• Published 4th Jun 2016
  • 343 Views, 0 Comments

The Return of Nightmares - Downunda Thunda



It has been over 1000 years since Twilight's coronation. Now a new evil is threatening Equestria... or is it an old one?

  • ...
 0
 343

Chapter 2

After their encounter with Nightmare Moon, the two princesses were on edge. The Royal Guard had tripled in size in just a few days, and the patrols were doubled. The Night Guard was even increased with guards stationed every few hundred feet in the corridors around the clock. Twilight also began to spend most of her free time in the library, researching Nightmare Moon, trying to find any clue to the enigmatic Alicorn.

Twilight was just about to give up her search for answers, when she found exactly what she was looking for in a book that she was certain came from the Old Equestrian era, before her rule, which mentioned Luna. Twilight remembered Celestia mentioning that name in their encounter. Twilight was sure this wasn't just a coincidence, so she kept reading the book described two regal Alicorn sisters. Princess Celestia, who controlled the sun, and ruled over the day, and Princess Luna, who presided over the night.

After reading through the book several times more, Twilight was convinced that the Celestia that was described in it was the pony whom she had come to call “sister”. After a while, Twilight decided she would confront Celestia with this information, and see if she could provide more answers.

The next day, Twilight stood outside of Celestia’s door, and knocked lightly twice. “Sister? It’s me.” Twilight said. “May I come in? I believe that I have found something about Nightmare Moon that you might be interested in.”

“Of course, Twilight.” she heard her sister say from the other side of the door. With a sigh, Twilight pushed the door open, and entered the room.

“I found something in an old book,” Twilight said. “and it mentioned that name which you called Nightmare Moon. Luna. I just wanted to see if you might have more information.

Celestia looked up at the purple Alicorn and sighed. “Twilight…” She started. “This isn't something that I wanted to bring to light… particularly not under these circumstances. But, given the gravity of the situation, I suppose I should tell you. We aren't actually sisters. We're not even related. I adopted you as a sister… after you lost your memory.” Celestial paused to gauge Twilight's reaction to the news, before continuing. “About a thousand years ago, a few decades after your coronation, your friends began to… pass away.”

“Friends? Memory?” Twilight interrupted. “What does all this have to do with Nightmare Moon and Luna?”

“I understand that this is a lot to take in,” Celestia replied. “But please be patient. If you have any questions after I've finished, feel free to ask.”

Celestia continued to explain how Twilight was distraught after the loss of her friends, and she was unable to perform her duties as Princess. Celestia and Luna were worried about her, and so called a psychiatrist, but he offered no answers. The only option available to them was to completely erase Twilight's memory of her friends. But, even after their deaths, they were still connected to the Elements of Harmony. And the shapes she sees when she summons them are the embodiments of her friends.

Luna was the one tasked with removing the memories because of her experience in the subconscious and dreams. But something went wrong. Twilight not only lost her memory of her friends, but she lost her memory all together. Apparently, as Luna entered her mind, Twilight released an uncontrolled magic surge, which backfired onto Luna. Nopony saw exactly what happened, but Luna disappeared, and everypony assumed she was dead. Until Luna made Celestia remember her when they met a few days ago.

“But why do you think she's coming back now, Celestia?” Twilight asked. “If this accident happened a thousand years ago, why is Nightmare Moon only now resurfacing?”

“I’m not sure,” Celestia replied. “but, if this is indeed my sister returning, and she's become Nightmare Moon, I fear for what she might do to Equestria.” Celestia’s face became one of worry.

Celestia’s worry was far from unfounded, as the last time Luna was Nightmare Moon, she tried to cover Equestria in a blanket of eternal night. But this was for a simple grudge that Luna held against her sister, as Celestia was more loved than she was. But if she feels she’s been completely forgotten, there's no telling what she might do. After a long pause for thought, Celestia finally looked back up at the purple Alicorn before her.

“Twilight,” Celestia said. “I’m not going to lie. This may well be the biggest threat we have ever faced. I can't be certain if we can win against Nightmare Moon. The last time she faced the elements, she was only reverted back to her form as Luna. But, it is now clear, Luna was never completely cleansed of Nightmare Moon.”

Twilight looked somewhat stunned at all the information she has just been given. Information which her sister… no… Celestia was hiding from her, and had been hiding from her for centuries.

Author's Note:

Wow. This took longer than I thought to write. A mixture of procrastination, laziness and writer's block held this chapter up. But I eventually got it to a state where I felt comfortable with uploading it. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment