• Published 22nd Jul 2016
  • 3,336 Views, 43 Comments

Cursed Crusader - Caffeinated Pony



One Nightmare Night the Cutie Mark Crusaders take an unfortunate turn into the Everfree Forest, and Sweetie Belle is afflicted with a a terrible curse.

  • ...
2
 43
 3,336

Sunrise

The week ended for my friends as the clock struck struck three in the afternoon that Friday. Despite them being free from school, I sat there in my dark room and stared at the clock. I wanted to go meet them, maybe go back to Apple Bloom's farm and have fun hanging around the orchard. Maybe we might have borrowed some money from Rarity and went to get something to eat. Instead I was sitting there, waiting for the sun to set. Despite the fabric totally covering my window, I could tell it was still day. The temperature fluctuated enough for me to notice despite the air conditioning. If I was confused I only had to look towards the door, where a small amount of light would always creep beneath it during the day.

Looking back to the clock, a minute had passed. I sat down, staring at it. I hated the instrument in a lot of ways now that I was a vampire. It held no sway over me, but I knew that it was counting down the days for the rest of the world. It fit time into managable chunks for normal ponies to use, but for me it was useless. The only thing that mattered for me was the current time. The future didn't exist yet, and no matter how long it took to get there I could wait for it. It just made the time an inconvenience when I didn't want it. I couldn't sleep with so much on my mind, so I had to wait. Books littered the corners of my room where I'd stacked them. I wanted to get some reading done, but what if I lost track of time? I had to talk to my friends as soon as I could, so still I waited… my gaze never straying from the clock face.

The next thing that I knew the clock struck eight, my ears picking up on the metallic 'clink' of the hour hand stiffly pushing itself forwards. I heard a knock downstairs and looked at my door, confirming that no sunlight was still flooding the hallway outside. I opened the bedroom door and ran down the steps, a lot faster than normal. I found Rarity opening the door, welcoming in Scootaloo and Apple Bloom. With a cheerful hop I leapt over to them, although I overshot the 'hop' a bit. It had started as a small spring in my step that had ended in me skittering to a stop, nearly crashing into the two of them. I hugged the two fillies, pulling them close. Rarity leaned forwards, clearly a bit nervous at my physical proximity to them.

“Hey Sweetie! We both went to sleep for a few hours after school, so we could come see ya'.” Apple Bloom exclaimed, returning my hug. “AppleJack said it was alright if we stayed out after dark. She doesn't know 'bout your… y'know, changes. So if we see her, best you hid someplace.”

Scootaloo looked at both of us. “I don't know what you mean 'we both' slept after school… I haven't slept since last night.”

I let go of the two, tapping my hoof. Leave it to Scootaloo to completely miss the memo. Rarity looked between us, seeming a bit nervous about letting the three of us go out again. After all the last time it had turned out in a total disaster. On a holiday no less. Instead of fretting though, she took a step back and waved, although she was still clearly worried.

“Well, have a good time you three. Try to have fun.”

I ran up to her and gave her a a hug goodbye. She returned it, then let me run out the door to join my friends in the cool evening air. The three turned towards me, as if they were expecting me to say something. I just shrugged, turning in the direction of the Apple Bloom's home and began to walk. The three followed quietly for a bit, and I decided to hum to have some ambience while we trotted through the quiet streets. Apple Bloom smiled, walking closer to me as time went on. Once we were all but brushing against one another she stopped, enjoying the tune. After we were out of the main streets and on the path out to the Apple's family farm I spoke up.

“You guys want to go to the clubhouse? I haven't been outside enough since Nightmare Night.”

Apple Bloom nodded. “Sure Sweetie. I don't know what we'd do if the sun started to come up in there though. Maybe I should stop and get some things from the junk shed first? Toss some carpet in there, and get something to cover the windows? I don't want you to get stuck under the desk all day.”

She had a good point. We could pretty easily see between the floorboards in there, meaning light could easily get in that way. The roof was thankfully watertight. The windows would need to be covered if I was going to spend the day in there. It seemed pretty easy, so I nodded at those suggestions. I was grateful she was thinking about things like that, because my mind was in a totally different place. While we talked Scootaloo looked around, gazing out at the fields that surrounded that side of Ponyville.

