• Published 20th May 2016
  • 611 Views, 6 Comments

The Adventures of Captain Stallion - Captain_Stallion



The effort to remain good, after everything is the Challenge .f

  • ...
 6
 611

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The flight took Cadfael high over the country side. He had seen it a few times, but mostly looking for ponies in trouble, and mostly at night.

The lead Pegasus turned enough to yell a message to Cadfael. “Well, did you like the flight?”

Cadfael was all grins. “Yes, very much, thank you.”

The lead Pegasus smiled, and made a barrel-roll in the coach, and Cadfael held out his front legs. His only response a very loud. “Woo hoo!”

The mare flying smiled, and then checked the flags that had been placed to assist their landing.

The coach finally came in for the landing.

The coach dropped speed, and adjusted the angle of approach. They lightly touched down, and soon came to a stop underneath a huge banner of the two Princesses.

The ride to the palace had been fun, and the Pegasus were nice. Upon landing a messenger pony ran to meet them, and a letter was delivered to them. The lead Pegasus took and read it and, tucked it into a pocket.

The lead Pegasus came back to undo the harness that secured Cadfael in during the flight. They undid the remaining buckles, and in a few moments Cadfael stood on the landing pad and stretched his legs.

The Pegasus patted Cadfael's head. “You’re OK for an Earth pony, if you ever want to go flying again my name is Star Jumper.”

The other of the Pegasus made a comment to his partner. “Better hurry it up, we have big shots heading to the pad.”

The lead Pegasus looked Cadfael in the eye. “A couple of big shot ponies are coming down, but don’t worry about them. Just walk with them till the Princess gets you.”

Cadfael saluted the lead pony and responded. “Copy that.”

The lead Pegasus laughed, and she just roughed up his mane again, and gave him a smile.

The two Pegasus snapped to attention along with Cadfael between them. A group of very Fancy Dressed Unicorns and Pegasus came into the area. Salutes were given and returned.

The senior most office informed the Pegasus that had flew in that they were dismissed.

The group surrounded Cadfael and began marching off. Cadfael did his best to keep pace with the larger ponies. But while marching he kept falling out of step.

When finally they reached a waiting area where Princess Luna was already there for them. The area appeared to be some sort of aerodrome, and several airships were undergoing maintenance.

All the officers came to a stop, and bowed to the princess including Cadfael.

Luna returned the bow, and spoke with a nod. “Thank you, you may go!”

The officers stopped and turned, and marched off and out of the area.

Luna now smiled at Cadfael. “Rise and walk with me.”

They left the aerodrome and walked the palace. “I wish my sister to meet you!”

Cadfael was walked along with the princess, and he took notice that they were not heading directly to the palace.

The Princess, had decided to take the long trek around the palace grounds, and several areas not travel other than by palace staff.

As they walked they happen to pass by two maids. The servants bowed politely to the Princess and her guest, and moved on, but they did glance back and wondered who the colt was.

It was then that Princess Luna stopped and looked at Cadfael, and made a little chuckle as she shook her head gently

Princess Luna knelled down, and produced a wash cloth, and she liberally wiped Cadfael’s face she spoke with a little laughter in her voice. “Please tell me my dear Cadfael, how you can become dirty between the aerodrome, and now.”

Cadfael just held still, he realized that it must be an innate ability that ever mare had, of being able to produced damp wash cloths out of thin air.

As Princess Luna and her guest continued the two maids watched them, and now began to wonder who the colt could be. When the maids finally arrived at the main kitchen, rumors began to spread.

The Princess and Cadfael walked towards the great hall doors. the large doors began to open wide as they approached. The two guards one either side of the door standing stoically.

By the time Princess Luna had shown Cadfael much of the place. The Princess now heard his stomach beginning to growl.

She looked at him, and in a soft tone she spoke. “Cadfael, why did you not tell me you were hungry?'

Cadfael bowed. “I didn't want to interrupt you.” He kept his eyes down.

Luna spoke up. "We shall get you something to eat, and I will tell you of Eision."

Cadfael paused and she began her story.

"In ages past, ponies fought with the other beings of Equestria. It was a brutal time, and even my sister and I even though we were both taught by Starswirl himself, both of us were hard pressed."

Luna looked as if she knew where she was going even though she kept her focus on Cadfael.

"Once our Ponies fought a desperate battle against near impossible odds, and we feared for them. But by the time that Celestia and I arrived at the site, we had seen out brave ponies had defeated an army almost twice their own."

Cadfael now looked a Princess Luna, and he could feel the pain and sorrow she was feeling.

Luna short pause, but then took her gaze away from the colt to start again.

"The field was covered in blood of both armies, and it was then that I heard a small cry. I didn't know other than it was the cry of a foal. Both my sister and I looked for the cry, but I felt it was calling to me."

"After a moment, I found the small foal, wrapped in a cloth and washed by the blood around it. I didn't know if it had been the foal of the general's mare who acompanied the troops, or the foal of a common camp follower."

Luna stopped, and wiped an eye, but then when she saw how intently the colt was watching her, retook her regal pose and continued the story.

"But in truth it didn't matter, I now saw how he looked upon me, and I told Celestia that this was my son, and until my banishment he was my loyal child."

The princess just stood there for a moment. But finally she spoke again. "We have much to see before the meeting with my sister, and we should rest and eat before continuing."

The Princess Luna and Cadfael paused in a small room, and the staff brought them something to eat before the meeting with Celestia. After lunch the pair continued their tour of the Palace ground late into the afternoon.

The last part of Lunas tour brought him through the living area the chambers where the Princess met and discussed the business of the day.

As Cadfael entered the chamber he noted the white walls, and the gold trim everywhere. The large wide windows letting light in.

He now began to feel more than a little nervous, and for a lack of cover he hid behind Princess Luna.

Celestia had been waiting to meet Luna's little friend, but she didn't see him at first. Then she just caught a glimpse of him as he peeked from behind Luna, and she knew he was trying to avoid her eye. She only smiled and commented. “It appears this champion prefers my sister!”

Luna glanced behind herself, and she seemed a little surprised. “Cadfael do not be afraid, my sister is the gentlest of ponies!”

Cadfael now came out from behind Luna, and bowed to Princess Celestia. “I am sorry.”

Celestia still smiling gave him a little nod. “Do not worry little pony, your manners are far better than many of our nobles!” She patted a pillow at her side.”

Cadfael took a step closer, but then stopped in his movement.

Celestia seemed a little surprised, and called him again. “Please come sit by me.”

Cadfael showed some reluctance, and after a moment spoke up. “May I please sit with Princess Luna?”

Celestia nodded, and then gestured as if wiping a tear from her eyes. And then replied in a sad tone as if she was going to cry. “I'm fine with that.”

Cadfael's eyes went wide. He bowed, touching the face to the floor. “I'm so sorry your highness, please forgive me.” At which point he went directly to her and sat down.

Luna scowled. “Celestia was always teasing ponies.”

She normally saved that for nobles, but she mouthed. “I'm sorry Luna.”

Luna was still clearly upset. And walking to her own pillows and laying down. “You just had to get your way.” Replied Luna, not bothering to cover up the words.

Celestia just smiled and nodded back at her sister.

Cadfael had done what the princess bid, he was very concerned. There were told stories of her burning bad ponies to cinders. But she only gently put her wing over him. “Come tell my sister, and I of yourself!”

Cadfael looked at her. She had beautiful violet eyes, much like Princess Twilight. He thought for a moment. “I'm just Cadfael, a no pony.”

Celestia raised her head. “A no pony, I find that hard to believe, and not after what you did for my sister.”

Luna asked him. “But what did your parents do for a living.”

Cadfael's reply was given rather sheepishly. “I don't know?”

Celestia now inquired. “OK, can you tell me what were your parents’ names were.”

Now he was becoming very fearful in his voice. “I'm sorry, but I don't know?”

The Princesses knew the questions about his past were causing him a great deal of distress, and so they took it upon themselves to go much slower.

Celestia now offered him a piece of chocolate. He found it a little easier to talk to them as a whole, but it still hurt.

They took their time asking questions, but finally, they had to leave to lower the sun and raise the moon. Cadfael was invited to accompany them. Although while the ceremony was short, and only a few guards were there. Cadfael was awed by the power of both Princesses.

Upon their return to the chamber, Cadfael walked to Princess Luna who saw that he desired to sit next to her, and so she raised her wing and allowed him to lay down beside her.

Celestia saw this and sat back down on her pillows, she now offered a piece of chocolate to Cadfael if he would come to her. Cadfael just looked at Princess Luna then turn his gaze to Celestia, and in a timid voice asked. “May I please stay here beside Princess Luna.”

Celestia in a sweet tone spoke again. “But I have chocolate...”

He shook his head no. “I'm sorry, but no thank you.” Cadfael was now expecting to be returned to the Diamond Dogs, and left in that tunnel again.

Luna now smirked at her sister. “It appears my champion cannot be bought.”

Celestia just sat on her pillow somewhat in awe, and then looked at the piece of chocolate she had offered to Cadfael just moments before. She had never had to fight for attention around her sister, it had always been given readily enough, but this little one. She was impressed by this little colt, and she then moved the chocolates by Luna.

The time passes quickly, and the two Princesses began to know this young colt better.

Cadfael told them almost everything, but it had been a busy day. He had fallen asleep earlier an hour at best right after Luna had allowed him to lay by her when they came back into the chamber. He still rested by her, and the two Princesses continued their business of the day.

Cadfael was now smiling as he rested by Luna, and her wing gently draped over him.

Luna gave her Celestia another scowl. “Sister you have teased the noblest of colts, and I now cannot trust you. I shall be solely in charge of dealing with Cadfael.” She then nuzzled the young colt. “I would like to make him a ward, under my protection.”

Luna now looked at the colt. “He is a noble heart, and if our guess is correct, of an old bloodline as well.”

Celestia just looked at him and smiled while he rested next to Luna. “This sturdy Earth colt loves you as much as he would have loved his own Mother.”

Celestia called the chamber guard over. “Would you take our guest to a room, and please be gentle!”

The Royal Guard bowed and took the sleeping Cadfael, and after talking to a maid, the royal guard took him down several halls. The staff had cleaned a room earlier in anticipation of the little visitor. The Royal Guard entered the darkroom, and put Cadfael on a soft bed, and covered him up!

The Royal Guard having heard Cadfael's story turned and before leaving said. “Goodnight little colt, I have a feeling you'll make an excellent Royal Guard.”

The guard then turned off the light and closed the door, and for the moment all was dark.

The royal guard returned to the chamber hall and bowing. “Your Highness, the young colt has been put to bed!”

Celestia. “Thank you for doing that for us.”

The Royal Guard just smiled. “It was no problem, your highness, I have two daughters near his age.”

The Royal guard returned to his station by the door.

Luna lamented. “I feel so bad for leaving Cadfael so long before returning for him.”

Celestia looking at piles of letters on her desk. It took us far longer than expected to deal with the Diamond Dogs.” She now went to the table. “We have received much support for your actions my sister of that night, and over thirty ponies from different areas were rescued.”

Luna looked at the map on the table, little figures of Royal Guards and little banners littered its surface. “We will have to move a detachment of Royal Guards to make sure there are no more violations of our borders.” She picked up one of the Royal Guard pieces. ” We will need a raise in taxes, or moving of garrisoned forces.”

Celestia now commented. “Yes, and we have not received the tribute yet, but the capture of Griselda’s staff was no small feat.”

Celestia now read several notes from Luna. But now this mysterious Stallion”, Celestia now yawned. “Forgive my bad manners, Luna.”

“Please get some rest, my sister, the day will be here soon enough!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Luna made arrangements for Cadfael to be fitted with clothing and brought in a private tutor to begin his school studies. His tutor a Ms. Vellum was not the nicest teacher he could have had, but Cadfael paid attention to everything she said and was never late with an assignment. In fact, she began to bring in other things for Cadfael to do, one of which was drawing and lots and lots of paper.

Cadfael had to see the doctor several times While in the palace. He was underweight when he first arrived, but he was actually better than he was when he first came to the Apple farm.

On one visit to the doctor a small sample of his mane, hove, and skin were taken. Cadfael didn't ask why. He didn't understand but figured there was a reason.

The white unicorn that took them and placed them in a briefcase just smiled at Cadfael. He wasn't a Royal Guard or a Wonderbolt, but Cadfael got the feeling he worked for the Princess.

He was a little bothered when he discovered where the milk was coming from that he took with his meals, but the Princess said it was his duty to eat everything of his plate and to finish his milk. Because he didn't want to hurt the mares feeling, did he?

He took almost all of his meals in the hall with the other young ponies, students of the gifted School for Unicorns. He had made a lot of friends, but there were those who treated him poorly and though most were friendly enough, a few found out his history, and made friends with him just because they figured he would have station later in life.

Magic studies were not required for Cadfael being an Earth pony, but he attended many of the classes. A few had claimed they had seen him do things from time to time, but that was out of the question with him being an Earth pony. He then discovered he had limited resistance to magic, while awake he could not be lifted or moved by levitation unless he allowed it, or he was sleeping.

While at the palace of Canterlot, Cadfael had to become Captain Stallion on three different occasions. Once to deal with a missing foal, a poor mare that had lost her own foal, and once to detour a flight of Dragons around Equestria, they had only been young dragons and were easily dealt with, and the last to clear a tunnel that had collapsed, but he had to make it a point to quickly disappear before Princess Luna was able to rally her Personal guards and confront him.

