay.” Starlight promises.

Taking the train, it was gonna be a bit before they get to Canterlot. Sunset decides to take a nap as she had spent a good deal of her day keeping up with the others and admitted that she had spent part of her previous nights being up late worrying about her fate and the other part packing up and trying to think of any other thing she would have wanted to address before leaving. Using her black jacket as a makeshift blanket she closes her teal green eyes and went to sleep. With others promising to try their best to keep things down.

For a while it was quiet. But then opening her eyes Sunset Shimmer found herself in a starry expanse standing on fog and clouds with wisps of light swirly around. She only vaguely recognized it from the description Twilight had made when she became an alicorn. And like the story, windows of her memories and events played back to her. And at the end of the hall way she had found the mirror that started this mess. Looking at it she saw not her ponyself as she was looking down at herself but her human self. She extended her hoof and as her human self reach out with her hand.

“I wonder if that is what I’m suppose to be.” She says to herself.

Without warning Sunset’s human form in flash of black and green flames turned her reflection to her demon self. “Rraaahh!” She snarled. Sunset gasps in mirror as she backs away from the mirror tripping over herself.

“Tis only a reflection, young one.” A gentle voice calls out. Sunset turns around to see Princess Luna. “Not often do I visit a day dreamer. But you must have needed our aid.” Sunset bows respectfully. “I know what it is you saw in the mirror. Your dark reflection still haunts you.”

Sunset starts sniff trying to fight tears, “I don’t get it...I thought I was over this. I know today is not my yesterday. So... why?”

Luna helps Sunset up from the floor, “We all struggle with our past mistakes. We may make the promise to not let them haunt us...but there are times when we struggle to keep them. There will be a time when fate will test you.” She lead her back to the mirror, still showing Demon Shimmer but with a new face of Nightmare Moon as Luna’s reflection standing next to her. “I, like yourself, know that pain as well.”

“But your her sister! Of course she would forgive you.” Sunset argues.

“And do you think that alone absolves my guilt? Or her own? Consider yourself lucky. 1,000 years is a long time to endure. And Starlight herself...” She shows Starlight Glimmer though with a different hair style and the false equalizer cutie mark brandishing the fake Staff of Sameness. “A girl who lashed out at the world and threaten all reality for life treating her unfairly. But there is one thing you have done, that separates you...” She points to Sunset’s chest and then at mirror, “And that you.”

“What?” She simply asks.

“Taking the helping hoof...when it is offered.” Luna points to the memory of Princess Twilight offering her hand to help Sunset out of the pit she caused. “And...if you recall, you did the same.” She then replays the memory she offered her own hand to save Sci-Twi from her own darkself. “You wish to prove that you’re not that image? Face your fears young Sunset Shimmer and do not let it destroy what you have built.”

Waking up with a small gasp, she realized she had a surprise. Starlight Glimmer had decided to join in on that nap as was snuggled up next her. Using her magic she pulled from her bag the magic journal and turned the page that held the letter Starlight had sent to her.

Dear Sunset Shimmer,

I heard what happened to you when you met Twilight. I just wanted to say that I understand exactly how you feel. I didn’t think real friendship was important. I thought if I could just force people to be the same there wouldn’t be need for conflict and we’d all be friends. I tried to rewrite history to show Twilight what it was like to be alone. I didn’t take the hoof that was offered the first time and I ended up doing something worse. And yet...here I am, her personal student. Another chance & a fresh start. I know some ponies let bitterness consume them, but your not beyond hope if you are still willing to take that hoof. When I met Celestia, it was for the first time ever. And I was scared. She knew, maybe she saw it in her dreams, maybe Twilight told her, I don’t know but...she still accepted me. I know she will forgive you. I want to help you in anyway I can. If you ever decide to try and make things right, You are not alone, you have Twilight, Spike, and me. We will stand by you.

Your new friend,

Starlight Glimmer.

Sunset sighs she managed not to shed tears, instead she looked at her new friend laying next to her. She smirks and lays her head on hers, closing her eyes going back to sleep until they arrived. When they finally did, it was exciting for the humane counterparts getting to see the castle. Alternate Rarity was amazed her ponyself has a shop here as well. She only hopes that she’ll be as successful. There were a ton of sights they wanted to see. They would have to come back and visit more often.

The guards had them them pass without batting an eye, Twilight had written in her letter of the company she would be bringing alone so there was no mistake of changelings like Rainbow Dash as assumed. They couldn’t believe their eyes as they walked passed the hall that had the stain glass windows that recorded their events, such when Twilight first stopped Nightmare Moon, and Discord, and even when Twilight had became a Princess.

