• Published 11th Apr 2016
  • 3,219 Views, 193 Comments

Rogue Chaos - FrostTheWolf



The Rogues of the Detritus Rings try to raise a infant Discord while fighting to survive and protect the last star in the universe from the Varelsi. This is either going to be good... or drive everyone insane.

  • ...
9
 193
 3,219

PreviousChapters Next
Demon Bear & Dreams

Author's Note:

So... with this chapter, I decided to take a bit of a different approach to how it would be done. Unlike the last two chapters based on Story Ops missions, which had multiple playthroughs, this one only has one playthrough... but it's for an important reason. It's to drive more of the story and also to answer one of the main questions when it comes to Pwny-verse stories... How do they get back to Equestria?

Also, like previous chapters before it, if you can spot the references, you get a cookie.
-Frost

Rogue Chaos- Demon Bear & Dreams


Tempest- Quietus

In the last few hours, things were not going particularly well for the ‘self appointed morale officer’ that was known by the rest of the Battleborn as Montana. Originally, he and Nova were doing a simple retrieval mission out by the refinery village of Quietus on Tempest… But because of Varelsi Portal interference while they were traveling, the ship that they were on (Which was named ‘The Brothership’ since at the time, it was the place where Oscar Mike first saw each others as ‘bros’. Something that continues to this day…) crash landed and was now in need of repairs. Something that would take Nova a long time in order to be able to configure on her own.

The good news though was that there were a few other Battleborn that were within the vicinity of the crash that could keep Montana company. The bad news though was that none of them knew how to repair the ship or lend Nova a hand. This included Alani, Boldur, Thorn and Shayne & Aurox. Deande was also another Battleborn that Nova had detected on Tempest at the time, but it turned out that when Nova sent the distress signal to all of the present Battleborn, she got an automatic reply from Deande that read “Currently overseeing Constable Cuddles’ walkies with his caretaker”. Which seemed more like a fancy way of saying no thank you.

As of now though… the only thing that it seemed like Montana and the rest of the Battleborn were doing was sitting by a campfire, roasting marshmallows and in the case of Montana himself… telling stories. And despite their current situation, he seemed to be enjoying this a lot. “Ahhhh, this is the life! Fresh air, the outdoors, sitting around a campfire and telling stories.”

Of course, that was when Alani was squishing a marshmallow through her fingers and pointed out something to him. “Um… you’ve just been pointing out individual muscles on your chest and been giving them names…”

“Well, you just made Hector the Pectoral sad, but okay… also, didn’t I just tell you the story of ‘The Insidious Crab of Thundernight Bay’?” He asked them.

“You mean the one where Boldur already knew that the monster was the old groundskeeper the whole time and we had to explain to Alani what a groundskeeper was?” Shayne grumbled, before letting out a deep breath. “Been there, done that.” Of course, it was only a few seconds later that Discord just happened to appear out of nowhere and land on her lap. But before anyone could say anything, they realized that the young draconequus was actually asleep. Possibly tired out because of him overusing his chaos abilities.

“Hey, what’s the deal? I thought you guys liked that story.” He asked, sounding rather puzzled. Of course, it wasn’t that Shayne really enjoyed the story. She just was not entirely a big fan of the current situation they were in… and more importantly, where they were at this present moment in time.

“I’m just tired of being out in this dumb… nature,” She stated, while cautiously looking at Thorn and Boldur before thinking of another question in order to say to avoid saying anything else that would be rather stupid. “How long until Nova is fixed?”

“Pretty sure it shouldn’t be that much longer now-.” He told her in response, before something else came to his mind and he decided to actually speak up on the thought he had. Even though right now, Shayne was seriously thinking about taking a nap instead of listening to him. “Hey! Now that I think of it, I got a story that none of you heard before! And the crazy part about this one is that it actually happened. Prepare yourself… for the Tale of the Demon Bear.”


When Discord woke up, he found himself not with Shayne & Aurox and the other Battleborn sitting around a campfire that he was hearing, but instead found himself in what looked like an open clearing. Things looked rather dark and spooky along with the sight of several grave markers nearby. Though… despite all of this, there was one thing that he did not expect to hear and that was actually Montana speaking. “Now… It all started when Nova said…

“Great job picking up that lost pirate gold, Montana,” Discord heard out of nowhere. Causing him to look around and try to find where Nova was, only to not see her anywhere. “I’ll pick you up in that totally abandoned village. Be careful, we don’t want to pick up any Jennerit attention.”

That… just had the draconequus groan to himself, facepalming as he realized what was going on. “Oh great… this is one of those ‘dream sequences’ isn’t it?” he asked, only for his question to fall on the sounds of an eerie music soundtrack and also what sounded like owls in the distance. “Well, that answers my question I think.”

In Discord’s mind, he decided to play along… because to him, the faster he went through this, the faster he could be able to do something that was important (and to him, relevant to the story). However, seeing numerous spiky vines, dead trees, massive monster bones, a creepy clock tower and a bridge over a ravine really did not set well with him and caused him to have a shiver run down his back.

Yet, it was as he was walking up the hill, that was when he saw Nova’s ship… beginning to crash down. “Montana, something’s gone wrong! I’ve lost my processing core, only you can save me!!”

S-save her, Montana!” He now heard Alani say. Only for one other Eldrid to speak up too.

Child, it is not happening at this very moment.

“Oh hey, it’s Katniss!” Discord recognized Thorn’s voice as he was approaching the bridge. Just before he realized something else. “Oh right… Dream sequence. They can’t hear me… Bummer.”

Shh, I want to see what happens!” Alani hushed out Thorn, really eager to hear the next part of the story as the barrier that was at the front of the bridge dropped. Allowing for him to cross. Of course, for Discord right now, he seemed to only have two main objectives. Which… happened to show up in his peripheral vision as a bulleted list.

  • Rescue Nova
  • Find a way to Nova

“Hunh… has that always been there? I think I’ve only noticed that now.” Discord mumbled to himself, upon reaching a clearing that had a gate near the top of a hill. Though just as he approached it… Montana began to add more to the story.

Suddenly I was ambushed by Varelsi Zombies…

And oddly enough, Discord had the same reaction as Alani when a couple of them just spawned out of nowhere. “AHH!!”

Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. Uh, I meant they were… robots!” Immediately, the Varelsi that did spawn disappeared in a puff of smoke before being replaced with a series of robots throughout the courtyard. Of course, they weren’t anything new compared to the ones that he had fought before on numerous occasions, so there wasn’t really any new strategies that he needed to do.

Taking them down was one thing. But of course, the next thing he needed to do was find a way to get inside. And this village had a rather huge front door. “Well, I guess I should just knock on it and see what happens,” He thought to himself, before proceeding to bang on the door. “Hello? Anypony home?”

That was when I heard the most butt-clenchingest sound imaginable,” The draconequus heard Montana narrate again, even though ‘butt-clenchingest’ wasn’t really a word that you would find in the dictionary. “It was the Howl… of the DEMON BEAR!! ‘Rrrawghgh!’ Heh-heh-heh.

Around the same time was when Discord himself had a look at the Varelsi Demon Bear that stood atop the gate and let out it’s own howl. Shortly before grabbing what looked like Nova’s processing core and taking off. The sound of the door being blown open came after along with a warning from Nova. “Watch out, the Jennerit have found us… Without my processing core, I’m not a great shot… but let’s try anyway. Missile incoming.”

It was only a few feet after getting through the door that Discord was greeted by more Jennerit Thrall as he conjured up Rath’s blades and began to fight his way through them. Though, despite the fact that he was expecting some kind of missile to land nearby… nothing really happened. “Whoops. Did I blow you up? If not, try and activate those targeting beacons so I can take down that hover tank.”

“Wait, they got a hover tank!?” Discord asked, looking around frantically to try and find it as well as the targeting beacons to take it down. “How is that fair!? … Oh wait, hang on…” That just lead to Discord doing a hand sign that looked like a plus symbol as two doppelgangers of himself came into view. “Both of you, find those targeting beacons and take these guys down now! They want to take our chocolate milk!!”

“Those ANIMALS!!” One of the clones yelled out, dawning a superhero like appearance and dawning the same missile launchers that Kid Ultra would use. “In the name of Justice… and Fluttershy, I will not let this stand!!”

“Yeah, what he said!” The second clone yelled out, before pulling out something from out of nowhere that resembled a hand grenade as he threw it into a crowd of Thrall Gunners. “Hot potato! Heads up!!”

As the hand grenade went off, Clone number one and the real Discord both went in opposite directions. For the targeting beacons they were all searching for were all on different corners of the village they were in. So, with Clone number two attracting the attention of the majority of the thrall that were in the area, the other two were getting the beacons online and making sure Nova could pick up the signal… well, more likely just following along with Montana’s story.

As Discord got the last beacon online, both clones disappeared as he dismissed both of Rath’s blades for Galilea's sword and shield. Just as he heard Nova speak up on his progress. “All targeting beacons online. Now, get to that central targeting computer so I can take down the hover tank.”

Discord himself… was already at the central targeting computer while Nova was speaking and all he needed to do was press a button. Yet, the confirmation hearing from the Magnus AI was… not what he thought it would be. “Target acquired… I hope.”

“Wait, what do you mean ‘I hope’-!?”

“Missiles away, en route to target.” That left Discord only seconds to duck for cover before a series of rockets flew in and shot down the Jennerit Hover Tank as it crashed through what looked like a village library and busting a rather huge hole in the entrance. “I’ll take that enormous kaboom to mean it worked. Go get my core back. Hurry.”

Haha! Yeah, eat it library!!” Discord then heard Shayne say out of the blue… while also thinking of something regarding an exploding tree house.

Hey! Reading is fun!

Thank you Montana, it is good to see book club expanding your mind.” Thorn soon commented after that, just as Discord was actually entering the library. Just as the Demon Bear was on the other side of it… and ran away shortly after seeing him.

“Hey! Where do you think you’re going?!”

The Demon Bear, seeing my awesome might and righteous fury… ran away like a total sissy!

That is most un-bearlike behavior!” Boldur declared. But his comments were soon tuned out by two things. One, the massive chasm that was in front of Discord. Two, Nova telling him about said-chasm.

“Looks like the bear ran into that old sap refinery on the other side,” She informed Discord as he began to think of a way to get across. “That chasm is too wide to jump, you’ll have to-”

Before she could finish though, that was when Discord leaped into the air and used a rather… familiar umbrella that he had used once before when crossing the chasm that lead to ISIC’s domain in that bliss mining colony. This time though, his tone was rather different. “I’m Mary Poppins y’all!!” And by the time he was across, he was whacking at one of the old tree’s with a pickaxe and busting out what looked like a blueprint in order to build a bridge that would lead him across to the next landing area. And while this was happening, he heard something else.

“There’s one of her cubs! Get it.”

“Wait, this bear is a she…?” Discord asked, before thinking something. “I would ask how that makes sense… but what’s the fun in making sense?” Of course, saying that had him shiver for a moment and shake his head before taking a moment to think about what he just said. “Wow, that was the weirdest sense of deja’ vu I had throughout this entire story.”

The draconequus continued on for the next few sections in this same manner. Cross platforms, kill enemies, harvest resources, build a bridge and repeat. Well, at least that was for the next two floating pieces of land. Because around the end of the path as he continued to chase the cub, one part had him screech to a halt.

Most specifically… when the cub jumped through a Varelsi Portal. And what Nova said afterwards. “Looks like the cub forgot to close the portal behind it. Go ahead, jump in.”

“Um… is this really the only way to get around? Because I had a bit of a bad experience the last time I was in one of those things.” Yet, the only answer that he got was through an update on his objective marker.

  • Find the Demon Bear
  • Follow the cub
  • Cross through the portal (Yes, you must do it)

Discord gulped at seeing the last part… before having to suck it up as he looked back at it. “Well… here goes nothing!” Backing up for a moment, he soon charged in head first, before appearing on the other side, where he landed at the entrance to the ‘sap refinery’ that Nova had mentioned earlier. And luckily for him, the objectives on his tracker changed.

