• Published 20th May 2016
  • 610 Views, 6 Comments

The Adventures of Captain Stallion - Captain_Stallion



The effort to remain good, after everything is the Challenge .f

  • ...
 6
 610

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Celestia had left the small chamber to the balcony in an attempt to escape from her sisters Luna's rant,
but it only lasted for a moment. She took a deep breath and while she enjoyed the cool evening air the Winter weather was not completely at an end, despite the fact some of the smaller Earth pony villages had just finished celebrating the winter wrap up, but a sudden gust of a chilly winter wind caused her to turn around and go back inside where stood Luna with a very cross expression, and waiting to finish her rant.

Luna continued scowling, and she began her rant anew. “Sister it is very important that we take action!” Soon Luna's tone caused Celestia to wish she had stayed outside even with the winter wind still keeping most ponies still inside.

Luna had gotten impatient waiting for the military to take any decisive action on the Diamond Dogs. She had gone over a need to conscript for more Royal Guards to keep their army large enough to keep Equestrian borders protected. Although the army of Equestria has only conscripted during times of war or in the face of a disaster.

Now without looking directly at her Celestia spoke to Luna. “Sister I know your intentions are good, but we can not take the actions you desire without evidence. It could bring hostilities to both our countries.”

Luna turned, and she now was faced the doors of the chamber. “We’ll talk about this later, I wish to do something about it.”

The Unicorn Royal Guard bowed and opened the chamber door for Luna, and once she had stepped out of the chamber he closed it right behind her.

She had only taken a few steps down the hallway when a Pegasus Captain of her personal guard stepped forward. “Your highness, I have assembled a score of your best personal guards. We just await your command.”

Luna knew these few guards were her best soldiers, and loyal without question. She then turned and spoke instructions to her Captain. “Rally at platform eight.” Platform Eight was normally used to move cargo and the mail to and from other locations.

She went to her chambers and donned a helmet and a coat of light armor. The trappings may have hid her cutie mark, but not her identity by any means. She was determined to find the cause of the missing ponies. These were her ponies, the citizens of Equestria, and she would find some answers.

She teleported to the landing pad and waited for her personal guards to arrive. She didn't have to wait long they were exactly on time, all in light armor. She saw their eyes burn with a desire to prove themselves in her sight.

Luna nodded towards them and then spoke. “Come, I shall take the lead, and we’ll fly until we reach a small village of.” Luna stopped and looked to the Captain.

The Captain without checking the map knew exactly where she was heading, “Sunnydale. It's a small quiet area close by the area you wish to inspect, Your Highness.”

She nodded to her personal guards. “Good, let us go.” she leaped into the air, and the guards followed in pairs their eyes open because they didn't want to meet another patrol. This expedition had not been approved by Celestia, and all involved could be in serious trouble should they be found out.

Princess Celestia watched her sister leave the platform with her personal guards following. She knew that she should have called them back, and reprimanded them all. Although she was worried as well. The Diamond Dogs had said they had looked for the missing ponies, but they had not allowed her or her military to search the area with them.

She was sure of one thing her sister would find the truth, and if they were prisoners, then she would bring war upon a weak enemy at best. Still, many ponies could be in danger.

Something was just outside her chamber window, and for less than a second, it just touched her field of vision. Celestia teleported across the room in a blink of an eye. now looking about the chamber's balcony. She had even readied a spell, but if anypony had been there it was now gone.

Princess Celestia turned her attention to the guard by the door, who now seemed to be now on edge. Celestia's voice was calm/ “Would you come here please.”

He approached and bowed. “How may I serve my Princess?”

The Princess looked at him. He was young and untested in actual war, and he had only been on the castle guard for a short time, but this duty was not given to the lazy or foalish.

Something seemed familiar about the guard, but she could not see his cutey mark as it was covered by armor.

The Princess’s secretary made a note as fast as she could. “Please have the guards travel in pairs tonight!”

The guard responded to her order. “At once, Your Highness!” And with another short bow, he was gone from the room. She was more worried about their safety than her own.

Celestia could hear her personal royal guard now calling the Sergeant of the Guard to make her request known. She was sorry if some poor soldiers were going to do without sleep, but better to be safe than sorry.

Once again Celestia stepped out on the balcony. She looked about, but quickly came back in and closed the doors behind her. the Princess then noticed her secretary yawning.

“Oh, I'm sorry your highness.” and bowing out of respect to the Princess.