They had lead her to the throne room door. “Girls, I think we should wait for Sunset first.” The others grew quite. This was it, the reason why they come in the first place. The humane group had come to support Sunset Shimmer, Sci-Twi figured everyone, having got caught up the excitement, was remembering that now. Everyone was nervous. Well everyone except Princess Twilight and Starlight.

Sunset shimmer gulped, “I...I don’t think I can go in.” Despite all the encouraging words she was given, she was chickening out. “I...I just can’t.”

However it was Sci-Twilight who reached out to hold Sunset Shimmer’s hoof and placed it on the door knob. “Don’t be afraid, you need this, do it for her and for yourself.”

Sunset took a deep breath and letting out slow she turns the knob and opens the door. She stepped into the long room walking silently on the red carpet. There she was in all her glory, her wings spread out to stretched out to their full extent. Her crown and other regalia seemed to sparkle in the light, not on her throne, she was standing by one window speaking causally with Princess Luna.

“He...hello Princess.” Sunset stuttered in a quite squeaky voice. Luna’s ear twitched as to pick her voice, it was a wonder they could have heard at all she almost whispered it. Sunset felt very small, like she was a filly caught red handed sneaking out and staying out all night.

The two princesses turned to face the orange unicorn. Celestia’s eyes widen in surprise almost left speechless. Princess Luna only raised an eyebrow, “I shall leave this to you Dear sister.” And with that she took her leave, however not before turning to Sunset to give a comforting smirk and wink.

Princess Celestia was still quite surprised to see Sunset Shimmer standing there. She had finally come back. Her facial expression seemed frozen in silent surprise. Not showing any sign of anger or hate. It was an awkward pause. Sunset tried to summon any ounce of courage she had in her body. “I...I know have mixed feelings about seeing me. I’d just want to say that...” She broke down crying, “I’m sorry Celestia! I’m so sorry! I screwed up! You were just trying to protect and help me…and I threw it your face. I don’t expect to be forgiven…but I swear I wanna make thing rig...” She was intrupted with Celestia pulling her into a deep hug.

“I forgive you...my long lost student.” She whispered tears in her own eyes.

“How...how can you not be mad at me?” Sunset asks.

“I was never angry at you. I was upset, and...angry at myself. I let you wonder off the right path. I didn’t reach out to you when I should have. You didn’t want to be a princess did you?”

“No...I just...wanted to be loved...respected. And I let my own ego get the better of me.” Sunset sniffed.

“And I...let my let my temper got the better of me. There were days when I worried about you. I should have gone after you. Try to make things right myself. But I didn’t, I felt to guilty to do it.When I learned from Twilight...how much you changed...I was overjoyed. I missed you my lost student. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you.”

“I forgive you.”

Tia squeezed her once more before letting go. Looking up she finds the dozen or so ponies standing in front of the door a few crying at the tender moment. “I see you’ve learned the lesson I was trying to teach you as well.” she smirks. Sunset could only nod wiping a few tears. “Come...I have something for you.”

She lead the girls to special room, a room that Sunset remembers being her old bed room when she used to say at the castle. “I knew from the beginning you were adopted. But I didn’t realize...how poorly they treated you. When I finally did, you had grow stuck in that terrible mindset of being privileged. But I knew deep down, there was hope. I just didn’t know how to reach it then. I had hoped that one day I would have finally gotten through to you, that you would be ready for this.” She a pulled out special jeweled box. “And...I never got the chance to tell you a surprise that I wanted give you, before...we parted ways.” She tried to explain. Sunset winced a bit with a twinch of guilt. “But I think you’ve more than than earned it now.” The sun princess gave a reassuring smile.

Sunset opened the box to find two things inside. The first caught her eye instantly. She gasped in shock as Celestia lifted from the box for the others to see a shiny golden tiara with red and orange jewels and a center aqua green piece, “A...a princess crown? I...couldn’t. I don’t deserve that.”

“Yes you do. You are a bright and wonderful pony. You’ve endured a lot. Yes… you stumbled, but so did I. You took the initiative in trying to make things right, something I should have also done. And you accomplished more than I could expect: branching out and bringing two worlds together. I couldn’t be more proud.” She then raised up the other item in the box, while not as fancy it was just as important. They were scrolls but not just any scrolls, they were Sunset’s adoption papers. “I also realized, what you needed was not a teacher, but a mother. Someone who wouldn’t care if you were a princess or not, they would love you all the same. And I found someone who would, in fact you reminded them of themselves when they were young.”