Time in the palace passed slowly for Cadfael, while his needs were taken care of and he got to go to school. He made friends of some of the nobles’ colts and fillies, but still, he had less than he had to do while at the Apple Farm. And so often he would have wandered the hallways, and looked out of the great windows at the valley below, and think to himself. “Somewhere down there was Sweet Apple Acres.” Most of the time he really wished he was there.

But one of his pleasures was being allowed to visit the royal garden without escort whenever he felt the need. The feeling of earth under is hooves always seemed to pick up his spirits. And more than once the Palace guards had found him asleep on the bare earth in the Royal garden.

But as pleasant as the palace was, it was not the ideal place for an Earth pony.

One afternoon he looked out the window, the Pegasus had caused a gentle rain that afternoon, and some of the valleys were covered by a slight fog still.

But a soft voice from behind him spoke. “Hi, I'm Golden Shield.” and then asked if he wanted to play. Cadfael finally turned to see golden orange and yellow unicorn colt with a board game in his saddlebag.

Cadfael turned back around and continued to look out the window, he appeared to almost have been crying. “I guess.” Replied Cadfael.

The young unicorn colt tilled his head wondering if this colt was sick, or hurt. “Are you OK?” His tone sounded like he was really a concern.

“I guess.” Was Cadfael's response. “I just miss my family.”

The unicorn colt figured it was he was homesick. ” Me too.” Now with Golden now turning his gaze outside as well. “My family sent me here to study magic in the Princess’s school.”

This statement caught his attention. “Wow”, Cadfael knew only the best were usually were allowed into Celestia's school for Magic. “you must be really good.”

Golden Armor just rolled his eyes. “Not really, but my family is important enough to get me accepted.”

Golden then asked of Cadfael.” “What does your family do.”

Cadfael was about said their farmers, but he caught himself. “Nothing, I don't have a family.” He then turned around facing the window, and the little unicorn colt finally knew who he was.

Golden pointed a hove at him. “Wow, you’re the colt who is going to be the Princess’s ward; lucky colt.”

Cadfael nodded and just looked back out the window. “Yes, I'm very lucky.”

Golden seemed a little taken back by his tone. “Don't you like the Princess?”

Cadfael spun around, took a step towards him, and gave the unicorn a little glare. “I love the princess.” He had an angry tone in his voice...

The glass in the window shook, and a movement in the walls and floor could be felt, almost to the point of breaking.

Golden took a few steps back, thinking he may have said the wrong thing. “Listen I'm sorry, I'm a supporter of Princess Luna as well.”

The windows and walls calmed and were still again.

Cadfael now turned to face the window again, and placed his forehead on the glass, and closed his eyes. “I'm sorry, I've been having a bad day.”

A voice could be heard from behind. “Cadfael could you give me a moment of your time.”

Princess Celestia stood before the two young colts, and both Colts bowed.

“Hello, Golden Shield, would you mind if I borrowed your friend, I need to ask him something.” She smiled and whispered into Golden's ear. “It's a matter of military business.”

Golden Bowed, and retreated from the areas. “I'll be in the study hall if you want to play later.” He called out before turning the corner.

Celestia smiled. “I do believe your importance has been increased tenfold in his eyes.”

Cadfael chuckled, he knew Princess Celestia had a wicked sense of humor and had made many a noble the brunt of her jokes.

Celestia looked Cadfael directly in the eyes. “What bothers you Cadfael, are you not happy.”

He now lowered his head. “Yes, my Princess, I have everything a colt could ask for in life.”

Celestia looked at the colt, she knew what was bothering him, but wanted the colt to speak his mind. “Only what?” she looked knowingly at him.

Cadfael drew in a deep breath and began to speak. “I miss the Apple Family and Sweet Apple Acres.” He paused a moment. “Will, I ever get to go back?”

She looked at him. “I would grant it, but your Luna's ward and she has promised to protect and provide for you.”

The little colt just sighed. “I'm not even sure...”

Celestia looked at Cadfael and put a little scowl on her face. “Are you doubting yourself.”

He nodded yes.

Celestia now took on an even more serious look and slightly raised her wings. “Well you shouldn't, what you did was very brave."

Cadfael now bowed again to the Princess. “Your highness.”

Celestia looked intensely at Cadfael. “Now I think, it's time for tea, would you come with me?”

“Yes. Your highness, thank you.”

Cadfael had a very worried look when he entered the chamber in which they had their tea.

Celestia entered the chamber and greeted her sister. Luna was there already chatting with Ms. Vellum.

Luna had not answered Celestia but turned her attention towards Cadfael. “Dear Cadfael, I thought you didn't like having tea with us." She smiled as finished talking to the other pony. “That will be all Ms. Vellum.”

Cadfael bowed, mentally going through lists of replies he had been taught by Ms. Vellum over the last few weeks. “Anytime with the Princesses is to be cherished.”

Luna smiled in response. Ms. Vellum had been tutoring Cadfael in proper and polite manners while in the palace.

Ms. Vellum just smiled at Cadfael and messed up his mane. “What a wonderful Colt, would Princess Celestia like to see his progress.” She hoofed a paper over to her, all the letters were well-formed, better in fact than some adults and the paper looked like it had been written by a pony with much more schooling than Cadfael.

He reached into his saddlebag, would you like my homework, I already did it, he hooved it to her, and she gave him a little hug.

Celestia was amazed, Ms. Vellum normally complained about the students under her, calling them slackers and lazy, but Cadfael just got a hug. Ms. Vellum was normally very brassy, and she never allowed a pony's station to shield them from her wrath, heck she even corrected Celestia’s spelling.

Luna smiled. “This my sister is a noble heart.”

Celestia added her own two bits, “I think he is the pure heart.”

Luna was silenced for a moment and put her hoof to her chin. “That would have explained much my sister.”

Luna placed several reports on the table, “Ms. Vellum has informed me in a matter of six weeks. My young ward has made leaps and bounds in his studies, both Princesses turned and smiled at Cadfael.

Cadfael was coming along in all his lessons. He remembered Ms. Vellum had informed him to praise the Princess at all times. “What I do, I do honor my princess.”

Celestia chimed in. “No, you should do it because it's what you want to do.”

Luna took on a stern look towards Celestia. “Sister he wishes to honor us, let him.”

Celestia asked if Cadfael would mind looking for his friend Golden Shield, she reminded him where he could be found. Cadfael bowed and left.

Luna looked at her sister. “What troubles you so, I have been nothing but kind to Cadfael.”

“True, and if asked there is nothing he would not do you for you. Yet he still thinks of his home and the family he left behind. He is a good pony and will be an exceptional stallion someday. Yet he is still young, and I believe to allow him to reach that level he has to be let go of.”

Luna made a scowl, “I will not abandon him.”

“Agreed, we will not, we will provide him a chance to become what he wishes to become.” The princes paused. “I see him becoming a champion one day.”

