• Published 28th Apr 2016
  • 2,009 Views, 7 Comments

A Chink in the Armor - Nickel Alloy



Gleaming Shield notices her brother's boyfriend. Like, notices.

  • ...
17
 7
 2,009

Genderbent Version (again)

Author's Note:

This was a gift from The Castaway Pariah, to genderbend this AGAIN. Thanks so much! :pinkiehappy::raritywink::twilightsmile::yay::derpytongue2::rainbowkiss::ajsmug::eeyup::twistnerd:

"I'm breaking up with Flare Warden," announced Twilight Sparkle.

Shining Armor nearly choked on his hayburger. "Excuse me? You're dumping Flare Warden? Why?"

"She's not right for me," Twilight stated. "She's not focused on books and she pays too much attention to her job. I like an attentive marefriend. Plus, she's decided she's not actually lesbian."

"Good thing you're not together. And as for an attentive marefriend? Like you're going to get that around here," Shining mumbled around a fry. "You miiiiiight want to go back to Ponyville for an attentive marefriend."

Twilight glowered. "I will go back to Ponyville. I'm only in Canterlot for a week. And I've got my eye on Pinkie Pie, although I'm not sure she's lesbian, either."

"Can we talk about something else?" Shining asked, shifting in his seat. "The sexualities of your friends aren't exactly my favorite topic."

Twilight smiled politely and changed the subject to politics, a subject that Shining, the captain of the Royal Guard, was completely familiar with.


"Bye, Twily!" Shining called. Twilight waved back and then turned her attention back to the boatload of ensembles in front of her. The train conductor was glaring at Twilight's friend Rarity, who smiled sheepishly and pushed her array of dresses into the carriage. Shining grinned and turned away. He had work to do -- mainly, assembling the rotations for the week.

At his office, after doing some other unfinished junk, Shining Armor pondered over what to scribble down on the little sheet. Morning Street Patrol...hmm... definitely those two, and maybe them, and her. City Edge/Train Station...gah, Shining didn't know. Him, and those three, and her, and the twins, Gladios and Bustdragon. Canterlot Palace...this was the tough one. Well, Shining had to write his name down, because that was his usual station. But he needed other guards. Speared Thrash would be there...she was good. That great beauty of a guard, too. (Shit, he didn't remember her name.) Who else....? By sheer whim, Shining wrote Flare Warden on the list. No, it wasn't because Flare was hot, and Shining would get to work with her all day. Flare was a good worker. A good guard.

And it's true -- she was hot. But it wasn't in Shining Armor's job description to get attached to his guards.

Shining Armor wrote some other random names down and shoved the paper aside. He needed to stretch his legs. He needed fresh air. He needed....combat training. Who cared if it wasn't that time of day? Smoldering Gaze was the best combat trainer ever, and she was always at the gym.

When Shining Armor got there, he signed in on the little notepad and walked into the area. He nodded to Speared Thrash, who greeted him with a simple "yo" before splitting a seam in a punching bag with her hoof. Then he glanced over to the sparring section, where Smoldering Gaze was spearfighting with none other than Flare Warden, in full guard getup. Shining shook out his mane and trotted over.

"Hey, Smolder," he said nonchalantly to the larger of the two mares.

"Wassup, Shining?" Burning Gaze said. "Just lemme finish with dis gal." She twirled her spear, pushing against Flare with the side and toppling her onto her back, where Burn held the tip of the spear an inch above Flare's breastplate.

"Nice as always," Shining said. "My turn." He went over to the weapons rack, bumping into Flare on the way.

"Hi, Captain," Flare said, ducking her head. "Nice day for sparring."

"That it is," Shining agreed. He chose a dagger from the weapons rack and flipped it in his hoof. Flare whistled.

"Hard to fight with one of those things," Flare murmured.

Shining said nothing, but stepped into the arena. Smolder flexed her muscles and cracked her neck, before drawing a dagger of her own. A split second later, she had lunged straight at Shining. Shining sidestepped and parried, getting in Smolder's face. A few short strokes later, Shining had nearly succeeded in pushing Smolder over. He aimed a heavy swing at Smolder's head, she ducked, and he used the distraction to pin her down with one hoof, the dagger pinpointed on Smolder's chin. She chuckled.

"Nice as always, Captain."

Shining shrugged. "All in a day's work, I suppose. It's in my job description."

"Yeah, dose daggers are mighty short. Hard to spar with. Ya hafta get in yah opponent's face, if ya know what I mean." Smolder slid the dagger back onto the weapons rack. "Why don't you two spar? I gotta go eat somethin'. A personal trainer's gotta eat too, ya know!" She trotted away without looking back, leaving Flare Warden with a half-on helmet and Shining Armor with his hoof placed on a longsword. They stared at each other awkwardly until Shining broke the silence.

"Do you want to try the longswords? They're heavy, I warn you." Shining brushed his hoof along one of them.

"Uh..OK, Captain," Flare said, taking off her helmet and going to pick up a simple sword. She brushed Shining's hoof with her own as she moved. Shining bit his lip and drew his hoof away. Flare immediately noticed. "Sorry, Captain."

Shining brushed the comment away. "You don't need to call me Captain, Flare. We're off duty." He walked into the ring. "Let's spar."


"I can't believe I lost," Flare muttered. "Four times."

"Hey," Shining said, bumping his shoulder with hers. "You did well. I'm the captain because I'm good, not because my sister's the Element of Magic."

Flare grinned. "You're not mad at me...right? Because Twilight broke up with me?"

"It's fine, honey," Shining said. "I'm not mad. And you can talk to me about anything."

Flare sighed. "To tell you the truth, my love life is shit. Because it's nonexistent. Glad and Bust have those two mares...Speared Thrash got together with that cute orange stallion...even Clip has a marefriend. And I seriously just broke up with the Element of Magic because I'm not lesbian. If I was, I'd go back to that mare in a heartbeat."

Shining listened to Flare's rant, eyes wide. He swallowed.

"Flare..."

Flare looked away. "I know it's awkward to discuss this with my captain, I get it. But I kinda needed someone to talk to. Thanks for that."

Shining put a hoof on Flare's shoulder. Flare looked up.

"Hey, Flare. I know our relationship has been strictly professional...and I know what I just said was horribly cliché..." Shining gulped, trying not to look at Flare but instead at his hooves. "But I was wondering. Maybe sometime...you could go out with me?" Flare stepped back, and Shining hurried to continue. "I swear I'm not making fun of you. But I guess I've had my eye on you for a while. So what do you say?"

Flare finally looked up at Shining and he forced himself to look back, color flooding his cheeks.

"I guess..." said Flare thoughtfully. "It wouldn't hurt. OK, it's a deal. How about Friday night?"

"OK! We can go out to dinner or something... and I have season tickets to the Canterlot Changelings team. Want to go?"

"Sure," Flare said brightly. "See you Friday...."

Shining Armor started towards the door. He stopped and looked back when he heard Flare again.

"...Shining."

Shining turned back and trotted outside. He could have sworn it wasn't him who put a light spring in his step.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment