• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 462 Views, 16 Comments

Viral Outbreak 01: Code-name: Dust - riku4578



I am a virus. Simple as that sounds, it very quickly got much too complicated. If you would like to find out how, take a look at my life. My name is Dusty Woods.

  • ...
 16
 462

4: Getting Results

"Oh? What are you looking at there Xenath?" said Arnea, an Astral Lady looking over Xenath's shoulder, watching upon the same life.

"Hello Arnea, I'm just doing a few studies on this one's life. Now if you could please go find another shoulder to look over, I would be grateful." Xenath said, waving hand to shoo her away, yet still staring at the virus.

"Nah, This seems more interesting." She responded, his response staying silent.

Outside of Sugarcube Corner

"Friends ~pffft" He said to himself taking sip from his drink, Twilight unconscious beside him with her drugged cup spilt across the grass. "More like hindrances."

"I wonder..." He thought, looking around to see if anyone was near as he put his hand to Twilight's horn studying if their horns were the cause of the magic, and seeing if he could replicate it. "Ah! The answer is yes, wonderful!" he thought as he started to slowly replace some of the bones in his arms with the same material structure in unicorn's horns.

That is, until he was interrupted by another one of the 'Ponies'. This time it was a she that had purple hair, white fur and blouse, as well as staggering crystal blue eyes. Accompanied with her were two others, a cowgirl with jeans, a simple-very used white button up with rolled back sleeves, her hair tied back, emerald green eyes, and blonde with orange fur ;and a shy girl with long pink hair ending in a slight curl, a sky blue skirt, and a blank white t-shirt.

"Oh dear, Twilight fell asleep." The white one said frowning.

"That don't really sound like Twilight." Said the orange one

"It looked like she was drugged to me. That or the punch was spiked." Blue said looking at his cup. "Eh." He sounded while taking another sip.

"That does sound like something Pinkie might do." Muttered the yellow one, as low as a whisper.

"Doesn't bother me, I rarely get tipsy. Although, if this is something Pinkie does normally, I might have to watch out for her." he said, finishing off his drink.

"If what is something I do normally? Ohmygosh Twilight, are you okay? What happened?" Pinkie said.

"Looks like she was drugged then." Blue said looking out into the city.

"Well that's no fun." Pinkie said frowning.

"You girls can go have fun, I'll keep an eye on her." Blue said making a dismissive wave of his hand.

Even though they were looking suspiciously at him, they slowly dispersed away, finally giving him his much needed space. The rest of the night passed without many other events. He made sure to give twilight a stimulant to wake her back up, along with some water. He found her other friends and dropped her onto them, instead. As he was walking through the town, he walked over to an ally and laid down against a wall, drifting to a dreamless sleep.

After waking up 3 hours, 17 minutes, and 5 seconds later, his brain passively counting the seconds that had passed, he got up from the wall and walked out into the road looking at the newly approaching sunrise.

Today is the day I should find a proper place to sleep.” thought Blue. As he started to walk down the road, he felt a pain suddenly rack his new bones. “What the hell?!” he thought as his bones started to glow through his skin. Using his hunter-vision he tried locating Twilight, who was apparently within a tree.

Either way, I got this bone structure from her, maybe she knows something.” Blue tried reasoning, desperately hoping she could fix it. Trying to get a running start to his jump so he could glide properly, he tried running only to find himself going far too fast and subsequently tripping over his own feet. Tumbling forwards, he ended up crashing into Twilight’s front door.

Hearing movement within the tree in front of him, he quickly got back up just as the door opened revealing Twilight apparently having just woke up with a headache. “What is it?” she asked, groggily.

“What do you mean ‘What is it?’ I’m glowing! That’s what it is! Is there anything you can do to help?!” Blue asked, panicked and clearly enthralled with pain.

“Oh my Gosh! Come in, take a seat.” Twilight said, rushing him in and instantly casting a diagnostic spell. “Wow. Um. It seems that your bones are like a unicorn’s horn, and your body is just releasing the excess magic that’s not being stored within them. I’ve never seen anything like this!” she exclaimed in excitement over finding something new to study. Her headache disappearing for the moment.

“Twilight? Hey, Twilight, anyone home? Hello?” Blue said trying desperately to get Twilight’s attention. “Twilight!”

“Huh?” Twilight said, snapping out of whatever train of thought she was in. “Oh, right. You should be fine soon, although I would like to run some tests, if that’s ok with you.”

This actually might help to explain some of my powers if I ever need to.” he thought.

“Sure.” he said, tensing up and squeezing his body in pain, as she started to head downstairs hurriedly in anticipation.

“Great!” he heard as she had disappeared downstairs away from normal view. “Come downstairs! I have some things down here for you to try out!”

As he started to slowly and carefully descend into Twilight’s basement, he recognized a large chemistry set, a few machines he did not recognize, a small handle sticking out of a metal bar, and a chair with something that seems like it is supposed to fit on his head. As soon as Twilight had spotted him at the bottom of the stairs looking around, she turned, grabbed his hand, and lead him over to the chair.

“That looks like a little more than I was expecting.” said Blue, sitting down into the small chair. “I can fit this thing on myself.” he said, slowly putting the large half spherical piece of machinery on his head.

“Alright, let me just get it up and running.” Twilight said flipping some switches and levers, walking over to a computer screen afterwards.

“Starting scan of brain function and bone material.”

I wonder what she’ll think of my brain function.” thought Blue, sitting still and staring straight ahead with a smirk barely visible on his face.