Celestia now placed several bundles of letters on the table, one after another till the corner of the table had a small pile.

“These are from the Apple family from all across Equestria, and even from the elements, including Twilight, all of them feel he would do well to be given a home and parents. Did you know he considers the little filly he brought out of the tunnels as his sister? And while in captivity he uses to give her most of his food. Hiding her when she was hurt so the dogs would not use her as fodder.”

Luna was teary-eyed. “Could he stay till after the summer sun celebration that is less than two weeks away.”

“Maybe, you should ask if he would like to stay or leave, it would be the best thing, and just sending him away, would make him feel he was being cast away.”

Luna wiped her eyes. “Let me talk to him, and ask him what he wants.”

Celestia now smiled. “A very wise Idea, and there is no reason it was to be made in haste.” She paused a moment before speaking. “I am very glad to hear it, and I did something without your permission, but I feel you may be glad of what I did.”

A knock on the chamber door and a tall white unicorn stallion entered the room, approached, bowing to both princesses.

He pulled an envelope from his jacket and offered it to Celestia.

Celestia shook her head no. Then turn her look to her sister. “I believe that Princess Luna would want to see it.”

The stallion bowed and offered the envelope to Princess Luna.

She took the envelope and opened it, she pulled several sheets of paper from them. After she had finished she embraced her sister, and the stallion as well, he just smiled and gave her a little bow.

Luna then spoke. “So Cadfael is the descendant of my Eision, he is my family.”

The unicorn cleared his throat, and Celestia now began to speak. “This is the problem Luna, if he goes he will no longer be under our protection, have you thought of those who would think of using him as a tool.”

Luna now had a lot of fear in her face. “He would be in danger from the disapproving nobility.”

The tall unicorn now spoke out, “Already rumors of the colts’ possible relation to you circulate in the palace and Canterlot.

Celestia now looked at the unicorn. “My lord Fancy-Pants, what would you do to curb this?”

He now began to speak in a soft tone. “There are Ponies already placed, loyal to your highnesses and me alone.” He picked up a royal guard pony marker from the table. “For now, we will begin a campaign that the rumors are just that, I will place this file, it will appear to be the step colt of a Royal guard that perished, and for his loyalty, you set off to rescue his colt.”

The white unicorn placed a thick folder on the table's edge before speaking again. “I have photos and witnesses. That will testify to these facts.”

Luna was not happy, and she became quite vocal on the matter. “This colt is my Grand-foal, I can protect him.”

Celestia lowered her head. “Luna, we talked of this, to be the stallion he is fated to be he needs to be to grow and make his own decisions.”

Luna looked at her sister then to Fancy-Pants.

But Fancy-Pants now raise a hove, a slight smile was on his face as he began to speak. “I have an idea that could make it so you could have the colt visit in safety.” He moved a few pieces on the table as if showing his idea to the princesses. “For his service, both Father and colt, you have made him a member of your court.” He looked at them both. “No one would move against him or try to use him as a pawn, there is just not enough to be gained from it.”

Luna agreed but did not appear to be happy with the idea. “Bring us parchment and quill, I will draw up the papers myself, with my lawyer and counsel.”



Cadfael had found Golden Shield, and they had been playing the board game. Several of the unicorns would have nothing to do with Cadfael for being an earth pony, but he didn't care Golden was a nice colt.

They chatted as they played the game. Golden Shield was hoping to go home and visit his big sister, and have some fun this summer. “She is an artist, and got her cutey mark a couple of years ago, she went to this school as well.”

A herald’s voice announced the arrival of the Princess of the Night, and she entered with no escort. She walked towards Cadfael and saw the others keeping their distance from him. Luna could feel rage in herself, treating her Grand-Colt in such a fashion. The glare that Luna had given several of the colts and fillies caused a moment of terror, but she halted this, and now thought she would use a trick of her sister. The Princess walked up to Cadfael and spoke to him. “I have need of your council; would you walk with me?”

Cadfael bowed and replied. “yes, your Highness.”

He turned for a moment and spoke to Golden. He knew this was a joke, but figured it would be fun to see reactions. “Sorry, duty calls.” He then turned and walked out with the Princess.

As Cadfael left with Princess Luna several of the ponies that head felt her anger now came back out of hiding. A unicorn filly came up to Golden. “Did she say she wanted to have his council.”

“Yes, and earlier Princess Celestia asked him a question of military matters.”

The little filly watch Cadfael and the Princess left. “Wow, I should treat him better if I want a place in court later on.” Replied the filly, and most of the others nodded in agreement.

As the Princess and the colt walked down the hallways towards the barracks and armory, Luna had not asked many questions on how his day had gone she would have normally.

They strode upon the great walkway, and not spoken until they went by a large window that had an excellent view of the valley and lands below.

Cadfael slowed and looked out the window, and Luna stopped and looked also.

“What are you looking for Young Cadfael?”

“I was looking to see if I could see Ponyville, but I guess it's too far away.”

Luna now replied. “No, it's at the very edge, tonight I'll show you properly, but first we have a mission.”

Now, this intrigued Cadfael, what could he do for the Princess.

With the assistance of two young Royal Guards in the Armory and a spell from Luna, Cadfael found himself in a suit of armor. He thought it was rather silly, but Luna insisted it. One of the Royal Guards had found a small cone-shaped horn, which her herald could use. The horn bore both a sun and a crescent moon and had a chain so it could hang from his neck or armor.

Cadfael walks beside Princess Luna a little taller.

She smiled at him and straightened his helmet and sash. “You’re now a member of my personal guard. For even if you leave the palace, you'll have to take your armor, and stand ready to serve me if need be.”

Cadfael stopped, his eyes went wide and his voice just short of cracking replied. “Does the Princess want me to go?”

Luna realized now how close to the edge she was. She quickly turned and bent down to his level. “No, I want you to do what you want to do, and you may stay here with me as long as you like.”

Cadfael bowed. “Thank you, Princess.”

She stood and they began to walk down the hallway once again, and she was carefully picking her words. “It just maybe you would like to visit your friends in Ponyville.” she turned and saw him smiling.

“Yes please”, he replied

“So, after the Summer solstice celebration, you may want to go back to Ponyville.” Princess Luna bumped her hove against the floor.”

“What is the problem Princess.” Ask Cadfael, you look sad.” Cadfael appeared more than a little concerned.”

The Princess smiled again. “No, I just do not wish to lose you as my close friend, even if you are not my son's heir.”

Cadfael's reply was. “Never, I would give my life for my princess.” Then Cadfael again bowed to Luna.”

She bent over and embraced him. “I know this already, but I want you to be happy, and I am so busy, and so maybe it would be best if you could visit me every so often, and I would make time to visit you as well.”

She now looked in his eyes and remembered the eyes of her son. “If you ever feel you want to come back and stay with me. I will have a room kept for you. But now it is time to raise the moon, shall we go, I normally have an escort.”

Cadfael marched by the Princess and thinking to herself. “I dare my sister to find one as loyal as my Cadfael.”

The Princess called that a room near hers, be kept clean and set aside for her Herald of her personal guard.

The night went well, after the raising of the moon, they went to one of the taller towers, and she brought her telescope out and she sat it up. They looked at Ponyville. At first, it was a shaky mass of lights. But buildings came into sight, and he could make out a few shapes.

Afterward, they talked until it was well past his bedtime, but he was to retire he then asked a question. “Princess, may I give you a gift?

Luna smiled. “Well, I see nothing wrong with that, have you made a piece of art for me in Ms. Vellum class.”

Cadfael smiled and reached into his saddlebags. “No, I have a jar of Zap Apple Jam, and I would like to give it to you.” He lifted the jar, and its rainbow colors caught her eyes.

Now the Princess did not eat sweets as much as her sister, but this was one of her favorites.

She finally spoke, knowing this was a tie to the Apple family. “Cadfael, are you sure you wish to give me this?

Cadfael shook his head vigorously, and Luna half expected to hear a rattling as he did so.

She smiled back. “Thank you.”

She just stood holding the jam, as wonderful as the flavor was, it would be more fun to tease Tia with it.

Again, she took on her matronly tone. “But If you expect to lower my banner with me you best get some rest.”

She walked him to his room, and he got ready for bed. She carefully hung up his uniform and placed the used clothing in the small hamper. He then climbed into bed, and she then tucked him in. “Goodnight Cadfael, we will see you in the morning, and maybe in your dreams as well.”

Cadfael smiled. “Yes, my princess.”

Luna was feeling good and had decided to play a little game with Celestia.

She stopped by the kitchens, and found a loaf of soft bread, and then walked to her sister's chambers.

Luna knocked upon the door, and in a pleasant tone. “Hello sister, may I come in?”

The door opened, and a clear voice could be heard. “Of course, my Luna, I was just going over the costs for the last month.”

Luna opened the jar, and softly blew across the top of the jam jar, and allowed the smell to be easily be smelt in the room, she then tore off a piece of the bread and spread a little jam across the bread.

Celestia now stopped talking, her eyes went wide and she looked up and took in the sweet smell of the Zap Apple jam. She saw Luna nibbling on a piece of bread and had to ask. “What are you eating?”

Luna smiled. “Oh, this.” She allowed a little surprise to enter her voice. “It was a gift from Cadfael, and it's very good too.”

Now it was a well-known fact that Celestia loved her sweets, and she licked her lips. “May I have a little, there was none to be found in the market this week.”

Luna nodded and now relaxed. “I know.” She then spread a little more helping of the jam onto the piece of bread, and after taking a bite spoke even though her she had food in her mouth, even though she knew it was bad manners. “It's really good, in fact, it’s some of the best I've ever tasted.”

The royal guard on duty, watched as Celestia come closer and closer. She appeared to be a stalking animal after prey.

She finally spoke after almost a minute of just looking at Luna. “Just a little taste sister.”

Luna smiled back and dabbing her mouth of the excess jam. “Let me think about it,” replied Luna as she took another bite of the jam covered bread.

Now in a tone that surprised both Luna and the Royal guard in the room as Celestia spoke up. “I want some of that Lu Lu.” The tone of her sister’s voice and the fixed eyes caused Luna a little worry.

Luna was really enjoying her joke. “It's a little jar.” Replied Luna. “But I'll give you the rest for...”

Celestia’s reply was quick. “What do you want Luna, name it.” Celestia's face had changed, she was not smiling.

Luna had not meant to start laughing, but she had. “You’re making a Star Swirl face.”

At the peak of Celestia’s rage, Luna finally gave a slice of the bread to Celestia. It was thick with the jam, and Celestia seemed to almost melt as she ate the bread and jam. “Thank you, Luna.”

The Royal Guard on duty just thought to himself. “Fourteen months, just fourteen months till you can collect your pension.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

After the rising of the sun, Luna sat waiting for her sister, Luna was very quiet.

Celestia asked without looking at Luna. “I take it you told him that he had to go, and is there any more of that Zap Apple jam?”

“No, and no!” Luna paused for a moment, she saw no humor in her sister’s joke. “I told him he should go and visit and could always come back, and I would keep a room for him. I have also kept the secret even from him.”

Celestia sighed. “He is a pleasure to have around, because he is kind and smart, much like the Black Anvil himself.”

“Yes, he does have some of his qualities. But do you no longer believe in fate?”

Celestia looked at her sister, who was now blushing. ” Luna no.”

Luna paused a moment before speaking again. “I was just thinking of a future for him.”

Celestia now took a dominating tone. “Any future he has, he will make for himself.”

Luna now smiled. “Well, I would place my little Cadfael's heart against the bravest of Royal Guards.”

Celestia gave Luna a smile. Then spoke. “None, your champion is the bravest pony, but if he goes shortly after the summer solstice celebration we have to make plans.”

Celestia paced the chamber floor. “I will grant a pardon to his first sire, so when his identity becomes known nothing of that matter can be used against him at a later date.

Celestia now smiled. "But I think a grant of lands is in order for his valiant actions for his Princess.”

A soft voice from the side now could be heard.

“I think you should make a trust for him, so his education is assured, and he would not have to worry about funds. Plus, it would hardly be noticed, keep him on the pay roster it's only twenty-five bits a week and the monies could be place aside for him.”

Celestia smiled at the sight of her niece. “That is an excellent idea.”

Cadence giving her usual all-knowing smirk. “Besides he's so cute in that little suit of armor.” Cadence now seated herself between Celestia and Luna. “Did you get that for him, auntie.”

Luna now smiled. “Yes I did, and he is.” She held her head as high as any proud mother of an exceptional colt could.

Now Celestia rolled her eyes before looking at her sister. “And what do you plan on giving him?" She now took a drink of her tea.

Luna had just taken, a drink her own tea. “I plan on giving him the Luna Crescent Moon.”

Celestia almost lost the tea had just sipped.

“Something wrong sister?” Luna calmly asked.

With single brow raised in question Celestia spoke. “Seriously sister, that is a military honor that has not been awarded in a thousand years.”

Luna now cleared her throat and started giving out the rules for such an award. “Well the pony receiving that award must have offered his life for one of us, and he did.” She now took a sip of her tea and glared. “And I won't yield from this point.”

Celestia took another drink of her tea and nodded. “OK, you may have your way, but you are not to block any of my promotions for the rest of the year.”

“Agreed.” Luna nodded

Candice smiled and appeared to be breathing again after the exchange between Celestia and Luna. “I should get Shining involved, he could prove useful.”

Celestia began making a checklist. “Luna, would you get the royal scribe to visit us tonight, there is much to do.”

During the Summer sun solace, many awards were given to common ponies for having served the crown, and Equestrian.

The scribe an older pony was the husband of Ms. Vellum, and who’s talented as an artist and calligrapher were know of across the land. All three-princess hung over him, giving little ideas and chatting about what they would say.

The poor scribe finally asked if they wanted a good job to write down what is to be said, and he would illuminate the scroll, but if they would just give him a little room. The scribe shook his head and thought to himself. “Just a bunch of old mares.”

Cadence brought Cadfael's commission paperwork to Shining Armor. He read through it. He raised his head. “Cadence what is this, I don't feel comfortable in signing this and pulling my seal to it.”

“Come on Dear, it's for a little colt.”

Shining Armor thought for a moment. “No I can't do it, I have a level of decorum to maintain. I don't believe in giving Military Honors to some noble’s colt for no reason at all.”

His wife looked at him and grinned. “I figured you would feel this way, so I brought this as well for you to read.”

Shining Armor opened a field report made while in service to Princess Luna and began reading it out loud. While on Patrol encounter a pack of Diamond Dogs, and while outnumbered, we managed to hold and drive then off. During this operation, several captives were rescued. It appears just before our appearance one of the colts brought close to a dozen ponies out from the tunnels. Then during the confusion, he got them to safety and afterward ran to aid the Princess. During which he alerted the Princess and her officers to an ambush, and the same colt, not only warned the princess of the attack, but he dove upon the enemy without a weapon, or armor knocking the leader to the ground and drove off the attackers.

An additional entry now followed. “The colt listed from above now appeared to be mortally wounded, Princess Luna had then ordered us to fall back and take the rescued ponies with us, in this officer's opinion...”

There was more in the report, but Shining Armor got up from the chair he was resting in and went to his desk. He selected a sharp quill and signed the paper. He then lit a candle and placed his seal upon it.

Cadence now stepped forward and gave him a kiss to the back of his neck. She then took up the scroll. She informed him that Luna said she would set her seal to it. She gave shining Armor a letter from Princess Twilight asking a favor.

Luna had Cadfael added to the payroll, the low cost was easy enough, and it be placed in a trust to be given after he had reached his majority, or when he would go to secondary school.

Cloudy a young colt from the young nobles officer program was sent over to assist Cadfael, helping him learn how to polished his armor up, and showed how to do up the buckles.

Cadfael's friend Golden Shield was really excited asked if he could be part of the awarding Cadfael his metal. Shining Armor told Golden Shield he could carry his banner if he liked, and the young colt jumped at the chance.

The morning ceremony of the rising sun went well, and Cadfael felt very important for his part. Later after the rising of the sun, he marched with her personal guard and heralded her approach.

He took lunch with Luna's personal guard. He was nerves were on edge, to say the least, but they received him well and he received a gift of a fancy sash for his uniform.

Shining Armor knew he had to get Cadfael and Golden Shield ready as soon as possible. A banner that Golden Shield would carry had been given as a gift, and it was set up so that Golden Shield would not have too much of a problem with it.

Cadfael was wondering who this was that was being so helpful to him. Finally building up the nerve he asked Shining Armor why he was helping him.

Shining Armor then reached into a pocket and pulled out a letter with a royal seal. “This is from Princess Twilight Sparkle, she asked me to personally look after you as her B.B.B.F.F. That means I'm her Big Brother best friend forever.”

Cadfael's eyes grew big. “Wow, a real prince!" And he bowed.

Shining Armor tapped Cadfael on the shoulder. “Please don't, but we're brothers at arms, besides by the rules of the award that you will receive, you no longer have to salute me, I have to salute you.”

Cadfael smiled. “The family taking me in has a young daughter, and I'm going to be a big brother now.”

Shining Armor smiled back. And offered his hoof. “Congratulations, but remember It can be a tough job, the biggest will be for you to remain calm when they get into your things.”

His personal groomer helps both Cadfael, and Golden Shield get ready as well. After Cadfael left to talk to Shining Armor, and while getting, his mane braided Golden asked the groomer a question. “Pardon me, but is Cadfael related to a noble family?”

The groomer looked both ways and bent down to the colt’s ear. “Well, you didn't hear it from me. But there is a rumor he is Princess Luna’s great-grandson or something like that.”

After sever more hours and a pretty seamstress both young colts were waiting outside the chamber for the ceremonies to begin, and he could hear Music.

Shining Armor informed Cadfael that the music that would be played next was for him, and as soon as the trumpets played the doors were to open.

Cadfael was getting nervous, beads of sweat began to form. “Are we first?” inquired Cadfael.

Shining Armor spoke behind the colt. “Yes, but it's nothing to worry about.”

Cadfael was getting a little nervous in his tone. “How many ponies will be there?”

Shining could be heard making a noise “Well, the chamber can hold hundreds easily, four or five hundred.” He thought a little more on the question and then continued. “I guess depends on how tightly they packed them in.”

They asked each other question, Shining Armor saw that Cadfael was beginning to shake a little in fear. “Just relax, I will get you through this!”

Royal Guard pony brought a note to Shining Armor. After looking at the list over he commented. “Well, it looks like it's more than just a few hundred.”

Cadfael's voice cracked. “Hundreds, I can't do this.” He began trying to back up, but with Shining Armor right behind him, he had nowhere to go.

Shining Armor had thought ahead and was ready for this. “Oh no, it's too late to back out now, if you willing to tackle a dozen Diamond dogs you can do this.” The doors began to open, Golden Shield was much calmer.”

“Don't worry Cad.” Replied Golden. “The fillies will really be wanting to meet you after today.”

Shining Armor now began marching, and with the slightest hoof to Cadfael rear caused him to begin marching up the carpet.

Golden held Cadfael's banner and marched behind Shining Armor. The banner was a white field bearing a black anvil. Only a few ponies knew the device, and it was the first time in over a thousand years these colors were seen.

Shining Armor kept talking to Cadfael in a calm quiet voice. “Keep walking forward, you’re doing great, now keep your head forward, but now look just to your left.”

Cadfael did as he was told, and as he was passing two Unicorn fillies, one dark blue, and the other a lighter shade, they smiled at him and waved small branches of teacup roses.

Shining Armor knew it was a sign of favor for the hero. “OK, now ever so slightly, nod to them, not too much.”

Cadfael did as he was told, and he could now see the two fillies hopped up and down from his acknowledgment.

Shiny Armor now snickered. “See at, now at the party to follow you, and Golden will have someone to talk to.”

Almost at the throne Cadfael took note of all the differing types of ponies in the grand hall. A large collection of Earth ponies waved pennants of white and black, and several others held a banner bearing his name.

Shining Armor now told the other colt. “Come on Golden, It's Cadfael's show from here, just follow me to the side of the chamber.” The two turned to the right and took a spot that had been left for them by the wall.