“It's all right Ms. Scribbles. You have been with me since before the sunrise.” She now looked out the window. “And here it is right after Sunset.”

Now turning to her personal guard once again. “Please, escort Ms. Scribbles to her chambers.” she placed the pad and quill on the table. ”Tomorrow, we’ll look into getting another two mares to assist you, but for now get some rest.”

Scribbles bowed and then left with the royal guard.

Celestia now retired. If her sister and her personal guards saw anything she would know of it. Right now she needed to rest.


A figure looked into the chamber from the balcony. They wore a smile upon their face and appeared to be happy to see the Princess. It had been several hundred years since he had last talked to her. But he had to take this matter unto himself.

He now thought back to how she had lost faith in him, and only her kind heart kept had kept him around at all. Although he knew he would not only be serving her all Equestria. But after only a few hundred years she had taken others to her Council, and the old pony was treated like an old and senile uncle. For her sake, he had never lost faith in her, but he knew that the only real hope for Equestria was the pure heart.


The figure flew high into the night sky, the spell on him keeping him hidden from the Pegasus that flew patrols at night, and with a little luck that would include Luna's personal guard as well.

For over a thousand years he had searched for the Pure Heart, but the signs had not been made clear until recently. The return of Luna to the castle and the two sisters ruling one land was the last sign. This old pony had lived well beyond a thousand years, just wondering who the pure heart would be, a unicorn mage, or a bold warrior Pegasus, or maybe even a stout Earth pony. Right now it was a mystery even to him. Although before the night was over he would know.

The old pony alighted upon a tall rock and scratched several runes into the rock, and waited for the magic to find whom they were looking for. The wind picked up to more than a slight breeze and the gentle sounds of little bells and his flapping cloak he wore on his cloak filled the night around the rock.

The magic did as the old pony commanded. It wormed and snaked into the earth, searching deeper and deeper. The magic reached into the earth, around rock and gem, searching.

At last, the magic found what it was told to search out. The old pony then again took to the air, flying over hills and mountains, over fields and farms. Finally coming to a large pile of earth, after examining the dirt he knew this is the key to gather the information he needed. The old pony drove his staff into the piled dirt. He cast a spell that began to look into the hill and seeing whom maybe there...

Deeper and deeper the vision looked into the mountain, and finally, he came upon the subject of his long hunt: a small dark brown pony with a bald face. The cloaked figure chuckled the fates can, and most of the time they will play tricks on those who follow the signs.

At first, the old pony thought he had made a mistake, but it was true, this was the Pure Heart, and for awhile the cloaked pony watched, but now something blurred the magic slightly. His attention was now drawn down the outside of the huge earthen pile, he looked down, and he could see shadowy figures fighting.

Princess Luna, a Princess of war, and action. Yet of dreams and soft evening breezes. The older pony had always been fond of her in his youth. Thinking to himself. “Those days were long behind me.” He watched now as scores of Diamond Dogs poured out of the hills and caves surrounding them. He couldn't help, he had more important things to attend to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The small pony the Mage had seen earlier crawled through a tight tunnel. He had used it to his best advantage for several months. At least he thought he remembered it being at least months, if not years he had been in these caves. He had seen the surface, but that was to dump earth and stones dugout by the ponies the dogs kept him and other ponies as slave labor. Although he had even gone outside without being seen, only if he had left, the dogs would do the worst things imaginable to them, so to keep the others safe he always came back, but he used tunnels and cracks to raid the kitchen, and the garbage for extra food, because most the Dogs like to keep the ponies hungry, more out of cruelty than anything else.

The little pony moved through the tunnels his bag snagged on a rock. It had almost ripped open, and after some effort, he was able to get it unhooked and start moving again. This had cost him time, and it was not long before they were going to have to start digging. He had found it always easier to dig with something in his belly, and finally, after his long trip the small pony climbed out of the tight exit, and then reached back inside and pulled the sack out after him.

Using his hoof to knock some of the dirt off. he gently called to the other pony prisoners that had been resting in the dark. “Hey wake up, I've got some food.” The other ponies stirred, and he poured out what looked like more a collection of trash or garbage, but it was met with hungry eyes and drooling mouths. Now, of course, some of the others were naturally greedy, and in truth, no one would have blamed them, but the pony that had brought the sack made sure everypony got a fair share. And presently he was trying right now to take care of a small unicorn filly that had come to them a few weeks ago. The filly was really too young and far too small to be useful for digging. And accidents seem to happen and so now she was hurt he had gotten the dogs to bandage her legs and to ensure her safety he kept her with him, and now she was the first to be fed.