“What is all this? It’s incredible!” shouted Twilight, staring at the paper, which was falling out of the machine.

“What’s incredible?” Blue asked innocently, pretending not to know quite well what she was talking about.

“Your brain should be melting or stopping or-or SOMETHING! A brain shouldn’t be able to handle all of this.” said Twilight, slowly calming down.

“So, is that good or bad?” Blue asked curious for her opinion.

“Well, it would allow for a lot more, although it could be dangerous, so I want you to check in with me on this every month. Ok?” Twilight said, both sternly and concerned.

“Alright, but you said earlier that you were also scanning my bones. What about those?” Blue asked, genuinely wondering if it could be bad.

“Right!” Twilight exclaimed, looking over to the other scans and examining them for a few minutes before saying questioningly “It seems that your bones are made of the same things a unicorn’s horn is made out of, as I said before. I can’t really say whether that is truly good or bad, though it would mean you have to use more magic.”

“Wait, can I use magic?!” Blue pretended to be excited though since he hasn’t tried yet, he was curious.

“I’m not sure, we can try though. I have some books that can teach you about casting basic spells.”

“Sure.” Blue said, getting up from the chair and taking off the machine. ”Lead the way.”

“It also seems that you're not glowing anymore by the way.”

Huh, it seems I’m not. I wonder what it was though.” Thought Blue while following her up the stairs.

As they had gotten up the stairs Twilight started looking for books on magic, while Blue started trying to look for books on history and science. When they had met back up at a small, round table made of oak, Twilight had been carrying 3 books while Blue carried about 12.

“What are all those for?” Twilight said genuinely confused.

“I’m not really from around here so I want to brush up on some things.” responded Blue.

“...Molecular Theorem. I’m not sure that’s really-” Twilight said but getting cut off by Blue.

“I majored in Bio-chemistry. I'm quite astute actually”

“Either way, Let's get working.” Twilight said, opening a book of magic for beginners.

"Photographic memory is extremely useful." Blue thought, having finished the books he had picked out for himself. "I do think I’ll need more resources though. I could use those changeling things, after all that hive mind ability could be very useful."

"How goes the reading?" Twilight asked, sitting down at the table with a book of her own and a cup of coffee that she set to her right.

"Just finished with what I had picked out, starting with what you recommended for me now." Blue responded, rapidly flipping through the book about magic for beginners.

“I recommend reading it instead of just flipping through.” Twilight said, with a teasing attitude.

“I have a photographic memory, I only need a glimpse of the page to remember whatever was on it.” Blue said while closing the book and picking up another to flip through.

“I wish I had that, it would make my research so much faster.”

So would knowing what atoms were.” Blue thought, being wildly surprised by the lack of basic chemical information presented in every book he has read so far.

“Twilight, do you know what molecules are?” Blue asked wondering if chemistry was ever discovered at all.

“Yes, although most people don’t. May I asked where you had heard of them? Currently the theorem of molecules isn’t so popular.” Twilight said, instantly curious.

“As I said, I’m not really from around here. I don’t really feel that I can say where I’ve heard of them just yet.” Blue responded, putting down the last book. “Moving on though, how would I go about casting my first spell?”

“Well-” Twilight tried to say but got interrupted by-

“Me!” said Pinkie Pie. (How did she interrupt me?!)

“Oh, it’s the one who threw me a party I didn’t want.” Blue said, holding out his hand and frustrated by all of the nothing that was happening with whatever magic he had.

“Don’t be rude. She only wanted to help you meet everyone and have a good time.” Twilight said defensively

“I-I’m s-sorry it wasn’t good enough. I swear I will try harder next time!” Pinkie said sadly, at first but then her face turned to that of determination. She then shoved Blue into a chair and bent over in front of him to ask, extremely seriously: “Now, what kind of parties do you like?”

“Not the one you threw me.” Blue said, straight-faced and serious.

“Well, obviously. I mean what about the other parties you’ve had? What did you enjoy about them?” Pinkie asked.

“I’ve never had a party other than that.” Blue said.

“......WHAT?! How could you not have ever had any other party? What about birthday parties? Or a school dance? Or a costume party? Or a housewarming party? Or a welcome party? Or a farewell party? HOW HAVE YOU NEVER HAD A PARTY?!” Pinkie questioned and screamed.

“I’ve constantly been on the move. Never really in the same place twice. Never really got to know anyone.” Blue said without emotion.

Pinkie almost in tears, she had managed to choke out: “ T-Then I’ll h-help you. Y-you’ll never be a-alone ag-gain.”

“Oh please,” Blue responded with contempt “don't pity me. I’ve gotten enough of that from other people.” Then pointing his hand forward and trying to focus his magic again as Pinkie broke down sobbing.

“If you are going to be rude in my library, I need to ask you to leave.” Twilight said with contempt, putting the books back on the shelf and looking away from him.

“Alright.” Blue responded and walked out of the library, leaving Pinkie crying on the floor and assumedly Twilight angry.

Now where should I go from here?” Blue thought, seeing the light-blue pegasus soaring through the sky. “I wonder if I can get her attention.

Comments ( 5 )

You updated it. Then cancelled it?

8477792
Ya weird ain't it?

Why was this cancelled?

This was an unfinished chapter someone convinced me to polish off. Still cancelled for now. Might be resumed later.

8490468
Lost inspiration. A lot of things I work on rely on passion of making it. Sometimes passion runs out and all thats left is a husk.

Login or register to comment