After a long while of walking we all ended up at the barn, and we headed swiftly to the junk shed. The much smaller shack that sat behind the barn had been simply dubbed 'The Junk Shed' since before any of us had been born. The reason was pretty simple to anyone who had seen it before. The Apple family were a very thrifty bunch that were adept at repurposing things to do different jobs than what they normally were meant to. This was reflected in them keeping an whole shed full of miscellany behind the barn. It had wood from numerous different sources littered everywhere, metal pipes, beams, farming tools, an enormous bucket full of any screw or bolt imaginable, woodworking equipment, loads of old signs and memorabilia, dozens of buckets of paint, antique furniture, and countless other things hidden away in the dark shed. If you needed anything and knew the Apple family it was wise to ask them if they had it first, because probability dictated that they had what you were looking for.

Apple Bloom took a flashlight off a hook near the entrance to the shed, giving it to Scootaloo. I turned the other way, not wanting to be totally blinded as the two searched for what they needed. I hummed and looked out at the night, enjoying the cool breeze and the moonlight. I instinctively looked up to see the silver crescent above, casting its light down onto me. It was a gentle glow, one that didn't burn me or take my ability to see away. The moonlight felt different to me, since I was a vampire. Its presence wasn't overwhelming like the sunlight. The sun felt overbearing, its heat pushing down like a constant pressure. The moonlight had no physical presence, save for letting normal ponies see whatever was illuminated by its silver rays. It performed its purpose, however it didn't push itself on others. It let me do whatever I wished in it without the sweat and heat that accompanied the sun.

After about ten minutes the two walked out of the shed carrying a roll of carpet easily twice width of our clubhouse, and I looked to Apple Bloom in confusion. She shrugged, setting the roll of carpet down before her and Scootaloo walked back in. Apple Bloom returned with a bunch of curtains over her back, and Scootaloo was trying to handle a set of shears. I levitated the set of shears over to me, letting Apple Bloom take the curtains. I helped Scootaloo hoist the carpet onto her back, then I lifted my side and put it onto my own back. We set off towards our clubhouse, while Apple Bloom trailed a bit behind. As we made our way into the orchard itself the moonlight faded, leaving my two friends unable to see. I did a good job of leading them, making sure they didn't run into any trees. After a while we arrived at our clubhouse, and we set our things down.

Apple Bloom took control of the situation, pointing to the carpet. “Okay, Sweetie Belle needs to go and get a measurement of the inside of the clubhouse so we know how much carpet we need. Scootaloo, me and you gotta keep watch out here. I forgot to bring that flashlight with us… so we won't help too much if we head inside.”

“Actually, didn't you put that old lamp in the desk for our sleepover two weeks ago?” Scootaloo said,

The farmhand tapped her chin, nodding. “Huh… I kinda forgot about that. Thanks for remindin' me. Could you light that before we head up Sweetie?”

I nodded and quickly ran up the ramps to the clubhouse. I turned and slid aside the fake windowsill that Apple Bloom had put in to hide the keys to the door. Taking the keys with my magic I unlocked the door and put the them back in the secret compartment, sliding the board back into place. I walked inside, heading to the desk that we had put in there after one too many days doing homework on the floor. I admired the work that we'd put into this place, with its amazingly well constructed walls and ceiling. I took the meter stick we had set against the side of the desk, then went fishing around in the enormous bottom drawers. I found the oil lamp, gently setting it on the desk before using magic to give a spark, lighting a small flame to illuminate the inside of the clubhouse.

I measured the walls with the meter stick, quickly doing the math needed to figure out how much we needed. I set the meter stick aside, then ran outside. I rattled off the measurements I'd taken, and Apple Bloom got to work cutting up the carpet with the shears. Once it was at the size we needed Scootaloo rolled it up, carrying it with my help up into the clubhouse. Once we got there, we realized there was a problem. The desk prevented us from putting the carpet down. I set the roll just outside, giving it an annoyed glare. It had taken all three of us to just to get the thing up the ramp and through the door when we'd put it in. I looked back at them, silently wondering if… maybe I could lift it. I didn't want to show off in front of them, but I knew if I hurt myself it didn't really matter. I would heal up in few seconds at most.