A ginger pony whose mouth was full of food asked the dark pony that had brought the food a question. “Hey, Cadfael you got lost tonight?”

Cadfael looked back after making sure Mountain Rose the little unicorn filly was able to eat the slop he had found. “Don’t know why, I grabbed the pail, and the scraps from the tables and got back as soon as I could,” he turned for a moment and grabbed a piece of dry bread. “But it felt like some-pony was watching me.”

Another pony suggested they should rest a little longer until the dogs came for them,

Ginger agreed. “Sounds good if they're busy, we could rest another couple of hours before they come.”

Cadfael laid down on an old dirty blanket to rest a little longer and Mountain Rose. came over to Cadfael and getting as close as she could, using him as a pillow. It was only a moment later he could hear her crying. Cadfael patted her head. “Stay calm Rosy.”

Cadfael and Mountain Rose seldom talked to the other ponies, normally just each other. She finally got a few words out between sobs. “I miss my Mama and Daddy.”

Cadfael had not stopped patting her head. “I know Rosy,” replied Cadfael, now nuzzling her a little. “I miss mine too; though I can't remember their faces.”

Mountain Rose looked at Cadfael, her eyes still wet with tears. “I'm sorry Caddi.” And she gave him a small hug.

Cadfael gave her a little smile, “I remember my Mama, she was a unicorn like yourself, only white, and her mane was almost silver, and her eyes were light brown, almost a gold.” He lowered his head and softly spoke. “She just disappeared one night.”

Cadfael saw that Mountain Rose had fallen asleep. It seemed to be an uneasy sleep. He was worried about her legs they were not getting better and if she couldn't dig she would be taken away, and no way he was going to let that happen. He would hide her and blame it on another group of dogs.

So most of the other ponies made a small pile and rested as long as they could many of them coughed in their sleep the dust often took its toll quicker than the dogs' acts of cruelty.

---------------------------------------------------------------------


The cloaked figure was sickened by the conditions of the young ponies, and now looking at Cadfael as he rested, “Yes, this is the pure heart.” but he knew the first of several tests were coming, and he let a thought wander down to the dark pony through the tunnels and passages of the hill, and finally found the dark pony.

The message was clear and simple, but he would have to act on his own. “It's time to leave if you want to save this filly!”

Cadfael sat up. He had heard a voice telling him to move now that the chance they had waited for to escape was here. If he did not take it now he would live out his short life in these caves, and so would the others...

Cadfael now stood up and looked about again, and a spark of courage came to him. “Guys wake up, I think this is the time, if we move now we can get out, I'm sure I can get us out.”

The ginger pony Nutmeg raised his head, a look of fear was in his eyes. “Cad do you know what they will do if they catch us.”

Cadfael looked back. “I do, but I can see no future if we stay here.”

Mountain Rose now stood as best she could, and hobbled over to Cadfael.
“You won't leave me behind will you?” Her eyes held a look of fear they may have to leave her behind to escape.

Cadfael nuzzled her face. “No, I want us all to leave.”

As they got ready, Cadfael saw that little Rosy was only going to get out if she was carried. Cadfael turning now to tell Nutmeg. “Help me get Rosy on my back, I'll carry her out.”

The ponies formed a line with Cadfael in the lead, and Nutmeg at the rear. There were ten young ponies in all. He had tied the work rope to each of them but left it loose enough that they pull away if need be. They headed up in the dark as quickly as they could. Fortunately, luck was on their side the only two dogs they encountered thought they were a work party, and they were to busy to bother with them.

As the ponies finally reached the surface. The dusty air of the tunnel disperse, and they could breathe. Cadfael had them drop the rope, its usefulness was over. Nutmeg spit at the rope as it fell to the ground.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The figure on the hill watched as Luna and her personal guard fought a battle that most would have thought a foal’s task, but they held their own. The cloaked figure thought to himself as the ponies fought the dogs. “If this was the old 13th brigade they would have won this battle, and been drinking cider at their base by now.”

The cloaked figure now used his magic to cover the colt’s escape until the Pure Heart passed this test, at last, he saw the little ponies come out of the cave, and now thinking to himself. “Now to get him away from the others. They are not important to what needs to be done.” But before he could advance towards him, the others had taken shelter in some rocks. Although the pure heart took off after some of Luna's personal guards in pursuit of some of the Diamond Dogs. The scene now became chaos and the cloaked figure lost contact with Cadfael.