Sunset opened the scrolls to read it, skimming it she found the signature of her new mother. And as if she wasn’t in shock already, this nearly made her faint. It couldn’t be. After everything she’s done. This was too big. “This...this your...” She couldn’t finish. She looked up Celestia with tearful eyes.

She simply nodded, “If you will have me.”

Sunset ran up and gave her mother a hug, “You’re too kind to me...yes.”

Celestia looked up at the group, “Princess Twilight?”

“Yes?”

“I owe you a special thanks you. You and everyone here. Without you Sunset would not be here today. Thank you...for bringing my daughter back to me.” She says sincerely.

Twilight and the girls sniffed and nodded. The new crow was placed on a kneeling Sunset Shimmer. When it did her body glowed for a moment and soon, wings that looked they were dancing flames, the same she had when she battled Midnight Sparkle, appeared. “Ethereal wings. A rare trait. They suit you well. Princess Sunset.” Celestia smiles, “I’m proud of you...my daughter.”

Sunset couldn’t believe this was happening, she looked at the others who were bowing before her, “Hey...come on girls we’re all friends here.” She giggled a bit. She turned to face her new mother, “I love you Mom.”

Celestia smiles, “I love you too. Come on, I shall have the chiefs provide us some sweets. I believe certain two pink ponies would want have a large party.” Both Pinkies grin, and both agreed that the main message was for their friend: Welcome Home Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset finally got what she had really wanted, real friends & family. And even got things she didn’t expect like a crown and her wings. But she wasn't given them, she didn’t take them, she had earned them. When they had a moment alone, Sunset Shimmer gave Starlight and the two Twilights a hug, “Thanks girls, I wouldn’t be here without you.” She had no idea what she was a princess of yet, maybe she and Sci-Twi will be ambassadors of their two worlds some day. Whatever happens next, Sunset Shimmer knows she has friends and family to face together. Her future was looking bright.

Author's Note:

This is requested sequel to The sun is setting. So be sure to read that one first.

Comments ( 11 )

Okay, Sunset having ETHEREAL wings...that is something I 100% support.

You might want to check your formatting. About mid way through the entire story becomes italicized. Overall nice story.

7575650
Yeah I noticed that, I'm gonna fix it. never fails you finally posted it thinking you've got it all edited and done. then bam you post and suddenly thousands of errors you've missed show up.

I like this piece, but there are some errors you may want to address.

her 2nd guess

Usually, writing the whole word is preferred to using numerals, so 'second' rather than '2nd'

he attacked everyone steeling

Quite metal-some this Tirek. Stealing?

There was a record scratch heard almost everyone gave her stun look.

This can be read at least two different ways. First, as if there is the real sound effect and everyone reacts to it; and secondly with the sound as a metaphor. In addition, there should probably be a pause after 'heard'. Lastly, 'stun' should be replaced with 'stunned'.

"With the harsh scratch of a needle sliding across a record, almost everyone gave her a stunned look."
"As if someone had scratched a needle across a record, almost everyone gave her a stunned look."

She had been away from Equestria for years, and a lot has changed since then.

There are issues with tense here. This sentence slides from past to present , and it isn't the only one. The story starts in past tense, but soon this mix of past and present tenses is in each paragraph, and sometimes even the same sentence. Sunset is tense enough without this. :pinkiesmile:

Ellipses! Ellipses everywhere! Excessive ellipses end exciting, expansive, exceptional expositon!
Carefully crafted commas can cure this conundrum. :trixieshiftright:

Trust me, i have written worse. I think there is potential here, it just needs polishing. :ajsmug:

7576289

Always nice to have a fresh pair of eyes to help me out.

enlightening and alluring alteration. ^.^

Comment posted by Swashbucklist deleted Sep 20th, 2016

I could barely read it at the end. My eyes were watering at that point. It was that heartwarming. Great Job!

I want sequel please :trollestia:

While the ending of this was vary emotional I did not seem to cry I guess I only cry to sad stuff not happy stuff instead I smile at happy stuff
It is a good story and these family stories are always a good read but hard to fine

nice work.

Twilight and the girls sniffed and nodded. The new crow was placed on a kneeling Sunset Shimmer. When it did her body glowed for a moment and soon, wings that looked they were dancing flames, the same she had when she battled Midnight Sparkle, appeared. “Ethereal wings. A rare trait. They suit you well. Princess Sunset.” Celestia smiles, “I’m proud of you...my daughter.”

Sunny: OH SO SHE GETS THEM FIRST?

Login or register to comment