I positioned myself in front of the desk and took a few deep breaths, trying to focus. After about half a minute I pushed myself to levitate the desk with all the will I could muster. A green light enveloped the desk and it lifted sharply, nearly toppling the oil lamp on top of it. I eased off of it, realizing that I was putting way too much force towards pushing it upwards. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom looked in awe of me, levitating the dense metal desk without that much of a problem. I still had to keep my focus on the desk, but I didn't feel the exertion I thought I would earlier. The other two picked up the carpet and took it in, unrolling it. I stepped over it when it came time, letting them align it to the corners of the room. Once they were done I set the desk down, and Scootaloo gave a light clap of her front hooves.

“I'll admit, that was really cool. There's no way you could've lifted that a week ago.”

I gave a small bow, flattered. Apple Bloom went and got the curtains, but set them aside for the time being. I sat down on the nice carpet, nodding. It was rather comfortable, and it actually did wonders for the acoustics in there. Scootaloo shut the clubhouse door, leaving us all in there alone. For a few minutes none of us talked. We just listened to the crickets outside and watched the dust play in the shafts of moonlight coming through the window. Once we had settled a bit I decided I may as well break the silence. Especially since I had so much to talk about.

“You guys… things have changed a lot this week.”

Both of them nodded, agreeing with me. Even though neither of them spoke, they knew exactly what I meant. Ponies were asking questions around school. I had heard that Rarity had passed it off as illness, and Twilight was working on an alibi for me. If all else failed we could just get her to play her royalty card, but that would just make it more suspicious. Soon they would go to Apple Bloom and Scootaloo with their questions, knowing they were closest to me. I continued, turning my thoughts back to my friends.

“Apple Bloom… you're okay with letting me drink your blood right?”

She nodded, looking over at me. “Of course, Sweetie. You did it once, it wasn't too bad. Did ya' think I changed my mind?”

“No, I just wanted to make sure. I also wanted to ask you about what happened on Nightmare Night. Are you-”

“I don't want to talk about that, Belles.” The farmhand said, interrupting me. “Just… some things better left unsaid.”

I nodded, not willing to push her on the issue. Scootaloo seemed a bit lost as to what we had just referred to, but she knew enough to let that thread of the conversation die where it was. I let us sit in silence for a few minutes afterwards, letting us all clear our heads before I moved on.

“There was another thing bothering me… it's a lot more important than my excuses for school.”

“What the hay could be more important than that?” Scootaloo asked, seeming nervous at such a possibility.

“Well… you see guys, vampires...” I was struggling to get the point out there, not knowing if they were ready to hear it. “I'm not going to get older. Ever.”

Apple Bloom sat up, looking at me with worry written all over her face. “What do you mean, you won't get older?”

“I mean, I'm not aging anymore. I'm never going to be any older than I am right now. Kinda glad that I got a little taller this last year… got all the important growing out of the way.”

Scootaloo gave me a skeptical glance. “You're still kinda short… just saying. I mean, none of us are ever gonna be Big Macintosh but it's not like you're hitting your horn on the clubhouse ceiling.”

I hung my head, grumbling. “Gee, thanks Scoots. Really building up my self-esteem there.”

Apple Bloom kicked Scootaloo's hoof, making sure she knew she'd messed up. “It's alright Belles, I don't mind your height none. You're perfect for me.”

I gave the farmhand a grateful smile. As long as I was good in Apple Bloom's eyes I didn't mind if I was on the short side. I stole my thoughts back to the topic at hoof.

“Anyways, I'll never age. That means when I'm as old as Granny Smith, I'll still look just like I do now. Sort of like how Celestia never looks any older or younger. It's like that. The problem on my mind is that you guys are still getting older.”

Apple Bloom understood, her eyes troubled as her thoughts turned to spiral into a whirlwind of existential doubt. Much like mine had. Scootaloo on the other hoof took a few minutes. The pegasus seemed to ponder my words for far too long before her reasoning skills kicked in. Only then did her eyes go wide.

“You mean even when we're dirt you're still going to look like that?!” Scootaloo practically shouted, causing me to wince at the volume.

“That's, uh, one way of putting it. Yeah.” I replied, rubbing my ear.

