• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 1,267 Views, 11 Comments

Pale - Allkore



Survival is a game that all species are forced to play, and Pale has got it rough.

  • ...
0
 11
 1,267

3 - Softened Purple

The ear-rumbling whirring of the machinery in the room cried out into the ears of the scientist ponies about it. The room was primarily shaded red and green from the glow of buttons on the complex machines. The running of the contraptions let out a warmth that was just a bit too warm to get comfortable in. Engram stood in front of a large sum of monitors; line graphs, numbers, and images flashed about the screens, incomprehensible by the average Donut Joe. He pointed to a few things here and there on the screens, said a bit of this and that, and had his co-workers make alterations on the tasks they were performing. The 20 or so scientist ponies chatted amongst each other and all seemed to be going smoothly.

Through a large window pane that was a few inches thick, a monstrosity of a machine stood, with wires and cords hanging about it at random. Two massive, cylindrical chambers on the machine contained chemicals: In one, a thin, yellow liquid that irradiated a faint glow, and in the other, a softly shaded purple substance that was very thick and gooey, with the same consistency as liquid Mercury. Hollow tubes connected both chambers to another, smaller chamber, in between them, that had many tiny corridors hooked up to the sides of it, which were hooked up to another machine altogether through very thin tubing. Doctor Engram gave a few nods of approval towards the monitors, then cleared his throat rather roughly.

"It is time, everypony! Fire up the main generators!" Engram ordered, and in response, a loud, engine-like sound began to roar, shaking the room and the ponies in it. Lights on the large machine in the other room lit up, and many beeps and dings began to sing their song to the audience in the other room. Engram smiled a smile that was filled with many emotions: Excitement, fear, and happiness. "Status report!" Engram shouted out.

"All generators are all performing at expected capacity, Doctor," somepony yelled out. Engram's grin only grew wider with each passing moment, his heart beginning to flutter.

"Very good. Now, we begin. Release 5 litres of chemical EN-402 into the chamber, along with 2 litres of chemical T-3W9. Also, temperature status on the purifier chamber."

"A steady, 140 Kelvins, sir."

"Excellent," Engram enthusiastically let out. The large machine in the isolated room began to vibrate and rumble, and liquid from both chambers began to flow into the middle container, mixing as they fell inside of each others' puddles. "Excellent, excellent," Engram repeated to himself over and over, hysterical laughter beginning to settle in. "Now, begin heating the centre chamber." As another scientist pony began to press a series of buttons, a monitor from the wall behind Doctor Engram began to flash bright red with white coloured text that read, "WARNING!"

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Cinnamon swirls. Icing. A heated oven. The scent of the sugary treat entered Pale's nostrils, and she twitched a few times in response. Her eyes remained shut as she slowly moved her left front hoof, feeling the surface she lay on. It was soft and fuzzy. It smelled like air freshener trying to cover up the smell of body odor. Pale shook her head in disgust and sat up, slowly allowing her eyes to open. She blinked a few times to force her eyes to focus on the sight before her. In front of her was the grey stallion pegasus from the previous day, behind a teeny kitchen counter. Ingredients and miscellaneous cooking tools lay scattered about the counter, and that cinnamon swirl scent only confirmed the goods he was making. Pale kept her steady, straight face as usual, and the grey pegasus before her turned his head and smiled warmly at her.

"Now, what kind of face is that?" the stallion asked jokingly. "That's no way to greet someone who took you in and kept you out of the cold, now is it?" Pale kept her gaze hard and steady, and the grey pegasus simply let out a light-hearted laugh. After a few moments, the grey stallion broke the silence. "They're almost done. Would you like one? Two?" Pale only responded with a blink, then took the time to look around the room. There were no windows and everything was cramped together. There was no television, radio, phone, or anything that could let in information about events that took place outside of this room. The couch she sat on was an ugly tan and brown mix with rips and tears all over, stuffing leaking out from the pillows. There was an open styled kitchen with aged, cracking white countertops, and with filthy, moldy white tile to match. There was a bed with messy tan, stained sheets to her right, sitting openly in the room without any separation from the questionable living area she sat in at the moment. There was only one door, which was to her left and up a small inclined ramp, and she assumed it to lead directly outside.