Cadfael walked till he reached the foot of the stairs. He bowed, and a voice told him to advance. He walked up the stairs, and at the top he bowed then removed his helmet. Then advanced towards the Princesses.

There stood the three Princesses. Celestia was the first to advance walked towards the bowing Cadfael.

She spoke as gently as she could. No pony other pony could hear her words. “Rise Cadfael, what I have to offer will be given to you in time, but for now you are a recognized herald of our court.”Celestia almost melted right then at the smile the young colt wore.

Cadfael replied. “Thank you, my Princess, it is an honor.” His head still bowed.

Celestia spoke again. “When you reach your majority a place in the school of your choice will be made. She turned back for a moment and a scroll was given to him.

She now retired, and Princess Cadence approached. Cadfael dreaded her a great deal. Already he saw her with that crazy look in her eyes. Over the last few days, upon meeting Cadence she began pinching his cheeks, and how she could do that was almost beyond him, it had to be magic. But she didn't pinch his cheeks this time, and she just began to speak. “You have been placed on the rosters as an officer in Luna's guard. So continue to be brave, you may be called upon to save your princess again.” He knew given a chance she would have to pinch his cheeks and embarrass him within an inch of his life.

Cadence continued. “Should you wish to be an officer in the Princess guard, needs to be strong of body and mind to continue.”

Again, a scroll was given to Cadfael, and he placed this one back with his first in his satchel.

After she retired Princess Luna stepped forward. At first, she carried a very stoic expression, but it soon turned to a smile. “I cannot thank you enough for what you were willing to suffer for your Princess. What I now give you have only been given to less than two score ponies in the 1500 years after its introduction. it is the Crescent Moon.”

The Princess levitated the metal from its case. “It was a crescent moon upon a black circle with four diamonds surrounding it.

Luna now continued. “Only two that ever wore it after it was given, of which you are the second.” she used her magic to raise the metal, and place it around his neck.

Cadfael now bowed. “All I ask is to serve my Princess.”

She also lowered her head to his and whispered. “You gave me my heart back my young Cadfael, and for that, I can never give you enough.” She kissed his cheek, and then turned and returned to the others.

He was more than a little flushed, but he bowed to each princess, and backed to the stairs and walked over to Golden and Shining.

Shining placed a hove on Cadfael's shoulder. “You did really well there.”

The ceremonies lasted another two hours after that, and each Princess took their time before retiring from the chamber. The crowd now began to move, Shining Armor looked at the tired colts. “Come on I bet you colts are hungry.”

The two colts were eating while a group of fillies watched them. Then Golden spoke up. “OK which one are you going for.”

Cadfael gave his head tilt. “What do you mean?”

Golden rolled his eyes. “Which filly are you going to dance with.”

Cadfael didn’t know how to dance, but he watched the others. He would have stayed on the sidelines, but he asked Ms. Vellum how to dance. She pointed out the better dancers, and told him to just copy them.

Cadfael watched the fillies trying to build up the courage to ask one to dance, and finally, the dark unicorn he had seen earlier in the chamber came up to him. She still held on to her branch of tea roses.

She appeared to be working up the courage to approach him. She finally felt bold enough to start the conversation. “I hope you won't think this is too bold of me, but I'm Evening Star.” She was having trouble speaking, she shifted back and forth as she stood in front of him. “I've been wanting to talk to you since you came into the palace weeks ago.”

Cadfael was awed. “Wow, I never thought a filly as pretty as you would talk to me.”

She smiled, and just giggled into the tea roses on the branch causing many of the peddles to fall to the floor.

An older unicorn now walks behind Evening Star. “Come, my dear, the young hero is going to dance.” She turned her daughter physically around. “There he is.” She then pointed to Golden Shield.

Evening Star just sighed. “I'm sorry.” Her Grand-mama pulled her hoof and lead her towards Golden. But she turned for a moment and blew a kiss.

Cadfael, was ready to dodge, had she just spit at him? He then just shrugged and went to the table to get some more food.

Cadfael had just started talking to one of the serving ponies when the mare returned with her filly.

She bowed to Cadfael. “I'm so sorry, I was informed that the unicorn was the hero.” She now raised her eyes and smiled at Cadfael. “I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive me.”

Cadfael just replied. “That's OK."

The mare seemed to question Cadfael's response. “But you'll have titles now, and you’re a member of the royal court.”

Cadfael rolled his eyes. “Maybe so, but right now I'm just Cadfael.”

The mare now encouraged her filly to chat with Cadfael.

Cadfael looked at the filly she seemed a little upset. “I'm sorry about my Grand-mama, and what she said.” she paused a moment and spoke Again, “her eyes are really bad without her glasses.”

Cadfael just gave a little snort. “Don't worry.” He now got a mischief look on his face. “Would you like to meet Princess Luna?”

Evening Stars' eyes grew wide. “Really?” She appeared almost afraid of the chance.

Cadfael took her hove. “Come on it will be fun, and Princess Luna is the kindest of ponies.”

It took a little bit of effort, but he was finally able to talk her into coming with him. She took him by the hove, and he led her to the line to greet the Princesses. She stood beside Cadfael and walked up to the line to meet the Princesses.

But as soon as Celestia saw them she waved to him, and an attendant came down and brought them from the line and they were escorted to the thrones.

Celestia smiled. “Cadfael have you made a friend?”

He bowed. “Yes, if I may please I would like to introduce Evening Star.”

The little filly bowed.

Celestia now made an acknowledgment. “You’re the filly who played my sister in the Pageant.”

Luna also smiled. “I remember as well, I thought you carried yourself very well young mare.”

“Thank you, your highness.” Replied Evening Star. Her voice gave away how frighten she really was. “I am so honor to have seen you.”

Luna now took a moment and leaning towards her asked Evening Star. “What do you think of Cadfael.”

Evening Star giggled just slightly before catching herself. “He is a very cute Colt.” and she glanced at him again, but returned her attention back to Princess Luna.

Luna lowered her head and whispered in the Evening Star's ear. “I think so too!”

As they headed back to the floor, Princess Cadence tapped on Shining Armors' head. “I want that one.”

Shining Armor put his hoof to his head, and then looked at his wife. “That one is going back to Ponyville.”

The afternoon was pleasant, and as night finally fell upon Equestria Cadfael began to tire.

While Cadfael was tired he still made sure his uniform was in order and met with Luna's personal guard. And they stood in attendance to her lowering of the moon.

Cadfael finally returned to his apartment and began getting ready for bed. The servants had brought Cadfael’s gifts to the room, and it made a large pile in the corner of the room, but he needed to rest in order to be up in time to lower the Princesses banner.

He was up and a few minutes early to lower the Princess banner.

And then met with Shining Armor and Celestia for breakfast. “You'll be leaving soon to go back to Ponyville.”