  • Rescue Nova
  • Get into the Bear's Lair

And then of course, things got weird for a moment. “Damn… she blocked the path behind her. Okay! Think Nova,” And just as some more Jennerit and Varelsi began to show up, the Magnus AI offered an idea for Discord to pass the time. “Kill all those guys while I think. Vicarious Murder always helps me when I think.”

💀 New Objective: Kill enemies while Nova thinks

“That’s… pretty straightforward.” Discord said, just as he conjured a pair of Ghalt’s shotguns and began to open fire on a few Thrall and Varelsi that were closing in on him. Blowing them to smithereens before tossing them aside and summoning Oscar Mike’s assault rifle now to blow up some more foes with the attached grenade launcher mechanism on the weapon.

At one point when he was fighting, things seemed… hopeful when he heard Nova begin to speak… but that hope did not last for two seconds before indecisiveness kicked in. “We could… No, Nova. That wouldn’t work. Keep killing, I’ll think of something.”

💀 New Objective: Continue to kill enemies while Nova thinks

“Yay, more fun for me!” The draconequus proclaimed as he re-conjured the sword and shield of Galilea again and began to throw his shield at one thrall’s head while slice up a varelsi with the sword. All before having to roll out of a way of an incoming thrall enforcer with a minigun. “Oh hey, I haven’t seen one of you guys in a while. I think the last time we did was when we did the away mission with Nova and hacked Tempest. Ah, the memories…”

When Discord was talking to himself… and finishing up with taking down the last few enemies there were in the area, Nova herself finally realized what she could do now.

“Ooh! I can probably interface with that sapping drill over there remotely… Stand back.” That was when he saw sparks fly in a circular pattern as he heard the sound of drills on the other side break through what looked to be an old tree that was blocking the way forward. And once it penetrated through the old bark, it allowed the spirit of chaos a passageway inside. “Hey, that actually worked! Woo-hoo!”

“Cool, now we can go get this thing done and-” Unfortunately though, Discord was interrupted once again by Montana’s narration… which was something he was really getting to be annoyed by with how frequently he had been doing it for the last few minutes… even though he was the narrator of the story.

I was finally ready to face my demons… both the bear and the actual metaphor and stuff…” He said… but there was one thing that Discord heard afterwards that surprised him. “Wait… what happened to Shayne?

Spiky haired teen fell asleep waiting for you to get to fight! Hurry up and do it!!” Boldur abruptly announced, just as Discord looked to see one major drop in front of him… and watch the Demon Bear leap on down. To him, this meant that this was where the boss fight was going to be. And he didn’t need Nova to tell him what to do next before he leaped into the fray like it was a holonet action movie.

Of course… seeing the demon bear himself had the fur on his neck rise up almost extremely high.

“Holy mother of Solus, what is that thing!!?” He shouted, before conjuring Ernest’s grenade launcher and trying to blow it up. Yet, the monster itself remained… unfazed. “Oh come on, seriously!? How did…… Oh right, Boss Monster… I almost forgot about that… Wait, if that didn’t work, then how am I supposed to-?”

However, his thought process was interrupted once the bear lunged at him, swiping with his claws and forcing Discord to try and put some distance between him and the bear. Rocks from the ceiling also fell down though as one narrowly missed his head.

“Well, you’re definitely not alone down there-.”

“Oh really now, what made you think of that, genius!?!” The Draconequus snapped.

“Hang on, I’ll see if I can help.” Nova replied, while ignoring Discord’s rant as he was using Shayne’s boomerang now in order to damage it from far away since the bear seemed to be rather vicious up close. Then there was the fact that the bear was doing two things that he saw as annoying. First, some of the rocks that fell from the ceiling… were being thrown at his direction by the Demon Bear. Second, the bear was also opening up a Varelsi portal in order to summon more of it’s cubs. And the last thing that Discord really wanted to deal with was having to fight both the cubs and the bear too.

Then… there was the moment where he thought he was damaging her… but then it somehow shielded himself and disappeared. That… and more cubs. “Picking up multiple lifeform signatures, and they’re adorable… watch out anyway.”

“Just… how can these voidspawns be see as adorable?! How!!?” He snapped, before realizing that a huge Varelsi gate was opening up and letting more cubs inside. Before… he thought of an idea.