"What is this place?" Pale inquired, resetting her eyes back onto him. The stallion remained silent and reached into the oven after a few seconds to retrieve the sweet, sugary treats. He drew in a deepened breath and exhaled in preparation, retrieving Pale and himself a cinnamon swirl onto a cheap, small dish. He walked on his two hind hooves and carried the dishes to the couch and made himself comfortable next to Pale, most likely too close for her to feel anything but comfortable.

"A safehouse, Pale," the stallion began, "I've brought you here for a reason. You'd probably like to know what's been going on, am I right?" Pale simply kept her head turned and her eyes focused on his as she leaned her elbows on her knees, her left hoof resting on her cheek, half covering her snout. The grey pegasus brought in that warm smile of his once again. "There's not much I can tell you, but I'm sure you can get some answers from your father."

"What can you tell me?" Pale hastily spoke after him.

"What is it you would like to know?"

"How about a name?"

"Elliot Hayner."

"And you expect me to believe that?" Pale furrowed her brow. The supposed "Elliot" let his smile fade and his expression was now one of guilt and worry.

"My real name isn't important to you, Pale. Elliot will do." Pale sat up in a more proper manner and reached down for her untouched cinnamon swirl. She blinked at it a few times, unsure of whether or not it was poisoned with something. Just then, Elliot leaned his head forward and dug himself a bite into her cinnamon swirl as a symbol of its safety. Pale turned her head and stared at the stallion chomping away, still a bit uneasy, but despite this, she reached her hoof up to her mouth and took out a monstrosity of a bite.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight shrieked. She had only just teleported into the grand hall of the Canterlot Castle, the glow of her spell still lingering in a glittery wonder around her purple build. Her majesty stood with her back faced towards her pupil, her eyes squinted tightly in extreme focus.

"Twilight," Celestia began, "There is a very powerful force afoot. It has yet to be determined evil or good, but for the safety of the citizens of Equestria, we must assume this power is that of evil." Twilight Sparkle tensed herself up at the presence of these words, and her heart began to pound a mighty beat. "You must acquire the Elements of Harmony once more and finish off this foe before true danger besets all of Equestria. This being is not one who wields magical powers, but one who, very well, can be something even more incredible. Go, and gather your friends. Prepare yourselves for a battle of immense proportions."

"But Princess," Twilight forced her voice to squeak out, "what does this thing look like?" Celestia turned herself around slowly.

"She is a mare whom wears a coat the palest of blues. A mare whom keeps her mane a dim pink, with a set of eyes to match. She has a mask of which is blank, and a soul that can't be moved the slightest." Twilight shifted her eyes downwards and to the left, picturing the mysterious mare she had hardly gotten to know, Pale. Celestia's brow rose to this. "Is there a mare that you know fits this description?"

"O-oh, no, Princess!" Twilight panicked, "I was just trying to remember what you'd said she looks like!" Celestia squinted her eyes even further in analyzation. After a few moments, Celestia stood herself in greater posture, holding her head up high.

"I see. Very well, Twilight Sparkle. Now, make haste and gather your friends. This task needs to be done as quickly as possible!"

"Yes, Princess!" Twilight responded. She turned herself and began to sprint. Her horn began to glow as a portal appeared right before her, and as she stepped through, it vanished behind her. Celestia looked off into the distance, through a large, circular window pane.

"Be safe, Twilight sparkle."

Comments ( 2 )

cant wait for the next chapter when is it? Also shame on you Celestia because Pale has done nothing wrong except defend herself I hope the elements fail :twilightsmile:

821402
I'll be posting a little more regularly after, well, now. My birthday was just around, and vacation, and summer school... Just tons of stuff. Probably going to be typing up another one or two chapters right after I post this comment. :raritywink:

Login or register to comment