The pegasus seemed to be reacting the exact opposite of way of what I'd expected. She didn't seem saddened by the fact that I would outlive her. Instead she seemed legitimately angry at that idea. I tilted my head, confused at her behaviour. Even Apple Bloom looked at the livid filly with a hint of confusion. Seeing our faces, Scootaloo turned and walked over into the moonlight by the window before speaking, her voice full of fire and spite.

“I won't let you outlive me or Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle. All three of us, we belong together! We searched for our Cutie Marks as a team, and we found them together. Nothing stupid like time or some vampires are going to tear us apart. I don't care what I have to do, we'll be a team until the day after the end of time.”

I blinked at her, surprised by the way she was acting. I hadn't seen this side of Scootaloo in a long time. I hadn't once in my life seen her this determined or angry. She wasn't a very motivated filly… especially after she got her Cutie Mark. Now that time was standing between me, Apple Bloom and her, she seemed to be lighting a new fire in her heart.

“Well okay Scootaloo, but… what are we going to do? We don't have a lot of options…” I said, looking at my hooves. “I could make you both vampires. Then, who are we going to drink from? We would need two ponies to drink from, each.”

The pegasus shook her head. “There's got to be a different way. There are loads of things in the world that live for ages. Like dragons, and alicorns. There's no way that being vampires is the only thing we can do.”

“Scootaloo, what are you suggesting?” Apple Bloom asked, looking up at the filly.

“I think we should go looking for ways to live as long as Sweetie Belle will.”

“Scootaloo that could take months… years, a decade.” I said. “Ways to live forever aren't just laying around.”

“Maybe not, but we know ponies that would know things like that!” She exclaimed, pointing at the moon. “Think about it! AppleJack and Rarity know a princess, right? A princess who can live forever. Twilight Sparkle knows Celestia and Luna, and they've been around since… I don't even know! They've got to know some way to help us.”

“Maybe this isn't the best idea…” I said, scared of coming to Twilight with this when she was probably doing her best to fix my vampirism to begin with.

“I actually agree with Scootaloo.” Apple Bloom said, standing. “We should try and look for ways to stay with you for as long as we can. The one thing that I don't agree with is doing all that right now. Sure we're only losing time… but we still gotta finish school and such. Once that's done, we'll go lookin' for forever. Alright?”

The farmhand sat down next to me, wrapping her front hooves around me. I was caught off guard, blinking as she pulled me close and rested my head against her chest. I took a moment before I returned her hug. As I enjoyed her sweet smell she continued.

“Just give it all a bit of time, Sweetie Belle. Give us… ten years from when school ends. If none of us can find a way to keep on kickin'... then we'll let you turn us into vampires.”

I secretly admired the genius of the plan we'd just formulated. They had a whole year of school to finish. That was a long time, especially for me. It also gave Twilight a huge opportunity to figure out a cure for my vampirism. In ten years, both of my friends would still be in their prime. At the same time, it gave us tons of chances to go looking for a proverbial fountain of youth. I felt Apple Bloom's hoof in my mane, and let myself smile. Everything would be okay.

Scootaloo walked over to us, shaking her head. “You two have been acting all mushy since you became a vampire. Something I should know?”

“We just want to enjoy each other's company is all.” I said defensively, hugging Apple Bloom tighter.

The farmhand chuckled and planted a small kiss on my forehead. I looked off to the side, smiling along with her. I couldn't stay upset when she was there. Scootaloo sat down near us, yawning loudly. She seemed to be ready to sleep, and I didn't mind if she did. We had a plan, that was what mattered. I waited, sitting there in my best friend's embrace. Once the pegasus wasn't looking I leaned over, letting Apple Bloom fall beside me as we both collapsed onto our sides. I leaned in, pushing my lips to hers. She seemed a bit shocked at my bold actions, but after a moment she shut her eyes and leaned against me, releasing her held breath. The air smelled like apples and freshly tilled earth, so close to the other filly.

We stayed like that for almost a minute before I looked away, my face red beneath my snow white coat. The farmhand didn't seem flustered at all. I gave her a confused look. It had taken all of my bravery just to work up to kissing her on the lips, why didn't she look surprised at me? She saw my face and leaned close again, whispering.