Using his Chaos magic, he summoned what looked to be a barrel full of salmon as he threw it into the portal, making the cubs chase it back to where they belonged before throwing a second barrel. This one being full of TNT as he pressed the button and had the portal collapse on itself from the inside. Eliminating the cubs and only one of Discord’s problems.

The other problem being Mama Bear… and right now, she was extremely pissed at him. But fortunately… it seemed like Nova had a plan now. “That bear is back from the void… and with a shiny new coat. If you can get the bear to run into one of the drill heads upstairs, that can weaken the shield.”

“Wait… so like a bait and switch plan?”

“Exactly,” She said, before getting a little too carried away when Discord teleported to the second floor and stood on one of the activation pads. “This is a drill. HA!”

Discord, instead of responding back to Nova’s lame pun, actually focused on the task at hand. Conjuring a doppelganger at one of the drill pads and having that clone disappear just before the bear would reach them. Leaving that bear to hit the drill and also leaving it vulnerable to attacks as he gave it everything he got while the bear was stunned. However, when the bear woke up, the ground began to shake underneath him and more of the boulders from earlier were beginning to crash down on him.

Of course, even though Discord really did not want to do such a tedious plan twice… the bear left him with no other options. He was in the middle of using Rath’s blades to perform the Jennerit swordman’s ‘Dreadwind’ technique, only for the bear to reapply it’s ‘void coating’ and make it invulnerable to his attacks. Forcing the draconequus to rinse and repeat the bait and switch plan with the drills to make it vulnerable again so he can be able to finish it off properly… and in style by conjuring a orb of magic and hurling it forward like a bomb. Exploding on impact as Discord walked away from the explosion with a pair of shades on his face.

“Great work, and thanks for getting my core back… I’m detecting a teleporter nearby. I’ll send you a waypoint.” Of course, when Discord originally heard that… he thought it would get him to the end of the mission and into where he would find all the loot and spoils at the end of it. However, he was really concerned about the fact that he had to go through another Varelsi portal.

But… after looking back at it… he thought he heard a voice. And when he inched closer, his foot accidentally sent him flying through the portal.


???

When the draconequus began to wake up, he found himself in a place… that was definitely not where he was before. In fact, it felt like he was standing on an endless void as he looked all around him. This… almost felt like the inside of a Varelsi portal… but something about it was not the same.

“Discord?” The sound of his name being called soon had him turn to his right, realizing that he was seeing Shayne not that far away. “Oh man… for a moment, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.”

“Mom? What are we doing here?” He asked, sounding cautious… but also rather confused because of their current predicament.

“That… I’m not so sure about. In fact, it feels weird not having Aurox right behind me,” She stated, looking behind her to see that nothing was there. Before noticing something as she pointed behind Aurox. “Um… Discord? Do you possibly know who they are?”

Immediately, Discord looked around and his eyes widened immensely. In front of him stood two equines. Ponies from his homeworld. One in which was a pegasus and looked exactly like the plushie that Whiskey Foxtrot had… the other was a pony that had a horn, wings and a mane & tail that looked like the night sky while also having a cutie mark of a crescent moon.

Naturally… He only had one response to seeing them. “Fluttershy! Hot Topic princess!”

Which, made Shayne facepalm herself in the process. “Not exactly the response I thought you would do…”

“Well, seems your… creative nicknames haven't left you, Discord.” ‘Hot Topic princess’ replied with an annoyed groan. “Seems my little gift to the one called ‘Whiskey Foxtrot’ has worked.”

“Hehe, I thought it was cute.” Fluttershy added.

That, had Shayne blink for a moment before speaking up. “Wait… you made that? More to the point though… who are you and where are we?”

“I am Princess Luna of Equestria. And right now, we are in the dream realm; my domain.” The princess answered. “I’m using all of my strength as we speak, so we don't have much time right now. As much as it pains me to say it, Discord, we REALLY need you… bad.”

“Um… You do realize this is a rated T fic, right?” Discord asked.

“I think she means that she needs our help…” Shayne spoke up, before looking back at Luna. “You do mean that, right?”

“... Eh, I suppose you can join. You and your… demon and… others.”