A string of curses passed the older pony’s mouth he would later be sorry about. He wanted no negative energy and wanted himself not to be the cause of it. “No I have to leave the area now, and get ready for his appearance, oh please don't let anything happen to him.” as he took to the air again and moved towards the old castle of the sisters in the Evergreen Forest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

On the outside, Cadfael had quickly found a place to hide his friends and then went off in pursuit of two of Luna's guards. But it was impossible to catch up. They moved far to quick for him to follow. When they landed ahead, they came back into view.

Cadfael now found himself standing on a ridge which overlooked a small clearing. All once he became quite excited. In the shelter of the clearing was Princess Luna, and even though he had never seen her it could no pony-else. He wanted to call out to her, but that could distract her. He began looking for a way down while she was talking to several of her guards. He couldn’t find a way down, and he was about to go back when he saw to his right not twenty yards away a group of Diamond dogs had moved in. and were reaching a point they would be able to threaten the princess. What happened next has always been in question, and even Cadfael was not totally sure of what happened. But a shrill voice in the night cried. “Look out my Princess!” This caused them all to be alarmed, and when the spears and sling stones came they found no targets, but another group of them was still there.

Cadfael backed up as far as he could and made a run for more momentum and made a leap towards the lead dog. Cadfael then found himself beginning to tumble, but for his luck, he landed on the lead dog and knocked him to the ground. The rest of the dogs fearing an attack ran when their location was found. The lead dog shook himself off when he found that he was unhurt. but now he was angry to have lost face in front of the others, and then reaching down he recovered his fallen spear and lashed out at Cadfael, and then turn and ran from the scene.

Two of the personal guard went after the dogs while the third remained with the princess. When she saw colt she advanced quickly went to help him,

“Lieutenant this one needs our help, get the medic quickly!”

The officer responded, ”Yes Your Highness,” and the cry went out for the medic.

Luna used her magic and lifted the colt out of the bushes and into her forelegs. “Were you the one who yelled the warning?”

Cadfael nodded his head slightly.

Luna smiled at him. “Then thank you for your warning young colt.” Luna looked at the colt there was something she saw in his face, she had known it before, but how.?

Cadfael began to see blurry images, nothing was clear. His condition was not looking good and as he tried to speak. Little droplets of blood could be seen as he tried to speak. “ The other...” Now coughing again. “The other ponies?”

Luna's order came out loud and clear. “Lieutenant begins a search for these ponies.”

The officers returned a “Yes Your Highness, as he spun and took off calling the others to form on him. Now from all directions, they went looking for the missing ponies.

Luna turned to Cadfael, she stroked his mane and face. “You are a brave colt. what is your name?”

Cadfael began to cough again more blood than before. Luna's eyes grew wider. “You'll be OK!” What was less than a minute was an hour to Luna, thinking to herself, “where is that damn medic?”

Cadfael raised his head. “Is the Princess alright?”

Princess Luna smiled. “Be still your injured, and she is unhurt.”

Cadfael coughed again, but he gave the Princess a smile. “Then it's OK!” At this point, Cadfael fell limp in Luna's forelegs and passed out.

The Princess's eyes were already wide and now she held a dying subject, one that had offered his life for hers. A few months ago another colt had told her she was his favorite princess.

By this time the officer shows up to find the princess holding the young pony. “We have the young ponies, your highness.”

Luna leaped into the air and yelling at her personal guards. “The dogs are in retreat, get the young to safety, and everypony else as well Lieutenant.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Luna now sped towards the lights of a small village ahead, the medic may not have come in time, and she was having trouble feeling this colt breath. “Please hang on little one, I can see Ponyville is just ahead”

The doors to the hospital were secure, with a note to ring the bell for assistance. Luna did not feel she had the time to waste, she used her magic and forced the doors open,

Upon entering, Luna used a small bit of her Canterlot voice. “Assistance, I require assistance!”

Had it been anypony else the staff would have reacted much different, but Luna could see a figure coming up the hallway, and lights beginning to come on, the pale mare wore the uniform with the cutie mark of a medical member.

The nurse was talking in a soft voice in the hopes that Luna would follow suit. “I'm here to help you, Your Highness.”

Luna was no longer yelling, and looking the pale mare in the face and almost pleading. “This colt is in dire need!”