Celestia now asked. “Are you sure you don't want to stay? The Princess may need saving again.”

Cadfael chuckled. “I don't think the princess needs me around. She knows I’m not any relation to the hero Eision.”

Celestia laughed. “Oh, I do not believe that is as important as the life of the brave colt that saved her life.”

When Cadfael returned to his quarters he began opening the gifts. Most of them were just too much for Cadfael. Although there was a watch, a pocket watch which he wanted to keep, he looked at the note that came with it.

“To the newest hero in Equestria, love Evening Star.”

He carefully placed the note in a watch box as a keepsake.

It was still a week before Cadfael was heading home on the train, but he had written dozens of thank you notes, and promised to do his best in the future.

Most of the gifts he gave the staff and other ponies he had played with while at the palace.

He said his goodbyes to Ms. Vellum who hugged him as tight as she could. She said in her seventy-five years of teaching, that along with Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer he was one of her best students, and she gave him a book it was blank, but she said he would figure out what needed to be written in it, Mr. Vellum’s husband gave him a small box of art supplies.

Cadfael packed his armor, and horn, but donned his uniform and field cap, his rank worn at his collar, and his metal polished and bright.

A knock at his door now caused him the turn, he moved to answer it as quickly as he could. Shining Armor was at the door, and Cadfael saluted Shining Armor.

Shining Armor now spoke to him. “Lieutenant I was going to ask a favor of you.”

Cadfael wanting to please responded. “Anything sir.”

“I would like you to take a letter to my sister, she should be back in Ponyville by the time you get back.”

Cadfael knew it was an honor to be asked to do this. “It would be an honor, sir.”

A few days later Cadfael found himself at the train station. A group of Luna's personal guard saw Cadfael off, and the Captain offered Cadfael a short sword.

The captain now spoke to him, more like a father to son, than officer to officer. “Cadfael Every officer under the Princesses wears a sword, and it’s a sign of your rank within the guard.” He turned to walk away but turned and faced him again. “Just remember Lieutenant, the best blades are kept in their scabbards.”

Shining Armor had a chance before leavening to say goodbye once again, before boarding his own train back to the Crystal Empire.

Cadfael had his own berth on the train, the porter turned down the sheets and Cadfael gave him a gold bit. The train porter was going to give it back, but he stopped him by telling him the Princess gave it to him through him. In fact, Princess Luna had given him a rather large purse of coins, which he had to place in his saddlebags.

Cadfael woke just before most of the train and walked to the dining car. He ate a big bowl of mush, and watched as the ponies came in for breakfast.

The train was starting to slow, and the conductor showed him how to set the time on his watch.

A mare with two foals were looking through their bags, the other conductor had asked her for her ticket, and she could not find it, or her purse

Cadfael came up to the Conductor and hoofed him a few bits.

The conductor tapped Cadfael on the shoulder and offered her hove. Later she showed Cadfael how to set his watch, and told him, that rail time was the standard for Equestria.

The train finally pulled into Ponyville station, and the Conductor helped Cadfael off the train. He got his baggage and duffel for him.

After a few moments, the steam and smoke cleared.

The sun was barely up, but a group of ponies waited on the station platform, and a banner flew, and it said. “Welcome to the newest Apple.”

Cadfael smiled, at the landing, he saw a group of ponies, including Dayton's family, and His family from Sweet Apple Acres.

Almost at once he heard the sound of Mountain Rose calling him. “Hey, Big brother.”

Cadfael turned, and he ran to meet her and give her a hug.

Dayton grabbed up and hugged Cadfael. “It's good to see you son. I think your Mama has been waiting for you.”

Thimble a very young and beautiful unicorn went to her knees and embraced Cadfael who thought she had an interesting accent when she spoke. “I am so happy to see you again, I have been longing to see my colt.”

Cadfael didn't know what to do than to just embrace her. He spoke softly into her ear. “I am so glad to be home Mama.”

Mountain Rose gave her new big brother a quick hug. And began to bounce about on her hooves. "Big Brother over here, look what I can do”. She now hopped up and down on her hooves in front of him.

Cadfael had heard a lot of stories about step-foals and had to ask. “Will I be staying in the barn?” He didn't know that Dayton had worked on enlarging his farmhouse.

Thimble and Dayton just looked at each other, and then began to laugh.

Dayton picked up Cadfael again and placed him on his back. “No son of mine will sleep in a barn, you'll have your own room.” He paused a moment. “you already have a bed with sheets, and a desk and chair.”

Thimble with a little laugh in her voice then spoke. “Come everypony, let us go home and have our first meal together as a family.”

Cadfael’s hooves went around Dayton’s neck and thought to himself. “A family, I have a family!” The smile he wore would have been hard to wipe from his face.



Celestia sat in her personal chamber looking into a floating globe, "A pure heart, I only wish it could have been of my choosing, but he did find the best I've ever seen."



Cadfael had been on the Dayton’s and Thimble’s farm for a few days.

The young colt was still having a hard time believing that his life was now so perfect.

He quietly got out of bed, and walked to the front door, he stood on the porch and looked into the night.

The soft calls from the Everfree forest could be heard from the porch easily enough. It was both scary, and exciting at the same time.

He heard another pony coming to the front door and saw Thimble stepping outside to join him. She walked close to him and bumped him slightly. She joined him in looking out into the darkness. “Are you happy here my colt?”

He wiped his eye as a tear form in its corner. “This is the best place in the whole world.”

She smiled again widely. “I was worried you may have lost your love of the simple life after living in Canterlot, but it appears it only made you want it even more.”

Cadfael gave a big yawn, and wiped again at his eyes. “Sorry, I guess I’m still tired.”

Thimble placed a hove on her colt. “Then maybe you should go back to bed, it is not even midnight, and then you will be up again before the light of day.”

Cadfael nodded and walked back into the house, but not before his mama gave him a kiss to the top of his head. She waited just a moment, and then turned her eyes skyward.

Thimble returned to the house, and soon was back asleep.

A voice in the front yard spoke though no pony heard it. “Thank you for taking in my Cadfael, I will continue to watch over you, all of you, and from now till the end of all days, you have my thanks and love.”

The sound of wings could be heard, and a few moments later silence again watched over the night.



We sure had fun storming the castle...



Almost finished a short piece to follow, and it will be getting edited

Author's Note:

Almost finished a short piece to follow, and it will be getting edited

Comments ( 3 )

I do love me some Captain Marvel!

11443096
Thank you, i never got many returns on this story. But now I’ve gotten a number of emails and stouts.

I hope everyone enjoyed reading it, was thinking now that my writing skills have improved, many try a rewrite and a few side stories.

I hope you enjoyed my efforts, any ideas or requests are always welcomed!

11443809
I honestly haven’t read it yet, I’ve got a huge backlog. I was just commenting for now to let you know you’ve got good taste in characters!

Login or register to comment