• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 3,287 Views, 119 Comments

I'm No Legend - Short Stories



Twilight gets amnesia. Oddly specific amnesia.

  • ...
10
 119
 3,287

What's One More?

"Black mane, black mane....I know so many evil doers with a black mane." Twilight paused, feeling odd to have said that so certainly. "Apparently." She added, "but I need my lab supplies. This castle is so huge, I'd probably get lost just trying to find the bathroom..." She paused again and looked around nervously, wondering if it would be better if she went back to her old home and got her DNA lab supplies, or if she should wait until Spike and Scootaloo got home. She felt increasingly guilty about leaving behind in the city. After some more thought, she decided it would be wisest to leave a note, in case they came back, informing them of her whereabouts. She'd teleport back to Canterlot, more specifically, to Celestia's room to see if they were still there. If not, she'd go to her old room, grab her supplies, then teleport back home. Happy that she finally had a plan, she went down the hall in search of a piece of paper and quill.

Once the note was finished, she teleported away. Little did she know, a draft from somewhere in the building whisked the paper off the table and made it land on the floor, blank-side up.

~*~

An hour later, Spike and Scootaloo arrived outside of the castle, about to go in when they heard somepony frantically calling out their names. "That sounds like--" Scootaloo said, not being able to finish her sentence because Sweetie Belle slammed into the small pegasus at full force, causing the two to tumble over each other before hitting the base of a tree. They fell apart, completely dazed, Spike walking over to them to see if they were okay.

"We're fine," Sweetie said as Spike helped her up, "I guess I don't know my own speed...sorry, Scootaloo..." Scootaloo smiled, brushing off the incident with ease. "I came down here to tell you..." Sweetie breathed, her heart still racing from what had happened. "That I...wanted to help you."

"What about the boutique?" Spike asked, "I--I mean, I'm glad you're helping, but--"

Sweetie smiled, passing by both of them on her way to the castle doors. "I switched the open sign to closed. Can't believe I didn't notice that before..." She looked at Spike with earnesty as she held open the castle doors. "So, you'll let me help?"

Spike grinned, walking up to the castle steps. "'Course, why not?" He said as he and Scootaloo walked through the castle doors. Sweetie beamed and followed after them, closing the door behind.


Twilight appeared back at Celestia's room, cringed at the mess once more. She was so used to having seen it neat and tidy when she had been in there multiple times that the new sight just made her skin crawl at what had happened. She nervously looked from left to right, wondering if she should clean the mess up now; she knew for certain that it was illegal to mess with a crime scene, but, at the same time, the small amount of OCD she had was practically screaming at her to fix the mess.

Why it was bothering her now, she couldn't tell. Probably because, last time she had been here, not only a few short minutes ago, she was in a trance most of the time and too tired to notice anything afterwards. She decided to not mess with anything, closed her eyes and quickly teleported away before she could change her mind. Even then, there was a small urge to go back and pick up.

She looked around her old house, surprised it wasn't as dusty as she imagined it to be. She willed another memory to take over, but none came. Huh, she thought, maybe nothing happened here within two years...that I was here for, anyway. She took a hoof step forward, the floor creaking under her weight. She continued until she was downstairs and headed for a hallway that branched towards her old kitchen. Once there, she took a right and arrived at her old lab.

Yet, when she got there, she found it was completely empty. Stunned at first, was she, but then figured they had packed it up before they left to Ponyville. She was about to teleport back to her castle and ask Spike when a knock sounded at the door, startling her. She jumped and, after somewhat calming herself down, went towards the door to answer it.

Before she could even open the door, however, Moondancer barged in, looking quite anxious. "Twilight? Twi?" She stopped shouting the alicorn's name once she saw her and gave her a quick hug before continuing. "I heard you were visiting again, and I really need some help on....something...uh.....important Like, really important."

Twilight blinked; yes, she remembered Moondancer, of course, but she didn't think they were the closest of friends...but, then again, it could be something else she was missing. "Of course I'll help, Moondancer," she smiled, figuring this is what she probably would do if all of her memories were still in tact. "I don't think I'll be of much service, of course, but, what do you need?"

Moondancer looked at her, dead serious. She closed the door and cackled. "I don't think you'll be of much service either," she snarled; Twilight taken aback from the sudden mood change. "But, no matter. The thing I need is you." Her eyes flashed a turquoise color and her legs became black and holey for only the briefest of seconds, but it was a long enough transformation for her to realize who it was. Half a gasp escaped her lips before an ooey green cocoon covered her body.

She watched in horror as Moondancer changed to a mirrored version of her appearance before her eyes. Chrysalis gave out an evil laugh and a scowl towards her captor before teleporting away to Celestia only knew where.


Spike, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle had been looking around for Twilight for the past half hour. There were more than 500 rooms in the castle and only three of them, making their chances of finding the curious princess seriously overwhelming.

"Maybe she's back in Canterlot," Sweetie suggested for the third time since they got there, making Spike roll his eyes at the repetition but keep his tone calm nonetheless.

"Maybe," He sighed, "but she could be around Ponyville, too....we really need to keep a better eye on her when she's in this state." He was about to head towards the second library, halfway out the door, when Twilight suddenly appeared in front of him. He yelped and stumbled back onto the floor, then realized it wasn't a harmful foe and helped himself up. "Sorry, Twi; didn't expect you to pop in so suddenly. Where have you been?!"

Twilight shifted her weight from hoof to hoof, as if nervous, then stopped and looked down her muzzle at the baby drake. "Canterlot." She said simply, "now, if you'll excuse me, I'm tired from staying up all night; I'm going to go to bed." She closed her eyes and marched up the stairs to her bedroom, slamming the door shut behind her.

"Told ya!" Sweetie cheered, "told ya she was in Canterlo--..." She stopped herself abruptly and sat down, getting a strange expression on her face. "You know....I have a weird feeling that that isn't Twilight." She mumbled.

Spike nodded, his little arms folded across his chest. "I know what you mean," he said, "she'd only act that way to anypony if she somehow got her memory wiped again." His eyes widened and he looked at the two fillies, certain they were each thinking the same thing. "You don't think...?" He asked them, blood running cold. The response he got were two wide-eyed stares that mirrored his own.

He quickly rushed up the stairs, Scootaloo right behind. Before Sweetie could follow, however, she slipped on a loose piece of scroll paper. She turned it over and read it to herself.

Spike and Scootaloo,
I've gone back to Canterlot to gather my lab equipment to test a DNA sample on the strands of black mane we have found.
It shouldn't take long; I'll be back in twenty minutes. If it takes me longer, come check on me....just in case.

~Twilight~

Sweetie gasped, grabbed the note with her magic, and raced up the steps to show the others what she had found.

Author's Note:

Happy Fathers Day! :pinkiehappy:

TO BE EDITED

I wanna say this story is about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way done. :applejackunsure: But, was this worth the wait? :P