Two interns came up One arrived in the hallway wheeling a gurney, and taking Cadfael and securing him to it. “We’ll do what we can the Doctor has been called for, it will be just a few minutes”

A doctor arrived, and two more nurses as well. In the hospital staff took Cadfael away for examination.

The Doctor now turned spoke, to Luna. “We’ll do everything we can for him!”

Luna now goes to sit down and glances at the clock, just after ten-thirty,

The nurse came up slowly to the Princess as not to startle her. “your Highness, we should send for his parents, can we have his name?”

Luna looked at the nurse, “I don't know his name, or if he has any parents.”

Luna then thinking to herself and responded to the nurse. “To die alone, and with no name.” a tear showed in her eyes...

The nurse who had to tell bad news to ponies before now looked at the princess shedding a tear on an unknown pony. She pulls a tissue from her pocket and offered it. “I'm sorry, it's all I have.”

Luna smiled at her. “Your very kind to share with me.”

The nurse smiled back. “Let me get you some tea, please.”

After a while, the clock showed it was just after two in the morning. The doctor stepped out of the room and walked towards the princess with the most somber of expressions.

The Doctor bowed as he approached. “Your Highness, we did all we could, but I fear it was not enough.”

Luna had seen many ponies born, live their lives, and pass away. And in truth, an average pony live was barely more than a candle to her and her sister. But now Princess Luna had become tearful. again “Then he is.”

Doctor replied. “No, Your Highness, but I fear soon. We've made him comfortable as we can.”

Luna raised her head. “I would like to see him, please!”

They escorted her to the room, but the Doctor and staff then stayed outside, and let Princess Luna say goodbye to the colt.

Luna had been touched by the colt's devotion. She then touched the brow of the colts head gently with her hoof, she then leaned forward and kissed his cheek before leaving the room.

Luna turned and walked out of the hospital. It was the middle of the night, with no sign of the coming sun.

The Doctor and nurse re-entered the room where Cadfael has been taken. The nurse looked at the colt, and before covering his face and form with a sheet she spoke to the doctor. “He was so young.”

The doctor responded. “Yes they were, I'm sure they will receive a hero’s funeral for services to the Princess.”

Both Ponies then left the room and they turned out the light as they exited.

The room was then dark and quiet with Cadfael laying covered with a single sheet on the bed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The shadow of Luna fell across Canterlot she flew directly to the royal land pad and began her walk to the chamber both her and her sister sat in a few short hours ago. Luna's mood caused all to just bow and no one attempted to speak to her

As Luna finally entered into the royal chambers she was greeted by Celestia who must have known something of her mind then greeted her.

Celestia spoke. “your personal guards have already been reporting. I took the liberty of reading their input on the mission. I must say your feelings were right.”

Luna walked to her pillows. "Greetings my sister." Then Luna lay down, but almost rolling to one side.

"What happened was not your fault! You could not see what would have happened, but only two injuries on such a mission, truly your lucky stars shown tonight.”

Luna stood and stomped her hoof, her face showing signs of anger. "He should have not done that!"

Celestia’s voice didn't change. “No, but he did. Now we need to honor him for his sacrifice."

Luna now began to sob gently in her pillow. "I believed that no pony cared or loved me, and now this little one..."

Celestia now held up a letter. “I have the officers report, The young colt leads the other young ponies out of the tunnels, and they have informed me his name was Cadfael.” the letter went on, but Celestia had stopped reading

There was a long pause

Luna went to read the letter to herself. “Such an old pony name.”

Celestial now placed the letter. on a short table, and turning to a royal guard saying. "Please dispatch two fliers to return the colt."

Royal guard now bowing. "At once Your Highness!"

The orders the Princess gave were passed from one officer to another until finally, the office on the flight deck received them.

Two Royal Guard Pegasus is being fitted to a black coach.

Cloud Pounced turned to his partner. "I really hate this duty!"

Mountain Star commented back. “You didn't hear did you, It gets worse because this is a colt!"

Cloud Pounced placing a hove to his head. "Oh great!"

The Pegasus on the deck motioned for the pair to line up and wait for take-off signal, it was only a moment incoming, they made speed quickly and climbed like a rocket into the night sky.

The two Royal Guards could be seen flying away from the platform. Just the sound of their wings fading as they flew towards Ponyville.

Chapter one, well that was fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

This is the first thing I have written in many man years, and I am so rusty, I feel like I'm frozen solid.

I promise to work harder, and find someone to assist with editing.