“Oh sweet, I can bring the big guy too?” Shayne replied, before looking back at Discord. Who was now wearing his Rogue jacket that she gave him.

“Family road trip!!!”

“You see her as your mom?” Fluttershy asked. “D’AWWW!!! That's so cute!”

“Well, I literally did have to raise him…” The teen told her, before looking back at them. “When I found him, he was only like three years old… and over the time that we fought back against Rendain, he grew up and is now… mostly the one you remember… Remember that ‘demon’ you were mentioning, Ms. Luna?”

“Yes.” She replied before pulling out a Necromancy book. “I can get rid of him if you want.”

“No, it’s not that… first, he’s a Guanyota. Not a demon… Secondly, if I’m the mom… Aurox is seen as Papa. Whiskey is Grandpa, Reyna is Grandma, Toby… or a penguin in a freaking mech suit is the uncle and Orendi’s… well…”

“Crazy auntie!!” Discord said, impersonating her and making Luna a bit uncomfortable. Especially since he changed not just his arms, but his voice and appearance to match that of Orendi.

“Yeah… we’re a bunch of Rogues… when you meet the rest of the Battleborn, you would be rather surprised by the… diversity of everybody.” She replied back, before scratching the back of her head. Then… she realized something. “Wait… if you need our help, then how in the world are we suppose to find you?”

“Discord will know!” Fluttershy answered with excitement. “Isn't that right, Dissy? You can find me oh so well, especially when it's our Tuesday Tea parties.”

Discord tilted his head in confusion for a moment… not understanding what Fluttershy was saying.

“I have cucumber sandwiches.” Fluttershy Spoke.

“CUCUMBER SANDWICHES!!!”

“Well, that’s one way to motivate him I guess…” Shayne sighed… before everyone else soon began to hear something else as a familiar presence soon returned behind Shayne.

“Okay, Shayne? What’s going on-” Aurox said… shortly before realizing what he just showed up in. “...... Please tell me that I’m seeing things.”

“No, this is real, big guy.” The teen told him.

“Papa!” Discord happily cheered. Unfortunately, for Fluttershy, she zipped behind Luna while the princess was holding out that same necromancy book and then yelling in an extremely loud voice.

“THE POWER OF FAUST COMPELS YOU!!”

Yet… it was not very effective when it came to Aurox. “Um… what?”

“Luna over there thinks you are a demon…” Shayne replied. “Even though I told her that you aren’t.”

“… You do realize that just because I look like a demon doesn’t mean that I am one… right?” Yet, even though his question had good intentions behind it, all it did was lead to what looked like a small container of ‘holy water’ being thrown at him. Only for it to… again, not be very effective. “I’m a Guanyota…”

“Big guy, I really don’t think they know what that is.” Shayne added.

“A demon!” Luna continued to scream as she prepared what looked like… a toaster and a piece of jelly toast.

“Hey hey hey!! Can we calm down the exorcist stuff for like… two minutes? You’re wasting good toast!” Discord stated, trying to get Luna to calm down. “Besides, we were trying to learn how to find you guys… and the ship’s being repaired right now.”

“Nova’s almost done with repairs…” Aurox then grumbled. Even though that did sound good for a minute, it still did not help the fact that they were trying to find the needle (that was Discord’s home in this instance) in the overly huge haystack that was the universe.

“I’m sure Discord will remember where to go,” Fluttershy told them softly. “After all, I did tell Discord I have-”

“CUCUMBER SANDWICHES!!”

There was a bit of silence for a moment as Shayne and Aurox looked back at one another, while also looking at Discord. That was… until the teen said something that caught the attention of both Luna and Fluttershy. “Well, we have done crazier things before that have almost got us killed back on Bliss and Ekkunar… What’s the worst that could happen?”

Hearing that had the eyes of both Fluttershy and Luna widen immensely. “What……?”

“It’s… a rather long story,” Shayne sighed, before promising something else. “I will make sure to share you the whole story once we’re able to find you.”

“I’ll… be looking forward to it then…” Luna told them as the surrounding area that was the dream began to fade away. “However… for now, we must say goodbye… Until we meet again, Discord. We’ll be waiting for you back in Equestria.”


PreviousChapters Next