“I knew you'd do it eventually… just wasn't counting on it bein' now.”

She smiled at me, giving me another, smaller kiss. I looked over at the windows and used my magic to close the shutters, not wanting to be burnt when morning came. I hung the curtains up from my position on the floor, not caring if it was perfect. It just had to be blocking the light. Once that was done Apple Bloom pulled me tight against her, kissing my horn before shutting her eyes. I let her move me however she wanted, enjoying her warmth. I felt like I belonged there more than anywhere else in the world. Not even my own bed at home could compare to the comfort of sleeping next to Apple Bloom. I pushed my cheek against her chest, and shut my eyes. Morning would come soon enough… but right then, I was in love.

Author's Note:

I may do a sequel to this fic if enough people enjoyed it. If you did, then please rate it up and/or comment to let me know! Thank you all a ton for supporting it so far, and I hope you all have an amazing night.

Comments ( 18 )

Heh , why am I not surprised that they are going to try to live forever to stay together ? :rainbowlaugh:
One thing surprising me however is the fact that they are going to try to keep it a secret.
I mean , it's Ponyville , they had worse !
They could simple say the truth while pretending that Sweetie can't turn anyone to prevend any immortality seeker from searching her for that.
It would at least be a whole lot simpler for Sweetie , because she then would be less isolated (because she could talk to the townfolk without her cover story getting in the way) , continue school and have more people to potentially feed from.
Yes , reactions from ponies are unpredictable , but that's the town that's home of 6 nationnal heroes (one being an immortal godlike figure) , a reformed god of chaos (and an ex-tyran who did a lot of damage) , a dragon and a reformed vicious time-traveler... I think they can handle a cute vampire filly :rainbowlaugh:

Cutie Mark Crusaders Necromancers! HOORAY! :rainbowlaugh:

Wait that's it?
But...what happens?
Does Twilight find a cure?
Do they end up all becoming vampires?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!?!?!?

7432241

Unfortunately I was pressed for time making this fic, so it had to be cut just a tad short. However if you would like me to write a sequel I would be more than happy to! I already have the plot outline somewhere on my desk. I just wanted to wait and see if anyone was interested in me going on with it, instead of perhaps going on to write something else.

7432356
Please sequel it. I love me some good vampire fics, but it's so hard to find good ones on the internet. So many of them are just super edgy shit, or twilight shit.
plz more

Aye, I'd really love to read a sequel. It's rare to find a vampire story that isn't just "omg, I have to hide from everyone while I turn into a rampaging monster with depression"

Pleas do write a sequel I loved this story.

Yes more, especially since this felt like it was left hanging a bit...

Heck yes I'd read a sequel. :twilightsmile:

SEQUEL! THE SEQUEL! NEED, THE SEQUEL, NNOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pinkiecrazy::moustache::yay::fluttershysad::rainbowderp:

This story still needs a reaction from Celestia. A sequel needs to happen for that reason alone. :trollestia:

That was a great read, not perfect but still a load of darkly cute fun. Think I'll jump right into the sequel.

I need more!
Continuation!
Another!
Moar!

Comment posted by Sleepysandman deleted Jan 24th, 2017

I am just curious, what is the romance tag for?

“You guys want to go to the clubhouse? I haven't been outside enough since Nightmare Night.”

Liar, you went to see Fakershy.

Scootaloo walked over to us, shaking her head. “You two have been acting all mushy since you became a vampire. Something I should know?”

Yeah you should knoe that the author is not good at romance.

She smiled at me, giving me another, smaller kiss. I looked over at the windows and used my magic to close the shutters, not wanting to be burnt when morning came. I hung the curtains up from my position on the floor, not caring if it was perfect. It just had to be blocking the light. Once that was done Apple Bloom pulled me tight against her, kissing my horn before shutting her eyes. I let her move me however she wanted, enjoying her warmth. I felt like I belonged there more than anywhere else in the world. Not even my own bed at home could compare to the comfort of sleeping next to Apple Bloom. I pushed my cheek against her chest, and shut my eyes. Morning would come soon enough… but right then, I was in love.

Blech.

Over all, it was... fine.

8099342
:rainbowlaugh:
comment necromancy yay

Login or register to comment